To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Southern Porch Extension

A place for general chat (non-writing related). Please keep political discussions to the relevant neighborhood forum.

Moderators: cori67, RedBaron, Shann

Edy
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: Southern Porch Extension

Postby Edy » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:30 pm

Laurie wrote:Hugs to you, Don.

With your status reports on Carol in recent months, it sure seemed like you'd be telling us something like this soon. I'm just so sorry. It's evident how deeply you love her. What a heartbreaking time for you.

Thanks for updating us when you can. I'm sure I'm not the only one checking here frequently. Anything we can say seems so inadequate for what you're going through. You know that you're in our thoughts and prayers during these incredibly difficult days.

Laurie covered so well what I would have written, I'll just "second the motion" and add my "Amen."
Our times are in His hands, and that's the best place, ever, for whatever comes. We continue to stand in the gap with you, Don, making up that hedge of protection against all the fiery darts of the wicked one. I am relieved to see that the load for Carol's care can be shared with another helper coming alongside. My prayer is for the best care giver(s) you could imagine to lend support.
Perhaps another Towana Carter, from this true account:

Investments
"Jesus Never Fails!" Love, Edy
The Gospel is such Good News even Christians don't believe it!
The Power of Story
We are the third temple! Acts 7:48, 1 Peter 2:4-5
Essentially Lutheran
My StoriesMy Blog:The Prairie Nightingale

Joanney

Postby Joanney » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:12 am

Don, I also have wondered for quite a while how soon this type of post would come. I am so sorry. I still picture Carol sitting at your dining room table with a lot of spunk as she told the boys and I about outrunning the tornado coming home through Nebraska and other memories from your life together. While I have long desired the relief of your having help with her care, I really did not want it to come to this, inevitable as it was. I am so sorry. Please let us know if there is anything that we can do. We are not far away.
ImageImage

"We are not sinners because we sin, we sin because we are sinners."

You have wearied the LORD with your words.
“How have we wearied him?” you ask.
By saying, “All who do evil are good in the eyes of the LORD, and he is pleased with them” or “Where is the God of justice?”

Malachi 2:17

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:15 am

Many thanks to all for your prayers and words of support. They are needed and appreciated more than you will ever know. There are already several prayer chains working (outside of FW) that extend out to the four corners of this country and points in between.

My daughter and I will be heading back to the hospital soon. Son and DIL will be there later. By the way, Carol is wanting to see the big televised auto race starting at 11:00am our time. We have clear instructions to turn on the television for her.

There are some questions racing through my mind that will continue to plague me the rest of my life. Although I tried over the past 4-5 years to do the best I could using every resource within me, did I do enough? Did I wait too long to call emergency 911? Should that have been done a day sooner? A week sooner? Should it have been done a month ago? Or, six months ago?

I hope no one ever tells me that had I not waited so long, Carol would not be in the dire condition she is in today. I could not live with that knowledge hanging over my head.

Don
John 14:6
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"
http://faithwriters.com/article-details.php?id=41225

http://faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=18654

"The Israel Connection"
http://theisraelconnection.blogspot.com/

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

forHIM

Postby forHIM » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:01 pm

ready2go wrote:Many thanks to all for your prayers and words of support. They are needed and appreciated more than you will ever know. There are already several prayer chains working (outside of FW) that extend out to the four corners of this country and points in between.

My daughter and I will be heading back to the hospital soon. Son and DIL will be there later. By the way, Carol is wanting to see the big televised auto race starting at 11:00am our time. We have clear instructions to turn on the television for her.

There are some questions racing through my mind that will continue to plague me the rest of my life. Although I tried over the past 4-5 years to do the best I could using every resource within me, did I do enough? Did I wait too long to call emergency 911? Should that have been done a day sooner? A week sooner? Should it have been done a month ago? Or, six months ago?

I hope no one ever tells me that had I not waited so long, Carol would not be in the dire condition she is in today. I could not live with that knowledge hanging over my head.

