To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Southern Porch Extension

A place for general chat (non-writing related). Please keep political discussions to the relevant neighborhood forum.

Moderators: cori67, RedBaron, Shann

ready2go
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: Southern Porch Extension

Postby ready2go » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:45 pm

Did I overhear Mariane say it was Debby's birthday today?

Well, all right then!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEBBY!!! (from someone who you're not as old as)

:music2 :party :party :birthday :party :party :music2

Don
John 14:6
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"
http://faithwriters.com/article-details.php?id=41225

http://faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=18654

"The Israel Connection"
http://theisraelconnection.blogspot.com/

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

Laurie

Postby Laurie » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:52 pm

Happy Birthday, Debby. :party

forHIM

Postby forHIM » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:21 am

Thank you for your Happy Birthday wishes. I enjoyed a quiet day and topped it off with family at our house for dinner and cake.

When my first grandson was about 3 he always want some of my coffee and I would tell him that when he was older and could drive we would have coffee at my house where we would sit and talk about all that was going on in his life. Well, today he made me two coffee mugs and said, "Remember Nana how you use to say we would have coffee together? Well these are for when I can drive over to visit you." My heart took about three extra special beats . . . My daughter and I started talking about it and we overheard my grandson say . . . "Yeah, I had to waste my Awana bucks on them." :lol: :lol: :lol: I told him that that made the cups even that more special to me!

I wrote this for me today and thought I would share it . . .

Today I’m turning the big Six-O,
some would say that it is nifty
but I say that it’s becoming
something that is all too . . . shifty!

What once was firm and taunt,
has been moving more southward
and what I once saw in 20-20
is now all fuzzy and blurred!

Where there was not even a hair,
has become an unsightly thing
who would have thought my age
a mustache and beard it would bring!

My arms now have flabby things,
if I flapped them I could fly
short shelves are a thing of the past
and if you saw them you'd know why!

My calves have tiny roads,
running up and down and side to side
my shins look like they are dented
and my ankles are a mile wide!

But what hasn’t changed in all the years,
is my heart and my love for the Lord
and though things may keep moving southward
each day my spirit . . . will be restored!

Amen and Amen
When God calls me to account, what will I answer Him? Job 31:14

http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=29757

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:55 pm

I recall an occasion when I argued with my Grandfather. I think I was about 6 or 7 years old at the time, but don't remember for sure.

My claim was that a one pound box of butter would weigh more than that same butter box filled with feathers. I said that when the box was filled with feathers, the box filled with butter would obviously weigh more. Therefore, a pound box of butter weighed more than the box stuffed with feathers...and a pound of something was not a pound of everything.

However, he claimed that if a pound of feathers were squeezed together enough to fit into the box, they would both weigh the same.

My simple young mind could not comprehend millions of feathers smashed together enough to fit into the one pound butter box. I was not convinced.

:rolling

By the way, my Grandfather was pretty smart. He only had a fourth grade education, but could add a column of four digit numbers in his head.

Don
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

Green Leaves

Postby Green Leaves » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:46 pm

Ohhhhhhh, I missed Debby's birthday! You know I love you and wish you God's very best. Happy Birthday!

We just got home from our weekend with our kids. It's always so wonderful to be together. Hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving.
http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=45576

"God has not called me to be successful, God has called me to be faithful." Mother Teresa

"...not to advance in the spiritual life is to go back. But those who have the gale of the Holy Spirit go forward even in sleep.". Brother Lawrence

Edy

Postby Edy » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:32 am

Happy 4th Day of Thanksgiving blessings, everyone! And, :birthday to YOU, Debby (Day 2).

We got back from our Iowa family-gathering Thanksgiving last evening. What a blessing to have those travels on dry roads - in years past we could have gone off the road on a bridge, driving through a snowstorm en route to Iowa with a van full of family! (BIL David at the wheel is a good driver and kept everything under control as we skidded through a half-U-turn that trip.)

I'm going to try to post a picture. We did a "family tree" with fingerpaints of most everyone at our Thanksgiving (found the idea on facebook) - little hands and bigger ones.

"Jesus Never Fails!" Love, Edy
The Gospel is such Good News even Christians don't believe it!
The Power of Story
We are the third temple! Acts 7:48, 1 Peter 2:4-5
Essentially Lutheran
My StoriesMy Blog:The Prairie Nightingale

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:04 pm

I saw something on the net today which left me visibly upset and angry at the same time. Take a look at this:

http://www.causes.com/causes/801608-cal ... ns/1703690

They should prosecute that soldier, give him a dishonorable discharge and strip him of every medal or honor he might have won before this horrible, and give him a lengthy jail sentence.

