To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Southern Porch Extension

A place for general chat (non-writing related). Please keep political discussions to the relevant neighborhood forum.

Moderators: cori67, RedBaron, Shann

ready2go
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: Southern Porch Extension

Postby ready2go » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:18 am

Here is a link to Carol's obituary published this morning.

Don

http://www.legacy.com/funerals/washburn ... =163452910
John 14:6
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"
http://faithwriters.com/article-details.php?id=41225

http://faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=18654

"The Israel Connection"
http://theisraelconnection.blogspot.com/

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

Verna

Postby Verna » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:16 am

Condolences to our Christian brother on the porch.
We will keep praying for you and your family, Don.

Here is about five minutes of spiritual encouragement for us all from a great American leader.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/OvN1jTkzXbY?rel=0
Verna

A merry heart doeth good like a medicine...
Proverb 17:22

Facebook author page: Verna Cole Mitchell
http://www.magnificomanuscripts.com/

Allison

Postby Allison » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:49 pm

I'm doing pretty well. Sleep is still the main issue, as I can't get more than 1 to 2 hours at a time, which is getting really, really frustrating. Overall, I'm getting enough to function without napping, but then again I'm only sitting at home playing on the computer, watching TV, etc. for the most part. I'm hoping I'm done with the walker by the end of this week, and I MIGHT get to go to church this Sunday. We'll see.
Isaiah 40:30-31 (NIV)

Verna

Postby Verna » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:27 pm

Thanks for the report, Allison.
I hope you'll steadily get stronger and be able to sleep more.

I'd no idea what a blessing would be mine to be a great grandmother! Children will keep you young! Dennis was born when I was just 21, and Debra when I was 24. I "grew up" with them! :)
Verna

deejay

Postby deejay » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:31 pm

Don, that is the most beautiful obituary I've ever read. I pray that those who read it will be encouraged in their own lives, and bring people to Christ.

Green Leaves

Postby Green Leaves » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:03 pm

Your love and pride in Carol came through so strongly in what you wrote, Don. And even in an obituary, your witness ministers to all who read it. I couldn't help but think you were blessing your wife as a Proverbs 31 woman. I pray you will experience God's nearness in the coming days that will be so hard.
http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=45576

"God has not called me to be successful, God has called me to be faithful." Mother Teresa

"...not to advance in the spiritual life is to go back. But those who have the gale of the Holy Spirit go forward even in sleep.". Brother Lawrence

Laurie

Postby Laurie » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:28 pm

Don, thanks for posting a link to Carol's obituary. Such a nice picture of her. Thinking of you in these days leading to the memorial service.

Allison, glad you're coming along, but it's too bad you can't sleep better yet. Sleep deprivation is so hard to deal with.

Verna, I'm smiling hearing about your great grandma status. :)

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:39 am

Over the past couple of days I have jotted down several random thoughts surrounding events of the past few weeks. Here are some of them:

~ ~ ~

In the final weeks before Carol was called Home to be with the Lord, we both sensed that the end was near. We would spend as much time together as possible, sitting hand in hand at her bedside with tears flowing often at 2:00 or 3:00 in the morning, just praying, sharing our inner feelings, our memories, and comforting one another. It was during those times that I could picture in my mind’s eye God-sent angels positioned on each side of her bed with wings wide-spread and touching wingtip to wingtip forming a shield of protection over us. Carol and I had an unbreakable bond between us, but our bond with our Lord and Savior was even greater. He promised to be with us until the end...and He was.

~ ~ ~

Not long ago Carol told me she wished she could be a little mouse in a corner during her funeral. She wanted to hear the Pastor's message and enjoy the music, and greet everyone who was there. Well, there probably wouldn’t be any mice in the Chapel, but I know she would be there in our hearts and thoughts.

From within heaven’s gates I believe that Carol would be shouting loudly to surviving family and friends here on earth. She would warn that if they are not absolutely certain they are a sinner saved by grace alone, and know they are a heaven-bound child of God, then, they must to do some business with Him today, and receive His free gift of salvation. As Carol knows, there is no promise of a tomorrow for anyone.

~ ~ ~

I believe that today Carol is strolling hand in hand with Jesus along the streets of pure gold. I believe they are chatting, singing and laughing as they stop beside the flowing River of Life with its water sparkling like liquid diamonds. She is with her Savior and Lord forever. One day soon I will join them there. I can’t wait!

~ ~ ~

Almost 50 years ago we made a promise to each other in the presence of a church full of witnesses and Almighty God that we would love, cherish, honor, protect, and care for one another as long we had life and breath. Oh, there were bumps along the way with twists and turns in our path, but with God leading us every step of the way, we did just that with everything that was within us. Now that 50 years have almost past by, the memories linger on and will never be erased from my mind. Would I do it all over again? Yes – in a heartbeat!

