To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Southern Porch Extension

A place for general chat (non-writing related). Please keep political discussions to the relevant neighborhood forum.

Moderators: cori67, RedBaron, Shann

Green Leaves
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: Southern Porch Extension

Postby Green Leaves » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:29 pm

You're too willing, Don! And I just know they would be homesick and trying to find their way back to you.
http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=45576

"God has not called me to be successful, God has called me to be faithful." Mother Teresa

"...not to advance in the spiritual life is to go back. But those who have the gale of the Holy Spirit go forward even in sleep.". Brother Lawrence

Edy

Postby Edy » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:18 pm

That reminds me - this delightful and touching story was told by a cousin at his mom's memorial service the week of New Year's Day. I just received it in today's email from his sister. I know you storytellers will appreciate it, and the talent of the writer (John Thompson):

John wanted to tell a story about mom putting up with 5 kids, dogs, a pony, a cat and a duck:

I was about 11 years old and one Spring morning I was out in the garage cleaning out the martin house. I took the top off and started pulling out the nest on top. A baby wood duck jumped out of the bottom of the house and ran around the garage. I caught it and put it in a box.

Mom told me to let it go, but I said it didn't have a mother. She finally let me keep it, but only in the garage, and take care of it out there. I made a box like a rabbit hutch and tried to take care of it. The duck wouldn't eat much and took a turn for the worst.

I got mom to let me bring it in the house. She got a small lightbulb and an eye dropper and showed me how to feed it.

After a few days the duckling started getting stronger and the next morning the duck was in the water bowl peeping and splashing water all over the place. Dorothy (mom) told me "to get that duck out of the house!" Well, that duck stayed in the house for about three more weeks. In the morning, at sunrise, it would come out of its nest, scratch at the screen, peep and make a mess. Dorothy scolded that duck up and down.

It got warmer out. I made a pen for "Herbie," as mom started calling him, outside. A few nights went by and then one night herbie started making all kinds of noise. Dorothy went down to check it out and found a skunk trying to get him. She started throwing things at it - the skunk sprayed, but missed her. That was one lucky skunk! If he would have got her we would have had skunk and duck for dinner. Just guess who would have been cleaning and eating skunk!

We kept Herbie safe all summer and into the Fall and then Herbie wanted to take flight. She told me to let him go, I said, "No, he might get shot!"

About a week later, dad was reading the paper. There was an article about a goose and duck refuge up in the Twin Cities. Well, the family took a road trip to the refuge. I let Herbie go and he went wild. First he chased the geese around, then the big ducks, then the little ducks. After a while he settled down and all the fowl gave Herbie respect. I said, "Hey, mom, we got rid of the duck. " When I turned around, big, tough Dorothy was crying her eyes out. She said, "He's so happy."

Well, mom - I hope you find the same kind of place. I'm sure you have. By the way, Herbie was a hen - we should have named her 'Little Dort.'

The next few years when I was outside in the Spring I think I saw that wood duck circling the house.

Mom, don't chase everyone around in heaven. They know you already and I'm sure they're happy you're finally home.

:cry:
"Jesus Never Fails!" Love, Edy
The Gospel is such Good News even Christians don't believe it!
The Power of Story
We are the third temple! Acts 7:48, 1 Peter 2:4-5
Essentially Lutheran
My StoriesMy Blog:The Prairie Nightingale

Edy

Postby Edy » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:30 pm

Green Leaves wrote:That's wonderful news, Carole. I am so glad nothing invasive has to be done.

And Mariane, we will definitely be praying for you....although you are so often in my prayers anyway. Any word on the custody issue? I have been praying for that as well.

Don, I never heard of those bugs. They sound nasty. Pesky things, aren't they? They must have sent out texts to all their friends when they found your beautiful house.

Oh my goodness! There's a blue heron sitting right off our deck by the pond. We see him a lot but he has always been on the far side of the pond. That sounds like a book title, doesn't it? The Far Side of the Pond.

Love to all.

Your book title gives me an idea, GreenLeaves. I love thinking up intriguing titles (for stories I'll probably never get around to writing). We should have a "game" time and see who can come up with the best/most hilarious/most mysterious/etc., title s/he can think of.

Here's the title for one (I wrote about five pages before I got bogged down and set it aside). The story is much better than the title, apparently. My young nieces loved the story; my siblings laughted at the title and said I HAD to change it. But I rather like it, myself:

The Funereal Atmosphere.

