To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Pacific Coast Rest-Stop

A place for general chat (non-writing related). Please keep political discussions to the relevant neighborhood forum.

Moderators: cori67, RedBaron, Shann

violin4jesus
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: Pacific Coast Rest-Stop

Postby violin4jesus » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:53 am

Well, we made it home just over an hour ago after a very nice visit to Seattle. We had a great Christmas with family, and I got to hold Kylie (my niece) several times and give her a bottle too. She's just starting to roll over and is as cute as can be. She also just started eating and I had her in my lap at dinner - every time I brought a bite to my mouth she opened hers so wide that my brother finally had to give her some blueberry/banana mash so she could enjoy eating too. She likes books but mostly biting on them, of course. I was thinking after reading some of those books that maybe it wouldn't be that hard to write one for babies and maybe I should write a book for her. And my brother can illustrate it because he's a pretty good artist. Anyways just random thoughts.

My parents bought me a book of raw vegan recipes and gave me also a gift card to Kohl's. My brother and sis-in-law gave me a copy of their family pic and cash. I was so happy my dad's gift made it through the mail (the confirmation tag fell off the package, but it arrived safely on Monday) so I had something for everyone. My parents bought Ryan the Seafarers of Catan expansion set which we immediately played. We also played it today with my parents before we left. We drove to Tacoma on Wednesday and saw several friends as well, and visited with Ryan's aunt & uncle on Thursday. We felt very rested after our trip, though ready to get back to life as usual. I'm scheduled for 4 shifts next week.

Lovely to see Miss Holly back! I'm glad we were your resolution this year. I am resolving to write more and finish that book that still only has 10K words done. And enter the Challenge to compete for that cash. And make more raw vegan stuff. The book from my mom gives multiple good arguments for doing it.

Hope SisJ is doing better, Amy, and you as well. Buggies seem to be going around everywhere. We keep downing the supplements and sleeping as much as we can to stay healthy.

Running out of brainpower and I hope it's because the Benadryl is working. Ryan wants me to join him in tearing down the stage with his acting group in the morning. We'll see if I'm ready to get up then. If I go to bed right now I'll still only get 7 hours of sleep. Hope all y'all's weekend is starting out well and ends even better.

I'll leave you with a picture of absolute adorableness:
(not me, of course, but the baby)

JesusPuppy

Postby JesusPuppy » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:06 pm

Are those horns I see? :shock:

:heehee
....JesusPuppy (or just call me Pup) Image

And just for the record, I am a Male.

"I am a writer, I do NOT lie... I fictionalise." JP

"The Lord Bless thee, and keep thee.." Num. 6:24

JesusPuppy Profile

Cypress Times, online Christian news paper.

deejay

Postby deejay » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:01 pm

Hey, Pup, I found this and thought you might like it. Which one is Tom Baker, the one on the top row at right?
http://forbiddenplanet.co.uk/blog/2012/doctor-mew/

Shann

Postby Shann » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:01 pm

Hey I remember that bubbly person, Molly right? :tongue I'm glad to see you pop in. I know life has been hard and I'm glad you're busy at work cuz that means you have some income which I know you were worried about a year or two ago. Also I thought of flat chested right away too. Now i'm mulling over a story about a person with a flat affect who is a member of the Flat earth Society but that may take too much research. Plus I'm busy proofing stories for others. I've even gotten some paid editing jobs! Just when I wonder how we will make it through God answers.

Becky, I know before when I have complained about a store, I often get free gift cards. There is a balance to being upset and pleasant that you have to achieve. When Nestle stopped making the powder form of vanilla milk, I sent a letter saying how much I missed it. I also threw in some humor. I ended up getting like $25 in free coupons. I told my sister and she sent a letter and only got one coupon for about a buck. It's a gift. :wink:

Leah your picture is adorable. I'm not sure if Pup meant you had the horns, the baby or him. It sounds like a wonderful experience. I will say I cringed when you said that the books were easy to write. But then I realized you meant the baby board book. Most people think writing children books are easier because it is shorter. But it is considered one of the hardest genres to write. I have a dream of doing a grow with me series about Wrigley that would start out with baby board books and go through Middle School. Amy is going to nag me until I perfect them enough to write a proposal.

