Volunteers Needed - New Judges for 2008

All the facts about the Challenge and special announcements from the Coordinator.

Moderators: RedBaron, itsjoanne, RedBaron, itsjoanne, RedBaron, itsjoanne

Deb Porter
FaithWriters and Site Admin

Volunteers Needed - New Judges for 2008

Post by Deb Porter »

Hi everyone.

With 2007 nearing an end, and with just two topics left in this quarter's Challenge (as I write), it's time to start recruiting some new volunteers to act as judges in the first quarter of the Writing Challenge for 2008. If you are already a judge, don't respond here (although you can certainly encourage people to have a go). I'll be contacting all the current judges very soon about next quarter availability.

But, if you have never judged, or perhaps haven't done it for quite a while, I would like to encourage you to give it a go. There are just a couple of things to make you eligible for the job:

1. You must love to read and love the Challenge.

2. You must either be an Editors' Choice winner (at some point in the history of the Challenge), OR have placed twice in Level 3 at some point (this includes "Highly Commended").

Judges are only rostered on for one week in the quarter, and they are given plenty of information to help them get started. Also, we have a system in place that makes the job easier than you may imagine.

If you think you would like to give this a go, please send me an email or PM.

I will need to know if you have Excel, MS Works, or even "Open Office" on your computer. It isn't absolutely vital, but it will make your job a lot easier. You can act as a judge just using a print off sheet (Word, or PDF); however, it means you would need to use a calculator to work out your final scores for each entry.

If you don't have Excel, MS Works or Open Office, can I recommend that you download the free Open Office system? It is almost identical to MS Office, and includes a spreadsheet program that is very similar to Excel. I have a Judges' rating sheet available for Open Office, so it is worth trying. Here is the link to download the program. It is definitely worth having if you don't have MS Office. A few judges do use this, and it is definitely much better than having to work everything out manually (and it's completely free):

http://www.openoffice.org/

The only reason I need to know which program you are using is so I know which rating sheet file to send you.

If you are willing to volunteer, I will also need to know if there are any weeks during the period 3rd January to 16th March that would be difficult for you.

Once I hear from you, I will send you a whole lot of information about judging to help you get started. You can even have a little practice beforehand.

I really do encourage anyone who is eligible for this role to seriously consider giving back to FaithWriters in this way. I value the support of our volunteers enormously (hey, I'm one too, you know). The Challenge would come to a grinding halt if we didn't have the assistance of our very faithful and committed volunteer judges.

Hope to have you on the team.

Love, Deb
Last edited by Deb Porter on Sun May 11, 2008 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deb
FaithWriters' Writing Challenge Co-ordinator
Breath of Fresh Air Press

Breath of Fresh Air Press - a little publisher with a lot of heart

triumfunt
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

new judge

Post by triumfunt »

Deb,
I would love to give it a try. Please count me in. The first week in January or towards teh end of March would work for me. Hope I can help. Can't wait to see how the system works. Dianne Janak
I wish I had laughed more. I wish I had smiled more. I wish I had thought of others more. I wish I had been a better listener. There is NOW and that is all I have for sure..!
cdawson41
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Re: Volunteers Needed - New Judges for 2008

Post by cdawson41 »

Deb

Sorry I couldn't find the thread where we were discussing judges and the contest so this looked like the next best place to share my idea about the judges and the cost to FW for us to have them.

Before my accident I was the regional manager of 5 retail stores. I started a ran an advertising program in our community that I called the Shared Advertising program. With a few adjustments to that program I think it would work for FW.

So what we would do is contact publishing companies, editing companies etc. and ask them to be a volunteer judge for a quarter, longer if they wish. They would judge our stories an in return they would get to "advertise" here for free.

After the quarter is over a special thread could be set up where the judges get to introduce themselves and or the company they work for. That would give them the chance to tell us about them and what they have to offer and would give us a chance to ask them questions about their company.

It would be a win win for everyone because we would have our judges at no cost to FW and we would be able to talk to and ask questions directly to a "business" that we may one day want to do business with.

So, yea, that's my suggestion. No hard feelings if you think it won't work for us but I thought it was worth sharing the idea.
Cynthia

For I know the plans I have for you declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:11

Profile Page FaithWriters
http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=58736

My Web/Blog Page
http://cynthiad.weebly.com
Deb Porter

Post by Deb Porter »

Hi Cynthia.

I'll keep that in mind for a possibility if I can't find enough top notch volunteers in house. One concern about using a publishing house would be that they wouldn't be publishing the eventual book. So that wouldn't sit right with me. But the editor factor is a possibility.

Love, Deb
Deb

cdawson41
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by cdawson41 »

I was thinking about the publishers in the event an individual may want to use them at some time to publish their book not the FW book.
Cynthia

For I know the plans I have for you declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:11

Profile Page FaithWriters
http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=58736

My Web/Blog Page
http://cynthiad.weebly.com
Deb Porter

Post by Deb Porter »

I know what you meant, and it was a nice idea, but as the winners are going in a FaithWriters book it just doesn't feel right for me. In other words, I don't think I want publishers picking the material I'm going to publish (if that makes sense). :lol:

However, the editors idea is one worth considering. Good thinking.

Love, Deb
Deb

Colswann1
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)

Post by Colswann1 »

Sos - got my wires crossed! :)
Colin Swann

Jesus’ love is constant and never wavers.
Deb Porter

Post by Deb Porter »

Colswann1 wrote:Sos - got my wires crossed! :)

? Which wires?

(I would have thought this thread would have just about fallen off the edge of the boards by now. Definitely overdue for it).
Deb

Colswann1
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)

Post by Colswann1 »

Deb Porter wrote:? Which wires?
Gill's always telling me to read things properly.

But I wasn't applying to be a judge 5 years too late. :lol:
Colin Swann

Jesus’ love is constant and never wavers.
Deb Porter

Post by Deb Porter »

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. :lol:

Love, Deb
Deb

Return to “Rules, Ratings, Judges and Official Info”