To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Pacific Coast Rest-Stop

A place for general chat (non-writing related). Please keep political discussions to the relevant neighborhood forum.

Moderators: cori67, RedBaron, Shann

Shann

Re: Pacific Coast Rest-Stop

Postby Shann » Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:40 pm

Hope ya all are having a nice day! We went to Andy's parents' house. (M's Andy not Amy's) :) I've done really good not mentioning him Amy especially when people have asked where you've been!

So last night I wrote a challenge entry and even entered it--in my sleep. When I woke up this morning I scratched my head and could kind of remember doing it but thought it was a dream but it wasn't! I had no idea what it was about so it was interesting reading my story through fresh eyes. :shock: Oh brother leave it to me. It doesn't make much sense and is full of errors and repeating words. Watch it win--if it does, I think I'll give up on writing!
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

Rebecky
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Postby Rebecky » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:29 pm

Congrats Amy. Online/distant relationships are hard. I've been in a few myself and they've all failed, naturally. Honestly most people I know who have had online/distant relationships have always broken up. Actually the people i've had online relationships with aren't in my life anymore and they have hurt me more than anyone. Then again, relationships in person are hard enough and I have experiences in that as well. Sadly, I given up on relationships period.

Anyway, you'll need the extra prayers for it. Online/distant relationships are WAY harder than in person ones and even in person ones are difficult.
Last edited by Rebecky on Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dum Spiro Spero

Ms. Barbie

Postby Ms. Barbie » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:03 pm

Oh Amy, I'm sooo happy for you! Enjoy every moment that you can. :D :superhappy :superhappy :superhappy
Barb Culler

Sparrow

Postby Sparrow » Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:08 am

Thanks, everyone. :) I actually know a lot of people who have had success with long distance relationships, including my grandparents and they didn't have video chats back then! hehe. But we are taking it slow.

I don't think he's mentioned Dr. Who... I'll have to ask. Jay, you're right that he's definitely not a nerd as far as being awkward socially, but he is in that he likes computer stuff and sci-fi, etc. I don't use it as a negative term. :P And I didn't think I did dress up for any Bible studies, except this week I was coming straight from work so had on my nicer work clothes and make-up. Usually I am just rolling out of bed. I'd wondered if anyone had guessed, though. :P We haven't been trying to keep it a secret but were waiting a little to announce it.

How was everyone's Thanksgiving? I was really struggling physically today but laying down briefly after dinner helped so I was able to make it through. I feel bad my mom ends up having to do almost all the cooking and cleaning. SisJ and I do what we can to help and Grandma did some of the cooking and clean up, but it's mostly her. My grandparents came over and we had a nice lunch with them. My oldest sister's family was sick so we were really disappointed they couldn't come, but my brother-in-law came and got food for them and then we video chatted with them and that almost made up for it. We give gifts on Thanksgiving instead of Christmas and he brought our gifts and picked up theirs so we still got to see them opening everything. I crocheted the nieces and my grandma each a shawl and my sister a scarf, and lap blankets for BIL and grandpa.

I'm working on lap blankets for Mom and SisJ too, but haven't finished them yet. But I was surprised I got all the others finished in time and my wrists have held up okay. My shoulder that I sprained last spring is still bothering me but thankfully is finally a little better but then today I seem to have sprained the front of it now. :roll: At least it isn't constant pain--just when I use it in certain ways... so I couldn't help with dishes much. I have no idea what I did to it, but guess it doesn't take anything special for my muscles.

Okay, I'm off to go read Shann's sleep story. She sends me texts in her sleep often, but submitting a challenge story is something else! :lol:
Amy Michelle Wiley
Check out my booklet, Bring Your Writing to Life: a writer's guide to "show; don't tell". Buy it here.
My Website, Sparrow's Flight

Rebecky

Postby Rebecky » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:50 am

we had a good day yesterday. Although my dad fell out of the rocking chair smack on his bottom. It sounded sooooo painful. He's okay now I think though.

Then last night I went to get something and this container that has all of dads screws in it (its very heavy) fell on my foot most of it landed on my big toe. My big toe was really bothering me last night but now its okay. I'm gonna keep an eye on it for bruising. Oh and last night my dog shook his head and hit my nose really good. It was bugging me for the longest time but now its okay.

