To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Southern Porch Extension

A place for general chat (non-writing related). Please keep political discussions to the relevant neighborhood forum.

Moderators: cori67, RedBaron, Shann

Laurie
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: Southern Porch Extension

Postby Laurie » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:14 pm

I should have said "be overtaken in a fault" and it's from the KJV. But maybe I don't have the right verse. :? ;) If that isn't it, then I don't know what verse it is.

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:28 pm

In desperation I even resorted to a word search in the KJV. It came up with over 500 "brethren" words. I read 'em all...and still missed it. :(

Don
John 14:6
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"
http://faithwriters.com/article-details.php?id=41225

http://faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=18654

"The Israel Connection"
http://theisraelconnection.blogspot.com/

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

Rebecky

Postby Rebecky » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:53 pm

Oops Laurie you have it right! :)
Dum Spiro Spero

Laurie

Postby Laurie » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:43 pm

Yay! :)

Laurie

Postby Laurie » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:46 pm

Okay, so we have

Brethren, if a man be overtaken in a fault,

Edy

Postby Edy » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:51 am

Where have I been!?

No notices from faithwriters - and I've been so otherwise occupied I didn't notice it until this evening. Surprise, you've been chatting away for pages!!

"ye who are spiritual"

(See, I am paying attention! But, I cheated and checked my favorite blueletterbible.org website because I did most of my memorization between KJV and RSV and I tend to mix them up in recall.)
"Jesus Never Fails!" Love, Edy
The Gospel is such Good News even Christians don't believe it!
The Power of Story
We are the third temple! Acts 7:48, 1 Peter 2:4-5
Essentially Lutheran
My StoriesMy Blog:The Prairie Nightingale

Edy

Postby Edy » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:56 am

GreenLeaves - how is the fellow with the blocked coronary artery doing? He's been on my prayer list.
"Jesus Never Fails!" Love, Edy
The Gospel is such Good News even Christians don't believe it!
The Power of Story
We are the third temple! Acts 7:48, 1 Peter 2:4-5
Essentially Lutheran
My StoriesMy Blog:The Prairie Nightingale

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:33 am

DON'T FORGET DON'S BIRTHDAY THIS SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 17. BRING ALL YOUR BEST CAKES,

COOKIES, PUNCH, MIXED NUTS, CHIPS AND DIPS, SOFT DRINKS, PIES AND PRESENTS, CARDS, AND

GOOD WISHES TO THE PORCH. :party :party :party :party :party :party :party :party :party :party :party

IT'S PARTY TIME !!!

---------------------------------------------

Hey Don, whatever happened to that family you were suspicious of who lived on your street. The kids were always disappearing or something for months at a time. You couldn't decide if they were C.I.A., part of the Mafia family, aliens from planet Verdant, :shock: :( or just wanted to be left alone. I love neighbors like that. Mine have always been so transparent that I often wished some intrigue lurked behind the shrubbery of their house. :book2 :orangeyes :pirate2 :eyes :shocked :sofa Can you bring us up to date?
"Let us come before him with thanksgiving and extol him with music and song. For the LORD is the great God, the great King above all gods."

SING ALONG:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3dXCL34aEA

Mariane Holbrook

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:32 am

BeachGrandma wrote:DON'T FORGET DON'S BIRTHDAY THIS SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 17. BRING ALL YOUR BEST CAKES,

COOKIES, PUNCH, MIXED NUTS, CHIPS AND DIPS, SOFT DRINKS, PIES AND PRESENTS, CARDS, AND

GOOD WISHES TO THE PORCH. :party :party :party :party :party :party :party :party :party :party :party

IT'S PARTY TIME !!!

Yes!! Yes!! Bring all of those things! Ohhh, yeah!!!

Cookies...nuts...chips 'n dip...pies. I like 'em all. Wait! You forgot the ice cream.. Gotta have that with the BD party cake, ya know.

Will I need to clear out the third stall in the garage for my big present? "Being prepared" is my motto.

And, plenty of music too. Oh yeah! Gonna be singin' and dancin' in the streets on Saturday night.

I've never seen 72 years before...and will never see it again.

:superhappy :lol: :thankssign :thumbs :clap :mrgreen: :superhappy
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:43 am

BeachGrandma wrote:Hey Don, whatever happened to that family you were suspicious of who lived on your street. The kids were always disappearing or something for months at a time. You couldn't decide if they were C.I.A., part of the Mafia family, aliens from planet Verdant, :shock: :( or just wanted to be left alone. I love neighbors like that. Mine have always been so transparent that I often wished some intrigue lurked behind the shrubbery of their house. :book2 :orangeyes :pirate2 :eyes :shocked :sofa Can you bring us up to date?

Oh, oh...yes, the neighbor update. I'll be back at 1100 hours with a complete report. I'll need to sift through my extensive notes first.

Those neighbors...a mighty strange bunch, they are. :eyes

Don

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

Rebecky

Postby Rebecky » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:13 am

Ugh. Neighbors. Believe me, I wish our neighbors weren't so nosy and mean. No offense or anything. :lol:

Restore such
Dum Spiro Spero

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:40 am

a one in a spirit

Don

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

Green Leaves

Postby Green Leaves » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:09 pm

Edy, thanks for asking about our ex son in law, Brian. He has been on my mind so much and his angiogram is tomorrow. I pray that God will give the doctor's the wisdom and skill to bring healing and ask the Lord to minister to all his needs whatever they may be, emotionally and spiritually.

