To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Southern Porch Extension

A place for general chat (non-writing related). Please keep political discussions to the relevant neighborhood forum.

Moderators: cori67, RedBaron, Shann

mikeedwards
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Southern Porch Extension

Postby mikeedwards » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:48 am

Bea and I want to wish everyone at Faithwriters a Very Blessed Resurrection Day. We love you all and greatly appreciate your membership!

In His Grip, Mike & Bea
We need God's Grace because of God's Truth.

BeachGrandma
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Postby BeachGrandma » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:24 am

Yes, please Don, post it. We'd love to read it.

And a very Happy Easter to you, too, Mike and Bea. God bless you both in your work for FaithWriters!

Verna, that was a great interview! I wish there were a dozen or more others who would interview you like that. I would interview you for my website but I gave it up earlier this year because I couldn't keep it up. A case of "All good things must come to an end." (or something like that). It's truly a great book and I hope the sales keep coming in.

I don't know if you all remember this poem I wrote about the day before Easter, how depressed and sad the disciples were, how stunned into silence, how blown away they were by the crucifixion they were. I hope you'll take a minute to read this.

SATURDAY'S SADNESS
by Mariane Holbrook

They walked away from the man on the cross
Unable to even look back.
How could a man who had said He was God
Be the victim of such an attack?

Some of the faithful returned to their homes,
Just needing to be all alone,
While others stood weeping, succumbing to grief,
Emitting a low, tortured groan.

Disciples were stunned, it was too hard to bear;
Some wept; others cursed at His fate.
They tried to remember the last words He said
But for now they would just pray and wait.

The worst of it all began Saturday morn
When the jeers and the mocking began.
“So much for your ‘Savior, your God and your King!’
His death proved he’s just a mere man.”

They dreaded the dawn of another harsh day
But Sunday brought cries from the tomb.
“He’s risen! He’s gone! He’s alive! He’s not dead!”
And the shouting dispelled all their gloom. :!:

They leaped from their beds, many ran through the streets;
It was Sunday, the day’d just begun.
They banged on the door of His Mother that morn
To tell her the news of her Son.

The sadness they’d known just a few hours before
Was forgotten while joy filled the land,
For Jesus had spoken, the stone rolled away!
Even death would obey His command!

All hail, blessed Savior, All hail evermore!
He did what no other could do.
Jesus rose from the dead, it was just like He said,
And He did it for me and for you!

"O Jesus, Jesus, dearest Lord, forgive me if I say
For very love, thy sacred name, a thousand times a day.
O Jesus, Lord, with me abide; I rest in Thee whate'er betide.
Thy gracious smile is my reward. I love, I love Thee, Lord.

Mariane Holbrook

Edy

Postby Edy » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:33 am

Don, I never heard an explanation for the cloth, either, but just assumed it was to remind us of how Jesus' body was lowered to the ground after His death. I had seen a painting along those lines, once.
"Jesus Never Fails!" Love, Edy
The Gospel is such Good News even Christians don't believe it!
The Power of Story
We are the third temple! Acts 7:48, 1 Peter 2:4-5
Essentially Lutheran
My StoriesMy Blog:The Prairie Nightingale

Carole L

Postby Carole L » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:57 am

Doesn't it represent the empty burial cloths his body was wrapped in?

Although I usually see them in a royal purple color so maybe it's his robe?
Carole

Proud to be a 500 member.
I don't know the master plan, but I know the Master has a plan.

http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=34113

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:13 pm

On another subject, I've been reading that after same-sex marriages become legal across the country, the next thing to be pursued will be polygamy. Makes sense. That way, if two gays marry and one decides he wants to bring a member of the opposite sex into the marriage, he legally can. Or if the two original gays want to bring in a third gay into the marriage, they can. The number won't matter; it could be 3 or 30.

Do you wonder how much farther our moral decline will plunge before a heretofore merciful God will lift high his massive mallet, let it crash downward with a monstrous "THUD" and shout in His thunderous voice all across our sinful world, "THAT'S ENOUGH! THAT'S ENOUGH!"

Mariane Holbrook

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:00 pm

BeachGrandma wrote:On another subject, I've been reading that after same-sex marriages become legal across the country, the next thing to be pursued will be polygamy. Makes sense. That way, if two gays marry and one decides he wants to bring a member of the opposite sex into the marriage, he legally can. Or if the two original gays want to bring in a third gay into the marriage, they can. The number won't matter; it could be 3 or 30.

