To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Southern Porch Extension

A place for general chat (non-writing related). Please keep political discussions to the relevant neighborhood forum.

Moderators: cori67, RedBaron, Shann

BeachGrandma
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: Southern Porch Extension

Postby BeachGrandma » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:58 am

Allison, do you have a link to your story? I'm sure many of us haven't read it.

Laurie, I'll give your business name some thought, too,

Remember Lou Giglio who hosts the Passion Conference every year in Atlanta? This January 60,000 college students attended. (Tim went last year as a counselor) Anyway, because Lou's church in Atlanta had raised 2 or 3 million dollars to fight human trafficking, he was invited to offer to pray the benediction at the president's inauguration. Then someone dug up a sermon that Lou preached 15 or 20 years ago in which he talked about the gay lifestyle and how it threatened our families. Lou said he knew that's all the media would report about his benediction prayer so he has withdrawn his name from the inauguration. Here is the link from the Washington Post. I knew Carol, Laurie and some others on the Porch have listened to Lou.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/pos ... -comments/
"O Jesus, Jesus, dearest Lord, forgive me if I say
For very love, thy sacred name, a thousand times a day.
O Jesus, Lord, with me abide; I rest in Thee whate'er betide.
Thy gracious smile is my reward. I love, I love Thee, Lord.

Mariane Holbrook

Verna

Postby Verna » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:56 pm

Too bad about Pastor Giglio, Mariane.

Laurie --how about

LAURIE--YOUR VIRTUAL ASSISTANT
or CALL LAURIE
Capable and Dependable

Clerical/Bookkeeping
Assistance for Small Businesses
and
Personal Business Management for Seniors
Verna

A merry heart doeth good like a medicine...
Proverb 17:22

Facebook author page: Verna Cole Mitchell
http://www.magnificomanuscripts.com/

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:51 pm

Laurie, I read somewhere that business names that begin with the letter "C" are most likely to succeed.

Because of that, I chose my company name beginning with the letter "C", and had no complaints over the years. The name was "Creative Research and Manufacturing, Inc."

Don
John 14:6
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"
http://faithwriters.com/article-details.php?id=41225

http://faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=18654

"The Israel Connection"
http://theisraelconnection.blogspot.com/

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

Allison

Postby Allison » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:58 pm

BeachGrandma wrote:Allison, do you have a link to your story? I'm sure many of us haven't read it.

Here's the link for you and anyone else who hasn't read it yet. :) Also, I'm still trying to find "my" color here. :lol:
http://www.faithwriters.com/article-det ... p?id=38061
Isaiah 40:30-31 (NIV)

Carole L

Postby Carole L » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:29 pm

I'm sharing an email I received:

We was brung up proper!!!

"And we never had a whole Mars bar until 1993"!!!

CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL MY FRIENDS WHO WERE BORN IN THE 1940's, 50's, 60's and 70’s (not to forget 1930's)

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank Sherry while they carried us and lived in houses made of asbestos...

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese, bread and dripping, raw egg products, loads of bacon and processed meat, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes or cervical cancer. Then after that trauma, our baby cots were covered with bright coloured lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets or shoes, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking.

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags. We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle. Take away food was limited to fish and chips, no pizza shops, McDonalds, KFC, Subway or Nandos. Even though all the shops closed at 6.00pm and didn't open on a Sunday, somehow we didn't starve to death!

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.

We could collect old drink bottles and cash them in at the corner store and buy Toffees, Gobstoppers and Bubble Gum.

We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter, milk from the cow, and drank soft drinks with sugar in it, but we weren't overweight because.......

WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on. No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O.K. We would spend hours building our go-carts out of old prams and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. We built tree houses and dens and played in river beds with matchbox cars.

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo Wii, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 999 channels on SKY, no video/dvd films, or colour TV no mobile phones, no personal computers, no Internet or Internet chat rooms..........WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no lawsuits from these accidents.

Only girls had pierced ears!

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

You could only buy Easter Eggs and Hot Cross Buns at Easter time....

