To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Southern Porch Extension

A place for general chat (non-writing related). Please keep political discussions to the relevant neighborhood forum.

Moderators: cori67, RedBaron, Shann

Laurie
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: Southern Porch Extension

Postby Laurie » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:08 pm

Mariane, that's awful what you went through. What a terrible ordeal. I'm so glad to hear, though, that the "mass" turned out to be nothing unusual. Goodness, what a relief.

Joanney, when will you have your surgery?

Having tooth pain and concerned about what it might mean. Really can't handle the "awfulness" nor the expense of dental work right now on top of everything else. I will see the dentist on Thursday.

Edy

Postby Edy » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:02 pm

Ordinarily I wouldn't recommend this option, BeachGrandma, but you might need a tattoo right where they inject the dye: "STOP! Your dye makes me deathly sick." :hide
"Jesus Never Fails!" Love, Edy
The Gospel is such Good News even Christians don't believe it!
The Power of Story
We are the third temple! Acts 7:48, 1 Peter 2:4-5
Essentially Lutheran
My StoriesMy Blog:The Prairie Nightingale

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:44 pm

That's cute, Edy. I'll put it right under my tattoo that says "Vote for Martin Van Buren." LOL

Thanks for your prayers and concern, Laurie. Like all the others here, you are such a loving sister in Christ. I've never understood why God gave sharks unlimited sets of teeth but gave only two to his children. That's one question I hope to ask Him. Toothaches can be terrible. I was born during the Depression when even milk was scarce, my mother was very ill with pernicious anemia and couldn't produce enough milk to feed me, so a neighbor with a baby about my age offered to feed me for several weeks which probably saved my life. I was so underweight and covered with eczema from head to toe for the first 3 years of my life. My oldest sister says all she remembers of me as an infant was crying for hours because I was so hungry and the other sisters would take turns rocking me until it was time for my feeding from my neighbor. Because my mother had such a calcium deficiency, it was passed on to me and I've always had problems with my teeth, spending literally thousands and thousands of dollars on them. But everyone suffered in those days one way or another.

Joanney, I learned after the CT scan dye that I was allergic to it so as soon as the hospital called to say I had an appointment for an MRI, I told them about my reaction and asked them to put it on my chart right away. The guy said he would immediately. But he either forgot or the team in the MRI didn't notice it or decided they very much needed the contrasting dye to get the best picture. When John called the day after I became so ill the 2nd time, he received their voice mail, told them what had happened after the MRI injection and asked them to return my call. They didn't.
I should write a letter to them but I have reasons to believe the girls who man the MRI dept desk will either ignore it or toss my letter in the trash. But I am prepared if I have another MRI to carry my assault weapon and backup arsenal and dare them to stick a needle in my arm. Grrrrrr.

The boys were at their mothers this weekend but got homesick and started crying to come home to Grandma's so Tim met them half way. You can't believe the hugging we all got when they came running up the stairs. Their mother has rented a new home in a housing development so they got to see their bedrooms, and two new kittens she bought them. After they arrived here this afternoon with Tim, I asked how they liked their new home. Instantly, Jackson said "Grandma, THIS is our home, here with you and Grandpa. The other is just my mother's house which we have to visit a few days every week even though we don't want to."

I guess I'd better get some sleep. Love you all.
"I long, O I long to be holy, conformed to His will and His Word.
I long to be gentle and Christ-like; I long to be just like my Lord."

Mariane Holbrook

Joanney

Postby Joanney » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:00 pm

Laurie, insurance will not pay for my surgery until April, but at that point, I will try to hold out until after the end of the semester and have it in May. I have had very few incidences of pain since I did that cleansing diet in Sept/Oct, but the other symptoms have not gone away. They have gotten better, more manageable, with medication, but are still there. When I get to heaven, I want to meet the woman who touched the hem of Christ's garment. Months is bad enough, I cannot images YEARS. :oops:

I was not feeling well Wed afternoon through Friday, head congestion. As a result, I didn't get as much studying done on Thurs and Friday during my scheduled study times, so I have had to focus on that all weekend. Still way behind and classes only started on this week. So, back to the books. :D
ImageImage

"We are not sinners because we sin, we sin because we are sinners."

You have wearied the LORD with your words.
“How have we wearied him?” you ask.
By saying, “All who do evil are good in the eyes of the LORD, and he is pleased with them” or “Where is the God of justice?”

Malachi 2:17

Edy

Postby Edy » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:21 pm

For the "merry heart does good like medicine" therapy, I found this chuckle on facebook. Too bad I cannot copy-paste the cute photo of a smiley old Asian doctor that accompanied it.

I love this guy and his philosophy
Smart Doctor!

Q: Doctor, I've heard that cardiovascular exercise can prolong life. Is this true?
A: Heart only good for so many beats, and that it... Don't waste on exercise. Everything wear out eventually. Speeding up heart not make you live longer; it like saying you extend life of car by driving faster. Want to live longer? Take nap.

Q: Should I reduce my alcohol intake?
A: Oh no. Wine made from fruit. Brandy distilled wine, that mean they take water out of fruity bit so you get even more of goodness that way. Beer also made of grain. Bottom up!