Do you wonder how much farther our moral decline will plunge before a heretofore merciful God will lift high his massive mallet, let it crash downward with a monstrous "THUD" and shout in His thunderous voice all across our sinful world, "THAT'S ENOUGH! THAT'S ENOUGH!"

Not only has His massive mallet been raised, but it has already begun its rapid downward motion...speeding faster...faster...and faster...until a monstrous "THUD" is felt the instant it reaches its target.

Don
John 14:6
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"
http://faithwriters.com/article-details.php?id=41225

http://faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=18654

"The Israel Connection"
http://theisraelconnection.blogspot.com/

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:30 pm

ready2go wrote:The empty cross is often displayed with a long piece of fabric looped across the front side of the vertical beam with the remaining fabric draped over each portion of the horizontal beam. The fabric ends hang down to the ground.

Does anyone know why it is there and what its use might be?

Maybe I am a little slow or simply forgot, but after all these years I don't think I ever knew. However, during last night's Good Friday church service I found out in a most dramatic way.

Does anyone want to share the answer? If none, then, I will explain it later.

Don

Well, Edy's assumption was close.

The cloth was used for lowering the dead body down from the cross. The long cloth was placed across the chest, then, under the arms and over the top of the cross beam. With men on the ground holding onto the two ends of the cloth, the nails through the hands and feet are removed and the body is slowly lowered to the ground.

Near the end of our Good Friday service last night, the lights were turned out and we could hear pounding sounds. Then, the lights were turned on low as we watched a cross being raised with a man fixed to it in crucified position. We could see him in agony and struggling to breathe for several minutes.

Then, there was a loud crash of thunder as the man's head relaxed in death. At the same time "IT IS FINISHED" was displayed on the overhead screen.

Several men came with the cloth and arranged it in the manner I described above. The nails were removed and the man was slowly lowered down to the floor. Then, one of the men picked up the body and, after placing it over his shoulder, he carried the dead man down the center isle of the chapel and out through the chapel doors. The service was over.

It was all done in such a dramatic fashion with the sound effects, the lighting, and the music, that every eye was fixed on the scene. No one made a sound or spoke until they were outside the building. The service produced the intended effect.

Don
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

Edy

Postby Edy » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:43 pm

The Last Word

When our pastor asked me to be one of those doing the reflections for Jesus' Seven Last Words, last night, I realized I'd never heard anyone speak compassionately about the other thief on the cross. So here's what resulted (it flowed through my fingers, but I doubt the Authorship was mine):

2013 Good Friday - Seven Last Words

Luke 23:46 - Then Jesus calling out with a loud voice, said, 'Father, into your hands I commit my spirit.' And having said this, He breathed his last.

==Reflection==The Last Word

We heard this Rabbi speak. We heard the stories He told. I especially liked the one about the lost son who returned to his father. If I had a father, perhaps that might have been me. But, I had no home to go to. So, I got by, breaking into others' homes to take what I needed. ...OH, this pain!

The pain of the flesh is bad enough, but the anguish of the heart is simply devastating. Why did my life turn out this way? But, more important, why is this great Rabbi dying alongside us? Does a person's life make no difference in the end? Good or bad, we all die!

Oh God! .....what am I saying? .....In this agony, my cries could fill Jerusalem. But, I won't give them the satisfaction.

This Rabbi has me confused. Earlier He cried out to God, asking why He had forsaken Him, but now He calls God "Father," and gives up His spirit to Him, rather like a last will and testament, turning over all He has to His heirs.

Why can't it end for me, like that? Why cannot I just announce that I've had enough and say goodbye?

I know! --- The Lord is giving me time to repent. What I said to the Rabbi was inexcusable. My fellow thief was right to ask, "Do you not fear God?"

"This man has done nothing wrong," he told me. And, he was right. Even the centurion, just now, had to admit, "Certainly, this man was innocent!"

He sure wouldn't say that about me. I'm guilty as sin. OH God! It's too late to tell this Rabbi, the Messiah, that I'm sorry. What can I do to make things right? Time is running out. I can't make it! OH God, what can I do?

Oh, what was it He said to that woman taken in adultry? "Where are your accusers?"

I am my own worst accuser. But, it's too late for me to make amends. My life ends, bound to this cross...oh, but I remember, now, the rest of His words, "Neither do I condemn thee. Go and sin no more."

