To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Southern Porch Extension

A place for general chat (non-writing related). Please keep political discussions to the relevant neighborhood forum.

Moderators: cori67, RedBaron, Shann

ready2go
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: Southern Porch Extension

Postby ready2go » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:38 pm

Green Leaves wrote:I know it seems like all I do is ask for prayer but we got a call from Marty's brother in law, Floyd, today saying he had just been diagnosed with prostate cancer. We would appreciate your prayers for him.

Sorry to hear about that. Praying for effective treatment and recovery.

Don
John 14:6
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"
http://faithwriters.com/article-details.php?id=41225

http://faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=18654

"The Israel Connection"
http://theisraelconnection.blogspot.com/

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:56 am

Carol, I'm so sorry to hear about Floyd. I'll be praying for him, too. You're right about getting more and more illness reports. I guess life gets tougher as we get older and it's not a pretty picture some days. God be with him. What's the latest on Carissa?

Do any of you shop at Hobby Lobby? I was reading that this Christian business pays their employees well above minimum wage. $13.05 an hour! They are upset, and rightly so, that Obama wants them to pay their fair share for employee abortions. I hope they don't just throw in the towel and give up the family business. They're too valuable.

http://m.newsbusters.org/blogs/tom-blum ... g-retail-c

Must get to bed. Love you, each one!
:loveyou :loveyou :loveyou :loveyou :loveyou :loveyou
"O Jesus, Jesus, dearest Lord, forgive me if I say
For very love, thy sacred name, a thousand times a day.
O Jesus, Lord, with me abide; I rest in Thee whate'er betide.
Thy gracious smile is my reward. I love, I love Thee, Lord.

Mariane Holbrook

Green Leaves

Postby Green Leaves » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:58 am

I love Hobby Lobby! Not too long ago they, along with Wallbuilders, put a full page in the newspapers reminding everyone of the Judeo Christian values this country was founded on. It was awesome. I even wrote them and told them how much I appreciated that. It might have been around the time of the Chick Fil A Appreciation Day. I'm not sure. They also close the stores all day on Sundays so their employees can attend church.

Thank you for asking about Carissa. There is a ton of stuff going on and she really needs our prayers.

By the way, Floyd is the same BIL who just had treatment for melanoma in the eye.
http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=45576

"God has not called me to be successful, God has called me to be faithful." Mother Teresa

"...not to advance in the spiritual life is to go back. But those who have the gale of the Holy Spirit go forward even in sleep.". Brother Lawrence

Allison

Postby Allison » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:35 pm

Green Leaves wrote:I love Hobby Lobby! Not too long ago they, along with Wallbuilders, put a full page in the newspapers reminding everyone of the Judeo Christian values this country was founded on. It was awesome. I even wrote them and told them how much I appreciated that. It might have been around the time of the Chick Fil A Appreciation Day. I'm not sure. They also close the stores all day on Sundays so their employees can attend church.

Thank you for asking about Carissa. There is a ton of stuff going on and she really needs our prayers.

By the way, Floyd is the same BIL who just had treatment for melanoma in the eye.

Hobby Lobby also takes out a full page add every Christmas and Easter that gives the true meaning of the holiday, and it only has their name in very small letters at the bottom. So it's not a store advertisement. I love that, and now it's a tradition for me to look for the Hobby Lobby "ad" every Christmas and Easter. I think the one about the values our country was founded on was for 4th of July.
Isaiah 40:30-31 (NIV)

Green Leaves

Postby Green Leaves » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:00 pm

I didn't know that, Allison, but admire what they are doing. I bet you're right, it probably was for fourth of July. That makes sense. One of the things that impressed me as well was their name in small print, not drawing attention to themselves. These are the kind of stores I live to support.

"God has not called me to be successful, God has called me to be faithful." Mother Teresa

"...not to advance in the spiritual life is to go back. But those who have the gale of the Holy Spirit go forward even in sleep.". Brother Lawrence

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:38 pm

I've never shopped at Hobby Lobby. In fact, I don't think I have ever seen one. Are they a regional store?

