To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Southern Porch Extension

A place for general chat (non-writing related). Please keep political discussions to the relevant neighborhood forum.

Moderators: cori67, RedBaron, Shann

Laurie
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: Southern Porch Extension

Postby Laurie » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:36 am

Don, that sounds more like the type of neighbors I have. It sounds like you have an attractive neighborhood otherwise and it's a shame to have people not respect the work others have done to keep the area so nice.

I live in a mobile home park. I have some really nice neighbors who keep their yards in good shape, don't cause any problems, etc. Then there are the kids that are all over with no parents to be seen, the pets who run loose, the beat up, noisy vehicles. The little preschool girl next to me is out playing in the street all the time by herself. Interesting situation over there. As far as I can tell her parents aren't currently working. The mom was allowed to move in only if her mom moved in so she could pay the rent. The dad was allowed to visit there, but not to live there. Well, it sure looks like he's living there now. For a couple of months the parents and child were gone and it was just the grandma there - this wasn't long after the mom was arrested one evening, came back for a time, then they all disappeared. Now they're back, but don't have a vehicle and different people come and pick them up for a few days and bring them back. Of course, there is no car seat for the little girl. A lot of people who come to see them park in front of my place instead of theirs so they all tramp across my front yard to get in and out of vehicles. The little girl leaves her toys in my yard. She's too little to know the difference, but her parents aren't. But they aren't out with her, and they don't seem to care whose yard they're in themselves so it's over their heads. It seems that whoever lives on that side of me is boundary challenged.

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:43 pm

I'm almost sorry I asked, Don. That's really terrible. Laurie, it's a shame we don't get to pick our neighbors, isn't it? I have been in your situation in which the ragtag mother let her 4-year-old son run around outside all the time with nothing on but a t-shirt. Her yard was a mess and so was she. After a couple of years, we just moved, as did two other neighbors. There's just so much you can do; then it becomes a case of "Is this just too frustrating or should we just relocate?" Our son Johnny was 3 and felt like he should be permitted to take his pants off and run around the yard. We took a loss on the house because people who were interested in our house couldn't believe a neighbor could live like that. We tried different avenues, too, with neighborhood meetings and pleas to city hall but nothing worked. That's one advantage of a Homeowner's Association we belonged in another city but that's a whole other subject. But it did keep our neighborhood spic and span. Any home improvement had to be approved and a time frame was placed on the homeowner for completion of the project.

Anyway, I'm sorry for you both and hope it gets resolved.
"I long, O I long to be holy, conformed to His will and His Word.
I long to be gentle and Christ-like; I long to be just like my Lord."

Mariane Holbrook

Green Leaves

Postby Green Leaves » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:31 pm

They found multiple locations of 25 per cent blockages or more when they did our sil, Brian, angiogram this morning. He is being released with nutrition and exercise instructions. Thank you so much for your prayers.
http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=45576

"God has not called me to be successful, God has called me to be faithful." Mother Teresa

"...not to advance in the spiritual life is to go back. But those who have the gale of the Holy Spirit go forward even in sleep.". Brother Lawrence

Edy

Postby Edy » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:57 pm

Green Leaves wrote:They found multiple locations of 25 per cent blockages or more when they did our sil, Brian, angiogram this morning. He is being released with nutrition and exercise instructions. Thank you so much for your prayers.

Thank the Lord for His care for Brian, and thank you, GreenLeaves, for the update. I'm glad he doesn't need any further invasive intervention - exercise may be no fun, but beats the alternative!
"Jesus Never Fails!" Love, Edy
The Gospel is such Good News even Christians don't believe it!
The Power of Story
We are the third temple! Acts 7:48, 1 Peter 2:4-5
Essentially Lutheran
My StoriesMy Blog:The Prairie Nightingale

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:37 pm

Green Leaves wrote:They found multiple locations of 25 per cent blockages or more when they did our sil, Brian, angiogram this morning. He is being released with nutrition and exercise instructions. Thank you so much for your prayers.

You said earlier that he had a major blockage (the widow maker). That is very serious. I wonder how they determined that without an angiogram. I'm surprised they didn't immediately install a stent to open that artery, or even insist on a bi-pass surgery. Serious blockages are difficult to open with just diet and exercise.

Just my thoughts...

Don
John 14:6
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"
http://faithwriters.com/article-details.php?id=41225

http://faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=18654

"The Israel Connection"
http://theisraelconnection.blogspot.com/

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

Green Leaves

Postby Green Leaves » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:47 pm

I have no answers, Don. I know he's been having chest pain etc for awhile. I was surprised too that more wasn't done because they told him they were prepared to go further with whatever needed to be done. I wondered if the blockage wasn't as bad as first thought.

"God has not called me to be successful, God has called me to be faithful." Mother Teresa

"...not to advance in the spiritual life is to go back. But those who have the gale of the Holy Spirit go forward even in sleep.". Brother Lawrence

Rebecky

Postby Rebecky » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:37 pm

I know one of my really great friend's mom had to have major heart surgery last year and they said one of her arteries was more than 98% blocked. It was quite shocking. I was just so glad that she made it out, I don't think my friend could handle losing both parents within a few years of each other.
Dum Spiro Spero

Edy

Postby Edy » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:13 pm

Don - I had the same thoughts on first hearing of the "widow maker." In fact, I assumed the angiogram/plasty was being done last Thursday, if doctors thought it was as bad as it sounded.