For those who do not remember, tests determined that he has a major blockage of the main artery of the heart called the widow maker. Thank you for your prayers.
http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=45576

"God has not called me to be successful, God has called me to be faithful." Mother Teresa

"...not to advance in the spiritual life is to go back. But those who have the gale of the Holy Spirit go forward even in sleep.". Brother Lawrence

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:45 pm

BeachGrandma wrote:Hey Don, whatever happened to that family you were suspicious of who lived on your street. The kids were always disappearing or something for months at a time. You couldn't decide if they were C.I.A., part of the Mafia family, aliens from planet Verdant, :shock: :( or just wanted to be left alone. I love neighbors like that. Mine have always been so transparent that I often wished some intrigue lurked behind the shrubbery of their house. :book2 :orangeyes :pirate2 :eyes :shocked :sofa Can you bring us up to date?

As a quick review, I posted the following on Jan. 16, 2012. There was also another post describing even more things, but I can't locate it.

Even though I don't mingle with our neighbors very much, I do try to keep an eye on the neighborhood for anything unusual. In my opinion, there is something very strange going on with the neighbors two houses away from us. They bought the house last fall, and I have not even met them yet.

It's my understanding that the wife is the big bread winner in the household, and the husband is the home caretaker and stay-at-home-mom for their 6 kids...ages from about 15 down to less than a year. The wife appears to be caucasian, and he appears to be of Mid-Eastern descent. The kids appear to be a blend of the two. The family came here from Chicago.

Ever since they moved in, several of their kids were always seen outside playing, just doing what kids do, or waiting for the school bus. However, since mid-December I have not seen a kid anywhere. I have only seen the husband's vehicle in the driveway once in the past month. The wife leaves for work early in the morning and returns late in the day. It would seem that the kids and the husband are not currently living there.

Also, for three weeks last fall he rented a Bobcat loader/backhoe and proceded to tear up most of the front yard, and most of the back yard. The rumor is that they are attempting to solve water drainage problems around the house by adding a planned porch addition in front, and re-grading in back. After it was all tore up with huge piles of dirt everywhere, the city, the DNR, and the neighborhood architectural committee shut down their project for being in violation of codes, permits, and neighborhood covenants.

So, the huge mess in the yard is still there...and the husband and kids seem to be nowhere in sight. The mystery continues...

My nose for trouble tells me there is something seriously wrong over there.

Well, the kids and husband finally returned in early January after being absent for about four weeks. The yard is now in worse shape with huge dirt piles all over...especially the back yard where he is still doing work with a Bobcat front-end loader. Funny thing about that. Even though he is at home all day, he digs and moves the dirt only in the evenings...especially after dark with the Bobcat's headlights. We think he is trying to avoid being seen during the day by the city and DNR official's work hours. They have shut down his project a couple of times for lack of permits, failure to obtain project approvals, and for altering drainage paths into the nearby creek. The county sheriff's cars have been there twice.

In late summer he poured a large cement slab outside the front of the house as a base for his planned porch addition, but nothing more has been done with that. The slab is ugly, and his porch (he calls it a grand entrance) will look like it has been "tacked on" to the house. Also he ran into the back corner of his house with the Bobcat, and wrecked siding and trim. The whole place is a disaster, and is becoming worse.

The oldest son (now 16) has aquired a junker car that was sitting in the driveway all summer...in violation of city ordinances. It won't run, and has been stripped down to the bare frame, engine, and running gear. I am told the kid wants to restore it. The car has been dragged into the garage for the winter.

On school days, two or three cars stop to pick up the kids for school. Nobody seems to know where they attend school, and why they don't take the schoolbus. We believe they are being taken to some private/religious (Muslim?) school. A nanny??? arrives early each day to house-sit the pre-school kids even though the husband is home all day. She brings a couple of her own pre-school kids along with her.

Our neighborhood is an up-scale development filled with professional people (doctors, lawyers, commercial pilots, business owners, etc). They are upset to say the least, but there is not much they can do. For some reason the city is unwilling to take any serious action. I attended a neighborhood meeting this summer that was held at the city library to discuss the subject. Even though one of them was a lawyer, nothing really got done. A few of the neighbors have gone over to visit with the homeowner to discuss his projects and review his timelines for completion. About all they got from him were his complaints that the neighborhood lacked patience.

Personally, I don't believe his projects will ever be complete. His property will always be an eyesore, and a state of disruption. I believe that what we see today is as good as it will ever be.

Don

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

Laurie

Postby Laurie » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:36 am

Don, that sounds more like the type of neighbors I have. It sounds like you have an attractive neighborhood otherwise and it's a shame to have people not respect the work others have done to keep the area so nice.

I live in a mobile home park. I have some really nice neighbors who keep their yards in good shape, don't cause any problems, etc. Then there are the kids that are all over with no parents to be seen, the pets who run loose, the beat up, noisy vehicles. The little preschool girl next to me is out playing in the street all the time by herself. Interesting situation over there. As far as I can tell her parents aren't currently working. The mom was allowed to move in only if her mom moved in so she could pay the rent. The dad was allowed to visit there, but not to live there. Well, it sure looks like he's living there now. For a couple of months the parents and child were gone and it was just the grandma there - this wasn't long after the mom was arrested one evening, came back for a time, then they all disappeared. Now they're back, but don't have a vehicle and different people come and pick them up for a few days and bring them back. Of course, there is no car seat for the little girl. A lot of people who come to see them park in front of my place instead of theirs so they all tramp across my front yard to get in and out of vehicles. The little girl leaves her toys in my yard. She's too little to know the difference, but her parents aren't. But they aren't out with her, and they don't seem to care whose yard they're in themselves so it's over their heads. It seems that whoever lives on that side of me is boundary challenged.

PreviousNext

Return to The Water Cooler