To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Southern Porch Extension

A place for general chat (non-writing related). Please keep political discussions to the relevant neighborhood forum.

Moderators: RedBaron, cori67, Shann

BeachGrandma
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: Southern Porch Extension

Postby BeachGrandma » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:47 pm

That wasn't supposed to be a funny piece, Don. It was a serious writing and there's no one who knows you better than Carol. It stands to reason that she would be called on in heaven for suggestions for your crown because she could personalize it better than anyone. For instance, she might select an emerald for your crown, ground and polished into the shape of your dog Betsy, to show your love for animals. Or a gleaming diamond, cut into a tiny bird-like figurine representing the birds that flocked to your lake every year. There might be a miniature vacuum cleaner made from a fine ruby to indicate what a good housekeeper you are, or a teeny-tiny shopping cart cut from a stunning ruby since you did all the grocery shopping. Come to think of it, Carol might be reading this right now ("Hi Carol!") and could use some of my suggestions.

Who knows what good things God has prepared for those who love Him and served Him faithfully for many years?
:bow :bow :bow :bow :bow
"Then sings my soul, my Savior God, to Thee,
'How great Thou art, how great Thou art..."

Mariane Holbrook

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:53 pm

Mariane, you're making me cry. Tears mess up my keyboard. I hate when that happens.

Don
John 14:6
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"
http://faithwriters.com/article-details.php?id=41225

http://faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=18654

"The Israel Connection"
http://theisraelconnection.blogspot.com/

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:58 pm

It seems like my phone has been ringing almost non-stop for over three weeks. A lot of the calls have just been the usual stuff - sales persons, charities, friends, wrong numbers, etc. It's been enough to drive me crazy.

But today was different. There were no phonecalls. Nada...zip...zilch...nothing at all. It was either like nobody wanted to talk to me, or everyone in the whole world had lost my phone number. Granted, the phone needed some down-time to rest, but the sudden silence drove me crazy.

Ahhh...problem solved! I thought about using my cell phone to call my house phone just so I could hear it ring again. Yes!!! 8)

Ring...ring...ring....

But wait! That wouldn't work very well because if I answered the house phone, no one would respond on the calling line, and vice versa. Bummer! :?

I know what I should do! Holding the two phones up to both ears should do the trick. But then, I would be talking to myself, and I wouldn't be able to hear what I had just said. That would enough to drive me crazy too. :shock:

Maybe I should just talk to myself without the phones. Yep...that's a good idea! I do that often anyway. :lol:

Don
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

Joanney

Postby Joanney » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:34 pm

I didn't realize it had been so long since I have been on the porch! I don't have time tonight to read the 10 pages of posts. But I did see Don's comment that I could tell about Carol's funeral. I will describe it the way I did to friends: it was the most beautiful celebration of a Homecoming that I have been to in a long time.

Life with me has been busy. We are moving on Monday so my spare time has been filled with sorting and packing, but not all of it has been at our house. We have friends who were given a week to vacate their home and I spent a few days helping them pack as well. I am looking forward to having downsized, but it is not fun doing the work.

Tomorrow morning I have to meet with my lawyer, Paul and his lawyer, and a mediator. Because my budget did not have enough room to pay the medical bills from last March, my credit rating is too low to refinance and therefore get Paul's name off the mortgage by August. So, he wants to go back to negotiations as a result. He suggested he get primary custody and end all financial support (perhaps even me pay him), but my lawyer said the problem has to do with the property, the solution will have to do with the property. It will not affect the parenting time or monthly payments.

When we were going through the divorce, we never discussed who would pay for the boys' auto insurance once they started driving. Greg is taking his driving test on Friday, so we will discuss that also.

Please pray that negotiations go well and that things all work out. I have had a peace about the whole thing since my lawyer told me that it not affecting parenting time or payments around Valentine's Day, but now that it is right around the corner, I am starting to worry. I think that has more to do with getting the paperwork ready. (I still need to copy and make sure I have everything,)
ImageImage

"We are not sinners because we sin, we sin because we are sinners."

You have wearied the LORD with your words.
“How have we wearied him?” you ask.
By saying, “All who do evil are good in the eyes of the LORD, and he is pleased with them” or “Where is the God of justice?”

Malachi 2:17

Carole L

Postby Carole L » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:17 pm

Bill got a job!!!
Sent in resume last Thursday and they called Friday morning to set up interview for Monday. Second interview was yesterday. Called today to say it was his. He goes in tomorrow to fill out paperwork and set up a background check.
He will be working for the cities housing authority. One of the benefits is a city truck to drive so we will be a two vehicle family again! No more begging for rides.
Don't know start date yet.
Carole

Proud to be a 500 member.
I don't know the master plan, but I know the Master has a plan.

http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=34113

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:39 am

Carole, that's wonderful, wonderful news! Praise God! Has he been out of work quite awhile? I know you'll loving having access to a car again! Keep us posted about a starting date! I'm so happy for you all!