~ ~ ~

I have much faith in the Lord and was always trying to provide encouragement to Carol, but in my quiet times, in a quiet place, when I was alone with my thoughts, I felt so sad for her and my tears would flow. When I was on my knees in submission to Him, seeking His face in prayer, and looking to Him for peace, comfort and strength, He always told me to wait on Him for He will never leave us. He told me we are safe in the palm of His hand, He cares for us, and to only trust Him for He is in control and that His Will be done.

~ ~ ~

When we lose someone we love so dearly, it can feel as if our heart and soul has been ripped apart and shredded, then, blown away like confetti in a wind storm.

Carol was my beloved bride and best friend for almost fifty years. She stood close by me through good times and bad, through sickness and health, and through times of sadness and joy.

But wait! Carol is not lost! Oh...although I cannot touch her...I cannot see her smiling face...and I cannot hear her voice, I know exactly where she is. She is safe in the arms of Jesus!

Carol went on down the path ahead of us to be with her Savior and Lord. Until we meet again, the roses will never fade and the memories will linger on in my heart.

~ ~ ~

Don
John 14:6
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"
http://faithwriters.com/article-details.php?id=41225

http://faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=18654

"The Israel Connection"
http://theisraelconnection.blogspot.com/

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

Ms. Barbie

Postby Ms. Barbie » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:35 am

Don, such beautiful words. I have tears... You were so blessed to have love like that. What a great hope to know that you will someday reunite. :hugs2
Barb Culler

Edy

Postby Edy » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:23 pm

ready2go wrote:Over the past couple of days I have jotted down several random thoughts surrounding events of the past few weeks. Here are some of them:

~ ~ ~

In the final weeks before Carol was called Home to be with the Lord, we both sensed that the end was near. We would spend as much time together as possible, sitting hand in hand at her bedside with tears flowing often at 2:00 or 3:00 in the morning, just praying, sharing our inner feelings, our memories, and comforting one another. It was during those times that I could picture in my mind’s eye God-sent angels positioned on each side of her bed with wings wide-spread and touching wingtip to wingtip forming a shield of protection over us. Carol and I had an unbreakable bond between us, but our bond with our Lord and Savior was even greater. He promised to be with us until the end...and He was.

~ ~ ~

Not long ago Carol told me she wished she could be a little mouse in a corner during her funeral. She wanted to hear the Pastor's message and enjoy the music, and greet everyone who was there. Well, there probably wouldn’t be any mice in the Chapel, but I know she would be there in our hearts and thoughts.

From within heaven’s gates I believe that Carol would be shouting loudly to surviving family and friends here on earth. She would warn that if they are not absolutely certain they are a sinner saved by grace alone, and know they are a heaven-bound child of God, then, they must to do some business with Him today, and receive His free gift of salvation. As Carol knows, there is no promise of a tomorrow for anyone.

~ ~ ~

I believe that today Carol is strolling hand in hand with Jesus along the streets of pure gold. I believe they are chatting, singing and laughing as they stop beside the flowing River of Life with its water sparkling like liquid diamonds. She is with her Savior and Lord forever. One day soon I will join them there. I can’t wait!

~ ~ ~

Almost 50 years ago we made a promise to each other in the presence of a church full of witnesses and Almighty God that we would love, cherish, honor, protect, and care for one another as long we had life and breath. Oh, there were bumps along the way with twists and turns in our path, but with God leading us every step of the way, we did just that with everything that was within us. Now that 50 years have almost past by, the memories linger on and will never be erased from my mind. Would I do it all over again? Yes – in a heartbeat!

~ ~ ~

I have much faith in the Lord and was always trying to provide encouragement to Carol, but in my quiet times, in a quiet place, when I was alone with my thoughts, I felt so sad for her and my tears would flow. When I was on my knees in submission to Him, seeking His face in prayer, and looking to Him for peace, comfort and strength, He always told me to wait on Him for He will never leave us. He told me we are safe in the palm of His hand, He cares for us, and to only trust Him for He is in control and that His Will be done.

~ ~ ~

When we lose someone we love so dearly, it can feel as if our heart and soul has been ripped apart and shredded, then, blown away like confetti in a wind storm.

Carol was my beloved bride and best friend for almost fifty years. She stood close by me through good times and bad, through sickness and health, and through times of sadness and joy.

But wait! Carol is not lost! Oh...although I cannot touch her...I cannot see her smiling face...and I cannot hear her voice, I know exactly where she is. She is safe in the arms of Jesus!

Carol went on down the path ahead of us to be with her Savior and Lord. Until we meet again, the roses will never fade and the memories will linger on in my heart.

~ ~ ~

Don

Thank you for sharing those beautiful and heartbreaking reflections with us, Don. I weep with you, my heart knowing something of how it feels. Praise the Lord, He has not left us Comfortless.

