To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Pacific Coast Rest-Stop

A place for general chat (non-writing related). Please keep political discussions to the relevant neighborhood forum.

Moderators: cori67, RedBaron, Shann

Shann

Re: Pacific Coast Rest-Stop

Postby Shann » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:26 am

Ms. Barbie wrote:Congrats Allison, Leah and Shann! Woo hoo! Hope I did not miss anyone else.

I had a vague idea for repeat but could not think of how to develop it. When I was a kid, we had a Choral Christmas record album-you know- those black vinyl plate- sized precursors to CDs? The song "Joy to the World" skipped during the second verse. It went " Repeat the sounding joy, repeat the sounding joy, Re-peat! repeat! Repeat! Repeat..."

Should have called on Shann to help me out. Brain not functioning these days.

nOW i'M NOT SURE ARE YOU CALLING sHANN BECAUSE YOUR BRAIN IS NOT FUNCTIONING CUZ ANYONE WITH A FUNCTIONING BRAIN WOULDN'T CALL ON ME? :pirate2 :pirate2 :pirate2 pUT 'em put 'em up Grrrraawwl (I hate that cap lock button)

Of course I would have helped you darlin' (right after a pirate punch) I did have a buddy who wrote about those same words. I thought more about repeating a grade, repeating an oath and the old joke: Pete and Repeat are brothers
What's the name of Pete's brother?
Repeat

Okay Pete and Repeat are brothers. What's the name of Pete's brother?
Repeat
Repeat

Repeat

Repeat

Okay Pete and Repeat are brother's. What's the name of Pete's brother?
Repeat

Repeat

Repeat

Repeat
Okay time for bed! :mrgreen:
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

JesusPuppy
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Postby JesusPuppy » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:15 am

:roll:
....JesusPuppy (or just call me Pup) Image

And just for the record, I am a Male.

"I am a writer, I do NOT lie... I fictionalise." JP

"The Lord Bless thee, and keep thee.." Num. 6:24

JesusPuppy Profile

Cypress Times, online Christian news paper.

Rebecky

Postby Rebecky » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:51 am

I woke up to a surprise snow day. We were supposed to just get some flurries but I woke up and we have at least 2 inches or more. Apparently the snow started to accumulate rapidly.
Dum Spiro Spero

Shann

Postby Shann » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:08 am

JesusPuppy wrote::roll:

What's that look for huh? I'll start lobbing snowballs in your direction so watch it!

I'm supposed to go to doc today but am working myself into a good old tizzy. Anyone want to place bets on whether I go or not.
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

Ms. Barbie

Postby Ms. Barbie » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:32 am

Cowardly lion line- huh? Well, my little pretty, get thee to the doctor Stat!

I heard the joke this way: Pete and Repeat went across the bridge
Pete fell in. Who was left? (And so on till they catch on)
Barb Culler

Shann

Postby Shann » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:19 pm

That might have been it, I just remember the horrible repeating line. Kids can do that for like hours or until parent loses it and stuffs her dirty sock in the kid's mouth.

I bailed on doc. I probably should consider going into Hosp for med but zi don't want to. My head is pounding, I'm nauseated and my vision is super blurry. So didn't seem safe to drive. Rescheduled for later this month.
Shann

Shann's Profile

JesusPuppy

Postby JesusPuppy » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:15 pm

If you are feeling that bad, you should have went.

Kiddo... glad for your snow, but jealous of you for getting some. :tongue

JesusPuppy Profile

Allison

Postby Allison » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:36 pm

Shann wrote:
CONGRATULATIONS LEAH AND ALLISON ON YOUR EC!!!WH-OOT! HAPPY DANCE!! WHO-HOO!! :thumbs :coolsign :clap :superhappy :party :party

And a big congrats to you too, Shann! :superhappy :clap :superhappy :thumbs :clap :superhappy
Isaiah 40:30-31 (NIV)

Sparrow

Postby Sparrow » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:31 am

So excited to see Shann and Allison and Leah winning ECs all the same week! :D

Neither Andy or I are feeling great, but it's been a nice time anyway. His parents are really nice and sweet too. We dressed up for a special date night tonight. Here's a pic.
Attachments
Andy and Amy avatar small.jpg
Andy and Amy avatar small.jpg (44.77 KiB) Viewed 820 times
Amy Michelle Wiley
Check out my booklet, Bring Your Writing to Life: a writer's guide to "show; don't tell". Buy it here.
My Website, Sparrow's Flight

violin4jesus

Postby violin4jesus » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:32 am

It's an EC week for the PCRS! Congrats to Allison & Shann as well for your wins.

Very nice pic, Amy! Glad you're having a good time.

Well, the bug hit, finally, and of course, of all the weeks I could have used a night off, this was the one where they DIDN'T call me! So I drugged myself up with cold meds and vitamins and sucked on cough drops through all my shifts. They were good; had some great births, but man was I tired! Yesterday (Saturday) I slept from 9:30am to 7:30pm. And again from 11:30m to 5am on the couch. I may try to get another hour or two this morning if I can. Gotta take advantage of the times my body isn't wrestling with insomnia. :roll:

I had to bag another baby this week, and this time I didn't hesitate, and by the time the neonatologist got there, she said it was already pinking up. So that felt good. I'm finally becoming more comfortable with those resuscitative actions. Not chest compressions; that will be another line I'll have to cross in the future. But now I feel like I know when and how to do the bagging. I know, a weird thing to be proud of. :wink:

I have four shifts scheduled this week. We'll see how it goes. Could sure use the money. But I am glad I have two nights off before then.