Perhaps he had a stress test that showed the suspected blockage - but that still doesn't explain the delay in treatment. Unless staffing was a problem, which I anticipate will be the norm under the new government mandated healthcare situation. :roll:
"Jesus Never Fails!" Love, Edy
The Gospel is such Good News even Christians don't believe it!
The Power of Story
We are the third temple! Acts 7:48, 1 Peter 2:4-5
Essentially Lutheran
My StoriesMy Blog:The Prairie Nightingale

Laurie

Postby Laurie » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:48 pm

Sounds like Brian's blockage isn't as bad as they first thought, but it sure does make you wonder, I'm sure. I hope he really does improve with diet and exercise. Is he the type to follow doctor's orders?

My dad had chest pains for a year before he said anything. When he did go in, they found three blockages - one over 50% and two over 90%. They kept him at the hospital and he had three by-passes two days later. It went very well and he recovered well. He followed doctor's orders and kept his cholesterol under control. We got to have him for 20 more years and he got saved at some point after that surgery. Much to be grateful for. :)

Good news! :superhappy My neighbors have spent the day moving out. :superhappy Of course, I realize that it probably just means a new boundary challenged person will move in. But, hey, for the moment, I'm happy. :superhappy

Mariane, that's a shame that you ended up moving because of that neighbor many years ago. I have a lot of nice and responsible neighbors, but I have quite a few who aren't as responsible, and it gets sickening sometimes.

Rebecky

Postby Rebecky » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:16 am

Since we're on the neighbor train... lol

All our neighbors are loud or mean, it seems. Our neighbor to the right of us is older, he always is outside doing yard work which is good. He's very big on taking care of his yard. He will often throw leaves and sticks in his yard into our yard over the fence. One time, for no reason he took a big piece of farm equipment and parked it right next to the fence and left it running over night. I think it bothered him more than us because it was closer to his house and bedroom then our house and rooms. (our bedrooms are on the opposite end of the house). Another time later he mounted a radio on a tree next to the fence and had it facing towards our yard and blared it. When I was 16, right after we got one of our dogs his wife called animal control on us because she saw me "hitting and beating" the dog. Needless to say that was a lie. And recently animal control got called on us again for our other dog barking despite the fact that the people across the street has dogs chained up outside all the time and their dogs bark day and night, night and day.

The people behind us are just loud. They would have shindigs during the summer and would still be out there early hours in the morning. Lately they haven't been loud as much, unless they're yelling and screaming at each other. It's funny cause people always seem to move in and out of that house like crazy. The people who are there now have only been there for a few months. Other then them people have been moving in and out of it all the time.

and the people to our left used to be loud, and still are when he works on his cars and trucks and things and is revving them up. They kind of have the typical "redneck" yard. Grass uncut and higher than anyone else's, car parts and junk everywhere. that kind of thing. Oh and a while back we found out that they've been stealing our cable for the last few years. My mom thinks they've been using our internet too but I highly doubt that one.

OK... rant over. :mrgreen:
Dum Spiro Spero

Verna

Postby Verna » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:00 am

Sorry about the difficult neighbors. Usually, it's just one or two "bad apples." I still laugh when I remember a neighbor many years ago who told me, "With enemies like you, who needs friends?" --(Think about it.) Her main complaint was that we were too religious. However, I'm thankful for all the good neighbors I've had. For any with bad neighbors, it's a really tough situation because it's out of your control. May God give you more grace to deal with it.

I've been kind of lying low. My dh and I have been "under the weather" and have been holding coughing contests. He said yesterday, "Be still a little bit--I think it's my turn to cough." I did go to the doctor Wednesday and found I have bronchitis. I wheeze more than an accordian! He gave me an antibiotic. I wish I could take a really good cough medicine, but I can't tolerate codeine. My sweetie has seen the doctor recently and thinks he just has a bad cold. I believe the fact that he has had anemia made him weaker and less resistant to germs. I'm just hoping to be better next week when our whole family celebrates Thanksgiving on Saturday. I think I've tried most of the cough remedies (except whiskey)--any "tried and true" suggestions? Where are you, Edy?

Carol, I hope your ex son-in-law will get along well.

And I hope you'll all have a good week-end.
Verna

A merry heart doeth good like a medicine...
Proverb 17:22

Facebook author page: Verna Cole Mitchell
http://www.magnificomanuscripts.com/

Rebecky

Postby Rebecky » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:23 am

Sounds like it's going around, Verna.

I've been sick with some kind of head cold for the last week or so, then my dad came down sick and then my grandmother. One of my friends just got over walking pneumonia and my mom's boss has it now too. :|
Dum Spiro Spero

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:21 pm

I have always said that we would sell our lakeshore cottage and move if just ONE of the following three things ever became a reality:

a) ... if we became physically unable to care for our place - inside and out.

b) ... if we became financially unable to live here.

c) ... if we became a burden, annoyance, or embarrassment to the neighbors.

The reality is that all three of those are now a real possibility, however, a fourth item should perhaps be added to the list.

d ???) ... if a neighbor's place not only became an on-going eyesore, annoyance, and embarrassment to neighborhood, but also became a place negatively affecting property values in the area.

Don
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:29 pm

Note:

I DO NOT WANT birthday kisses tomorrow from anyone suffering from a cold, cough, wheezing, aches, dripping noses, or any otherwise "under the weather" condition. :sorry

Kisses and hugs from all others are welcome, though. :lol:

Don

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

Green Leaves

Postby Green Leaves » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:54 pm

Guess I will be one who has to avoid contact with Don tomorrow, but here it is vomiting and diarrhea. :lol:

So I guess I'll send my Happy Birthday early...,.

:birthday :birthday :birthday :birthday

PreviousNext

Return to The Water Cooler