Your turn!
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

Verna

Postby Verna » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:43 pm

Mariane, I've been laying up prayers for you--with love!

Carole, I'm so glad Lillian was okay.

Edy, you made me smile with the little boy and the stethoscope and the story of "Dorothy." I read this on FB the other day and thought it would make a wonderful title THICK AND TIRED OF DIETS.

Carol, I'm glad you're back in action with us!

Keep the bugs, Don!
Verna

A merry heart doeth good like a medicine...
Proverb 17:22

Facebook author page: Verna Cole Mitchell
http://www.magnificomanuscripts.com/

Laurie

Postby Laurie » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:05 pm

I haven't logged in for a while, but I've been listening in every day. ;)

Praying for Mariane's surgery tomorrow and Allison's on Wed. (hope I remember the date right).

Nearly done with the business plan for the new business though I won't be able to move forward with starting the business until later in the year depending on when I'm recovered from everything. My first surgery isn't until March 20. Later than I wanted, but we're STILL waiting for my mom's farm closing to happen. Hopefully in a week or so, we'll have a closing date for that.

Having a lot of difficult days this month as I think back to all that happened with my dad during his last days last Feb.

I've been so tired for so long, and it doesn't matter how well I sleep or don't sleep. I'm equally tired every day. This body can hardly keep going.

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:12 am

My surgery went very well, praise the Lord! The surgeon removed the obstruction arthroscopically and even took several colored pictures of it for me. He pioneered this procedure and has performed it more than any other surgeon in the U.S. He was afraid my obstruction might be too large for the steel probe to handle it and he'd have to resort to the old way of an incision outside the throat and this would have been a much longer operation and healing time. As usual, my God came through! My doctor said, "Now I want you to start gaining weight! Eat everything you have always wanted and get your weight up from the 96 lbs you weigh now." I asked him if the hospital served chocolate eclairs or creme brule but he said in a few days I could have all of them I wanted! (Of course, John would have to get them for me at a bakery or restaurant. LOL)

My wonderful son, Johnny, who lives about 30 minutes from Duke opened his house to us for a couple of nights and stayed with us at Duke for all the pre-op appointments and the surgery. What a jewel of a man he is and blessed by with his dear wife, Susan. I haven't stayed in many million dollar homes before but theirs is unbelievable gorgeous and well-appointed. Wall-to-wall good taste and warm, loving hospitality!

Thank you for your prayers. I could actually feel the peace of God around me and knew you all were praying, The staff at Duke were friendly, helpful and exceedingly professional. Duke has a reputation as one of the 10 top hospitals in the country. Even though it's 3 1/2 hours away from me, I was so fortunate to have this fine surgeon operating on me.

My heart is full of praise. I'm home now since the doctor thought I would be safer from infection and the flu and perhaps pneumonia if I were back home to recuperate rather than staying at the hospital. Now to have the fun of putting on 10 or 15 pounds!

I love you guys so much.
Mariane Holbrook

Verna

Postby Verna » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:50 am

Praise the Lord, Praise the Lord, Praise the Lord! This is such wonderful news, dear Mariane, of our prayer-answering God. May you enjoy putting on those pounds --and with no guilt! So many people care about you, and it's no wonder.

Now to pray for Allison's surgery and to pray for Laurie's difficult days, emotionally and physically--as well as our on-going prayers for Don's Carol and the needs of other friends on the porch.

Blessings wished for all today--along with hugs sent
Verna

A merry heart doeth good like a medicine...
Proverb 17:22

Facebook author page: Verna Cole Mitchell
http://www.magnificomanuscripts.com/

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:00 am

Mariane! It's great to hear from you!

Praise the Lord for a successful surgery! Now, get yourself busy consuming everything you can find to add the poundage that has been in short supply on your frame. Dairy Queen blizzards, chocolate cake, cookies, candies, and lots of frosting on the cake will be a good way to start.

Enjoy! :superhappy

Don
John 14:6
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"
http://faithwriters.com/article-details.php?id=41225

http://faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=18654

"The Israel Connection"
http://theisraelconnection.blogspot.com/

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

Allison

Postby Allison » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:04 am

I'm glad it went well!