Oh, all merciful Lord. Thank you for your Word. I can die in peace, after all! My Lord, my Messiah, into your hands I, too, commit my spirit.
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:59 am

I'm brokenhearted. My only living sister, Norma, who has been closer to me than anyone else ever, is in the hospital in Boston and diagnosed with lung cancer and cancer in her abdomen. She was admitted last week with severe leg cramps and discovered through blood tests that she was low on sodium. Her GP had the test results 3 months ago but failed to make the connection. The hospital gave her some very high powered pain killers with which she was not familiar and it sent her into 3 frightening days of disorientation and hallucinations. It was AWFUL what she went through. Last evening the hospital doctor told her husband about the cancer. When Andy called me, I felt like I'd been kicked in the stomach with a heavy time bomb. If you recall, she was the one who was healed of cancer in 1958 while serving with her husband as a missionary in Africa. They finally retired from Africa after 35 years' service because she contracted an African fungus in her lungs which caused terrible asthma and emphysema. She's been on oxygen for over 15 years, still teaching a women's Bible study in their home while Andy pastors a church near Boston.They have 3 grown children (all in the ministry) and several grandchildren. She will likely be released from the hospital tomorrow and hospice care will be given to her at home. Please pray for her and her precious family. And for me. "Hitherto hath the Lord helped us."

Mariane Holbrook

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:25 am

My heart and prayers go out to you, Mariane, and to the entire family. It's so difficult to understand why God allows these things to happen to those we love so dearly.

As I have done in recent weeks, I'm quite sure you are also asking, "Oh God...why, why? I don't understand why this needs to happen!"

I still don't have answers to my questions except for the knowledge that His Will must be carried out in all of our lives.

Don

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

Edy

Postby Edy » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:18 pm

So the sisters sent to him, saying, "Lord, he whom you love is ill." But when Jesus heard it he said, "This illness is not unto death; it is for the glory of God, so that the Son of God may be glorified by means of it." Now Jesus loved Martha and her sister and Laz'arus. ---John 11:3-5

As I read your news, Mariane, this scripture came to mind. I'm praying for the Comforter to provide you and your whole extended family with a remarkable sense of the Great Physician's healing presence. Since we walk in the light of the resurrected Jesus we can rejoice knowing He gladly bears all our griefs for us in exchange for the promise of better days ahead.

Thank you for letting us share this prayer burden with you, Sweetheart, knowing what you have experienced over the years, that with God, nothing is impossible!
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

deejay

Postby deejay » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:04 pm

Earlier, like about a couple hours ago, I ran across an ad asking should the Supreme Court ban gay marriage. I went somewhere else on the site it was on, and it disappeared. Just a few minutes ago, I was on another site and the ad came up, so I clicked on it. I voted no, there are four-five other questions they ask, like who did you vote for in the last election and what is your religious preference, and sent it. A minute ago, I got the confirmation email and got the survey results. 69% of Americans say gay marriages should NOT be legalized. The site is www.newsmax.com, why not go ahead and add to the no votes.

Verna

Postby Verna » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:05 pm

Mariane, my heart breaks with your for your sister, and my heart breaks for you as well. May God bless you with peace in His wisdom. Sending the warmest hugs.

Still we're waiting for word to go and greet our new great grandson when he comes into the world. I think Titus is a wonderful name.
Verna

A merry heart doeth good like a medicine...
Proverb 17:22

Facebook author page: Verna Cole Mitchell
http://www.magnificomanuscripts.com/

Ms. Barbie

Postby Ms. Barbie » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:02 am

I'm sorry for the news about your sister, Mariane. Must be extra difficult being so far away from her. ((((((hugs))))))
Barb Culler

Edy

Postby Edy » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:31 pm

Time for school!

I'll post the correct answers after folks have time to give it a try. Naturally, I got them all correct, so it should be a breeze for you. :lol: ...'cause I'm older than the Baby Boomers, so I should be more forgetful!

Actually, what does that say about us - we're more attentive? our brains are full of too much clutter? Well, whatever, have fun!

MEMORY TEST!
(Have a paper and pencil handy to record your answers..
Your mind isn't as sharp as it once was!)

This is NOT a pushover test. It's a Baby Boomer era test !

There are 20 questions. Average score is 12 .
This one will be difficult for the younger set.. (DUDE!)

Have fun, but NO peeking!

When you forward this to your friends & family ,
Put your score on the subject line and let them know your score .

Don't forget to forward it back to the one who sent it to you as well.

Good luck, youngsters

1. What builds strong bodies 12 ways?
A. Flintstones vitamins
B. The Buttmaster
C. Spaghetti
D. Wonder Bread
E. Orange Juice
F. Milk
G. Cod Liver Oil

2. Before he was Muhammed Ali, he was...
A. Sugar Ray Robinson.
B. Roy Orbison..
C. Gene Autry.
D. Rudolph Valentino.
E. Fabian.
F. Mickey Mantle.
G. Cassius Clay.