We were given air guns and catapults for our 10th birthdays. We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just yelled for them!

Mum didn't have to go to work to help dad make ends meet because we didn't need to keep up with the Jones's!

Not everyone made the rugby/football/cricket/netball team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!! Getting into the team was based on MERIT.

Our teachers used to hit us with canes and gym shoes and throw the blackboard rubber at us if they thought we weren't concentrating ...

We can string sentences together and spell and have proper conversations because of a good, solid three R's education.

Our parents would tell us to ask a stranger to help us cross the road.

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!

Our parents didn't invent stupid names for their kids like 'Kiora' and 'Blade' and 'Ridge' and 'Vanilla'.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned HOW TO DEAL WITH IT ALL!

And YOU are one of them! CONGRATULATIONS!

You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated our lives for our own good.

And while you are at it, forward it to your kids so they will know how brave their parents were.

PS—The big type is your eyes are not too good at your age anymore.
Carole

Proud to be a 500 member.
I don't know the master plan, but I know the Master has a plan.

http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=34113

Laurie

Postby Laurie » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:10 pm

Allison, what a neat opportunity you had at work. I hope you'll keep us posted on that.

Carole, I've seen that before, but enjoyed reading it again. :)

Thanks, Verna and Don, for your feedback on a business name. Nothing is quite clicking yet, but I feel I'm getting closer. Why is this so hard? I want something that will rank well with the search engines, so I should probably use the word virtual. I also posted in the water cooler and someone said she read a person should use his/her name. That wouldn't be good for seo (search engine optimization), though. Nothing starting with the letter C is coming to me. Maybe something plain like Virtual Office Services. I don't know. I think I need to roam around a virtual assistant forum I found and see what others named their businesses. Maybe something will come to me.

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:42 pm

I hadn't read that before, Carole, and I laughed aloud at some of them. Sadly, we live in such a different world today that we wouldn't dare let our kids out after breakfast and not worry if we didn't see them until supper. We'd issue an Amber alert if they are gone more than two or three hours without our knowing where they are.

Allison, it doesn't matter if the color font you choose for this thread is being used by someone else. We are rather limited by using only red for prayer requests but we thought it was worthwhile to show how important these prayer requests are. I still haven't found a color I'm completely satisfied with so I switch around some. If you'd rather use plain black, that's ok, too.

I'm having a scope test of my throat and tummy tomorrow morning to see what the blockage is all about. I'd appreciate your prayers. Then on Wednesday evening I'm having an MRI on my abdomen since the recent CT scan I had wasn't conclusive. It showed some kind of mass but the CT scan couldn't identify it. "My times are in Thy hands."

:grouphug :grouphug3 :grouphug :grouphug3 :loveyou :loveyou :loveyou :loveyou :loveyou :loveyou :loveyou :grouphug2 :grouphug2 :love2 :love2 :love2

Mariane Holbrook

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:52 pm

:lol:
BeachGrandma wrote:
I'm having a scope test of my throat and tummy tomorrow morning to see what the blockage is all about. I'd appreciate your prayers. Then on Wednesday evening I'm having an MRI on my abdomen since the recent CT scan I had wasn't conclusive. It showed some kind of mass but the CT scan couldn't identify it. "My times are in Thy hands."

:grouphug :grouphug3 :grouphug :grouphug3 :loveyou :loveyou :loveyou :loveyou :loveyou :loveyou :loveyou :grouphug2 :grouphug2 :love2 :love2 :love2

Mariane, I will be praying that the tests will find nothing at all. Please keep us informed so we can know how to pray.

