To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Pacific Coast Rest-Stop

A place for general chat (non-writing related). Please keep political discussions to the relevant neighborhood forum.

Moderators: cori67, RedBaron, Shann

Allison
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: Pacific Coast Rest-Stop

Postby Allison » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:09 pm

I'm leaving in about 1 hour to run a couple of quick errands before Urbana! I probably won't be online much, if at all, during the conference. If I am online, it will just be a quick Facebook status update and/or to check e-mail. I'll be absent from the boards until Jan. 1st, for the most part. Again, I would specifically love prayers that my hip pain and mobility wouldn't keep me from participating fully, as well as the other requests I mentioned in the thread in the prayer requests section. I'm SSSSSOOOOOOOOOOOO excited!! :D
Isaiah 40:30-31 (NIV)

Shann

Postby Shann » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:28 pm

I'm praying Allison! Q was waylaid from the storm that hit the northeast dumping a bunch of snow (close to a foot) on us. He left at 7 am this morning and I pray he will have a safe journey and be able to get there to enjoy as much of the week as possible. It'll take a min of 13 hours to get there and they were originally going to leave at 3:30 YESTERDAY.
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

Allison

Postby Allison » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:32 pm

Shann wrote:I'm praying Allison! Q was waylaid from the storm that hit the northeast dumping a bunch of snow (close to a foot) on us. He left at 7 am this morning and I pray he will have a safe journey and be able to get there to enjoy as much of the week as possible. It'll take a min of 13 hours to get there and they were originally going to leave at 3:30 YESTERDAY.

Yikes! I'll be praying he makes it!
Isaiah 40:30-31 (NIV)

JesusPuppy

Postby JesusPuppy » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:36 am

Praying for you Shortstuff. Have fun and be blessed. Oh ya.. did you remember a camera? What's a conference without pictures. :mrgreen:

Shann, sound rough for travel, will keep Q in mind for safe travel as well. Be sure to let us know when you hear from him.
....JesusPuppy (or just call me Pup) Image

And just for the record, I am a Male.

"I am a writer, I do NOT lie... I fictionalise." JP

"The Lord Bless thee, and keep thee.." Num. 6:24

JesusPuppy Profile

Cypress Times, online Christian news paper.

Shann

Postby Shann » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:03 pm

Thanks everyone. Q made it there last night and because we forgot that St. Louis is in the Central Time Sone, he wasn't as late as they originally thought. I spoke to him about 9 our time and they had checked into hotel and were on the way to conference. The best part is during the 14 hour ride he didn't kill the girl who is making money on the deal. She offered to take the van and drive but they would all need to pay a maintenance fee of $50 each (7 people) and a gas fee of $110 each! Again for each one of the 7 people. He was quite annoyed. But he is at the conference safe and sound and that's all that matters then on the first he is flying back to NC
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

JesusPuppy

Postby JesusPuppy » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:40 pm

Wow... I should buy a van. :shock:

Then I could rob people too. :lol:

They could have saved money and just rented a U-Haul and stuck everyone in the back. :mrgreen:

JesusPuppy Profile

Shann

Postby Shann » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:18 pm

Tell me about it. Then when the storm started up, Q suggested they leave a few hours before it was supposed to hit and start driving, if the weather got too bad they could get a hotel room. Her answer was she couldn't afford the money to split a couple of hotel rooms 7 ways! I thought Q was going to lose it on that one! I'm sure with him fuming like he was it probably wasn't the most pleasant 14 hour car trip in the world.
Shann

Shann's Profile

Rebecky

Postby Rebecky » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:57 pm

So my mom and I went grocery shopping right after she got home from work. We had to pick up soap and normally we buy the Dove bars. Well we were staring and staring at it and realized they had the Dove bars and the bottles in clear plastic lock boxes!

Go figure. We really wondered why and someone who works there said she wasn't sure but said maybe people have been stealing them. It was just odd and it kind of made me freak out a bit cause it made me think something "bad" is in it or that people can buy it and melt it down and use it to make meth or something stupid.

Anyway... yeah. :redface2
Dum Spiro Spero

Shann

Postby Shann » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:59 am

The soap (not the Dove ice cream bars) were in a locked case like the cigarettes or jewelry is? That is freaky. Now if it were the ice cream bars... :mrgreen:
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sparrow

Postby Sparrow » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:45 am

Well, sounds like everyone has had eventful days.

Barb, hope you're feeling better! I know how it is to not know if you're contagious or just your regular health stuff acting up. Either way, hope you are better now.

Hope Allison and shann's son are having a great time at Urbana!

Well, I was finally feeling well enough to go out to interpret Sunday, though I was so shaky and weak. Monday I slept all day but then felt better at the candlelight service.

Then I had my sleep study starting Tuesday night. They wanted me to go to sleep the time I'm most awake, and then woke me up when I usually sleep the best. :roll: They said I had to sleep a minimum of six hours total through the night, and I only managed 5 and a half, but they got permission from the dr to go ahead with the daytime study.