Forgive me if I've posted this story, before, that I heard at the funeral of another dear saint. (She was 99 years old, and she so prayed to leave this earth before she made 100! We all wondered why such a strange prayer request! God heard her prayer. She made it!) Anyway, a grandson told us about this lady's experience after the funeral for her husband. Her children didn't want her to go home to an empty house, but she assurred them that is what she wanted to do. As she wept, alone, she said she literally felt arms around her, giving her all the Comfort she needed.

I pray that experience for you, too, Don, whenever you need it.
"Jesus Never Fails!" Love, Edy
The Gospel is such Good News even Christians don't believe it!
The Power of Story
We are the third temple! Acts 7:48, 1 Peter 2:4-5
Essentially Lutheran
My StoriesMy Blog:The Prairie Nightingale

Edy

Postby Edy » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:57 pm

Here's a day brightener for everyone. My grand niece's husband posted this on facebook:
Random man at grocery store to Kelly and I: are you two Christians? Me: yes. Random man: i could tell by the way you treat each other.

My delightful little Kelly posted this comment:
Kevin, I love you! And I would love to ask you how many packages of strawberries you would like to buy any day! Oh and by the way, I think this means that you are always supposed to come grocery shopping with me!

Wasn't that a wonderful question from the "random man" - who could have asked, "Are you kids in love, or what?" Now, I will have to try and post a photo of my darling Kelly & Kevin.

"Jesus Never Fails!" Love, Edy
The Gospel is such Good News even Christians don't believe it!
The Power of Story
We are the third temple! Acts 7:48, 1 Peter 2:4-5
Essentially Lutheran
My StoriesMy Blog:The Prairie Nightingale

Laurie

Postby Laurie » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:30 pm

Don, thanks for sharing with us. I'm glad you treasured time with Carol while she was here. And you were such a devoted caregiver for so long. It's wonderful that you shared so many years together. We have hope even in our grief, knowing our saved loved ones are with Jesus and that we'll be reunited with them someday. But until that someday comes, I realize there will be a lot of tough days for you. Praying for you.

Verna

Postby Verna » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:00 pm

I posted yesterday---I thought.
I wept with you, Don, for your own obituary for Carol. What a lovely witness to Christian marriage.

Edy, thanks for re-enforcing what Christian marriage is like. May your great niece and husband share a deep and lasting commitment like Don and Carol's.
Verna

Allison

Postby Allison » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:14 pm

Don, everything you've posted the past couple of days is so beautiful. Praying for you!

I'm starting to use a cane instead of the walker some of the time! I was advised by my PT not to switch over all at once, and after using the cane a bit, I can already see the wisdom in that advice.

Nights are still long and hard. I've been waking up every 1 to 2 hours, just enough to notice how uncomfortable I am, so I have to actually get out of bed and walk a bit, use the restroom or something, even if I don't actually have to use the bathroom. :lol: It's getting highly annoying. Other than that, I'm doing really well!
Isaiah 40:30-31 (NIV)

Laurie

Postby Laurie » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:02 am

Praying for you, Don, as you have Carol's memorial service tomorrow. I think of you often.

Allison, I'm glad you're gradually changing over to a cane. Good for you. The sleep thing is tough, though, I'm sure. We have others on the porch who I'm sure can relate. I have some sleep trouble, too.

Joanney, how are you doing this week?

Mariane, are you eating any better?

I absolutely am not up to doing all I've had to do lately. I'm exhausted from this low thyroid or whatever it is. I'd hate to know how many hours I've spent baking and cooking so I have as much food prepared as possible for the next two months. With these food allergies, I spend a TON more time on food prep. than in the past - so this is quite an undertaking. I've been running errands and trying to pick up pretty much everything I'll need over the next two months. And I'm setting things up at home to make it easier to manage when I'll be alone. My mom will help, but she can't be here all the time. It's such a challenge to carry anything when you're on crutches. I'll have my microwave and toaster oven on my table as well as medications/supplements, silverware, dishes, etc. - so that will help. I have things ready to set up so I can sit in the shower. And I'm working on making it manageable to lay on my couch and use the recliner I'm borrowing from my mom. Both give me headaches because of my allergies. So I bought plastic to cover them. Not sure how I'll tolerate the plastic smell, but I'm airing it out. I washed up sheets (in hot water - to kill dust mites) to put over the plastic if need be. It's just ridiculous, but I have to try all I can to prevent having a constant headache. Boys from the church will shovel snow for me. And I have a problem in my garage in the spring. When the snow melts, it seeps into my garage, putting a big puddle at the bottom of the steps, and then it freezes over (have tried to get the problem fixed, but obviously more needs to be done - but of course, it can't be done until it warms up). So they'll also help with chipping away any ice. When I had my last foot surgery (14 years ago), it took a fraction of the time to prepare. When I had my first foot surgery at age 19 (28 years ago), I don't remember preparing at all. I lived at home and didn't have to think ahead because there was someone right there to take care of me.

PreviousNext

Return to The Water Cooler