To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Southern Porch Extension

A place for general chat (non-writing related). Please keep political discussions to the relevant neighborhood forum.

Moderators: cori67, RedBaron, Shann

Allison
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: Southern Porch Extension

Postby Allison » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:03 am

So. Funny story about a banana. When my great grandmother came to the US from Germany, she had never seen a banana before. So when she got one for the first time she peeled the banana, threw away the banana and ate the peel! :lol:
Isaiah 40:30-31 (NIV)

Laurie

Postby Laurie » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:34 am

Are the Minnesotans getting a lot of snow today? We're to get 10" or more here. For all of the people in the world who whine about having a white Christmas, they'll get it. Frankly, I'd rather people had safe, non-delayed travel. 'Tis the season for cold, pain, accidents, inconvenience, and mounting dollar signs (to clear the snow). Like I said, I listened patiently to people everywhere complain about the heat all summer. Now it's my turn. ;) I hate winter!!!

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:36 pm

So...what plans does everyone have for Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, etc.???

Don
John 14:6
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"
http://faithwriters.com/article-details.php?id=41225

http://faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=18654

"The Israel Connection"
http://theisraelconnection.blogspot.com/

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

Laurie

Postby Laurie » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:17 pm

What are your plans, Don?

No plans for Dec. 24. I'll spend time with my mom on Dec. 25 (grateful for time with her). Then the family will get together on Dec. 29 (and family gatherings are always uncomfortable for me) for our first Christmas without my dad. :( Three days after, Jan. 1, I'll face my dad's first birthday since his death. :( It won't be long and I'll have these tough days behind me.

I hope my porch pals can enjoy Christmas, and it will be nice to read about everyone's plans.

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:00 pm

Well Laurie, judging from the lack of response to my question (it wasn't that difficult), it seems like you and I are the only ones willing to share our plans. Praying that your Christmas with family will be a blessed time for all.

Our Christmas Eve and Christmas Day will mostly be here at home with our son, his wife, and our daughter for a short time on both days. On the 24th I will make a lite meal of sandwiches for us along with the cookies I baked. I will cook a larger meal for all on Christmas Day. We will have ham, scalloped potatoes, a veggie hot dish, a salad, blueberry muffins, and tart lemon pie for dessert.

Our gift-giving is always kept to a minimum. The focus must be on the One who came to offer the greatest gift of all...the gift of eternal life to all who would believe.

I haven't shared about Carol for quite a while and nobody has asked, but she is not doing very well. To give you some idea, about 10 days ago she told me she didn't think she would make it until Christmas. She is suffering both physically and mentally in many ways. I know the Lord is in control, but that was painful to hear from her.

May God bless all of you!

Don
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

Laurie

Postby Laurie » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:43 pm

Don, I've been wondering how Carol is doing. Thanks for letting us know. I'm just so sorry she's feeling this badly, though. I can believe those words were incredibly hard to hear. :( Hugs to you, Don. I can't imagine how sad you must feel sometimes as you see her suffer so much.

I agree on keeping the gifts in perspective, or even not having any at all. Last year, my folks didn't want anything - just our help with some things this year (little did we know how much we'd be helping) - and instead of buying gifts for us, they gave us some of their own things. My mom asked that each of us make a list of things that had sentimental value to us that we would like to have. It was the best Christmas we ever had. Usually, when you get those items, it's after someone is gone. So it was nice that both of my folks were there to see how much some of their things meant to us. I got a few dishes and a nice ceramic open book with the serenity prayer on it. And from my dad, I asked for a scroll saw blade, used sandpaper, a stubby pencil, some sawdust, a shotgun shell and a turkey feather. He couldn't believe what I wanted. ;) My mom also included personal notes with all of the items. This year she will give money. There are so many to buy for, and it's just hard.

Little did we know that we would lose my dad just two months later. It's been so hard. I still cry every day. :(

Edy

Postby Edy » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:17 am

The last time I had a flu shot, I was sick all of Advent (I've refused them ever since). That year I realized I could either fret over all that I wasn't able to do, or just relax and enjoy everything everyone else was doing to make the season bright. Even though I didn't feel good, it was such a relaxing experience!

For several years, now, our pattern has been to attend the Candlelight Service at our St. Paul's at 4:30 p.m. This year I'm one of those sharing a reflection from the scripture passages covering Jesus' birth. Our theme is Joy, and I get to bring the joy of the angels! It was fun trying to imagine what it must have been like to be chosen to bring the most wonderful message, to start the ball rolling down through the ages to our day, bringing Christ to the nations.

Then, we join the Christmas Eve gathering at daughter Lonnie's house. Since so many of the "little ones" have grown so tall, the atmosphere isn't quite the same as it was when the children were really little (we still have three that are small, so they are the center of attention!). Sigh! I'm so partial to children! The Johnson tradition is to have pizza for Christmas Eve supper (not lutefisk, which I used to fix for my dad, along with other regular Scandinavian smorgasbord fare)! It is accompanied by Edy's famous fudge and other sweet snacks, like varieties of cookies. This is followed by reading the Christmas story from Luke and opening gifts.