Don

Oh, Don . . . I know that these are the questions we would all have going through our minds. But, I have to say that we should not put ourselves through the anguish of these thoughts. I believe our times are in His hands and He is in control of all of our circumstances. I believe He lead you to call 911 at the right time for all of the right reasons.

You are a dear and faithful husband. A tender caretaker of your wife and a good cook to boot. Think on these things. The best way to overcome the enemy of our thoughts is to quote the following verse . . .

Philippians 4:8

Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

May our Lord keep your heart and mind at peace.

Don, my prayers continue from up here in WA and extend all the way to heaven for your family.

Love and hugs :grouphug
Last edited by forHIM on Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When God calls me to account, what will I answer Him? Job 31:14

http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=29757

Laurie

Postby Laurie » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:37 pm

Don, from the outside looking in, I don't know what more you could have done. You've taken excellent care of Carol during these years, you've taken her to her doctor's appointments and you called 911 when you felt it was necessary. If there was anything medically that could have been done for Carol previously, you had her at the clinic to find out what could have been done. I can't imagine that you could have done anything more for her.

It's only natural that you ask yourself these questions. You love Carol and have wanted to do right by her all along. I'm praying now that the Lord will ease your mind. You have so much to face right now without these nagging questions.

My mom went through things in her mind, too, about what happened at the end of my dad's life. She took great care of him, took him to his appointments, and called 911 when it was necessary. There's only so much we can do. She has no regrets. While it was so hard to let go, ultimately she knew it was his time. When we found out his diagnosis initially, I just knew that cancer or no cancer, God was the one who numbered his days.

Green Leaves

Postby Green Leaves » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:43 pm

Adding my love, thoughts, and prayers to those already posted, Don. May God grant both of you peace in the coming days.
http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=45576

"God has not called me to be successful, God has called me to be faithful." Mother Teresa

"...not to advance in the spiritual life is to go back. But those who have the gale of the Holy Spirit go forward even in sleep.". Brother Lawrence

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:46 pm

Don, Satan is the Great Discourager, the Great Accuser of the Brethren. He is both a coward and a bully at the same time. He attacks the sick, the tired caregiver, the weak and worn.

Jesus is the Great Encourager. He puts his strong arm around your shoulders and says, "Well done, thou good and faithful servant," and "My strength is sufficient," and "I will never leave thee nor forsake thee." This hymn will encourage you, my dear brother in Christ.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7SVdJdje5A
"I long, O I long to be holy, conformed to His will and His Word.
I long to be gentle and Christ-like; I long to be just like my Lord."

Mariane Holbrook

Edy

Postby Edy » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:57 pm

I add "Amen!" to the precious messages from our sisters already posted. My dad wrote to me when Howard had his first heart encounter: "Isn't that just like the dirty devil. He can't stand to see Christians happy, so he tries to rob us of our joy. Well, just don't let him!" Dad often said, "If the devil can't attack a Christian any other way, he uses discouragement."

So, now we have his number! :wink: And his number is up. He is a defeated foe.

As for God's timing, which I believe it always is, I like to think of reasons why what we might fret could be delay is absolutely on target. With all the flu going around (my sister-in-law took a client to a clinic last week [many coughing], and is now suffering the beginnings of the flu that has sidelined so many this winter), I think God protected Carol, keeping her home as long as He did.

So I add to above prayers for the peace that passes understanding to flood your heart, Don, and give you rest and joy. I'm delighted that Carol is looking forward to a tv program - that sounds encouraging. :thumbs
"Jesus Never Fails!" Love, Edy
The Gospel is such Good News even Christians don't believe it!
The Power of Story
We are the third temple! Acts 7:48, 1 Peter 2:4-5
Essentially Lutheran
My StoriesMy Blog:The Prairie Nightingale

Allison

Postby Allison » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:44 pm

So I found this song a couple weeks ago, and I think this totally fits how so many of us are feeling. I love it...