As you know, my hip replacement surgery is tomorrow. I don't know the actual time of surgery, but I have to be at the hospital by 7:00 AM Central time. Like Mariane, I am blessed to be going to Barnes-Jewish St. Louis, a hospital that is consistently ranked in the top 10 in the nation overall and specifically in orthopedics. I know I will be in good hands, and in the hands of God, but I'm still a bit nervous. I posted on the prayer request board too. :)
Isaiah 40:30-31 (NIV)

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:35 pm

Allison, we'll all be praying. You have so many friends all over the country who love you and will be on their knees, by their beds, in a recliner, at their kitchen table with God's Great Promise Book spread out before them, in their cars, anywhere, all of us lifting you up in the arms of faith asking God to guide the surgeon's hands and make it go smoothly and quickly all the way.

I'm so glad you're on the Southern porch more and you can be sure of our prayers and our love.

Mariane
Mariane Holbrook

Laurie

Postby Laurie » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:52 pm

Mariane, I was so glad to read your good report this morning. :superhappy

Allison, praying for your surgery. I know it's been a long time coming. How long will you be off work? Will you have physical therapy?

Joanney

Postby Joanney » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:26 pm

Laurie wrote:Mariane, I was so glad to read your good report this morning. :superhappy

Allison, praying for your surgery. I know it's been a long time coming. How long will you be off work? Will you have physical therapy?

I ditto Laurie's post -- every word.

I have been hanging around the Porch and praying for the requests but have not posted a lot lately. Things have been stressful around here. The Divorce Decree states that I have to have Paul's name off the mortgage by the 2 year anniversary of the judge signing the Decree, which is this August. A loan officer that I talked to said that there is no way I can get my credit rating up enough to qualify to refinance because of the medical bills going to collections. My only hope was to do a loan modification and see if the mortgage company would lower my payment to where I could make the mortgage payment and pay something towards the medical bills. They would only work with me if I was in default on the mortgage, and then once the loan mod went through, I would have to make 1 year of payments before they would take Paul's name off the mortgage. I asked but Paul refused to extend the deadline. So, as a result, I am taking the advice of some very trusted friends who deal with people in this situation in their ministry, and am letting the house foreclosure. It will be referred to the foreclosure attorney (possibly the same one I worked for) next week.

The boys and I went last Friday and looked at a rental townhouse that we liked. I put in the application fee and deposit, but have not heard back yet if I have been approved. The rent would be about $400/mo less than my mortgage payment and I would only pay for electricity and internet, making the utilities about 1/2 of my current. If we get this townhouse, it will be in Shakopee, so we will need a second vehicle for the boys to commute to school. I inquired with the Prior Lake-Savage Schools about open enrollment before applying. As I figured (but wanted confirmation) since they are already enrolled in Prior Lake, they will be automatically approved when I fill out the open enrollment paperwork.

If we don't get the approved for the townhouse, then my credit is shot enough that I will probably have a hard time finding someplace to live because of the late mortgage payments. The plan was to find a place to live before the foreclosure hit my credit.

Guess it goes back to the verse that God so blatantly pointed out to me Friday night (especially the second half of the verse):

"Refrain from anger and turn from wrath;
Do not fret -- it leads only to evil"
Psalm 37:8

Well, with all of this and a conference for work all day last Saturday, I am behind on my homework and need to get to studying.
ImageImage

"We are not sinners because we sin, we sin because we are sinners."

You have wearied the LORD with your words.
“How have we wearied him?” you ask.
By saying, “All who do evil are good in the eyes of the LORD, and he is pleased with them” or “Where is the God of justice?”

Malachi 2:17

Edy

Postby Edy » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:44 pm

I'm so glad to hear all is well, BeachGrandma! The first thought overflowing from my heart was this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waFPd30vy6E
8)
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

Edy

Postby Edy » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:51 pm

Praying that the townhouse rental goes through, Joanney - and if not, that means God has something better for you. He is husband to the widow and father to the orphan, so you couldn't be in better Hands. All that legal stuff would drive me up the wall, so I sure admire you for managing your full plate and then some! Uff da! :sorry
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

Laurie

Postby Laurie » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:57 pm

Joanney, I'm so sorry to hear this. What a difficult set of circumstances for you. Praying tonight for your situation. Dealing with the foreclosure, moving and having surgery in the same year. That's a LOT. Thinking of you, dear lady.

PreviousNext

Return to The Water Cooler