To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Southern Porch Extension

A place for general chat (non-writing related). Please keep political discussions to the relevant neighborhood forum.

Moderators: RedBaron, cori67, Shann

ready2go
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: Southern Porch Extension

Postby ready2go » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:27 pm

Laurie wrote:

Don, how is Carol? Any change one way or the other? I hope she isn't still having hallucinations.

How is Carol? Not good...not good at all. I almost took her to the ER one night last week, but her situation improved the last minute. Still having big time problems with fluid retention (very serious for congestive heart failure patients), and blood sugar readings that resemble a yo-yo (going from quite high to dangerous low in only 2-3 hours time). The lows are the biggest problem and can be fatal. They produce hallucinations, slurred jibberish, confusion, changes in heartbeat, and loss of strength - all of which I can correct in an hour or two with sugar products. At times she can't get out of bed without help. Last night between 10:00pm and 4:00am I was up with her four times - twice to pray with her, and twice to use the bathroom.

I give her 3 insulin shots daily, but recently have been experimenting with dosages with some success. Today I talked to her doctors by phone twice and convinced them to change the prescribed dosages based on my findings. The doctors did not yet change the dosage as much as I had hoped, but we'll see how they work. I think they will change them again soon.

Today the doctors also prescribed another more powerful med for the fluid retention. The next day or so will hopefully show some results. The fluid retention causes difficult breathing and swollen feet/ankles among other things.

Don
John 14:6
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"
http://faithwriters.com/article-details.php?id=41225

http://faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=18654

"The Israel Connection"
http://theisraelconnection.blogspot.com/

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

Edy

Postby Edy » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:00 am

Don, I think caring for someone with brittle diabetes is perhaps the most stressful job of care-giving I know. Howard's step-mom probably had an extra ten years of life due to Howard's dad's attentive care for her. She had the same yo-yo management problems - so terribly frustrating I know. It is definitely a labor of love, God working through you to meet this need for your sweetheart. God bless you with all the strength and joy you need to carry you both through!
"Jesus Never Fails!" Love, Edy
The Gospel is such Good News even Christians don't believe it!
The Power of Story
We are the third temple! Acts 7:48, 1 Peter 2:4-5
Essentially Lutheran
My StoriesMy Blog:The Prairie Nightingale

Green Leaves

Postby Green Leaves » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:25 pm

Wonderful!

I've been missing on the porch for a long time because I couldn't log in to post. I think I finally figured out what to do with the temporary password provided but now need to find my profile and enter my own password. I am so computer challenged! This has been a frustrating experience.

And it is hard for me to distinguish which username they are asking for. It would be easier if they used terms like Main Site Username and Forum Username and the same thing for passwords! Lol

Anyway, in case I lose you again, I just want to say hello and I've missed you!
http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=45576

"God has not called me to be successful, God has called me to be faithful." Mother Teresa

"...not to advance in the spiritual life is to go back. But those who have the gale of the Holy Spirit go forward even in sleep.". Brother Lawrence

Green Leaves

Postby Green Leaves » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:35 pm

Hallelujah! I think I figured out how to enter my own password, but if this happens again I know I'll never remember how I did it!

It's really tough being old and forgetful!

"God has not called me to be successful, God has called me to be faithful." Mother Teresa

"...not to advance in the spiritual life is to go back. But those who have the gale of the Holy Spirit go forward even in sleep.". Brother Lawrence

Green Leaves

Postby Green Leaves » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:40 pm

Just to celebrate my return, I have to share this....

Football and the Blonde

Of all the blonde jokes, this one has to be the best -- because it makes football make sense!

A guy took his blonde girlfriend to her first football game. They had great seats right behind their team's bench. After the game, he asked her how she liked it.
"Oh, I really liked it," she replied, "especially the tight pants and all the big muscles, but I just couldn't understand why they were killing each other over 25 cents."
Dumbfounded, her boyfriend asked, "What do you mean?"
"Well, they flipped a coin, one team got it and then for the rest of the game, all they kept screaming was... 'Get the quarterback! Get the quarterback!' I'm like...Helloooooo? It's only 25 cents!!!!"

Edy

Postby Edy » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:48 pm

GreenLeaves!
It's so good to "see" you - I know the feeling about passwords, etc. I have to keep a sheet of paper hidden in our church directory so I can go find my passwords. And, it sure doesn't help that we need two (different?) usernames and passwords to navigate faithwriters. Awhile back they asked us to change them, due to problems. Well, it apparently didn't change for everything - I learned by trial and error to go back to my old password when the new one didn't work but the old one did. I think life gangs up on us chronologically-challenged individuals. We have so much else going for us (memories, history) that I suppose some think we "have it coming," or something! :lol:

And, I loved that blond-football story! :rolling I'm still chuckling.
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:30 pm

That was a cute joke, Carol! And I've missed you, too!

