To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Am I the only one?

If you're a non-fiction writer (other than inspirational articles and devotionals) this is the place for you.

Moderators: Deb Porter, RedBaron

yeggy
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: Am I the only one?

Postby yeggy » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:50 pm

Hiya Christine,
Looks like you are not alone.
I write fiction and creative non-fiction. My first challenge entry at FWs, Grandfather's Oranges, was a memoir.
I also teach writing life stories/memoir at Western College here in Dubbo, New South Wales, Australia.
Would like to look at any memoir related challenge entries people on this thread have written. PM me the link.
Happy writing.
Outside a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read - Groucho Marx

Blog: www.fridayisforfiction@wordpress.com

pheeweed

Postby pheeweed » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:02 pm

Yeggy,
I'm very interested in learning more about creative non-fiction. Can you give me an idea of where to start?
Thanks, Phee
Phee
A friend of the Bridegroom

http://www.delightedmeditations.blogspot.com

"And now, dear brothers and sisters, one final thing. Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise." Philippians 4:8 NLT

yeggy

Postby yeggy » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:10 pm

Phew, Phee, that's a big question. :mrgreen:
Let's narrow it down a bit and tell my what sort of creative non fiction you would like to write? (This is often related to the sort of cnf that you like to read.) In fact, reading good cnf in the area that you want to write is a very good starting point. It gives you a feel for what works and what doesn't work for you.
Outside a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read - Groucho Marx

pheeweed

Postby pheeweed » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:53 pm

Well, that may be the place to start. I love reading fiction and haven't really read much cnf. I have letters my grandfather wrote from the missionfield in China and want to turn them into a book. So creative non-fiction seems the way to go. Also, although I like writing fiction, I've learned that I'm more skilled at non-fiction. So, any suggestions about what to read? Maybe some cnf biographies?

P.S. I've only recently heard the term creative non-fiction. I didn't know it existed.
Phee

"And now, dear brothers and sisters, one final thing. Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise." Philippians 4:8 NLT

yeggy

Postby yeggy » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:28 pm

Am at work at the moment so unable to recommend any books to you just yet.

Wikipedia says "Creative nonfiction (also known as literary or narrative nonfiction) is a genre of writing that uses literary styles and techniques to create factually accurate narratives. Creative nonfiction contrasts with other nonfiction, such as technical writing or journalism, which is also rooted in accurate fact, but is not primarily written in service to its craft. As a genre, creative nonfiction is still relatively young, and is only beginning to be scrutinized with the same critical analysis given to fiction and poetry. It is sometimes referred to as docufiction.[1]"

In plainer English, it's about taking the bones of a real life story or event and, by using all the craft at the disposal of a fiction writer, make that persons experience come alive for the reader.

pheeweed

Postby pheeweed » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:17 am

Exactly what I want to do. But I need to study up on it first. Thanks for your help.
Phee

yeggy

Postby yeggy » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:10 pm

Great Phee! When you do write something send me the first page and we can go from there.
The early part of Alice Munro's View from Castle Rock is the best example of CNF I can recommend. She takes family stories and journal entries that go back four generations and, along with telling some of the stories and some of the journal entries, brings them together in a lively piece of fiction.

These two challenge entries might give you an idea of what I’m talking about. They are both based on real life people, Mr Eternity and Brother Lawrence.

Mr Eternity
http://www.faithwriters.com/wc-article- ... hp?id=3265

Nicholas a Monk in the Making
http://www.faithwriters.com/wc-article- ... hp?id=4836

pheeweed

Postby pheeweed » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:08 pm

I remember the story of Mr. Eternity. Thanks for the examples. I'll read View From Castle Rock and then I'll take a look at the letters and see what I can do with them. You'll be hearing from me.
Phee

yeggy

Postby yeggy » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:52 pm

Have fun, Phee. :thumbs

amabrey
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Postby amabrey » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:32 pm

I write nonfiction. I have always said that I'd like to learn to write fiction, but never can seem to get much into it. I always go back to nonfiction-devotionals, how to's and informational stuff. Lately I have been researching alot on health and wellness from a holistic perspective. You will probably see some of it surface in my posts before long.... do what you love...what you are passionate about and you will succeed. God Bless :D
Amy

For the eyes of the Lord run to and fro throughout the whole earth, to show himself strong in the behalf of them whose heart is perfect toward him... 2 Chron 16:9

Cast not away therefore your confidence, which hath great recompense of reward. For ye have need of patience, that after ye have done the will of God, ye might receive the promise. Heb 10:35-6

yeggy

Postby yeggy » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:14 pm

You're right, Amy, write what you are passionate about! If we aren't passionate about it, if we don't love it, then how can we expect what we write to grab our readers. :roll: :roll:

lish1936

Postby lish1936 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:46 pm

amabrey wrote:I write nonfiction. do what you love...what you are passionate about and you will succeed. God Bless :D

:typing2

Hi, Amy

When I first started with Faithwriters, non-fiction was the only genre I knew. In fact, I had just published my first non-fiction book, and had no desire to delve into fiction. I soon discovered that I was up against stiff competition because the majority of Top 10 winners were either fiction or poetry.

I decided to stretch beyond my comfort level (also encouraged by other Faithwriters), and my first 1st Place win was a poem. Since then, God has allowed me to acquire a few more Editor's Choice wins with poetry, fiction, and non-fiction. While non-fiction remains my first love, I'm always open to whatever God inspires me to write. Sometimes when I depart from my "passion" I fall flat on my face; other times I don't.

My talent, whatever it is, belongs to Him, and I am reluctant to limit His creative activity in my life.

This may not be His plan for you, but I suggest you approach your writing with an open mind as to where God might take you.

Blessings,

Lillian
E-Book - Retirement Lane - How to Celebrate Life After 60

Fortunate 500

I write even when I think I can't, because I must. :-)

I love to write. Nothing escapes the crush I have on the written word. I'm hooked on words!!

"Let words bewitch you. Scrutinze them, mull them, savor them, and in combination, until you see their subtle differences and the ways they tint each other." Francis Flaherty

pheeweed

Postby pheeweed » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:08 am

Yeggy,
I've just read View from Castle Rock. I found it fascinating and different from anything else I'd read. I can see myself doing some of what she did, but it was such a mixture of styles that I don't think I'd try to duplicate it. I also found myself getting bored with some of it because I'm such a story person and she narratives kept changing.
Thanks for pointing me to it. I haven't tried to tackle my grandfather's letters yet, but it showed me a way to start.
Phee
Phee

yeggy

Postby yeggy » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:15 am

pheeweed wrote:Yeggy,
I've just read View from Castle Rock. I found it fascinating and different from anything else I'd read. I can see myself doing some of what she did, but it was such a mixture of styles that I don't think I'd try to duplicate it. I also found myself getting bored with some of it because I'm such a story person and she narratives kept changing.
Thanks for pointing me to it. I haven't tried to tackle my grandfather's letters yet, but it showed me a way to start.
Phee

Glad you found it useful in some way, Phee, and that you are seeing a way forward. I enjoyed the first half far more than the second. :mrgreen:

kql314
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Postby kql314 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:14 pm

Hello- I write nonfiction, in the Christian realm. I co-wrote a book on Christian/ Church history, info at
www.toptenchristians.wordpress.com

and also am a columnist for www.taberstruths.com, and have another interesting project in the works. Regarding biblical archeology.
God Bless!

-Ken

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Fiction Forum