Worn - Tenth Avenue North

First few lines:
I'm tired, I'm worn
My heart is heavy,
From the work it takes
To keep on breathing...

Chorus:
I wanna' see redemption win,
Let me know the struggle ends,
That You can mend a heart that's frail and torn,
I wanna' know a song can rise
From the ashes of a broken life
And all that's dead inside can be reborn
'Cause I'm worn.
Isaiah 40:30-31 (NIV)

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:46 pm

Allison wrote:So I found this song a couple weeks ago, and I think this totally fits how so many of us are feeling. I love it...

Worn - Tenth Avenue North

First few lines:
I'm tired, I'm worn
My heart is heavy,
From the work it takes
To keep on breathing...

Chorus:
I wanna' see redemption win,
Let me know the struggle ends,
That You can mend a heart that's frail and torn,
I wanna' know a song can rise
From the ashes of a broken life
And all that's dead inside can be reborn
'Cause I'm worn.

Yes, that song beautifully describes the pain and heartache of a worn body and soul. Thanks for posting it.

A while ago I wrote three articles of a similar nature. Many of you have already read them, but here they are again.

Don

http://faithwriters.com/article-details.php?id=146088

http://faithwriters.com/article-details.php?id=134164

http://faithwriters.com/article-details.php?id=122367
John 14:6
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"
http://faithwriters.com/article-details.php?id=41225

http://faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=18654

"The Israel Connection"
http://theisraelconnection.blogspot.com/

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

Ms. Barbie

Postby Ms. Barbie » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:54 am

I'm also thinking and praying for you two, Don.
Barb Culler

Joanney

Postby Joanney » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:04 pm

I haven't felt good most of the weekend. Mostly symptoms of the needed surgery. Went to the OB/GYN today and they called this afternoon and want me to go into the hospital for a blood transfusion. I have a ride on the way. They did not know if they would be admitting me or not.
ImageImage

"We are not sinners because we sin, we sin because we are sinners."

You have wearied the LORD with your words.
“How have we wearied him?” you ask.
By saying, “All who do evil are good in the eyes of the LORD, and he is pleased with them” or “Where is the God of justice?”

Malachi 2:17

deejay

Postby deejay » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:06 pm

After looking hard, I finally found a video of a song that has always helped me in tough times. I first saw this video on the old Z Music Channel in the late 90s-early 00s, and I think it's the most beautiful version of the Three Tenors singing "You'll Never Walk Alone".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEAAcifmXqV

Even if you're not a soccer fan, it's still interesting to watch, maybe even encouraging as well, in a way.

Verna

Postby Verna » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:39 pm

My dear Christian brother, Don,
I've been out of the loop with company and appointments. My heart just sank when I read about Carol. Then when I saw our porch pals gathered round you on their knees, I was thankful for the joy and comfort and caring of Christian friends. Only Satan could try to put into your mind that you had not done enough. God knows--and your friends here and elsewhere know that you have devoted your life to Carol's care. May God give you extra strength as you travel through this deep valley. I am so thankful that you and Carol have close communion with the Lord. God bless!
Verna

A merry heart doeth good like a medicine...
Proverb 17:22

Facebook author page: Verna Cole Mitchell
http://www.magnificomanuscripts.com/

forHIM

Postby forHIM » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:51 pm

Joanney wrote:I haven't felt good most of the weekend. Mostly symptoms of the needed surgery. Went to the OB/GYN today and they called this afternoon and want me to go into the hospital for a blood transfusion. I have a ride on the way. They did not know if they would be admitting me or not.

Joanney, may our precious Lord and Savior be with you and bring your heart peace and comfort to your mind. My prayers are with you as you travel to the hospital and for your upcoming surgery, may He place His healing hand upon you. :grouphug

Amen and Amen
When God calls me to account, what will I answer Him? Job 31:14

http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=29757

PreviousNext

Return to The Water Cooler