My nieces just had babies this summer. When Sofie had her baby shower(the day after M's wedding so I didn't go0 they asked for books for the bookshelf. I always give books as part of a baby gift but I thought I'd try doing one of my stories for her. I wanted one of my sister's kids to do the illustrations but they wouldn't do it. I was hoping to find a computer program or something that would help but can't find something that goes as far cuz I need lots of help illustrating. But I think it's a cool idea. Though if you wanted to do a board book, I'm not quite sure how easy it would be to bind it. When Lyd was in kindergarten I wrote a book called Tie My Shoe. I went into her class and took a picture of each kid and then devoted a page to each one. Then I made a copy for the teacher and Chris laminated it at work. Then I made B&W copies for each student. It was pretty neat. I'd love to get that ready to be published too. I think it's cute and takes a kid through the day of school while still being fun. It has a lot of repetition in it too so it's perfect for that age. I've had other teachers ask me for a copy of it.
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

JesusPuppy

Postby JesusPuppy » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:25 am

deejay wrote:Hey, Pup, I found this and thought you might like it. Which one is Tom Baker, the one on the top row at right?
http://forbiddenplanet.co.uk/blog/2012/doctor-mew/

Yeppers. You can tell the Doctors apart by their outfits, and they did a good job copying that in those cat pics. Way cool.

Shann.. you know I was just joking. I mean really. Everyone knows babies horns don't show until they are at least two. :wink:

JesusPuppy Profile

AnneRene'

Postby AnneRene' » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:47 pm

JesusPuppy wrote:(((BUBBLES!!!)))

I was just a little worried the aliens might have gotten you. They may not have come back for the Mayans, (them being dead and gone for so long) but hey. Glad to see you are back. Or is it you? Are you sure you are not an alien clone..?

:::Looking up research on cloning::: :book2

It's me! It's me! It's me! It's really, really me!
th_untitled-1.jpg
th_untitled-1.jpg (7.08 KiB) Viewed 851 times
UNLEEEEEEEESS they did a really good job on cloning my brain too and I only "think" it's me. :roll: HOWEVER, I just know those little aliens are living in my computer. Like for real!!!! I've been unable to log on here since saturday because after I logged into the forums once and posted my first post on whatever day it was....Thursday ?....each time I hit the view new post button...I was taken to the forums log in page and it wouldn't accept my password. AND then, I tried logging into the main home page for FW and went on a scavanger hunt to find this forum...found it....could even read it, but when I hit the reply button I was swepted to the login page and it wouldn't accept my password....SO, I requested a new password and VOILA....me's here. But, not after feeling like I wanted to rip my innards out! Talk about mega F R U S T R A T I O N!

Okay...me's done ranting. Miss Leahakins....DITTO...so glad to see you back on here and YES your neice is absolutely ADORABLE...even with the teeny-tiny horns. :mrgreen:

Shannikins, I would also LOVE to see your book "Tie My Shoe". Definitely keep working to get it published. So happy to see you active, and out of the pain and slumps you were in. Does my heart good!!!! BTW...congratulations on M's Wedding and gaining a new son-in-law.

Untitled7.jpg
Untitled7.jpg (29.09 KiB) Viewed 851 times

JesusPuppy

Postby JesusPuppy » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:29 pm

Alien tech is soooo good they can make a plastic copy of you for deep infiltration, and you wouldn't even know you weren't real until they activated you for a mission.

Now I am really worried. You even agreed with the horns. The reeeeal Holly would never say such a thing about a baby. :shock:

Maybe about Re-Kiddo Becky, but never a baby. :sofa

As for the login thingy... if you haven't been on since the latest hacking attack on the site you will need to reset all of your passwords, both the main as well as for the Boards. It will just keep happening if you don't.

JesusPuppy Profile

Rebecky

Postby Rebecky » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:50 pm

:fingerwag

I admit it, I have horns. How else will my halo stay up?

