To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Frustration with Private Messenger and cookies

Gain New Exposure and help support FaithWriters.com by becoming either a Platinum or Gold Member.

Moderators: mikeedwards, beaedwards

HeartSpeaks
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Frustration with Private Messenger and cookies

Postby HeartSpeaks » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:09 pm

It is very confusing to have two private messengers. I have navigating the system for 2 weeks now and I still don't know which is which or how to access each of them.

Today I got an email saying that I had a message, and the email said to log in twice. After my first log-in, it said I had no messages. After my forum log-in, it said I had one new message.

Is it possible to assign two different names to them so newbies like me don't get so frustrated they want their money back for the Platinum 500 membership? I looked all over the site for written directions on how to use private messenger or a video and couldn't find one.

Also, there is a distracting plug-in from xvidupdate.com that shouldn't be at the bottom of my page. How do I disable it? Does this have something to do with cookies?

HeartSpeaks

Shann

Re: Frustration with Private Messenger and cookies

Postby Shann » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:54 pm

Maybe this will help. If you log in on the main page where it says login up at the top of the panel in the middle. Inside that yellow box it will tell you you have blank messages. Now you can only access this PM if you are a gold, platinum member or if you pay to just have the private message.

After you login go to the forums and there you have to login again but in that selection there is a little box that allows you to automatically log in when you come to the boards. If you're not using a computer that others have access then I'd click that button.

When you receive an email to retrieve your messages, if you click on the first link in that email it will take you directly where you have a message.

You can come to the message boards without logging in to the main page and vice versa. After you log in on either place you should be able to see if you have new messages. The main page is the one with the big yellow box in the middle of the screen while the forum one shows up right under board index. It's in parentheses and tells you how many messages you have.

Also when you receive a message from FW that is from the message board the link provided will look like this with the word board in the blue ink. Like this (without the spaces)

http:// www.faithwriters.com/ Boards/phpBB2/ucp.php? i=

In the email the wording is different and it has the word forum in it and looks like this: You have received a new private message fromto your account on
"FaithWriters.com-Christian Writers Forum" with the following subject:

But as long as you just click on the first link in the message it will take you to the proper space where all you need to do to see the message is log on and then click on the big yellow box underneath the boxes for gold and platinum perks. In that box it will telly you how many messages you have. Once you click on it, then you'll be taken to a gray box where all you need to do is click on the view message spot. Even if you have 0 new messages by clicking on the line You have ____ messages it will take you into the gray box where you click on the line View messages.

I'm not sure if you've been using the link in the emails or not but if you haven't been then try it and it'll take you right to the correct page. Right now I'll try sending you a message for the message boards (I can't send you one from the Main PM with the yellow box unless I know your name.) So hopefully when you get the email to tell you you have a message it will take you to the log-in page for the forums, then I'd really encourage you to select the box that says this: Log me on automatically each visit (Again though don't check it if your access to the internet is a public place just to be safe)

I hope this helps some
As for the plug-in I'm not sure about that one.
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

Deb Porter
FaithWriters and Site Admin
FaithWriters and Site Admin

Re: Frustration with Private Messenger and cookies

Postby Deb Porter » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:33 pm

Nancy, when you get the email notification, doesn't it have a direct link to the right area?

If not, the email that has a link that shows phpBB2 in the link will be for the forums. The other is for FaithWriters itself.

The thing is that the forums are not actually a "part" of FaithWriters. They belong to FaithWriters, but they are separate, requiring different user names and passwords (although, of course, you can use the same one). That's just the way it works when you use a phpBB2 forum.

So if one private message says you have a possible writing opportunity or that someone has contacted you (not quite sure of the wording), that is usually from the main site. If it has phpBB2 in the URL, then it is here to the forums.

Just click on the link and you will be brought straight in.

Love, Deb
FaithWriters' Writing Challenge Co-ordinator

Breath of Fresh Air Press - a little publisher with a lot of heart

Return to Become a FaithWriters Platinum or Gold Member