3. Pogo, the comic strip character said, 'We have met the enemy and.... A. It's you.
B. He is us.
C. It's the Grinch.
D. He wasn't home.
E. He's really me and you.
F. We quit.
G. He surrendered.

4. Good night, David..
A.. Good night, Chet
B. Sleep well.
C. Good night, Irene.
D.. Good night, Gracie.
E. See you later, alligator.
F. Until tomorrow.
G. Good night, Steve..

5. You'll wonder where the yellow went...
A. When you use Tide
B. When yo lose your crayons.
C. When you clean your tub.
D. If you paint the room blue.
E. If you buy a soft water tank.
F. When you use Lady Clairol.
G. When you brush your teeth with Pepsodent.

6. Before he was the Skipper's Little Buddy, Bob Denver was Dobie's
friend...
A. Stuart Whitman.
B Randolph Scott.
C. Steve Reeves..
D . Maynard G. Krebs.
E. Corky B. Dork.
F.. Dave the Whale.
G. Zippy Zoo.

7. Liar, liar...
A. You're a liar.
B. Your nose is growing.
C. Pants on fire.
D. Join the choir
E. Jump up higher.
F. On the wire.
G. I'm telling Mom

8. Meanwhile, back in Metropolis, Superman fights the never ending battle "for truth, justice and.....
A. Wheaties.
B. Lois Lane.
C. TV rating.
D. World peace.
E. Red tights.
F. The American Way.
G. New headlines.

9. Hey kids! What time is it?
A. It's time for Yogi Bear.
B It's time to do your homework.
C. It's Howdy Doody Time.
D. It's time for Romper Room.
E. It's bedtime.
F... The Mighty Mouse Hour..
G. Scoopy Doo Time..

10. Lions and tigers and bears..! ..
A.. Yikes.
B. Oh, no..
C. Gee whiz.
D. I'm scared...
E. Oh my.
F. Help! Help!
G. Let's run.

11. Bob Dylan advised us never to trust anyone....
A. Over 40.
B. Wearing a uniform.
C. Carrying a briefcase.
D. Over 30.
E. You don't know.
F. Who says, 'Trust me'..
G. Who eats tofu.

12. NFL quarterback who appeared in a television commercial wearing pantyhose...
A. Troy Aikman
B. Kenny Stabler
C. Joe Namath
D. Roger Staubach
E. Joe Montana
F. Steve Young
G. John Elway

13. Brylcream....
A. Smear it on.
B. You'll smell great.
C. Tame that cowlick.
D. Grease ball heaven.
E. It's a dream.
F. We're your team.
G. A little dab'll do ya.

14. I found my thrill...
A. In Blueberry muffins.
B. With my man, Bill.
C. Down at the mill.
D. Over the windowsill.
E. With thyme and dill.
F. Too late to enjoy.
G. On Blueberry Hill.

15.. Before Robin Williams, Peter Pan was played by...
A. Clark Gable.
B. Mary Martin.
C. Doris Day.
D. Errol Flynn.
E. Sally Fields.
F Jim Carrey.
G. Jay Leno.

16. Name the Beatles...
A. John, Steve, George, Ringo
B. John, Paul, George, Roscoe
C. John, Paul, Stacey, Ringo
D. Jay, Paul, George, Ringo
E. Lewis, Peter, George, Ringo
F. Jason, Betty, Skipper, Hazel
G. John, Paul, George, Ringo

17. I wonder, wonder, who.
A. Who ate the leftovers?
B. Who did the laundry?
C. Was it you?
D. Who wrote the book of love?
E. Who I am?
F. Passed the test?
G. Knocked on the door?

18. I'm strong to the finish...
A. Cause I eats my broccoli.
B. Cause I eats me spinach.
C. Cause I lift weights.
D. Cause I'm the hero.
E. And don't you for get it.
F. Cause Olive Oyl loves me.
G. To outlast Bruto.

19. When it's least expected, you're elected, you're the star today.
A. Smile, you're on Candid Camera.
B. Smile, you're on Star Search.
C. Smile, you won the lottery.
D. Smile, we're watching you..
E. Smile, the world sees you.
F. Smile, you're a hit.
G. Smile, you're on TV.

20. What do M & M's do?
A. Make your tummy happy.!
B. Melt in your mouth, not in your pocket.
C. Make you fat.
D. Melt your heart.
E. Make you popular.
F. Melt in your mouth, not in your hand.
G. Come in colors.
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

PreviousNext

Return to The Water Cooler