Q: How can I calculate my body/fat ratio?
A: Well, if you have body and you have fat, your ratio one to one. If you have two body, your ratio two to one.

Q: What are some of the advantages of participating in a regular exercise program?
A: Can't think of single one, sorry. My philosophy: No pain...good!

Q: Aren't fried foods bad for you?
A: YOU NOT LISTENING! Food fried in vegetable oil. How getting more vegetable be bad?

Q : Will sit-ups help prevent me from getting a little soft around the middle?
A: Oh no! When you exercise muscle, it get bigger. You should only be doing sit-up if you want bigger stomach.

Q: Is chocolate bad for me?
A: You crazy?!? HEL-LO-O!! Cocoa bean! Another vegetable! It best feel-good food around!

Q: Is swimming good for your figure?
A: If swimming good for figure, explain whale to me.

Q: Is getting in shape important for my lifestyle?
A: Hey! 'Round' is shape!

Well... I hope this has cleared up any misconceptions you may have had about food and diets.

And remember:
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!!"

AND.....

For those of you who watch what you eat, here's the final word on nutrition and health. It's a relief to know the truth after all those conflicting nutritional studies.

1. The Japanese eat very little fat and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.

2. The Mexicans eat a lot of fat and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.

3. The Chinese drink very little red wine and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.

4. The Italians drink a lot of red wine and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans...

5. The Germans drink a lot of beer and eat lots of sausages and fats and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.

CONCLUSION: Eat and drink what you like. Speaking English is apparently what kills you.
:wink:
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

Edy

Postby Edy » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:35 pm

A prayer request I posted last night for our congregation:

From Edy's brother Dr. Joel:
Please pray for a four-and-a-half year old boy brought to the ER with no signs of life (so dehydrated from flu medication causing vomiting and diarrhea). After 45 minutes of working on him (and praying God's will be done), the boy's heart began to respond. He is in ICU, on a ventilator to support his breathing; praise the Lord his heart is beating on its own and his pupils have begun to react. Pray for a good recovery of health and brain function. And pray for his distraught parents, an older couple; this is their only child. Thanks so much!

It sure can be hard, being a doctor. Joel said it felt as if they were hopelessly working on a dead child (the approximate age of two of his own grandchildren), but praying for God's will - and then the heart monitor began to blip! The pupils reacting is a good sign that there is brain activity - not sure how long he was truly lifeless before he reached medical attention, but God knows.
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:00 pm

The following was just added to my true-life humor file.

Today I finished part two of a two-appointment annual physical. Thankfully, nothing was found during the doctor's diligent search to find something treatable and billable.

However, there is one thing that was quite disturbing to me. You see, when I was in my prime a half-century ago, I was 72 1/2" tall. Today I was shocked when I learned that my height was measured at only 69 1/2".

When I mentally did the math (I can still do that, ya know), I realized that 3" had somehow disappeared into thin air. In other words, 4.1% of me no longer exists. Where did it go? After hearing that alarming news, I was half tempted to demand a thorough review of the clinic's equipment-calibration records.

I always figured that some shrinkage had gradually taken place over time, but a whole quarter of a foot? What's more, there is no easy way to get it back either. That is scary!

The fact that I am becoming more and more vertically challenged is bad news, but there is some rather comforting good news as well. I know that the next time I fall down, the distance to the floor will be shorter...and the fall won't hurt as much. :lol:

Don
John 14:6
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"
http://faithwriters.com/article-details.php?id=41225

http://faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=18654

"The Israel Connection"
http://theisraelconnection.blogspot.com/

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

Verna

Postby Verna » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:59 pm

I enjoyed your report, Don. I thought I'd lost an inch and a half, but I found it around my middle.

Cute exercise advice, Edy--Hola! Praying for that little boy. I have great respect for the work of consecrated doctors.

Joanney, I wish you could touch the hem of His garment, too. Praying for all your concerns.

I subbed a half day today. I enjoyed being with the kids and teachers, and while I plan to sub for two periods on Friday, I'm about finished with that gig!

Hugs to all my friends.
Verna

A merry heart doeth good like a medicine...
Proverb 17:22

Facebook author page: Verna Cole Mitchell
http://www.magnificomanuscripts.com/

Edy

Postby Edy » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:59 pm

Hugs back to you, too, Verna - and thanks to all for joining in prayer!

Last night Joel said the next 48 hours are critical for little J's brain response. His kidneys have revived, so that's good news for praising the Lord. Here's the request I circulated to our prayer links at church:

Prayer Update on the 4-year-old boy in ICU:
The next 48 hours are critical for J's brain recovery. Right now he is considered to be in a vegetative state. Encouraging news is his kidney function is improving. Thank you for surrounding him and his parents in prayer, for God's wisdom for everyone involved in J's care, and for God's will to be manifest to all. We know He is able to do exceedingly above all we can ask or think, and His Spirit intercedes for us with sighs too deep for words. We praise the Lord for every encouraging sign of recovery.
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:22 am

These are entries from my original humor file:

It's was little chilly around here yesterday morning. Well, okay...it started to get down-right cold. Our area was almost 20 below zero. The wind chill factors were around minus 30 to minus 50 degrees. Yikes!

