To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Southern Porch Extension

A place for general chat (non-writing related). Please keep political discussions to the relevant neighborhood forum.

Moderators: cori67, RedBaron, Shann

Joanney
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: Southern Porch Extension

Postby Joanney » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:33 pm

Since I was on the list of MIA, I should post and let you all know that I am alive and well and have survived the holidays. My December in general was a whirlwind; the busyness of working an extra job that ended up almost full-time instead of only a few nights a week, along with my two regular part-time jobs with the school district; and finishing the semester at school, and preparing for the holidays, plus just not always feeling well (mostly the result of anemia). Also, I had about $1100 in van repairs in December. The church paid for $500 of it for me, and the rest needs to come out of yesterday's paycheck. It needed a new head casket and a new radiator.

My real break for the holiday was this last weekend. I worked for the before and after school program on Dec 26 and 27, and for Toys R Us until 7 AM on Christmas Eve, so this was my only real break. We went to Iowa for Christmas and I had a great time with my sisters and their families (and my brother Chris and his son.) We did white elephant gifts -- only things you already had in your house and nothing bought new. I got some of my niece's old scrapbooking supplies. This after spending a few hours in my sister's craft room the night before cutting out die cuts to use towards making cards.

Well, Greg wants a haircut before his dad gets here to pick them up, so gotta go.
ImageImage

"We are not sinners because we sin, we sin because we are sinners."

You have wearied the LORD with your words.
“How have we wearied him?” you ask.
By saying, “All who do evil are good in the eyes of the LORD, and he is pleased with them” or “Where is the God of justice?”

Malachi 2:17

Laurie

Postby Laurie » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:41 pm

Edy, thanks for your kind words.

Allison, I look forward to hearing about Urbana. Sounds like it was a wonderful experience. How did you manage with your hip?

Joanney, nice to see you check in. I hope all of those extra work hours are giving you a financial boost - though I realize the van repairs were a pretty hefty unexpected expense. How is it going with your tenant? When will you have your surgery?

Carol e-mailed to say she wasn't able to log in to the porch, but she wanted you to know she's really sorry to hear so many are going through so many difficulties and she's praying for everyone.

Carole L

Postby Carole L » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:01 am

Good morning all.

We've been enjoying our visit to Texas. Spent the first several days with the grands and now are back in Austin with good friends. Had a fun New Years eve with the Empty Nesters group we hung with when we lived here. Bill has been busy helping our friend do some work on his house. They are putting shelves in the garage, so it can be organized. They would like to actually be able to put the car in the garage, what a concept! Now that Jo is a little more mobile (out of her wheel chair and using a walker) they want her to be able to get in and out of the car while avoiding the weather.

We will be heading home tomorrow. We are wondering what we will find when we get there. We dug out of the snow and left. As far as we know, our house never lost power, tho most of our neighborhood did. There were over 200,000 without power due to the heavy snow and ice. It came down so fast that it broke tree limbs and downed power lines everywhere. In fact, it took us 20 minutes to make it three blocks out of our neighborhood--even tho we can see the main street from our house--because we had to zig-zag around downed lines and branches. There was hardly a house that we drove past that didn't have tree branches, or even whole trees, lying in the yard.

It will be good to get home, my hips miss my bed. We have one of those beds that "adjust" hospital style, plus the mattress has a temperpedic top. My hips don't like hard mattresses. But I am thankful for the guest beds, regardless of the hardness, because they allow us to visit family and friends.

Wishing everybody a blessed New Year!
Carole

Proud to be a 500 member.
I don't know the master plan, but I know the Master has a plan.

http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=34113

Verna

Postby Verna » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:31 pm

So good to hear from my friends. I feel like I'm coming out of a tunnel, after having spent hours and hours, working at editing for a friend's business. This doesn't pay as much as subbing, but I don't have to leave home or make anyone behave! (although where I sub, the students are remarkably kind most of the time.)

Mariane, I'm sorry for the turmoil you went through. I knew something was wrong and have prayed for you. Wasn't it good to know though, when you were concerned about a possible imminent death, your only concerns were earthly ones; your home in heaven is secure. Bless you, my friend!
I know how frightened John must have been.

Don, I'm sorry for your stressful days, and I can easily see how your nerves might get the best of you. And I must admit--sometimes when Leon says, "I heard you talking in there; where you on the phone," I just tell him I was talking to me!