Christmas Day, my "baby" sister, Naomi, likes us to join my side of the family at their house. Her bountiful buffet is more my heritage (than pizza!) 8) - and we add what we like to contribute to the table (in addition to fudge, I make julekaga, when I'm up to it). Of course, we have to have a round or two of Scrabble to remind us we're all still children at heart. And, the Thompsons enjoy singing together (the Johnsons not so much), so we have to sing (and play) carols. Reminds me of those glorious two weeks off from school for Christmas vacation when we were kids, glad to be snowbound indoors with our games and goodies after all the Christmas programs were finished. I am so very grateful for all the Lord has poured out in blessings for us. And, to think that God has even more to celebrate together when He calls us all home to His banquet table! 8)
"Jesus Never Fails!" Love, Edy
The Gospel is such Good News even Christians don't believe it!
The Power of Story
We are the third temple! Acts 7:48, 1 Peter 2:4-5
Essentially Lutheran
My StoriesMy Blog:The Prairie Nightingale

deejay

Postby deejay » Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:23 pm

Some of my roomies wil be here and there. Kristina is dogsitting for a friend until Christmas, C.J. and Diane will be here Christmas Eve but at Diane's sister's place Christmas Day; me, Becky (who'll be roasting the turkey we got from next door) and Cookie will be home. Yesterday I put aside my dislike for Petco--I prefer Petsmart, but the two nearest to me are hard to get to by bus--and bought an exercise ball for Diane's pet rat Chestnut--which I signed as "Ratty Claws". It's under the tree now; there are presents there, and the other day I managed to see that they are for Diane's family. Yesterday I saw where Becky had added her gifts. I got a $50 Christmas bonus from work--half of last year's, but I understand that because we've had some members move away and the church just bought a new copier/printer, I'm not complaining.

Green Leaves

Postby Green Leaves » Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:21 pm

Don, I'm so sorry to hear of Carol's decline. My heart goes out to both of you.

Please don't think that because I post less that I don't care. Not sure exactly what is happening with me, but seem to have less and less physical energy. And my life would definitely not be exciting for anyone but love to hear from the rest of you.

We are with family, and in fact, had our family Christmas last night including a reading of the real Christmas story. With all our children and grandchildren, we had 17. It was moving to see all huddled together in acknowledging the real reason for the season. And also the gift God has given us as a close, loving family. There were tears as we recognized the blessing God has given us in so many ways and shed some tears for those who are missing loved ones this season.

I pray each of you will experience God's loving presence this Christmas .
http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=45576

"God has not called me to be successful, God has called me to be faithful." Mother Teresa

"...not to advance in the spiritual life is to go back. But those who have the gale of the Holy Spirit go forward even in sleep.". Brother Lawrence

Verna

Postby Verna » Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:30 pm

Good evening to you all. I've been buried with editing projects and getting ready for Christmas. Today we went to my son's house--several hours away and had a Christmas brunch and opened presents with him and his wife and her parents, along with our two granddaughters--both expecting babies in March --and their husbands. My girls are really "blossoming!" We'll go to church tomorrow for a Christmas message and back on Monday for the early service of our Christmas Eve service. That's always so inspirational. Then Christmas day our daughter and husband and younger son will be here for Christmas.

Laurie, I've had carpal tunnel surgeries in both wrists, and it made a great deal of difference. And I hope you can get your car fixed for less. I pray your family time will be pleasant.

Don, my heart breaks with you for Carol's announcement. I had wondered how she was doing. I hope your Christmas will be blessed with God's presence, in spite of her weakened condition.

Edy, I like how you contribute to your church's activities. I am blessed with the privilege of writing a couple of devotionals for our church's web site and editing the others that come out weekly.

Marianne, you always have something to make me smile. May God grant you and John an extra blessing with those sweet grandsons this Christmas. Children do make the season fun with their innocence and their joy.

Blessings wished here for all porch pals!
Verna

A merry heart doeth good like a medicine...
Proverb 17:22

Facebook author page: Verna Cole Mitchell
http://www.magnificomanuscripts.com/

Allison

Postby Allison » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:01 am

I posted about this in the Prayer Request section, but since I've been more active on "the porch" lately and I know some of you don't venture very far from the porch (those rocking chairs are pretty comfortable...) I thought I'd post here too. Hope you don't mind that I'm posting this in more than one place. :)

I'll be attending the Urbana 2012 conference in St. Louis, Dec. 27 to 31 (and into Jan. 1st). Shann's son, Quinten, is attending also. Urbana is a conference held every three years, hosted by InterVaristy Christian Fellowship, a college campus ministry. I posted more about the conference in the Prayer Request thread, here viewtopic.php?f=6&t=36305

In additions to prayers for the conference in general, I'd personally like specific prayer, that my hip pain and mobility would not keep me from fully participating in Urbana. I'm considering buying or borrowing a folding cane if I need one, but I'd obviously rather not use one.
Last edited by Allison on Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Isaiah 40:30-31 (NIV)

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:14 am

Wishing all of you and yours a most blessed, Christ-centered Christmas!!!

