To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Southern Porch Extension

A place for general chat (non-writing related). Please keep political discussions to the relevant neighborhood forum.

Moderators: cori67, RedBaron, Shann

Verna
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: Southern Porch Extension

Postby Verna » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:22 pm

Edy, I don't remember what that construction is called either :D but I like it.

:thankssign, Mariane, for your lovely endorsement for my book DON'T FRIGHTEN THE PANSIES.

Here's a link to it on Amazon--

http://www.amazon.com/Dont-Frighten-Pan ... he+pansies

You can click on the book to see samples inside: the cover--front and back--Table of Contents, Front Pages, and some poems--if you click on the Table of Contents. If you would like a signed copy, you can e-mail me at don'tfrightenthepansies@gmail.com . The book with postage is $12.00--check or paypal. Or you can order it from Amazon or Barnes and Noble, and I'll send you signed label to put inside (for free).

I have already had the very best report I could possibly have from someone who read my poems. A friend gave a book to her mother, who reported to her that her husband found some answers in there to problems he'd been struggling with. That was my prayer --going into publishing--that folks would know salvation is free and God loves us every one.
Verna

A merry heart doeth good like a medicine...
Proverb 17:22

Facebook author page: Verna Cole Mitchell
http://www.magnificomanuscripts.com/

Laurie

Postby Laurie » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:08 pm

That's great news, Verna. Love it when God speaks through us. :)

Joanney, I'm sorry to hear about your difficulties and frustrations. What a concern about your health. Please keep us posted on that.

Debby, I'm glad to hear you like your new place so well. I know it looked amazing in the pics, so I'm not surprised you enjoy it so much. :)

Edy, I can't remember what those things are called, but I sure get a kick out of them. :)

Laurie

Postby Laurie » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:26 pm

hole - hold

I don't usually have trouble thinking of titles for my articles, but I am now. I'm writing an article about how we can stop food related behaviors - for example, how we can stop from going to food for comfort or how we can stop restricting our food intake in an attempt to gain control. So it isn't just for those with eating disorders (like most articles I write), but it's for anyone who turns to food or away from food for emotional or spiritual reasons. Anyway, that's the gist of it. Does anyone have any ideas?

Green Leaves

Postby Green Leaves » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:04 pm

Food For Mood?
http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=45576

"God has not called me to be successful, God has called me to be faithful." Mother Teresa

"...not to advance in the spiritual life is to go back. But those who have the gale of the Holy Spirit go forward even in sleep.". Brother Lawrence

Allison

Postby Allison » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:05 pm

Laurie wrote:hole - hold

I don't usually have trouble thinking of titles for my articles, but I am now. I'm writing an article about how we can stop food related behaviors - for example, how we can stop from going to food for comfort or how we can stop restricting our food intake in an attempt to gain control. So it isn't just for those with eating disorders (like most articles I write), but it's for anyone who turns to food or away from food for emotional or spiritual reasons. Anyway, that's the gist of it. Does anyone have any ideas?

*sneaks onto the porch again* (okay. So I've been lurking/skimming a bit.)

What about "Handing over the Controls" or "In Control" or "Co-Pilot to Pilot" Okay. So those are all kind of dumb, cheesy, and/or cliche-ish. But it's all I can come up with. :)

Also...

hold --> held
(Okay. I admit. I really just wanted to participate in the game. But felt I had to have some other "excuse" to jump in. ;) )
Isaiah 40:30-31 (NIV)

Laurie

Postby Laurie » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:04 pm

held - help

Allison, you're welcome on the porch anytime, and you don't need an "excuse" to participate in our game. :)

Thanks for the title ideas so far. :) I thought of something myself a little bit ago (Give Food Its Proper Place), but it's pretty bland, so someone else can probably come up with something better.

My sister is staying with my mom for a couple of days, and I'm going to rent a rug doctor and she'll come over and clean my carpets for me. She's done it before, and I haven't. Plus I shouldn't work that closely with stirring up allergens. I shouldn't even be here while it's being done, but I have to be. The cleaner I bought kills dust mites and it's a powder so it can also be mixed to use as a spray for carpets and upholstery, so I can follow up with that. I also have another spray that actually removes the dust mites. So between these two products, I'm hoping to be able to get on top of things. Ideally, I should have wood floors and leather furniture, but it's hard to say if or when I'll be able to afford all of that. Plus it seems like leather furniture is so big, and I'm not. ;)

Edy

Postby Edy » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:10 pm

Allison wrote:
Laurie wrote:hole - hold

*sneaks onto the porch again* (okay. So I've been lurking/skimming a bit.)

What about "Handing over the Controls" or "In Control" or "Co-Pilot to Pilot" Okay. So those are all kind of dumb, cheesy, and/or cliche-ish. But it's all I can come up with. :)

Also...

hold --> held
(Okay. I admit. I really just wanted to participate in the game. But felt I had to have some other "excuse" to jump in. ;) )

Allison - you're so cute. You need no excuses, ever. 8)

Held ---> Weld ----oops, I see Laurie beat me to my post and "weld" is off the charts!
Help ---> Kelp!