:tongue

SO those of you who have a kindle I found a website called "BookLeanding.com"

Basically you can lend and borrow books from other people who have a kindle. Just keep in mind any books you have that are lendable you can only lend once.

Someone is lending my Hunger Games Trilogy and I requested to borrow a couple books. I also got somethings for free, including the complete sherlock holmes books. :mrgreen:
Dum Spiro Spero

AnneRene'

Postby AnneRene' » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:30 pm

Rebecky wrote::fingerwag

Basically you can lend and borrow books from other people who have a kindle. Just keep in mind any books you have that are lendable you can only lend once.

Someone is lending my Hunger Games Trilogy and I requested to borrow a couple books. I also got somethings for free, including the complete sherlock holmes books. :mrgreen:

Hey-ya Beckykins...sounds good but after a new computer...then my goal is to get a kindle. I did tho, get a new android WHICH IS HUGE 4 me. I went back to metro (my roommates granson calls it getro) :)....but anyway, got rid of my land line and am saving some bucks. So, if any of ewes is interested, you can now get me on

555-1212 :mrgreen: OK....it's off Shannikins. :roll:

As for the little horns....I'm bad, I'm bad, I'm really, really bad!
bth_AnimatedDogLaughing.gif
bth_AnimatedDogLaughing.gif (7.68 KiB) Viewed 848 times

I juuuuuuuust don't know what's wrong with me....SOMEbody stop me. :rolling
Last edited by AnneRene' on Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rebecky

Postby Rebecky » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:30 pm

:D

So who are you with? Verizon? etc?

:mrgreen:
Dum Spiro Spero

AnneRene'

Postby AnneRene' » Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:51 pm

Rebecky wrote::D

So who are you with? Verizon? etc?

:mrgreen:

metropcs and i only pay $30.00 a month for unlimited everything. i don't use a lot of apps, so i don't need a lot of memory which is when the price goes up. k....back to cleaning mes room which i've put off like for-eva! :)

Rebecky

Postby Rebecky » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:08 pm

Nifty! I was asking cause I have verizon and texts for unlimited for others who also have verizon but for those who i don't i get 500 text a month.

Oh and fyi- they do sell the Kindle for $69 or $89
or the Kindle Paperwhite for $119 or $139

Just depends if you want ads or not. The ads only show up when you aren't reading though.
Dum Spiro Spero

Shann

Postby Shann » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:51 pm

Rebecky wrote::fingerwag

Oh I love that horn comment. You had me giggling with glee as I pictured your halo askew Oh cool I'll have to check that out. Becky. Both M and Lyd got kindles for Christmas and I got a tablet. I know Amy loaned me her Nook versions of the Hunger Games. I could keep them for two weeks. That's the nice thing about the tablet is I can have three book readers. Kindle, Nook and Google Play which let me upload Twilight for free. I read her books a few years ago and reread it just a bit ago and wonder why on earth she did so well. Man my ink colored pens would go dry really fast.

I went to Church then stayed for luncheon and helped clean up, then went shopping in 3 stores and picked up my scripts. I was gone for 6 hours and am tuckered. I think we have a winner for the kids contest which is really cool. I'm excited about them getting into writing. Hopefully we will announce winners tomorrow.

Oh I got the Kindle Fire for $120 before Christmas.

You might want to erase your number Holly. I copied it into my phone if anyone needs it. You missed the hacker fiasco but it rattled me quite a bit. Someone got into my account and changed my signature to something really disturbing. The thing is the signature is so natural, even though I changed everything and checked my stories like told I didn't think of checking signature until someone who had received a PM from me thought it was quite dark. It made me sick and I often can cross that line sometimes. That's probably why you had a hard time logging in.
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

violin4jesus

Postby violin4jesus » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:49 am

Figures. They called me like 3-4 nights when I was off and out of town to work extra, and the first night I'm scheduled I'm sitting at home on call. Grrr....

