To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Pacific Coast Rest-Stop

A place for general chat (non-writing related). Please keep political discussions to the relevant neighborhood forum.

Moderators: cori67, RedBaron, Shann

JesusPuppy
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: Pacific Coast Rest-Stop

Postby JesusPuppy » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:30 pm

Well Us who understand the truth of it all know that it is only the end of an AGE and not the end of life itself. BUT.... the aliens coming would be way cool. I want one of those galaxy space hopping mini-shuttles. A small one, just big enough to get me BACK to the Dog-Star. :mrgreen:
....JesusPuppy (or just call me Pup) Image

And just for the record, I am a Male.

"I am a writer, I do NOT lie... I fictionalise." JP

"The Lord Bless thee, and keep thee.." Num. 6:24

JesusPuppy Profile

Cypress Times, online Christian news paper.

violin4jesus

Postby violin4jesus » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:14 am

Yeah, my hubby posted a status update on the day after the election:
Hey everybody! Now that the election is over, we can focus on what's more important...THE "END OF THE WORLD" NEXT MONTH!!! AAAAHHHHH!!!!
Not that we believe any of that. The 2012 movie was entertaining at least.

I'm soooo tired. My sleep has been all messed up by insomnia for the last two weeks. Even Benadryl isn't helping all that much. Some days I sleep okay but most days I'm waking up after 4-5 hours and can't seem to get back to sleep. But when I try to be productive because I'm awake, I feel sleepy and out of it. :?

And my novel isn't going to be anywhere close to complete by the end of the month. Sara finished hers in 10 days, but she's crazy experienced with NaNo. I have made it further than all my other attempts, and I do have almost half of the month to finish part of it. I figure it will be a good start, and I can keep up the pace and finish it over the next few months. Then on to editing and publishing. And becoming a "real" writer. :lol:

Was scheduled to work tonight but placed on standby, thankfully. I'm not sure I could have made it due to how sleepy I am. May take a nap in a bit. Ryan's at a concert tonight and apparently the car has a flat tire, so he may be home rather late.

Hope everyone is well.

Shann

Postby Shann » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:42 am

Hey just popping in for some loving. My heart is hurting. It doesn't happen often, but every once in a while I'll get a defensive PM about a comment I left. I try so hard to be honest and not mean but every once in a while I hurt someone's feelings and they send me a terse PM. I get 100 xs more of the thank you's for pointing something out but when this happens I wonder why I even bother. I'll be spending the next few hours sobbing in my room because apparently I'm rather dense because the story had been sent out to over 200 people and every single one of them got it and I guess I complicate things just to be mean. Image

The worst time was when someone told me "thank you for pointing out what a terrible writer I am Thanks to your comment I know I have no business picking up a pen. I used to enjoy writing thinking it helped me to express myself but thanks to your comments I realize all I do is annoy people with my errors and I'll never enter a story to FW again."

I almost totally lost it with that one. I immediately sent a letter of apology and begged her to forgive me. The funny thing is my comment wasn't harsh at all. I think I mentioned a typo. But she never responded and I haven't seen her on FW since. It was especially hard because I thought we had developed a relationship and were emailing or txting every couple of days. I never have a mean intention. I've just gotten so many comments that have helped me a bunch so I'm eager to pay it forward. I also always mention positive things before and after any constructive comment. I'm tempted to tell people but a note at the bottom saying please only leave fluff. Least that way I'd know. I know I've hurt Leah before too but it's not my intention and she told me she knew that and after the hurt went away she may even agreed with what I said.

Oh yeah, guess what! The moon thief is back! I went out at 6:30 and the moon was right in the middle of the sky were it was supposed to be and then at 8 I went out again and it was gone. Still gone at 11 even though the stars were all twinkling. Then at 1 the stores were brilliant but no moon, nope not at 3 or 4:30 or even 6 am. I really think I need to talk with Homeland Security. I mean it takes a lot of chutzpah to mess with me moon! Image

Oh well just thought I'd pop in. There's nothing like home to make one feel better Love ewesImage
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

Rebecky

Postby Rebecky » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:49 am

My grandmother is headed into emergency surgery.

She apparently has suffered with colitis for a long time and she has now blew out her bowel and needs surgery. Please pray.

thanks.
Dum Spiro Spero

Ms. Barbie

Postby Ms. Barbie » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:03 pm

Shann, that seems to be an overly-drastic reaction to a minor critique! Maybe the author actually felt incompetent and your comment was the proverbial last straw and she threw her anger at you rather than accept her own insecurities.

Once you apologize for unintentionally hurting someone, try to let it go. You cannot be held responsible for another's feelings.

BTW. you can be Mommy Shann to everyone else, but I'm old enough to be YOUR mommy! So listen to your elders! :) :hugs2 :loveyou
Barb Culler

Shann

Postby Shann » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:51 pm

Rebecky wrote:My grandmother is headed into emergency surgery.

She apparently has suffered with colitis for a long time and she has now blew out her bowel and needs surgery. Please pray.

thanks.

