To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

The Neverending Story

If Fiction is your forte, this is the forum for you. This is the place to share information and get help on the road to writing the next great novel.

Moderators: itsjoanne, Sparrow, RedBaron

iRoswell
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)

The Neverending Story

Postby iRoswell » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:36 pm

Listening to the drip, over and over again, Zander decided it was time to put an end to it. Late nights were not his strong suit, so the frustration of having to get out of bed because of a stupid leaky faucet did not bode well for getting a good nights sleep.
"Why now?"
The meeting in the morning was too important to ruin and lack of sleep was not an excuse. After pulling on the handle, and a count of fifteen, he was headed back to bed. But right when he's about to lay down, a creak in the floor spins him around. His heart in his throat, he scans the room.

----------------------------------

The game is simple. You write the next part, keeping it to a paragraph or two, and then pass the baton to the next writer.

I thought it would be a fun excercise to get to know each other, and our writing styles, better. If this isn't the right forum, let me know and I'll start it where it fits.

Thanks,
Joseph
"Reality doesn't care if you believe in it."
Boba Fett

tomoral
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: The Neverending Story

Postby tomoral » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:32 am

I think this is a great idea. If only I could think of how to proceed with this already suspenseful story. Who could be making the floor creak? Too early in the morning yet....

This should be fun though!
God Bless the beasts and the children
Give them shelter from the storms.
Children are our tomorrow
Keep them daily from the sorrow
Of the beasts in life

http://www.faithwriters.com/websites/my ... p?id=57394

VirgilY
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)

Postby VirgilY » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:32 pm

“Holy Guacamole!” Zander twisted knuckles into his eyes trying to erase what he saw, or was it a hallucination? A forty pound rat with fangs? Somebody must have slipped something into that bowl of chili con carne y frijoles at Pepito’s. Or, it’s the loony tune farm for me, he thought.

Feigning bravery, he lifted a nine iron from the golf bag against the wall and stepped forward growling, “Scram!”
Proverbs 16:3 Commit your works to the Lord, and your thoughts will be established. (NKJ)

Hoomi

Postby Hoomi » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:38 am

"Really?" the rat said. "A nine-iron? Surely, a lie such as this would suit your five iron better."

"This is impossible!" Zander muttered. "A talking rat, that knows golf?"

The rat examined the point of one of his long claws. "Typical," he said. "You're facing a rat the size of a german shepherd, which is unheard of by your science, and you're more concerned that I both talk, and know the difference between a nine iron and a five iron."

"Well, then," Zander said, feeling a lit of his confidence returning to him, since the rat had yet to make an aggressive move. "What should I be concerned about?"

The rat smiled (which was disturbing in itself with his huge fangs). "You should be concerned by what's behind you."
“It is the artist who realizes that there is a supreme force above him and works gladly away as a small apprentice under God's heaven.” ~ Alexandr Solzhenitsyn

Marta's Pod, the sequel to Cardan's Pod, on Kickstarter now.

deejay

Postby deejay » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:50 pm

Zander whipped around, nine iron at the ready. As he did so, his internal alarm system screamed in his head "Fool! Rats are intelligent! It's the oldest trick in the book!" A minute later, Zander discovered his alarm, as usual, was dead on.

Hoomi

Postby Hoomi » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:23 pm

(Dang. Where is everybody?)

The rat was suddenly behind him, stretching up on its hind legs. The clawed front paws rested on Zander's shoulders, and the furry snout rested close to his ear. "See?" said the rat, lifting one claw to point at a strange shimmering in the dark room. "The portal has been shifting around the room, and had ended up behind you. You wouldn't have wanted to fall backwards through it."

"I... guess not," Zander said.

"Falling forward is much better," the rat said, and pushed off the floor with his legs. He held tight to Zander's back as they fell through the shimmering portal together.
“It is the artist who realizes that there is a supreme force above him and works gladly away as a small apprentice under God's heaven.” ~ Alexandr Solzhenitsyn

iRoswell
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)

Postby iRoswell » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:13 pm

Face first, Zander and the rat land on a soft blanket of snow. Rising to his knees, Zander looks around in wonder.

"So beautiful," he says.

"Yes it is my friend," the rat says next to him.

"Where are we?"

"First things first, I am Antonio Baliammo, lord of Maltair." Antonio bends at the waist, in a sort of bow.

Zander stares at the rat for a moment, trying to figure all this out. Finally, he decides that this is too much of an opportunity to pass up.

"I'm Zander, lord of nothing, and confused beyond words."

Antonio laughs, "yes, I'm sure you are. Come, my castle is just over the ridge. I will tell you everything then."