I do want to get a Kindle, but first we have to pay off the rest of the credit card from our trip to Seattle (and whatever was left from the car repairs). I use the Kindle app on my phone for now, but I do want something which won't require the use of my computer glasses to protect my eyes. Becky, there's a couple sites which tell you the deals for free Kindle books: BookBub and Inspired Reads. Also there are a ton of public domain books if you just search the Kindle store starting with $0.00 and up. I have way too many now in my Kindle archive. Meaning that I don't have time to read them all. Or I don't make time. That's kinda one of my resolutions this year. To make time for stuff I want to do.

Yes, Miss Shann - you do need to work on publishing that book. I do realize that children's books are hard to write, and illustrating is a big part of it. I was thinking of individualizing the books for Kylie and making them stories about her, which she would enjoy. Actually it was my mom that thought of it first, so I can't even take the credit for that. :wink: The books she loves are simple but take creativity on the part of the reader to make the book more interesting. I just have to mull on it and figure out something fun. Maybe even taking Bible stories and making them readable to a baby. Shoot, I should do that for my own kids' sake.

Ryan starts up college again this week, which he's not too keen on. He's already worried about the amount of work, but I'm sure it'll be doable. My mom suggested I look into getting my Master's, especially if my employer will pay for it. They'll cover $2000 a year, which isn't much, but might cover two classes or so. I'll do some looking. It's been nine years since I graduated, and I still love not having homework all weekend. Up til now I've been completely uninterested in going back to school, but it's true that I should consider it if my employer is offering. The only catch is I'd have to do it in nursing. I'm not sure I really want to move up in nursing. I love my job, but I'm not sure I'd like to do anything other than teaching, which pays practically nothing. Management is such a headache, though, and I don't really want to go that route.

Miss Holly, we need more fun pictures. Get to working on that. :lol: Seriously, though, I do love having you back.

Pup, I know her hair has some pretty curls, but I'm pretty sure they're not horns. :roll: Fairly sure. Other than the refusing to go to sleep, she's an angel! :mrgreen:

Okay, time to make a snack and do some internet browsing. Still mulling over the flat topic. The thing that stands out in my world has to do with FHR monitor strips, and it's a not-so-good thing to see, but only Shanny and I really understand it, plus the two other nurses who ever read the Challenge stuff. So I'll have to be more creative. :roll:

Night, all. Pray I get called in! After one, though. Then my standby counts. :mrgreen:

Sparrow

Postby Sparrow » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:49 am

HOLLY!! Glad to see you back! Sorry things have been so crazy busy for you. Thanks for popping in and for the cute pictures. :)

Leah, thanks for asking how we're doing. My sister finally saw her primary care doctor and she figured out the antibiotic for the c-dif was what was making her throw up. So they switched to a different antibiotic and she started improving right away. She's still really weak and having to be careful what kinds of things she eats, but doing much better.

I'm still tired and sleeping a lot but still way tired. Doesn't help that things have been particularly noisy lately, so that messes up my morning sleep. But otherwise I'm okay. I'm actually trying to write a challenge story.

And Leah, love the darling picture! I miss snuggling babies... Haven't been able to for a long time. I don't get much chance now, and with my shoulder injury can't really handle it anyway. Speaking of your own family... was that a hint that you might be starting a family soon?? ;)

I'd been hoping to spend most of my break writing, but instead I spent the first half sick and the second half on a freelance formatting job and judging the FW kids' contest. And now work starts up again this week, though I don't have my schedule yet, so I guess I'm not working tomorrow... Seems kinda like the universe is against me writing the last year, but I'm not giving up.

Rebecky wrote:I admit it, I have horns. How else will my halo stay up?
... I also got somethings for free, including the complete sherlock holmes books. :mrgreen:

:heehee

As for Sherlock Holmes, I have the complete volumes in hardback and have read them all, most several times. I'm LOVING the BBC Sherlock TV show. They are one of the first shows I've seen that actually can improve upon the story. They don't make them better exactly, but the changes to match the current time period and such really work quite well and are clever.
Amy Michelle Wiley
Check out my booklet, Bring Your Writing to Life: a writer's guide to "show; don't tell". Buy it here.
My Website, Sparrow's Flight

PreviousNext

Return to The Water Cooler