Perhaps, worst case, they will only find a hunk of broccoli that got stuck along the way. :lol:

Don
John 14:6
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"
http://faithwriters.com/article-details.php?id=41225

http://faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=18654

"The Israel Connection"
http://theisraelconnection.blogspot.com/

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

Edy

Postby Edy » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:02 pm

Thanks for letting us know so we can surround you in prayer, BeachGrandma. Praying the peace that passes understanding washes over you like a warm shower. The Great Physician is on the case, so you couldn't be in better Hands! :grouphug2
"Jesus Never Fails!" Love, Edy
The Gospel is such Good News even Christians don't believe it!
The Power of Story
We are the third temple! Acts 7:48, 1 Peter 2:4-5
Essentially Lutheran
My StoriesMy Blog:The Prairie Nightingale

Edy

Postby Edy » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:14 pm

We had a Russian balalaika concert at our St. Paul's, Friday night. And, it was recorded so I can share it with you! Liza (LEE za) grew up in the Soviet Union and, if my memory serves me, met Jesus through her grandmother. We met her when she came to Minnesota for Bible school. She and Eric met while working with children, they married and went to Russia to work with children, there. After her music, Eric presents the great needs of the Russian people.

In addition to the need for prayer, we also praise the Lord for the over 20,000 Russian students who have heard the Good News, many for the first time. These former students are reaching others with the Gospel through many avenues of ministry.

This is a ministry quite dear to my heart. Enjoy!
http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/28413751

Pardon the ads interrupting, but not cutting out, any of the program!
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

Verna

Postby Verna » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:58 pm

Praying, dear Mariane, for our great Healer to hold you in His hands. I have your lovely poem in the back of my devotional journal to remind me everyday that I am "Written on the Palm of His Hand."
Verna

A merry heart doeth good like a medicine...
Proverb 17:22

Facebook author page: Verna Cole Mitchell
http://www.magnificomanuscripts.com/

Edy

Postby Edy » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:28 pm

Here's a chuckle from my email inbox for everyone:

The Door
Ever walk into a room with some purpose in mind, only to completely forget what that purpose was? Turns out, doors themselves are to blame for these strange memory lapses.

Psychologists at the University of Notre Dame have discovered that passing through a doorway triggers what's known as an event boundary in the mind, separating one set of thoughts and memories from the next. Your brain files away the thoughts you had in the previous room and prepares a blank slate for the new locale.

Thank goodness for studies like this. It's not our age, it's that stupid door!

Did I send this before?

8)
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:46 pm

The test at the gastroenterologist was over in an hour and the pictures he took inside my throat show a very large "pocket" which will have to be surgically repaired. He said the only place in North Carolina where one that large can be done is Duke University Medical Center in Durham which is 200 miles from our house and takes about 3 1/2 hours each way. As soon as we can work out a date, I'll have to go there for a consult, then return for the surgery as soon as it can be arranged. Riding in a car or any vehicle is very hard on my crippled back so as usual, I'm praying for Jesus to come back so I can avoid having it done.

Kind of sleepy, so I'll say goodnight...

Mariane Holbrook

Edy

Postby Edy » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:56 am

Dear BeachGrandma - I'm so glad for your good news! Could this "pocket" be something you've had all your life? Was Don right, and it had a "cud" of broccoli in it? :mrgreen: It sounds a bit like a hiatal hernia, causing pressure discomfort up under the ribs. Now, if we can just find you a "sleeper car" for the ride to Duke, so you don't have to sit up for the whole trip!

God is so good - that thought comes to mind off and on throughout the day as I wonder, "Lord, why have you blessed me so much?" Especially so, when I hear of the troubles others have. One of my nieces sent a prayer request for a co-worker. Just reading it is almost too much to fathom.

+ A co-worker's extended family: Lisa's 12-year-old nephew committed suicide (witnessed by his seven-year old brother) on the anniversary of his father's suicide. Their mother, Crystal, also very troubled, attempted suicide herself, recently. One of the three remaining sons has special needs and doesn't understand about his brother's death. Funeral the 18th. Lisa's father was recently diagnosed with bladder cancer. This family really needs your prayer support. Thank you.

"But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities; the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed." Isaiah 53:5
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

deejay

Postby deejay » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:41 pm

My maternal grandmother had an esophogeal pouch--sounds like that's what you have. Yeah, maybe you can arrange for someone to drive you while you're lying down across the back seat--think that would work?

PreviousNext

Return to The Water Cooler