Edy, thank you for the recipe and the smile. I can just see your pretty fingernails!

Joanney, I hope this will be a specially good year for you--it's time!

Allison, I'm so glad you had a grand time at Urbana. It's great to have your "spiritual batteries" recharged.

Carole, I'm glad you had a good Christmas, and I understand completely about how good it is to get back to your own "nest" and your own bed.

Laurie, may God send you unanticipated special blessings for this New Year, with only the best memories of your dad to warm you.

Carol, I'm praying this will be a better year, physically, for you, and you'll grow stronger physically and more able to enjoy your family.

We, too, missed the ball drop at 12:00 to usher in the New Year, but it came in just fine, anyway. We are excitedly looking forward to a new baby girl and baby boy from our granddaughters in March to make this a bright year.
Verna

A merry heart doeth good like a medicine...
Proverb 17:22

Facebook author page: Verna Cole Mitchell
http://www.magnificomanuscripts.com/

forHIM

Postby forHIM » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:08 pm

Hello to all and yes . . . I too have been MIA . . . about two weeks before Christmas I feel and fractured a small bone in my lower back . . . it was very painful and sitting or bending over is a real killer . . . so I have not been too active anywhere.

I haven't even been to the porch to see what you all have been up to for over a month. So I haven't a clue how any of you are doing :sorry but, I do have most of you on my continue to pray for list. :D

I am keeping busy with my writing and got a Kindle Paper White for my birthday and have been doing a lot of reading. Other than that it's cold and dark here in my neck of the woods. :brrr

Hopefully in the next week or so I will be all mended up and resume a more normal life . . . whatever that is . . . until then you be good to each other! :wink:

Love and hugs
When God calls me to account, what will I answer Him? Job 31:14

http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=29757

gwenllian
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Postby gwenllian » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:42 pm

Hi Porch People!
Is my rocker still available?

I've been catching up, reading the last few pages that I've missed in the past few weeks and I'm very dismayed and saddened to see how many of you have been suffering such hardships over the Christmas season. I pray that our Lord will reach down His healing hand and touch everyone where it's needed, in body, mind and spirit. Amen.

Dear Don, I don't know your situation as well as most, thanks for the explanation about Carol. May God continue to strengthen and guide you. My heart goes out to you. May God bless and comfort you both.

Mariane, what a miserable way to spend Christmas day! I pray that the Lord will compensate you with many days of contentment throughout 2013! Starting now! I was also tying up loose ends towards the end of the year because of a series of heart attacks that threatened to carry me off; however I'm still here!

Allison, I hope you've recovered somewhat from your fall and that the pain has eased up by now. There's nothing quite as debilitating as a painful back, it seems to inhibit just about everything you try to do! Take it easy and give it a chance to heal up properly.

Laurie, I can imagine how you feel about your Dad - I cried for months after my Dad passed on. Thank God the grief does ease in time, then the memories become comfort instead of pain.

To everyone who worked so hard over the Christmas / New Year season, I hope you're able to have a bit of a rest before being hurled into the new year!

To everyone on the Porch - May the Lord bless and prosper you in every way in 2013!

Much love,
Gwen

Allison

Postby Allison » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:35 pm

Actually, my problem has been hip pain, and I'm having hip replacement surgery on Feb. 13th.
Isaiah 40:30-31 (NIV)

Ms. Barbie

Postby Ms. Barbie » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:15 pm

Wow Allison, I did not know that you actually had a surgery date planned! I pray it goes well and you have a rapid recovery!
Barb Culler

gwenllian
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Postby gwenllian » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:08 pm

So sorry, Allison! It's Debbie who fell and hurt her back. I naturally read about your hip op too, but got mixed up while I was writing.

I've heard about a number of people who have had hip replacements, and they say their lives have improved tremendously after the operation. The Queen Mother had both done, and continued mobile for nearly 100 yrs! Good Heavens!

I pray that your procedure will go smoothly and your recovery will be speedy and complete.
Sorry again about the slip-up.

Allison

Postby Allison » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:49 pm

gwenllian wrote:So sorry, Allison! It's Debbie who fell and hurt her back. I naturally read about your hip op too, but got mixed up while I was writing.

I've heard about a number of people who have had hip replacements, and they say their lives have improved tremendously after the operation. The Queen Mother had both done, and continued mobile for nearly 100 yrs! Good Heavens!

I pray that your procedure will go smoothly and your recovery will be speedy and complete.
Sorry again about the slip-up.