Now i'm sitting in the living room watching National Treasure on tv and considering working on my NaNo novel more.
Dum Spiro Spero

Rebecky

Postby Rebecky » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:57 am

Oh and Amy I also know maybe three couples that met online and are married now. But they are also all younger than me.
Dum Spiro Spero

lauralnm
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Postby lauralnm » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:35 pm

Well, I've done a little catching up on at least the last couple of pages, soooo...

Amy, congratulations on your new relationship. I will keep you in prayer. I've never had one, but if it is God's will, anything can work!

Becky, yes, you do have to do a lot of things for your loved ones while in the hospital more and more. The nurses are overwhelmed with their workload. I see that more and more. I know when my parents were in a nursing home, my sister who lived in the same city they did, used to pop in several times a day to see that they were being treated properly. There are little things that you can do to make your loved one's stay in a hospital less stressful and I think you have been given a lot of good advice.

Shann, I haven't had a chance to read your entry yet, but I can hardly wait to do so. Perhaps I will see a bit of what you're talking about when you say you write random things in the middle of the night. I've been known to do the same. Perhaps we should get together and write a book about our experiences. Hahahahahaha

Now, for me and an update. As several of you know, I took a terrible fall three weeks ago today. I hurt my left ribcage which has probably been one of the most painful things I've ever experienced. I've been on pain meds constantly since then; HOWEVER, Tuesday morning I miraculously awakened to little pain and have continued on that track since then. I still am being very careful so as not to aggravate the injury, but I feel so blessed that I am feeling as good as I am in such a short time. Thank you all for the prayers you sent up for me.

My family is all in the state of Washington, however, two of them live quite a distance so we were unable to visit them for Thanksgiving. One had a family dinner on her own and the other we will be having a Thanksgiving dinner with them today. So life is good on this home front.

blessings, laura

Allison

Postby Allison » Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:40 pm

We had Thanksgiving, Take 1, Small Version yesterday. Seven people. Tomorrow is Thanksgiving, Take 2, Large Version. 30+ people. :shock: We do potluck style, so we don't have to do all the food, but it still involves quite a bit of prep-work.

Amy, I'm happy for you and Andy!

Shann, I haven't read all of them, but I read the opening paragraph or two of those that were submitted later, and I didn't notice anything too horrible. :) So it must not be as bad as you think.

Okay. I really need to finish cleaning and organizing now.:)
Isaiah 40:30-31 (NIV)

violin4jesus

Postby violin4jesus » Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:43 am

Rebecky wrote:Oh and Amy I also know maybe three couples that met online and are married now. But they are also all younger than me.

I did! And Black Friday was our 3 year anniversary of being engaged. Ryan proposed to me "under the stars" in a parking lot next to our cars outside our favorite restaurant. :mrgreen: I knew it was coming but he definitely caught me off guard. So happy for you, Amy, and praying things work out as they should.

Was on standby again last night but thankfully got a call at 9:30pm to go in. So I got holiday pay on Wednesday and callback pay on Thursday. Very very thankful for every chance to make the needed income. Cooked our turkey a day late in the crock pot while I slept...had to cut off the legs to make it fit, but it did, and it was very good. Whipped up some stuffing on the stovetop and cranberry sauce, and Ryan had thrown some potatoes into the oven an hour before I got up, so we had a very hearty dinner. Three heaping pasta bowls of turkey scraps are in the fridge, so we'll be well stocked the rest of the week.

Glad to hear of everyone doing well. I must be tired despite sleeping all day; we'll see how long I stay up tonight. I work the next two anyway. My novel is falling by the wayside...I may have a little time to revive it before the end of the month, but I'm not holding my breath.

Have a great weekend!

Sparrow

Postby Sparrow » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:05 am

I crashed hard today and ended up staying in bed until 5 PM. :mrgreen: I'm hoping that means I might be able to feel up to doing a little work on my novels tomorrow. It's been many months since I've done much on them and really wanting to get back to it but hard when my energy levels are so low.

Becky, sounds like you and your dad had bad days physically. :? Hope you're both feeling better. My cat tried to rip my nose off today. When we're cuddling on the bed she usually kind of controls things and sometimes I have trouble getting comfortable. I got hot and decided for once I was going to just do it my way and tried to pull a cover out from under her. :| That's the first time she's lashed out that hard in anger. She will nip or slap at me sometimes, but usually only really hurts me when it's friendly playing and she gets excited and forgets to be careful. It's not deep on my nose, just uncomfortable and in an awkward place to bandage. Should heal fine. It provided ample teasing material for Andy and our healKick friends tonight. :P

Leah, glad you got some extra pay and got to have a yummy meal.