Maybe I just don't get around as much as I should.

Don
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

Green Leaves

Postby Green Leaves » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:23 am

Not sure you would find a whole lot in that store for you, Don, it's mostly home decor and crafts. But they have some lovely things! I'm not sure how wide spread the chain is. You can go on their web site and enter your zip code to see the closest store to you.

Edy

Postby Edy » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:59 pm

AFter a lot of false trails, I found this link, Don:

http://www.hobbylobby.com/StoreLocator/ ... tance=9999

It appears the closest Hobby Lobby is in Mankato, MN.
"Jesus Never Fails!" Love, Edy
The Gospel is such Good News even Christians don't believe it!
The Power of Story
We are the third temple! Acts 7:48, 1 Peter 2:4-5
Essentially Lutheran
My StoriesMy Blog:The Prairie Nightingale

Laurie

Postby Laurie » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:07 pm

We've talked before about the worst part of having the health problems so many of us have here. And I can relate to what it's like when others don't understand. And it's hard to have your quality of life altered. But, FOR ME, the VERY WORST part, BY FAR, is having to work! For crying out loud, one of the reasons I'm in the shape I'm in is from working all of these years. I've spent thousands of dollars trying to treat things, but nothing worked. :(

I got my denial for disability today. I'll appeal it, but it will be about an 18 month wait for the appeal hearing. And then I could be denied again.

Yes, I'm still working with the DVR, and I'm currently working on a business plan. Sure, it's the "right" thing to do. But I don't know if I'll be able to work enough to support myself - which is why I applied for disability. I have so many limitations. I feel that trying to work is the absolute WRONG thing to do when it comes to my health. I guess I'll just beat my body into the ground, like I've been doing for years, until there's nothing left of me and I lose the limited abilities I have and the little quality of life I have left. What choice do I have? Fun times. :(

I realize this is a pretty negative post, but I'm just telling it like it is. :(

Allison

Postby Allison » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:38 pm

I'm sorry you have to work, but I'm glad you're at least able to work with DVR. I'm rather partial to VR. :lol: I hope it's been a positive experience for you!
Isaiah 40:30-31 (NIV)

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:36 am

Tiptoe-ing in, lurking along the sidelines, waiting for someone knowledgeable to whom I can ask,
"What is DVR?
"O Jesus, Jesus, dearest Lord, forgive me if I say
For very love, thy sacred name, a thousand times a day.
O Jesus, Lord, with me abide; I rest in Thee whate'er betide.
Thy gracious smile is my reward. I love, I love Thee, Lord.

Mariane Holbrook

Edy

Postby Edy » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:13 am

Don't feel bad, BeachGrandma. I am wondering the same thing. All I could come up with is Department of Vehicle Registration, but I'm sure I'm wrong. :oops:

Laurie, I'm so sorry for what you're going through. Years of work does wear a person down. If I had to return to a paying job, now, I know I wouldn't last very long. Volunteering from home is so much more manageable. Thank God I stuck out the army reserve long enough for a pension (we wouldn't have enough income to pay the taxes without it), exhausting as it was at the time with that and a regular civilian job.

Somewhere I heard that disability applications are routinely denied on the first try - so I'm glad you're appealing. Praying for definite signs of open and closed doors for you, as the Lord leads His dear children along.
"Jesus Never Fails!" Love, Edy
The Gospel is such Good News even Christians don't believe it!
The Power of Story
We are the third temple! Acts 7:48, 1 Peter 2:4-5
Essentially Lutheran
My StoriesMy Blog:The Prairie Nightingale

Laurie

Postby Laurie » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:15 am

I'm sorry. I think I've talked about the DVR before, but it's been a while. I should have been more clear. It stands for Division of Vocational Rehabilitation. It's a state program that helps people with physical limitations and disabilities to find ways to stay in the work force. So they have provided me with things like an ergonomic chair, a sit/stand computer desk (since sitting is so painful for me), and an anti-fatigue mat to stand on (since standing is also painful) while I'm standing at the computer. This equipment will help me be able to work at home (since I can't tolerate most environments given my allergies). They are also an advocate to help people get employment. They have contracted with someone else here in town to help me find work I can do in my home as an employee for local employers. We haven't had any success with that yet, though. So now they have contracted with someone to help me with a business plan and if that is approved, they will cover start-up expenses for the business. So they keep clients in the workforce and those clients are then able to put money back into the local economy and pay income taxes and provide increased revenue for the state.