I can still hear that puppy's desperate cries......
"O Jesus, Jesus, dearest Lord, forgive me if I say
For very love, thy sacred name, a thousand times a day.
O Jesus, Lord, with me abide; I rest in Thee whate'er betide.
Thy gracious smile is my reward. I love, I love Thee, Lord.

Mariane Holbrook

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:01 pm

I would sentence him to death in a torture chamber. Death by firing squad would be too easy for him.

By the way, I love dogs!

Don

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

Verna

Postby Verna » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:25 pm

Debby--Happy Birthday--Late--but oh so loving!!!

We had a wonderful Thanksgiving dinner, just we two--a traditional feast prepared by "you know who."

Wonderful family times with siblings on Friday--children and granbchildren on Saturday--So thankful for every blessing--including my friends on the porch.
Verna

A merry heart doeth good like a medicine...
Proverb 17:22

Facebook author page: Verna Cole Mitchell
http://www.magnificomanuscripts.com/

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:17 am

Cute poem, Debby. I love your funny bone!

Have any of you read Lee Strobel's first fiction book, titled "The Ambition?" Described as "an unputdownable thriller" from the best-selling author of "The Case for Christ!"

"Drawing on his years as an investigative reporter for the Chicago Tribune, Strobel weaves a gripping insider's tale of power, politics, and payoffs set in a gleaming suburban megachurch, a big-city newspaper struggling for survival, and the shadowy corridors of political intrigue. 320 pages, hardcover from Zondervan. You can also get it at Amazon.com.

Here is an article about Lee Strobel in The Christian Post which is wonderful! http://www.christianpost.com/news/lee-s ... tor-85539/

Mariane Holbrook

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:02 am

Who knows? Might work!

Did you know that drinking two glasses of Gatorade can relieve headache pain almost immediately-without the unpleasant side effects caused by traditional pain relievers?

Did you know that Colgate Toothpaste makes an excellent salve for burns?

Before you head to the drugstore for a high-priced inhaler filled with mysterious chemicals, try chewing on a couple of curiously strong Altoids peppermints. They 'll clear up your stuffed nose.

Achy muscles from a bout of the flu? Mix 1 tablespoon horseradish in 1 cup of olive oil. Let the mixture sit for 30 minutes, then apply it as a massage oil for instant relief for aching muscles.

Sore throat? Just mix 1/4 cup of vinegar with 1/4 cup of honey and take 1 tablespoon six times a day. The vinegar kills the bacteria.

Cure urinary tract infections with Alka-Seltzer. Just dissolve two tablets in a glass of water and drink it at the onset of the symptoms. Alka-Seltzer begins eliminating urinary tract infections almost instantly-even though the product was never advertised for this use.

Honey remedy for skin blemishes... Cover the blemish with a dab of honey and place a Band-Aid over it. Honey kills the bacteria, keeps the skin sterile, and speeds healing. Works overnight.

Listerine therapy for toenail fungus: Get rid of unsightly toenail fungus by soaking your toes in Listerine Mouthwash. The powerful antiseptic leaves your toenails looking healthy again.

Easy eyeglass protection... To prevent the screws in eyeglasses from loosening, apply a small drop of Maybelline Crystal Clear Nail Polish to the threads of the screws before tightening them.

Cleaning liquid that doubles as bug killer... If menacing bees, wasps, hornets, or yellow jackets get in your home and you can 't find the insecticide, try a spray of Formula 409. Insects drop to the ground instantly.

Smart splinter remover: Just pour a drop of Elmer 's Glue-All over the splinter, let dry, and peel the dried glue off the skin. The splinter sticks to the dried glue.

Hunt 's Tomato Paste boil cure... Cover the boil with Hunt 's Tomato Paste as a compress. The acids from the tomatoes soothe the pain and bring the boil to a head.

Balm for broken blisters... To disinfect a broken blister, dab on a few drops of Listerine, a powerful antiseptic.

Vinegar to heal bruises... Soak a cotton ball in white vinegar and apply it to the bruise for 1 hour. The vinegar reduces the blueness and speeds up the healing process.

Quaker Oats for fast pain relief... it 's not for breakfast any more! Mix 2 cups of Quaker Oats and 1 cup of water in a bowl and warm in the microwave for 1 minute, cool slightly, and apply the mixture to your hands for soothing relief from arthritis pain.