I heard it from my dad: "Pete and Repeat were in a boat. Pete fell out. Who was left?" Honestly that's the first thing that popped into my head when I saw the Challenge. I didn't enter. Too tired after our Arizona trip, and I had that bug coming on. I'm trying to come up with a creative angle for "Staff".

Tazzy, I'm glad you are feeling so much better after shedding the weight! It's so empowering when you see it fall off like that. It's so good to do it when you're young, and to keep it off. It's much harder for me now than when I was 23-24. At that time it practically melted off. Now my body is clinging to every ounce! :lol: Anyway, congratulations on achieving your goals! You'll have plenty to write about, trust me. :D

Well, I need to do the budget, and maybe get another hour or two of sleep, if my body will let me. Talk to y'all later.

JesusPuppy

Postby JesusPuppy » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:50 pm

There was a time when, if some one said they bagged someone in a hospital it meant Body-bag, and I was just a little bit weirded out about you being happy about that. :roll:

Bird.. Nice pic. Praying things go well for you, you deserve it. :wink:

I am off for a shower, then the "laying down staring at the ceiling wondering if I want to go to work tonight" thingy. There has to be a better job out there. Maybe I could get the job of testing recliners in a factory somewhere. :roll:

JesusPuppy Profile

Shann

Postby Shann » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:57 pm

JesusPuppy wrote:If you are feeling that bad, you should have went.

Kiddo... glad for your snow, but jealous of you for getting some. :tongue

Seriously PUP? Isn't that the pot calling the kettle blaCK?Image
Shann

Shann's Profile

Shann

Postby Shann » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:04 pm

I told someone I had to bag a kid all the way in the ambulance and they gave me that same quizzical look that Pup probably had. Bagged=ambubag

I remember my first time we lost a baby after birth. I was doing compressions and the doc was giving meds. She looked at me and asked if I was ready to stop yet? I shook my head no so she continued the resuscitation then a few minutes later with tears streaming down my face, I nodded. I have so much respect for that doctor. She knew we weren't going to save him, but allowed me to keep going so I knew I did everything i could. (Of course the parents were not in the room. Well the mom was but she was under general anesthesia.)
Shann

Shann's Profile

violin4jesus

Postby violin4jesus » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:39 am

Aw, Shann, that's so sad. :cry: There have definitely been moments in a delivery where the team is working on the baby and it doesn't look like it's being successful, but then they step away a few minutes later and say, "Okay, he's good!" It's amazing what they can bounce back from. Fortunately I haven't been in a failed resuscitation. One of my first labor patients lost her baby, but I had gone home hours before. It was sad, but not as crushing as it would have been if I'd been there. I don't know how I would have handled it if I had been there. It was very early in my career; I might have taken it too hard. God knows how much we can handle. I could probably deal with it better now, but I still don't ever want to. It's hard enough doing second trimester losses. I haven't delivered anything over 20 weeks, even at that. At this hospital we at least have the NICU team and the neo very close by; they're usually there in 2-3 minutes.

I did get a couple more hours of sleep, but I'm still pretty wiped. Gotta rest up for my return to work tomorrow. I feel so lazy, but rest is essential for kicking these buggies.

Night night.

Shann

Postby Shann » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:35 am

While I was still a student, I was offered a preceptor position in OB at my hospital. The first evening shift, we delivered a full-term stillbirth. The mom was someone who went to school a couple of years ahead of me. Then a code was called and I went to that and the patient didn't make it.

I'm surprised you have had so few in utero deaths. I delivered one baby that had died a few weeks earlier and that was horrible. I had a hard time delivering the head. She was just starting third trimester so the baby was breech. My head nurse was so good and helped me through it.

Often if we have someone who will be there more than 24 hours, they switched nurses because it was stressful. I had one patient and we bonded quickly. I think part of it was she asked me why I had eye shadow on only one eye. I told her I'd been crying in the locker room and wiped it off. She knew my heart hurt for her. So the next day when she still hadn't delivered, she requested me and I went back. Then they decided to send her home for Easter and come back on Monday. I can't believe a doctor would do that to a patient, but those y chromosomes sometimes masks common sense. So when she came back Monday, I took care of her again. Sure it was hard for me, but nothing compared what she was going through. At 7 she still hadn't progressed very far, but my shift was over. She begged me to stay and I wanted to but I had a teen babysitting so I couldn't stay. If I could have, I would have punched out and stayed. She didn't deliver for at least five hours after I left. That was really hard because I knew she needed me but I couldn't stay. Though a year or so later, I was able to see her beautiful healthy daughter.

Becky, congratulations on your football team win. They ruined my perfect rrecord of guessing the winners based on helmets and colors. But since I would have thought it was black or navy blue if Q hadn't told me they were purple, I was torn. If their jerseys would have been purple instead of white, I would have guessed them. Oh well I can't always be perfect!. Though I did tell Q if it went into OT, then no matter what I would be right because I struggled so with knowing they were purple. When they missed that two points, I thought so close!

Well it's 3:30 so I should go to bed. I felt yucky all day. I think Becky gave me her creepy crud. I bet she didn't wash her hands once after she coughed then texted me! :tongue Creepy crud or not I still love you! :mrgreen:

I am worried Cruz my vision is so messed up. I even had to ask Chris if they were my glasses. I can barely see any difference with them on. My vision gets worse with Its 3:33! Sorry, it gets worse with each outbreak and I do wonder if not getting IV antivirals is making it worse.

I know see a doctor. I will if Becky and Pup will And driving by and seeing doctor walk from car to office doesn't count nor does watching Dr Who, House or anything with doctor in it. :tongue

Hugs and love to all!
Shann

Shann's Profile

PreviousNext

Return to The Water Cooler