Speaking of laughing, one of our faithful porch sitters sent me this link which I absolutely LOVE!
Since it has nothing to do with politics and everything to do with getting along, I think it's appropriate to post it here. If you don't like it, I'll triple your money back! It's that delightful and sweet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=n6 ... detailpage
Last edited by BeachGrandma on Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Then sings my soul, my Savior God, to Thee,
'How great Thou art, how great Thou art..."

Mariane Holbrook

Edy

Postby Edy » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:54 pm

:rolling :lol: :rolling :superhappy :clap
That is hilarious, BeachGrandma! Everybody should be "all better" after that merry-heart medicine. Wasn't Nancy Reagan a beautiful First Lady, even laughing her head off, she's so naturally glamorous. To think we got to live through such happy days.
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:53 pm

This afternoon I decided it was time to get a head start toward Sunday's Super Bowl snack fest that Carol and I will enjoy.

By the way, we don't watch much of the football game. We keep our eyes glued to the TV to catch the hillarious $$$$$$$$ commercials shown during the game. We don't watch the half-time show either. It's usually some new-agey, heavy-metal, rock concert. What a waste that is.

Several tasty snacks will emerge from our kitchen using my cullinary skills tomorrow and Sunday. Today, however, the festivities began today with a cake.

I made an outstanding applesauce spice cake with some cinnamon added and a cup of sweet raisins mixed in. Then, I made a thick layered, creamy penuche frosting to cap it off. Finally, it was complete with a generous sprinkling of crushed walnuts on top.

Ohhh, mama!!! Did that cake taste good!!!

Stay tuned...more good stuff tomorrow. :thumbs

Don
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

Verna

Postby Verna » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:25 pm

Lovely to see you,Carol.

Don, I'm glad your Carol has such a caring, thoughtful husband. I gained three pounds just reading about your cake.

Edy, I'm thankful for answered prayers for the little boy.

Mariane, I loved watching the comedien with the Reagans.

Blessed week-end to you all!
Verna

A merry heart doeth good like a medicine...
Proverb 17:22

Facebook author page: Verna Cole Mitchell
http://www.magnificomanuscripts.com/

Edy

Postby Edy » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:22 pm

Oooh! I love penuche frosting made from scratch, especially on chocolate/devil's food cake. I wonder why I forget about making some? Have any of you tried a boiled seven-minute frosting with a half-package (or MORE) of real semi-sweet chocolate chips swirled in it just before frosting the cake with it? (Mint chocolate chips are good too) It's even more fun to eat the next day when the swirls/chunks of chocolate have solidified. I think I could finish all the frosting on a 9X13 inch cake at one sitting. But then I'd have to make another batch of frosting for the cake to cover my transgression. :sofa :hide :lol: :angel2
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:45 pm

No, I've never tried that frosting with chocolate chips added. Are the chocolate chips partially melted before spreading on the cake? If not, it would be sort of lumpy spreading, wouldn't it?

By the way, I make the penuche with brown sugar, pure maple syrup, and with either whipping cream or half-and-half. It is cooked to death in the microwave, then beat with electric mixer until creamy (adding cream to keep soft).

Don

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

Green Leaves

Postby Green Leaves » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:51 am

We got a surprise today. Marty won the prize of a Super Bowl party basket at work today, one of two available. It is loaded with all kinds of snacks and we haven't taken the cellophane off to investigate, but I'm sure there are enough for all my porch friends to stop by. Come and bring an appetite!

Mariane, I loved the comedy juggler. He was fabulous. I liked it so much when you emailed it to me that I sent it to all my family. Come to find out, Marty received it last week and shared it with the family. I always hate to send things and clutter up emails when it's just duplication.

If none of you show up Sunday, then we will have a very quiet Super Bowl party on our own, while stuffing our faces. What a shame that would be!

Have a great weekend and remember nothing can touch our lives unless God allows it.

Carole L

Postby Carole L » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:35 pm

I just got this from my DIL and granddaughter, Lillian, who just turned 7.

Dear Mom, Bill and Carole (Nanny, Grandma and Grandpa),

Lillian poked her eye with a letter opener Thu night. It is a deep cut and the doctor has her on a strong antibiotic that burns. She has to return next week to see if it has healed on its own. If it hasn't, she will need stitches. This terrifies her so we are being very good patients. The doctor is concerned about infection so she is staying indoors and away from flying objects. She asks that you pray for healing.

Love,
Colleen and Lillian
Carole

Proud to be a 500 member.
I don't know the master plan, but I know the Master has a plan.

http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=34113

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:43 pm

Carole, are you saying it poked her on the outside of the eye lid or in the eye itself? Anything around the eye is risky, isn't it?

I opened a can of paint once when John was out West for 6 weeks with 4 bus loads of teenagers, and a little piece of metal flew right into my eye. I hurried to the eye doctor who got it out, then put me on strong antibiotics. I wore an eye patch for several days as protection. I remember how concerned I was.

I'll be praying along with the others!
"Then sings my soul, my Savior God, to Thee,
'How great Thou art, how great Thou art..."

Mariane Holbrook

PreviousNext

Return to The Water Cooler