Allison works for an agency like this in Missouri. She was actually the person who told me about this service. Thank you again, Allison! I'd never heard of it before. I'm fortunate to have a DVR office in my town (since sitting/driving is painful for me). It bothers my allergies to be in the building their office is in, of course, but I don't have to go in there very often. My situation is bad enough as it is. Without their help, I'd be in even worse shape.
Last edited by Laurie on Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:31 am

Edy wrote:

Somewhere I heard that disability applications are routinely denied on the first try - so I'm glad you're appealing.

That has been my understanding as well. It's probably standard government operating procedure.

I know nothing about disability applications, but from experience I do know that U.S. Patent applications are routinely rejected when first submitted. Over the years I applied for about 30 patents, and eventually received 22 of them after applying for each numerous times.

My 60 year old cousin (on my mother's side) will probably experience disability rejection also. With serious COPD and unable to physical work (he is a land surveyer in Arizona), he will have no choice but to file for disability. He has only worked on and off (mostly off) for the past 3-4 years. Jobs in his field are even scarce for active people.

Ron lives alone in his run-down house in the Phoenix area, he only has minimal insurance, he has run out of money, and has no place to turn. His three adult kids are big-time losers and have nothing. Up until a month or so ago he was on oxygen at night, but had to stop because he couldn't afford it. He has been hospitalized 3 times during the past year, and is there at this moment because one of his kids found him passed out in his house.

That whole branch of the family has met with difficult times over the years. His mother (my aunt) died of heart trouble in her 60's. His father also died of heart trouble in his 60's after a carreer in the Air Force. Years ago his younger brother died at age 20 in a car crash in Mexico while high in drugs. Years ago his youngest sister died at age 30 from heart trouble. Years ago his older sister crashed her new car while giving a ride to Ron's youngest son...killing him instantly. Today his older sister is now a vegetable in a wheel chair from a stroke suffered five years ago. His ex-wife divorced him years ago, and has been living with her boyfriend for several years.

I fear Ron won't be alive if he has to wait 18 months before he can appeal a disability rejection. I have had the opportunity to share the saving gospel with him several times during the past couple of years. There is no indication yet that it has taken root in his life. Ron's is very bitter and his heart is as hard as nails.

Don

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

Laurie

Postby Laurie » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:37 am

It sounds like Ron has really been through it in his life. I hope he's able to get disability on the first try. It does happen on occasion. For one thing, it will depend on how his doctors document things. There are so many things we tell our doctors that don't end up in our medical records that should be there. I even saw a doctor who specialized (he has since retired) in adult disabilities. He reviewed my medical records of my adult life and wrote a report based on his review stating that I'm completely, permanently disabled. At least they reviewed that report (in my denial letter, they state the records they reviewed). They didn't review my records from the allergy clinic (and my allergies prevent me from being in the workplace - have tried air purifiers and they aren't enough). What a crock.

I have an attorney who will help me with the appeal. Yes, he'll get a cut if I'm eventually approved. But having his help will increase my chances of getting it.

My life would be a thousand times better if I didn't have to work. I've sacrified my health for a paycheck all along. I have very little I can do in my life now. Goodness, I can't even sit and relax. What a way to live.

I'm 47, so I have a lot of working years ahead of me. Hard to imagine that I can work enough to "engage in substantial gainful employment". I'm just trying to stay off the fast track to financial ruin at this point. I'm sure the stress of having to work and trying to figure out how to trim an already bare bones budget is doing wonders for my health.

Well, it is what it is. I'm just stupid enough to get up every morning and keep trying.

PreviousNext

Return to The Water Cooler