Laura, I've been wondering how you are doing. Thanks for popping in with an update, and sooo glad to hear you're doing some better. Will pray you continue to improve.
Amy Michelle Wiley
Check out my booklet, Bring Your Writing to Life: a writer's guide to "show; don't tell". Buy it here.
My Website, Sparrow's Flight

Rebecky

Postby Rebecky » Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:31 am

Oh so is he on healkick and a prayer site your on or just healkick?

Anyway sounds painful. I went to my grandparents house yesterday and visited with them and my aunt and my aunt took a video I SO wanted to share with you guys of her dog trying to find the kitty in the computer. He would literally sniff the laptop screen when he saw a kitty on it and then he'd try to look under the computer and then he'd kiss me all over my face thinking I had something to do with it all. lol

I was hoping I'd crash last night but I kept waking up every hour or so. :|

I might try to find that video of my aunts dog and see if I can convert the video and get it up on youtube or something. :mrgreen:
Dum Spiro Spero

Rebecky

Postby Rebecky » Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:42 pm

My grandmother was moved to another room, it's a bigger one. Blood tests show that her white blood count is high which means she could have an infection. They're running more tests and doing a chest x-ray.

We're skipping church tomorrow to go visit her in the hospital again.
Dum Spiro Spero

deejay

Postby deejay » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:07 pm

As usual, I worked Wednesday before T-day, we had our feast at home, though we were expecting 15 guests only a few showed up; I think it's safe to say we won't be buying groceries for some time! :mrgreen: I went to work as usual on Friday. I was preparing the turkey, and couldn't find the doggone giblets bag. Got the neck out--a big one--but try as I might, no giblet bag. So I thought maybe it didn't get one--I used to work in manufacturing and know sometimes things like that happen--and as I was carving the turkey, I was getting the wishbone off for my roomie Diane and guess what popped out of the neck cavity! Yep, bag of giblets! :roll: At least we decided not to stuff the turkey, so nobody got food poisoning. The cats got the neck and giblets after they were cooked, of course. Things went very well, actually.
The vacuum cleaner at work is on the fritz (Dyson), and the Sebo--my preferred vacuum--is out of bags. So I finished at 2:45 p.m. Wednesday and at 3 p.m. Friday. Our cleaning supplies provider hasn't been around in a month; they used to come weekly/semi-monthly. The bag holding dirty cleaning cloths and mopheads must be gross at the bottom. One of the cleaning chemicals doesn't have a lid over it, and it dried out. I added water to it and stirred, but I don't think it's blended to the right solution strength. I've been using paper towels to clean with, and Friday I refilled a couple of paper towel and toilet paper dispensers, then distributed what I had left--8 rolls of t.p. and 4 of paper towels--among the three indoor bathrooms. I've told Narrah about it, as well as Danielle, and they say they will get ahold of Cintas, but obviously there's the holiday so hopefully they will get their stuff picked up and replenish everything soon.
Thursday night as I went to take my shower, I noticed my deodorant was missing. Last night, I needed to get my nail kit to trim a broken nail, and my nail kit was missing from my dresser drawer! Luckily, I had a new stick of deodorant, so I'm using that, but still--! They say it's the ghost in the house. What? I thought I got rid of that thing--now I'll have to re-anoint the house! :x
Why do these things always happen to me?

Rebecky

Postby Rebecky » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:50 pm

A ghost? :shock:

and they still make vacuum cleaners that take bags? :shocked

:heehee
Dum Spiro Spero

Shann

Postby Shann » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:02 pm

Oh Becky you make me smile. My vacuum needs bags too. Though lately I've been using the wet dry shop vac as it sucks things up so much better and I don't need to be extra careful about making sure anything that is on the floor doesn't ruin the motor. It's much easier to do it with the $30 wet/dry vac than the expensive Oreck! We are tough on vac around here. As a kid Mom only had two and they were both electrolux and lasted forever.

Glad to see you pop in Laura and hope you are taking it easy.

Sounds like everyone had a nice holiday too!
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

PreviousNext

Return to The Water Cooler