Joanney, you can count on our prayers. I'm praying that Paul will come to the meeting amenable and anxious to work things out. I must have missed it, but what are you moving into? Another house, apartment, etc? It's hard to believe Greg is ready to drive!'

Speaking of meetings with lawyers, Tim has another custody hearing on April 11. Talk about stress! He looks so thin and it's because he faces one crisis after another with his ex. It's time this thing was settled for good.

I think I'll get some sleep.
"Then sings my soul, my Savior God, to Thee,
'How great Thou art, how great Thou art..."

Mariane Holbrook

Carole L

Postby Carole L » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:41 pm

That job Bill had at the air base ended in Sept,. so he's been collecting unemployment and looking for another one since then. God's timing in once again perfect, this was the last week for the unemployment!

Beautiful weather here today, warm enough to open the door, but going to get cold again, even a possible forecast of snow early next week!

This has been one crazy winter.

Trying to clean the house, gathering up all those dust bunnies and shooing them out side to do their multiplying. I'm hosting book club here next Tuesday, and hopefully, Bill will be at work, so I'm putting him to good use while I still have the opportunity.

Trees are greening, grass is growing. Pollen is falling, floating, blowing.
Probably shouldn't have the door open, but the house needs some fresh air, desperately, well, ok, maybe I'm the one that needs it.
Carole

Proud to be a 500 member.
I don't know the master plan, but I know the Master has a plan.

http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=34113

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:03 pm

I have questions for anyone who might have some answers.

Carol belonged to a mail-order book club, and was a serious reader of hard cover books. She would often read 50 to 100 books a year. Sometimes she would share some of certain authors with a reader friend, and she would also give some to our library. Otherwise, after the book was read, it would go into her collection to be read again.

There must be 40 or 50 unread books in her closet. There also must be several hundred "already-read" books in her "read-again" collection.

I don't read and I don't know anyone who is a serious reader. So, what in the world can I do with them? There must be several hundred pounds of books in her collection - way too much for me to box-up and haul to different places.

Now for item #2:
Carol was also a serious worker of difficult jigsaw puzzles. She would order boxes of them - work them once, then, donate many of them to a charity. There are boxes of puzzles (50 to 100) to also dispose of in some way. Any ideas?

Carol had written final instructions for most everything else she owned, but not for the books and puzzles.

Help!

Don

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

Edy

Postby Edy » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:35 pm

Don, we get flyers from several different charities that will pick up things we want to donate, ARC, Epilepsy Foundation, Veterans and more. They re-sell what they collect to fund their work. I've only dealt with ARC, and I recall they had a limit on how many books they would take at a time (or was it magazines?), but others might take it all.

We have too many books filling our house, too. Whenever we drive past a Half-Price Bookstore, I'm so tempted to bring in a bag or two of books to see what they will give us for them.

When the weather gets nice, you could have a garage sale - that is if it is allowed in your cul-de-sac. Or, sometimes churches have parking lot sales and want donations.

Before doing anything, I'd check to see if your children want to sort out some of the items for themselves.
"Jesus Never Fails!" Love, Edy
The Gospel is such Good News even Christians don't believe it!
The Power of Story
We are the third temple! Acts 7:48, 1 Peter 2:4-5
Essentially Lutheran
My StoriesMy Blog:The Prairie Nightingale

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:48 pm

Edy, since we have donated many times to charities, I know how they work. Yes, they are a possibility, especially for the puzzles.

My kids don't want any of the books or the puzzles. They are too busy and have enough stuff of their own without adding more to their pile.

We have lived here for 24 years. There has never been a grage sale in our immediate neighborhood. Maybe there is some un-written rule for our culdesac that I don't know about. Besides, the neighbors are the type that would rather go to a classy store and pay big bucks for new.

Don

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

Joanney

Postby Joanney » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:41 am

Half Priced books is not a good option for large volumes of books, unless you have the time to take them in two or three at a time. They seem to pay less if you take in a whole box or several boxes.

Our church is having a garage sale the first week in May if you want someplace to donate them. I would offer to pick them up, but the first day for donations is the day of my surgery, so that won't work. Actually, I am planning to do a garage (moving) sale this coming week. I could pick up what will fit in my car this afternoon when I am done with my appointment in your town (about 3:00) and try to sell them for you. Then if you want, I could donate what remains to the church garage sale, as I will be having someone pick up stuff from the house for donation anyway.

Well, the negotiations with Paul ended better than I even imagined possible. He was NOT amenable, at any point, and his lawyer had to calm him down in another room for the second half of the session. I had been thinking that once we get out of the house, I could put it on the market and try to avoid the foreclosure and maybe even come out ahead. The agreed solution was that if the house sold before the foreclosure, it would limit the damage to Paul's credit so the house has to be on the market by April 8. The tax value of the house is more than I owe, so there is a possibility that I will break even or maybe even walk away with some money from the sale. I have a Realtor coming on Wed to look at the house.