Zander shakes his, "I can't believe I'm talking to a rat!" He rises and the two set out for the castle.
"Reality doesn't care if you believe in it."
Boba Fett

tomoral

Postby tomoral » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:26 pm

Suddenly, out of nowhere, a large black animal with green eyes appears. A huge black cat, much larger than Antonio the rat.

Zander screams and looks at Antonio, as if to ask what they should do.

Antonio does not seem the least bit afraid.
Of the beasts in life

deejay

Postby deejay » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:50 pm

"Hello, Thomas, how are you?" Antonio seemed quite at ease with the cat. A wide grin spread over the cat's face. "I'm fine, Antonio. Who's the two-legs you have with you?" Antonio turned to Zander. "This is Thomas Felinius, lord of Purrsia, the kingdom next to mine. We signed a peace treaty with his people, and actually trade with them. Thomas," he said, turning back to the cat, "This is Zander, a human from Earth, and he fell through the portal just now. I'm showing him around." Thomas' voice, Zander noted, was accented with a purr. "Welcome to Maltair, Zander. I hope you'll find time to visit Purrsia as well." Zander collected himself and replied, "Thank you, Thomas, I hope to do so."

Hoomi

Postby Hoomi » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:53 pm

"Fell?" said Zander, suddenly realizing what had been said. "I was pushed!"

Antonio twitched his nose, and then smoothed back an errant tuft of fur. "Semantics," he said.

"I was pushed by you," Zander clarified.

Thomas settled down, tucking his massive front paws under his chest, and watched the exchange.

"Immaterial," Antonio said. "It was inevitable that you were going through the portal. I just made sure that when you did, you landed here, in my kingdom, instead of in the Chilopod Kingdom. Trust me - you would NOT have wanted to land there."

"Chilopod?" Zander asked.

"Centipedes," Thomas replied, and then shook his head as though he'd just bitten into something bitter.

beaedwards
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby beaedwards » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:38 pm

"Oh yes," continued Thomas with a shudder which tousled his otherwise unruffled fur, "each and every one of their reprehensible, smelly little feet dripping with fungus..."

"Ewww stop it already Thomas, we don't need to rehearse the numerous reason we banned those nasty lil buggers to Chilopod. Just be thankful we don't have to worry about them slithering up our..."

"Hey stop that will you!" squealed Antonio as Thomas surreptitiously tickled his underside with some type of enormous feather.
Last edited by beaedwards on Fri May 03, 2013 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

deejay

Postby deejay » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:31 pm

A soft whoosh sounded, followed by a screech like someone stepped on a cat's tail. A lilac-point Siamese on some kind of hover-sled hung in the air nearby. "Your Excellency!" gasped its furry rider, "Barkivania is attacking! The centipedes have joined forces with them, and are headed this way!" With that, the cat fell from the hover-sled, facedown in the snow. Zander noticed a large arrow in the cat's back. Thomas cried, "Oh, no! This means war! Who let the dogs out, and why are they joining forces with the centipedes?"
Antonio said, "I'll activate my forces and join you. But first, I must see to the safety of my guest." The next thing Zander knew, he and Antonio were flying over the snow in the hover-sled, as Thomas screamed to the sky, "You will be avenged, Max! Your wife and kittens will be comforted...." the rest of his words disappeared as the sled flew over the ridge to Antonio's manor.

tomoral

Postby tomoral » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:40 pm

i am loving this story!! :superhappy
Of the beasts in life

Hoomi

Postby Hoomi » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:54 pm

"I have a stupid question," Zander yelled over the noise of the hovercraft and the wind.

"The only stupid question is the one that isn't asked," Antonio said. "What is your question?"

"How on earth can any creature without thumbs handle a bow and arrow?"

"I have never thought about that before," said Antonio, and flipped his tail around to rub his chin. "Now that I do, I realize something."

"What's that?"

"There is such a thing as a stupid question. You see, you're not on Earth, so how something could happen on Earth is not relevant to here."

deejay

Postby deejay » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:51 pm

"Maybe they're designed differently than the ones on Earth," offered Zander. "Completely possible," said Antonio. "Here we are. You'll meet my lovely wife and children, and have a tour of the manor while I'm leading my troops. Whatever you do, if someone tells you to do something, do it. If they tell you not to do something, don't do it. Things are different here, so don't be a know-it-all and disobey. Got it?" Zander nodded. "Got it."

The entrance to the hover-sled bay suddenly yawned before them, then snapped shut like a trap after their entry. No sooner had an attendant taken possession of the hover-sled, Antonio called out , "Assemble the troops! The dogs and centipedes are attacking! Sound the alarm!" Zander and Antonio got off the sled and headed for a nearby doorway, Antonio in the lead.

Next

Return to Fiction Forum