Mariane Holbrook

Verna

Postby Verna » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:20 am

Thanks for ALL your information this morning, dear Mariane. I was just praying for you and hoping that they have found the source of your anemia and are able to help you. You know my husband was recently treated for anemia--and now he is off coumadin for good--after 17 years of being on it.
Sending special hugs to you!
Verna

A merry heart doeth good like a medicine...
Proverb 17:22

Facebook author page: Verna Cole Mitchell
http://www.magnificomanuscripts.com/

deejay

Postby deejay » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:16 pm

I've been buying and using Altoids as a mint--and stomach soother/antigas--since 1977. But they don't seem to open my nose. Last Sunday, I developed an itchy spot on my arm; usually they form a blister that I have to open to get relief, but no blister this time. Desperate to stop the itching, I grabbed the honey bottle off the table where we keep sugar/sweetner, creamer, teas, etc. by our cafe booth, and applied a drop of honey to the itch. Took a minute, but the itch stopped!

I have fingernail fungus on two of the fingernails of my left hand; do you think if something works for toenails, it would work for fingernails too?

Carole L

Postby Carole L » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:59 pm

This was posted on FaceBook, wanted to share it.

The following was written by Ben Stein and recited by him on CBS Sunday Morning Commentary.

My confession:

I am a Jew, and every single one of my ancestors was Jewish. And it does not bother me even a little bit when people call those beautiful lit up, bejewelled trees, Christmas trees. I don't feel threatened. I don't feel discriminated against. That's what they are, Christmas trees.

It doesn't bother me a bit when people say, “Merry Christmas” to me. I don't think they are slighting me or getting ready to put me in a ghetto. In fact, I kind of like it. It shows that we are all brothers and sisters celebrating this happy time of year. It doesn't bother me at all that there is a manger scene on display at a key intersection near my beach house in Malibu. If people want a crib, it's just as fine with me as is the Menorah a few hundred yards away.

I don't like getting pushed around for being a Jew, and I don't think Christians like getting pushed around for being Christians. I think people who believe in God are sick and tired of getting pushed around, period. I have no idea where the concept came from, that America is an explicitly atheist country. I can't find it in the Constitution and I don't like it being shoved down my throat.

Or maybe I can put it another way: where did the idea come from that we should worship celebrities and we aren't allowed to worship God? I guess that's a sign that I'm getting old, too. But there are a lot of us who are wondering where these celebrities came from and where the America we knew went to.

In light of the many jokes we send to one another for a laugh, this is a little different: This is not intended to be a joke; it's not funny, it's intended to get you thinking.

Billy Graham's daughter was interviewed on the Early Show and Jane Clayson asked her: “How could God let something like this happen?” (regarding Hurricane Katrina). Anne Graham gave an extremely profound and insightful response. She said: “I believe God is deeply saddened by this, just as we are, but for years we've been telling God to get out of our schools, to get out of our government and to get out of our lives. And being the gentleman He is, I believe He has calmly backed out. How can we expect God to give us His blessing and His protection if we demand He leave us alone?”

In light of recent events... terrorists attack, school shootings, etc. I think it started when Madeleine Murray O'Hare (she was murdered, her body found a few years ago) complained she didn't want prayer in our schools, and we said OK. Then someone said you better not read the Bible in school. The Bible says thou shalt not kill, thou shalt not steal, and love your neighbour as yourself. And we said OK.

Then Dr. Benjamin Spock said we shouldn't spank our children when they misbehave, because their little personalities would be warped and we might damage their self-esteem (Dr. Spock's son committed suicide). We said an expert should know what he's talking about. And we said okay.

Now we're asking ourselves why our children have no conscience, why they don't know right from wrong, and why it doesn't bother them to kill strangers, their classmates, and themselves.

Probably, if we think about it long and hard enough, we can figure it out. I think it has a great deal to do with 'WE REAP WHAT WE SOW.'

Funny how simple it is for people to trash God and then wonder why the world's going to hell. Funny how we believe what the newspapers say, but question what the Bible says. Funny how you can send 'jokes' through e-mail and they spread like wildfire, but when you start sending messages regarding the Lord, people think twice about sharing. Funny how lewd, crude, vulgar and obscene articles pass freely through cyberspace, but public discussion of God is suppressed in the school and workplace.

Are you laughing yet?

Funny how when you forward this message, you will not send it to many on your address list because you're not sure what they believe, or what they will think of you for sending it.

Funny how we can be more worried about what other people think of us than what God thinks of us.

Pass it on if you think it has merit.

If not, then just discard it.... no one will know you did. But if you discard this thought process, don't sit back and complain about what bad shape the world is in.

My Best Regards, Honestly and respectfully,

Ben Stein
Carole

Proud to be a 500 member.
I don't know the master plan, but I know the Master has a plan.

http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=34113

deejay

Postby deejay » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:34 pm

If one message should be passed around and read all over the world, this should be the message. This tops the list for honesty and truth. God bless you, Mr. Stein.

PreviousNext

Return to The Water Cooler