Thank You, Father, for sending Your Son to us that all who believe might receive Your free gift of salvation. I pray that many would seek Your face during this special time and discover the true meaning of Christmas. Although much of the world is celebrating the season, we are celebrating and honoring Jesus, the One who came here in human flesh to seek and save the lost. We love You, Lord, and look forward to that great day when Jesus will return to call His own to dwell with Him forever. Happy birthday, Jesus! It is in Your Name that I pray. Amen!

:superhappy

Don

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

Edy

Postby Edy » Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:44 pm

Dorothy, my friend since second grade, included the following in her Christmas letter. I do remember the recitation (are children doing memory work like this nowdays?), and it brought back such a flood of memories of Christmas on the prairie of North Dakota that it made me weep.

Enjoy! 8)

In closing, I would like to share a Christmas Message that I recited at a Sunday School Program when I was about 7-8 years old. It goes like this......

HIS NAME IS AT THE TOP

I had the nicest Christmas List, the longest one in town.
Till Daddy looked at it and said, "You'll have to cut it down."

I knew that what he said was true, beyond the faintest doubt,
But was amazed to hear him say, "You've left your best friend out."

And so, I scanned my list again and said, "Oh, that's not true!"
But Daddy said, "His name's not there, that friend that died for you."

And then, I clearly understood, 'Twas Jesus that he meant.
For Him who should come first of all, I hadn't spent a cent.

I'd made a Christmas Birthday List and left the Savior out!
But, Oh! It didn't take me long to change that list about.

And though I've had to drop some names of folks I like a lot,
Dear Jesus must have the most because, His Name is at the Top!

:birthday to Jesus! And "God bless us everyone!" with a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
"Jesus Never Fails!" Love, Edy
The Gospel is such Good News even Christians don't believe it!
The Power of Story
We are the third temple! Acts 7:48, 1 Peter 2:4-5
Essentially Lutheran
My StoriesMy Blog:The Prairie Nightingale

Laurie

Postby Laurie » Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:26 pm

Praying for you, Allison. Feel free to post a prayer request anytime. Oh, and just a tip -we like to post prayer requests in red so no one misses them. Some of us post in different colors (because when we changed to this message board, posting in colors made it easier for some of the porch dwellers to read and differentiate one post from another), but we've reserved the color red for prayer requests. :) I look forward to hearing about Urbana. And is it next year you will have surgery on your hip?

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:39 pm

I love reading of your Christmas plans! I hope they all turn out as well as you hope and give you lasting memories.

I spent this morning getting a CT scan so I won't ruin your Christmas with details. On January 7th I'll have one of those lovely procedures where they jam a firehose down your throat and try to choke you to death. I am praying fervently for Jesus to come back before then.

I have tons of stuff from the grocery store to make cookies, fudge, pies, cakes, etc but haven't made a thing yet. Our son Johnny and his wife Susan will be here for a couple of days after Christmas so I'm going to con her into baking some things for us. I did order some Christmas candy from Williams Sonoma and Crate and Barrel so that will get us through the holidays if nothing else does.

Our boys are at their mother's but will be here Christmas afternoon for the rest of their vacation.

Tim is playing his guitar and singing at the Christmas service tonight and I want so much to go. I can't tell you how much God is doing in his life. I had been praying specifically for a good male friend for Tim for months and God provided wonderfully. He is a devout Christian, a woodworker with his own professional shop, who attends Tim's church. Tim is working part time for him, making furniture, but also designing and making the most beautiful guitars you ever saw! He just sold one for $2800. He's so meticulous in his work. The church will add hours to his work schedule for them after Christmas, too, so things are looking good. He and his fiance broke up and I guess it's a good thing. She wanted so much more from him that he was able to give and was disturbed that he spends so much free time with his boys. When she found out he would be working every Sunday at the church planning the services, leaving less time for him to drive to Atlanta to see her, she said that if she couldn't be everything to Tim, she didn't want to be anything. I'm so glad they settled this before they were married rather than after.

Merry Christmas to all of you on the Porch! Please keep me in your prayers. I need a healing touch from the Lord.

:christmas2 :loveyou :christmas2 :loveyou :christmas2 :loveyou :christmas2 :loveyou :christmas2 :loveyou :christmas2 :loveyou
"I long, O I long to be holy, conformed to His will and His Word.
I long to be gentle and Christ-like; I long to be just like my Lord."

Mariane Holbrook

PreviousNext

Return to The Water Cooler