How cold is that, you ask?

* It's so cold that most of the kids will be bundled up like frozen little Eskimos at the bus stops. However, one cool-acting dude will likely only be wearing shorts, a tee-shirt, and flip-flops. They will find him in the spring.

* It's so cold that if you blink your eyes, the lids are likely to shatter and fall off.

* It's so cold that a typical dinner table setting must include a knife, fork, spoon...and ice pick.

* It's so cold that when you try to start the car, all you hear is a "rrrrrr..rrr..rr..r..." from the starting motor before the battery goes dead.

* It's so cold that when I push my poor little dog outside to do business for 1 1/2 minutes in the morning, her eyes glaze over and she says, “Whoa, mama!” Then, she tries to hobble back to the house while holding three frozen paws up in the air.

* It's so cold that if the car does start in the slightly warmer garage, a stern sounding voice from somewhere under the hood says, "If you make me go outside in this weather, then, be prepared to walk 'cause I'm gonna get even with you! Gas lines in cars freeze, ya know?"

* It's so cold that often in the middle of the night, the ice from moisture in the roof rafters will crack with a rather un-nerving noise - sounding much like a sonic boom in the bedroom.

* It's so cold that car tires develop a large flat spot where they have been frozen in place. As you are driving, it's rather annoying to hear a "roll, roll, thump...roll, roll, thump" sound until the spring thaw.

* It's so cold that I'm gonna stay inside today before the door freezes shut.

Don
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

Verna

Postby Verna » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:27 pm

Made me cold just reading that, Don, and it was 20 here in the South this morning!
Verna

A merry heart doeth good like a medicine...
Proverb 17:22

Facebook author page: Verna Cole Mitchell
http://www.magnificomanuscripts.com/

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:19 pm

I'm so proud of my son, Tim Holbrook! In addition to his position as Creative Director at Myrtle Grove Presbyterian Church in Wilmington, he teaches guitar to students and now is designing and selling custom-made guitars which are exquisite. Taking a piece of beautifully-grained wood, he built this guitar from scratch, spent over 200 hours on it and has already sold it for famed guitarist A.J. Ghent. Tim's guitars are not inexpensive but they are already getting wide attention as masterpieces of workmanship and design. His company name is 33:3 Custom Guitars (taken from Psalm 33:3) "Sing to him a new song; play skillfully on the strings, and shout for joy."

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 091&type=1
"I long, O I long to be holy, conformed to His will and His Word.
I long to be gentle and Christ-like; I long to be just like my Lord."

Mariane Holbrook

Laurie

Postby Laurie » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:43 pm

Verna, I regret that I missed your book the other day. :( I hope sales are going well. I know what an uphill climb book sales can be.

Don, I got a kick out of what you shared about the cold as well as the whole shrinking thing - not laughing that you shrunk (as we all do), but the way you told the story. :) My tires did the roll, thump thing yesterday. And I hear those loud cracks at my place in the winter, too. Those are a little unnerving.

Edy, how is that little boy doing today?

Joanney, I knew you had to wait for the new ins. to cover the surgery, but I didn't know how long. I hope you'll be able to wait even until after the end of the semester since it would make things a little simpler for you. Even so, I'm sure it's going to be rough being off work in the summer, too.

Things aren't good here, but that's nothing new. :(

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:04 pm

BeachGrandma wrote:I'm so proud of my son, Tim Holbrook! In addition to his position as Creative Director at Myrtle Grove Presbyterian Church in Wilmington, he teaches guitar to students and now is designing and selling custom-made guitars which are exquisite. Taking a piece of beautifully-grained wood, he built this guitar from scratch, spent over 200 hours on it and has already sold it for famed guitarist A.J. Ghent. Tim's guitars are not inexpensive but they are already getting wide attention as masterpieces of workmanship and design. His company name is 33:3 Custom Guitars (taken from Psalm 33:3) "Sing to him a new song; play skillfully on the strings, and shout for joy."

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 091&type=1

Wow! What a great talent! That is a beautiful guitar. Does someone else build them for him? There is a lot of pricy/specialized equipment involved.

I bought a used guitar from a pawn shop about 50 years ago. I messed with it for a year or so...and even tried singing some 50's country western music too (I could do Johnny Cash stuff pretty well). I soon lost interest when nobody invited me to perform or go on tour. :lol:

I eventually sold the thing to someone else for what I had invested in it. Nothing lost...nothing gained.

Don

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

Laurie

Postby Laurie » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:52 pm

The dentist told me I need to go back to the endodontist who did my root canal and that she might have to go back into the tooth and do some more work. I can just see the dollar signs with this possible dental work plus my out-of-pocket for my medical expenses. :shock: Plus I need to get going on this, two foot surgeries and whatever I'll need to have done for my hand so I can get everything all wrapped up this year on this deductible. But my mom's farm closing is still up in the air, so it's hard to start scheduling anything yet. I've said it many times, and I'm sure I'll say it many more - I'll be so glad when this year is over.

PreviousNext

Return to The Water Cooler