There was an issue of a Roth that I had brought up mainly as a bargaining tool: the Decree states that it is mine non-marital, but provides no way of transferring it from Paul's name to my name. I figured if nothing else, we could tell him that he had enough of my money to stop the foreclosure and then he could have the house, or he could consider it compensation for damage to his credit rating. Instead, my lawyer choose to wait until the house issue was agreed upon and then bring it up. So now he also has to transfer to my name the amount of the balance at the time of the divorce, also by April 8. We offered in the initial presentation that he can keep the approximately $3000 it has increased since then as a token for any damage to his credit rating. He still was not very happy that he was loosing over $8000 of his Roth.

We have a busy schedule today, and a lot of work to still do to be ready to move on Monday, so I should be spending every available minute packing. My goal is to be done with all sorting and packing by bedtime on Saturday. I told my singles Bible Study in an email this morning, that I am thinking anything not yet sorted by 10 PM on Saturday is simply going in the trash. :lol:

This morning, Greg is taking his driver's test for the second time, then he has to be at the Prior Lake campus of church at 2:00 as he will be one of the Disciples in the Last Supper room of the prayer walk. I have an appointment at 2:00 in Don's town, then Simon and I will go to the Seder meal at the Shakopee campus this evening and find time to do the prayer walk either before or afterwards. Monday at 9 AM we have people coming to help us move to a rental townhouse in Shakopee.
ImageImage

"We are not sinners because we sin, we sin because we are sinners."

You have wearied the LORD with your words.
“How have we wearied him?” you ask.
By saying, “All who do evil are good in the eyes of the LORD, and he is pleased with them” or “Where is the God of justice?”

Malachi 2:17

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:11 am

Joanney wrote:Half Priced books is not a good option for large volumes of books, unless you have the time to take them in two or three at a time. They seem to pay less if you take in a whole box or several boxes.

Our church is having a garage sale the first week in May if you want someplace to donate them. I would offer to pick them up, but the first day for donations is the day of my surgery, so that won't work. Actually, I am planning to do a garage (moving) sale this coming week. I could pick up what will fit in my car this afternoon when I am done with my appointment in your town (about 3:00) and try to sell them for you. Then if you want, I could donate what remains to the church garage sale, as I will be having someone pick up stuff from the house for donation anyway.

Thanks, Joanney, but it is not a good time to do anything with the books. You are far too busy to deal with them, as am I for a while.

Besides, I am not yet emotionally or physically capable enough to sort, box, and haul books out of closets, bookcases, and up from the basement to a place where they could be easily picked up by someone. It's just too soon for me to handle it.

Also, I will not be at home this evening and Easter Sunday.

Don

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

Edy

Postby Edy » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:03 am

Praising the Lord with you, Joanney. You have such a generous heart. Reminds me of this morning's Bible reading from Luke 6:38 ---

Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.”
"Jesus Never Fails!" Love, Edy
The Gospel is such Good News even Christians don't believe it!
The Power of Story
We are the third temple! Acts 7:48, 1 Peter 2:4-5
Essentially Lutheran
My StoriesMy Blog:The Prairie Nightingale

Verna

Postby Verna » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:58 pm

Thankful here today for answers to prayer for Joanney and for Carole. Our God cares about every aspect of our lives as we give our concerns to Him.

One thought, Don, to consider for the future is that Amazon buys usued books from you. You can look at their page on the internet. You wouldn't have to do sorting --just make a list of the titles that you send them. I'm not sure about the logistics or the shipping cost. Another suggestion is to donate religious books --fiction and nonfiction--to church libraries and the others to school or regular libraries--all in her name. I imagine they would even pick them up for you. Now I'm out of ideas.

MKMcclintock.com is featuring my poetry book and an interview with me on her blog page today. If I pick up a few sales, that would be nice.

We're still on hold for announcement that our younger granddaughter is going to the hospital. They live about an hour and a half away. We want to be there when Titus comes into the world.
I wish we had a better world to offer him, but because of Christ's sacrifice for our sins and the promise wbecause of His resurrection, there is a better world to come. May you each one have a blessed Easter.

P.S.--already posted before I remembered I was to add color!
Verna

A merry heart doeth good like a medicine...
Proverb 17:22

Facebook author page: Verna Cole Mitchell
http://www.magnificomanuscripts.com/

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:04 am

The empty cross is often displayed with a long piece of fabric looped across the front side of the vertical beam with the remaining fabric draped over each portion of the horizontal beam. The fabric ends hang down to the ground.

Does anyone know why it is there and what its use might be?

Maybe I am a little slow or simply forgot, but after all these years I don't think I ever knew. However, during last night's Good Friday church service I found out in a most dramatic way.

Does anyone want to share the answer? If none, then, I will explain it later.

Don

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

PreviousNext

Return to The Water Cooler