During the day every two hours they had me lay down and then a few minutes after I fell asleep then they made me get up again and try not to stay awake. It was almost like torture methods. :P I have an appointment with the sleep doctor to get the results on the 15th.

You know I got that flu from my sister? She's been just getting sicker, and finally they did a test and decided she had a C-Dif infection, and then she ended up in the ER last night. And from all the doctor visits then she picked up yet another bug and started throwing up and ended up in Urgent Care again today. They have her on antibiotics and anti-nausea meds, so hopefully will be better soon!
Amy Michelle Wiley
Check out my booklet, Bring Your Writing to Life: a writer's guide to "show; don't tell". Buy it here.
My Website, Sparrow's Flight

JesusPuppy

Postby JesusPuppy » Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:28 am

Which sister? :shock:

JesusPuppy Profile

Rebecky

Postby Rebecky » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:17 pm

Shann, yeah kind of. They were like clear rectangle boxes in the personal hygiene aisle and they're locked. You're supposed to just take the whole box in your cart and they unlock it at check out. We just bought some Jergen's soap instead, same amount of soap bars and cheaper.

I bet that's one way to make people stop buying as much. If its locked up they might be less likely to buy it.

Amy, That stinks about your sister. My Aunt had C-diff and suffered from it for years and lost tons of weight. I mean she looked anorexic. Now she's gain a lot of weight back and finally looks healthy!
Dum Spiro Spero

deejay

Postby deejay » Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:52 pm

On my way to the bus stop this morning, I ran into Melissa from next door, who took the kitten. I asked about her, and she said her name is Cashmere, and she's doing fantastic.

jaybird
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Postby jaybird » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:20 pm

We celebrated Christmas on the 23rd. Sis and hubby came over for roast and we exchanged gifts. I got Christian themed movies. One is Gracecard, awesome! Got a book, 2 shirts, Amazon cards; I already used 1 card and chose photo edit software and a Perry Stone book. Also, my Belgian penpal sent me Godiva chocolates. Mom took down the tree and put away decorations.

I saw The Hobbit in 3D yesterday. It was fantastic - cool graphics!

As usual, I'll sleep through the New Year's. Any resolutions? I don't really make any. If I do, it's to finish novel revisions.

Allison, I'm for you.

Pup, I'm going to start watching Dr. Who.
I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me. Philippians 4:13

"Why sweat the small stuff when it's really not a big stink" - my quote

http://www.journalhome.com/ThingsToShare/

violin4jesus

Postby violin4jesus » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:54 am

Sounds like everyone had a nice Christmas. Ours is still coming up in a couple days when we finally get to see family. I shipped my dad's present because I was afraid it wouldn't make it through the TSA screening, but the confirmation number they gave me said it was delivered to a post office in Sacramento...that's a long way from Seattle. So now I have to wait until Monday to call the USPS and figure out if they gave me the wrong number or if my package is indeed stuck in Sacramento. My mom said it hadn't arrived at their place and it was supposed to arrive Saturday or Monday. Praying it makes it through without too much more trouble. I love giving presents so I'll be really bummed if my dad's present isn't there when we're having "Christmas" with the family. We only bought for immediate family again this year. Considering all we spend for traveling up to see them, we can't spare much more.

Sorry to hear about your sister, Amy, and your crazy sleep study. I'm sure I would probably have some weird results if I did one...when I worked days, I did ridiculous tricks to get enough sleep at night. Even if I have several nights off in a row (like this next week) I still have tons of trouble sleeping. If I just don't sleep today then I just might swing it. I got about 3 hours plus this morning while on call, and woke up at 0530. I can potentially stay up and make myself tired enough to sleep "normal" this week.

Glad everyone's safe with all the snowstorms too. We've had "cold" weather (40s) and a few downpours. Will be packing for the real cold in Seattle (which is still not really cold like it is in Spokane). I love our mild weather here in S. Cali but it is supposed to be at least sunny in Seattle this week, which is the most beautiful place in the world when it's sunny. I didn't get many nice views of my mountain (Rainier) when we were there in August.

Deejay, love the story about the kitten! I know I said we might drive to Portland for the conference in June, but Ryan said he's thinking that it might be better if I just fly. Tickets are down right now - it's only $210 round trip, so I might do that instead. I still am pending approval from work, though. Hopefully they'll get back to me in a timely manner. I'm the first night shifter to ask for that week off, so chances are high, but the supervisor dragged her feet about approving this week and it wasn't even the original dates I asked for. One of our night charge nurses just took the supervisor position, though, and maybe she'll be doing the approvals instead.

Hope everyone has a safe and happy New Year. Enjoy the Lord's Day today as well. I think I actually might make it to church today! Blessings to all.

PreviousNext

Return to The Water Cooler