Oh, no apology needed. Just wanted to clarify. That's all.
Isaiah 40:30-31 (NIV)

Verna

Postby Verna » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:15 pm

Allison, your youth is definitely in your favor. Our son had hip replacement surgery this previous year, and he got along very, very well. I pray you will, too.

Hi Gwen--always welcome!
Verna

A merry heart doeth good like a medicine...
Proverb 17:22

Facebook author page: Verna Cole Mitchell
http://www.magnificomanuscripts.com/

Edy

Postby Edy » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:29 pm

Allison, as a former orthopedic nurse, I have to tell you about one of my patients. She never took a single pain med after her hip replacement! I kept asking her if she couldn't use something for pain. She continued to reply that no she didn't need it. Incredulous, I asked her, "Aren't you having any pain?" To which she responded, "Oh, yes, but no where near as bad as the arthritis pain I had before surgery!"

She was a one in a million sweetheart! A lovely Norwegian-heritage lady who informed me that the reason Scandinavians got arthritis was because they ate too much white food - lutefisk, lefse, rommegrot, etc! :lol:
"Jesus Never Fails!" Love, Edy
The Gospel is such Good News even Christians don't believe it!
The Power of Story
We are the third temple! Acts 7:48, 1 Peter 2:4-5
Essentially Lutheran
My StoriesMy Blog:The Prairie Nightingale

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:51 am

My oldest sister was 80 when she had her hip replaced. She was a good patient, did everything the doctor recommended, faithfully attended each physical therapy session and got along wonderfully. Every year there are improvements to the procedure and I'll be praying along with the others that you heal quickly with no problems whatsoever.

God didn't ask for my suggestions when He created our very complex bodies but if He had, I would have recommended that He leave printed instructions in a handy little pouch attached to our umbilical cord at birth. This would permit us to easily remove the worn-out part at home, have a family member seal it in a germ-free Ziplock bag and deliver it to the surgeon who could repair it the same day and have it returned to us for easy reinstallation.

I guess it's too late to make that suggestion.
:(
Last edited by BeachGrandma on Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"I long, O I long to be holy, conformed to His will and His Word.
I long to be gentle and Christ-like; I long to be just like my Lord."

Mariane Holbrook

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:28 am

P.S. to Edy: Is "rommegrot" related in any way to "rotgut?"

On another subject, have you given any thought to getting a flu shot? Take a look at this:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... worse.html
Last edited by BeachGrandma on Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"I long, O I long to be holy, conformed to His will and His Word.
I long to be gentle and Christ-like; I long to be just like my Lord."

Mariane Holbrook

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:57 am

I mentioned about 18 months ago that I had found a different church after 30 years of worship in the previous one. The reasons for leaving the previous church are much too extensive to list here, but generally, in recent years they had begun to chase after the popular "seeker/social gospel"...they had begun to ignore Israel's significance in these last days...and the "Kingdom Now/Dominionism" heresy was being subtly introduced. The "saving gospel" had taken a back seat and was minumized. During the past 10 years that church slowly changed from a conservative gospel preaching church into one preaching things itching ears wanted to hear. Those reasons and more were why I had to separate from them (2 Corinthians 6:17 NKJV; Isaiah 52:11 NKJV; Revelation 18:4 NKJV).

For 18 months I attended a new church that on the surface, seemed to be everything my previous church was lacking. However, they have serious internal problems that I only recently discovered. The Elders rule the church with an iron hand. The Pastor and congregation have little or no input about anything. Because of disagreement over his preaching style, the Elders forced the Pastor to resign 6 weeks ago. I liked the Pastor as did 60% - 70% of the congregation. He preached the Word of God as it should be preached, but the Elders wanted it done differently. During the past month at least 250 of the 400 member congregation left the church...a most serious split from which it will be difficult to recover.

I also left that church because I cannot embrace what is being done there. Therefore, I am in the process of finding a new one. I am now attending a church that so far seems to have great promise, but one cannot know for sure until some time has passed. In these days sound churches that preach the Truth of the Word are difficult to find, but a few of them are out there. Although there are no perfect churches, I pray the Lord will lead me to the one He has for me.

Don
John 14:6
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"
http://faithwriters.com/article-details.php?id=41225

http://faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=18654

"The Israel Connection"
http://theisraelconnection.blogspot.com/

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

PreviousNext

Return to The Water Cooler