Dear Jesus, Please wrap your arms around Becky and soothe her fears and pain. We pray that you bless Grandma with strength to be able to handle the surgery and fight the blood loss and possible infections after. Keep her safe and let her be able to feel your love shining through. Thank you for hospitals and medical staff and for firends and family who lift us up when times are tough. Grant Becky and her family the strength and stamina they will need to get through the next few days. Remind them that they are loved and never ever alone. In your name we pray. Amen
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

Shann

Postby Shann » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:53 pm

Barb thanks I need a mommy right now. Right after I posted the earlier message I received another email telling me that this person also was leaving FW because of me. Needless to say I didn't sleep last night and have been sobbing for hours. Thanks for the love, Becky and Amy also reached out to me with love and encouragment I don't know what I'd do without you guys.
Shann

Shann's Profile

Allison

Postby Allison » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:16 pm

Oh Shann. I'm so sorry that these people take your comments the wrong way. It is NOT your fault! My guess is that they posted here because they only wanted nice warm fuzzies, and they thought that at a Christian website, they'd never receive anything even slightly negative... They we'd all tell them how wonderful their writing is. Well, the thing about writing and Christianity is that there is one thing that you cannot neglect, and that is growth. And if we can't grow as writers here, where CAN we go? If someone has no intention of growing as a writer, then... honestly, a writing website of any sort is NOT the place for them. Shann, your comments are always so loving and thought out. PLEASE don't take the abuse personally. It is NOT your fault! It is their problem, not yours. :hugs2
Isaiah 40:30-31 (NIV)

Rebecky

Postby Rebecky » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:32 pm

Update on my grandmother: She came out of surgery, they ended up removing a portion of her bowel and she'll have to have a colostomy bag for a little while, she will be in the hospital for about 5 days or so. Thanks!
Dum Spiro Spero

Shann

Postby Shann » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:03 pm

I'm glad to hear the surgery went well for her Becky. I bet she'll need some help the first couple of weeks she is home, maybe you could go stay with her. I think from what you've said about laying out their pills and stuff that you'd be really good at helping her and watching out for her. I also think you'd be great as a nurse or even an aide. I know when I was doing nursing it was such a great feeling to help others and to be needed really made me passionate about my work. I know it's not something you can do right now but I have faith that God might have that type of a plan for you. Hugs
Shann

Shann's Profile

Rebecky

Postby Rebecky » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:41 pm

Shann wrote:I think from what you've said about laying out their pills and stuff that you'd be really good at helping her and watching out for her.

Wrong grandmother.

The grandmother i'm talking about is the one whose husband (my poppop) died last year.

My dad's parents are the ones who I do their medicine for.

Anyway, my uncle lives with Mommom and he doesn't work.
Dum Spiro Spero

violin4jesus

Postby violin4jesus » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:30 am

Shann, you have NEVER hurt me by any of your comments. Just want to clarify. I simply said that sometimes I'm not looking for critiques and I don't ask for red ink, although if it's given in love I may bristle a little but that's my own insecurity about not being perfect. :wink: So I'm sure it's their own insecurity that they feel and they're taking it out on you. I wouldn't be as good of a writer as I am without the critiques I've received over the years at FW. I think most of us think we're pretty good when we start out here, and then we just learn that we have things to learn to make us better. And you ALWAYS do it in kindness and love, so the response does not match your tone at all. It's an overreaction for sure. Do not be hard on yourself, please!

Hope your grandma gets well soon, Becky.

I actually slept today - ALL day - which was lovely. I feel totally rested and ready for the night. And I am assigned the non-laboring patients so I actually have time to write. Yay! Hopefully it will be a good night overall. Everybody's still a little tense because of the layoffs on Thursday; it was unexpected and many people think it was unfair how they did it because they got rid of experienced day shift nurses and people were already taking on call shifts for much of the time. So some are talking about getting a union going (we're non-union at this hospital) and others are looking elsewhere for a job which will actually need them. I'm hoping I'll be okay for hours this winter because notoriously labor units have shortened hours in the winter due to fewer patients. We're okay, budget-wise, but in order to pay off loans I need extra income whenever possible.

Okay, off to be a writer.

JesusPuppy

Postby JesusPuppy » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:39 am

You know Leah.. if the movie is anything close to truth, you guys better move and quick. :heehee

Praying for your granny Kiddo. be sure to keep us informed to updates.

And Now.. Shann, don't you dare start feeling sorry for yourself because someone took a comment wrong. Sounds to me like they wanted a reason to lash out and took your one comment to do so. If they cant take criticism from others, how will they react to a publisher turning them down. I mean really... :roll:

And by the way... :?
Shann wrote:Then at 1 the stores were brilliant but no moon,

Which stores were brilliant, and what does that have to do with no moon..? :P
....JesusPuppy (or just call me Pup) Image

And just for the record, I am a Male.

"I am a writer, I do NOT lie... I fictionalise." JP

"The Lord Bless thee, and keep thee.." Num. 6:24

JesusPuppy Profile

Cypress Times, online Christian news paper.

Shann

Postby Shann » Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:31 pm

JesusPuppy wrote:You know Leah.. if the movie is anything close to truth, you guys better move and quick. :heehee

Praying for your granny Kiddo. be sure to keep us informed to updates.

And Now.. Shann, don't you dare start feeling sorry for yourself because someone took a comment wrong. Sounds to me like they wanted a reason to lash out and took your one comment to do so. If they cant take criticism from others, how will they react to a publisher turning them down. I mean really... :roll:

And by the way... :?
Shann wrote:Then at 1 the stores were brilliant but no moon,

Which stores were brilliant, and what does that have to do with no moon..? :P

Haven't you ever heard of the North Store? It's for Eskimos (uh-oh that's probably politically incorrect--do Eskimos have a PC name?)Image
Shann

Shann's Profile

Rebecky

Postby Rebecky » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:56 pm

We visited her in the hospital today after church. she's very tired, not sleeping, pale, has swollen hands, she's kind of out of it and in a lot of pain. They said that with her colitis that this would have happened eventually. they took part of her colon because it was black from lack of blood flow to it.

it may be the end of the week or later before she gets to go home.
Dum Spiro Spero

PreviousNext

Return to The Water Cooler