To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Do We Need Releases for Every Book?

Information and announcements about new Mixed Blessings Anthologies which are a compilation of the Editors' Choice winning Writing Challenge entries.

Moderator: Deb Porter

Deb Porter
FaithWriters and Site Admin

Do We Need Releases for Every Book?

Postby Deb Porter » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:48 am

Hi everyone.

This question has been asked a few times: Do we need releases for each book or can we just sign one to cover all in the future?

I totally understand why this is being asked and have given it a lot of thought. I know the question hasn't come from a lack of willingness to sign the forms (anything but), but more as a way to make sure they never miss out in the future (and to protect me from all the work involved).

To be honest, I've given it a lot of thought and was thinking of going with that idea, until this week. One of our authors has followed God's prompting and, after initial excitement about being included in Book 2, has realized that her winning entry could cause some issues with people she knows. As a result, she's asked for her entry to be left out of the book. This decision was a wise one to make.

It has also hammered home the need for having a signed release for each book, covering each article by each author in that book. This is as much a case of protecting the author as it is about protecting me. A blanket release would be convenient, but it could lead to issues in the future.

So, in spite of the work involved, we need to stick with releases for each book.

Love, Deb

CatLin
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: Do We Need Releases for Every Book?

Postby CatLin » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:07 am

Sounds like a wise decision - on the author's decision and on FW's. I know I've entered at least one challenge entry I have regrets about for reasons similar to hers. Luckily none of them were EC's. :P
Catrina Bradley
FaithWriters Profile
Scattered Seeds
Jewels of Encouragement

"God rewrote the text of my life when I opened the book of my heart to his eyes." Psalm 18:24 (The Message)

lthomas
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)

Postby lthomas » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:11 pm

I can understand and respect this decision. I was wondering, however, for those of us who cannot e-mail back a release, do you have a fax machine that would serve the same purpose as having to go via "snail mail"?

Loren
"And this, our life, exempt from public haunt, finds tongues in trees, books in the running brooks, sermons in stones, and good in everything." From "As You Like It." Wm. Shakespeare.

lish1936

Postby lish1936 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:53 pm

:typing2

Deb,
Just wondering if you received my contract that I sent via snail mail.

Lillian
E-Book - Retirement Lane - How to Celebrate Life After 60

Fortunate 500

I write even when I think I can't, because I must. :-)

I love to write. Nothing escapes the crush I have on the written word. I'm hooked on words!!

"Let words bewitch you. Scrutinze them, mull them, savor them, and in combination, until you see their subtle differences and the ways they tint each other." Francis Flaherty

Deb Porter

Postby Deb Porter » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:24 pm

Loren, if you don't mind sending it to an Australian number, yes. Let me know.

There is another possibility, but I'll have to check if she is able to make PDF copies of files.

Lillian, I have received a lot of releases, and your envelope is sitting here right on the top. I'm just catching up with Challenge and Page Turner at the moment. Thanks for asking, though.

Love, Deb

Shann

Postby Shann » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:25 pm

In the rules doesn't it State that by entering you are agreeing to having the story published if selected as an EC? Once it's out on the Web it's out there forever so no one should ever write a story that they wouldn't want the world to see. I understand being cautious and wanting to protect yourself and author. I also know not everyone reads the rules, but people should be aware the moment it is online it's out there for anyone to see. (I know I'm late posting this, but have been meaning to ask and keep forgetting)

This is a slightly off topic question, but I haven't been able to find the answer. We have the FB button next to all stories that anyone can post on FB. It clearly states that all posts and pictures become the property of FB once posted. So does that mean if someone posts my stories to FB it becomes FB's property and they could use it however they want?
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

Colswann1

Postby Colswann1 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:13 pm

Thanks for reminding us of our obligations Shann when we submit our articles. Personally, I can not see any difference in someone requesting an article's withdrawal from either one or the other system, if Deb is willing to pull an article at the owner's request.
Colin Swann

Jesus’ love is constant and never wavers.

lish1936

Postby lish1936 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:31 pm

Shann wrote:We have the FB button next to all stories that anyone can post on FB. It clearly states that all posts and pictures become the property of FB once posted. So does that mean if someone posts my stories to FB it becomes FB's property and they could use it however they want?

Deb, since I am not too savvy about Facebook, I'm particularly interested in your answer to Shann's question.

Thanks,

Lillian
E-Book - Retirement Lane - How to Celebrate Life After 60

Fortunate 500

I write even when I think I can't, because I must. :-)

I love to write. Nothing escapes the crush I have on the written word. I'm hooked on words!!

"Let words bewitch you. Scrutinze them, mull them, savor them, and in combination, until you see their subtle differences and the ways they tint each other." Francis Flaherty

Return to Challenge Books - Mixed Blessings