By the way, that "fill in the blank" question (that Winston Churchill liked so well)? The answer is:
PARAPROSDOKIANS - at least that's what I was told. Now I should look up that word to see if it is accurate.
"Jesus Never Fails!" Love, Edy
The Gospel is such Good News even Christians don't believe it!
The Power of Story
We are the third temple! Acts 7:48, 1 Peter 2:4-5
Essentially Lutheran
My StoriesMy Blog:The Prairie Nightingale

Edy

Postby Edy » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:17 pm

Ta Da!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paraprosdokian

Examples
"Take my wife – please!" —Henny Youngman[8]
"He was at his best when the going was good." —Alistair Cooke on the Duke of Windsor[1]
"There but for the grace of God — goes God." —Winston Churchill[1]
"If I am reading this graph correctly — I'd be very surprised." —Stephen Colbert[9]
"You can always count on the Americans to do the right thing—after they have tried everything else." —Winston Churchill[9]
"On his feet he wore…blisters." —Aristotle[10]
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it." —Groucho Marx[11]
"A modest man, who has much to be modest about." —supposedly Winston Churchill, about Clement Attlee[11]
"I like going to the park and watching the children run around because they don't know I'm using blanks." —Emo Philips[11]
"If I could just say a few words… I'd be a better public speaker." —Homer Simpson[12]
"I haven't slept for ten days, because that would be too long." —Mitch Hedberg[3]
"She was good as cooks go, and as cooks go she went." —Saki[13]
"I sleep eight hours a day and at least ten at night." —Bill Hicks[3]
"I don't belong to an organized political party. I'm a Democrat." —Will Rogers[14]
"They don't call me big for nuttin' / All of a sudden" —The Notorious B.I.G.[15]
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:21 pm

Edy, I knew THAT! I use that word all the time! ( Not.) LOL
"I long, O I long to be holy, conformed to His will and His Word.
I long to be gentle and Christ-like; I long to be just like my Lord."

Mariane Holbrook

Edy

Postby Edy » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:49 pm

:lol: :superhappy :rolling :thumbs
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

Laurie

Postby Laurie » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:37 am

kelp - keep

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:55 am

:thumbs :thumbs :thumbs :thumbs :thumbs
FOR EDY:
:hugs2 :hugs2 :hugs2 :hugs2 :hugs2 :hugs2 :hugs2 :hugs2 :hugs2 :hugs2 :hugs2 :hugs2 :hugs2 :hugs2 :hugs2 :hugs2 :hugs2 :hugs2 :hugs2 :hugs2 :hugs2 :hugs2 :hugs2 :hugs2 :hugs2 :hugs2 :hugs2 :hugs2 :hugs2 :hugs2 :hugs2 :hugs2 :hugs2 :hugs2 :hugs2 :hugs2 :hugs2 :hugs2 :hugs2 :hugs2 :hugs2 :hugs2 :hugs2 :hugs2 :hugs2 :hugs2 :hugs2 :hugs2 :hugs2 :hugs2 :hugs2 :hugs2 :hugs2 :hugs2 :hugs2 :hugs2 :hugs2 :hugs2 :hugs2 :hugs2 :hugs2 :hugs2 :hugs2 :hugs2 :hugs2 :hugs2 :hugs2 :hugs2 :love2 :love2 :love2 :love2 :love2 :love2 :love2 :love2 :love2 :love2 :love2 :love2 :love2 :love2 :love2 :love2 :love2 :love2 :love2 :love2 :love2 :love2 :love2 :love2 :love2 :love2 :love2 :love2 :love2 :love2 :love2 :love2 :love2 :love2 :love2 :love2 :love2 :love2 :love2 :love2 :love2 :love2 :love2 :love2 :love2 :love2 :love2 :love2 :love2 :love2 :love2 :love2 :love2 :love2 :love2 :love2 :love2 :love2 :love2 :love2 :love2 :love2 :love2 :love2 :love2 :love2 :love2 :love2 :love2 :love2 :love2 :love2 :love2 :love2 :love2 :love2 :love2 :love2 :love2 :love2 :love2 :love2 :love2 :love2 :love2 :love2 :love2 :love2 :love2 :love2 :love2 :love2 :love2 :love2 :love2 :love2 :love2 :love2 :love2 :love2 :love2 :love2 :love2 :love2 :love2 :love2 :love2 :love2 :love2 :love2 :love2 :love2 :love2 :rolling :rolling :rolling :rolling :rolling :rolling :rolling :rolling :rolling :rolling :rolling :rolling :rolling :rolling :rolling :rolling :rolling :rolling :rolling :rolling :rolling :rolling :rolling :rolling :rolling :rolling :rolling :rolling :rolling :rolling :rolling :rolling :rolling :rolling :rolling :rolling :rolling :rolling :rolling :rolling :rolling :rolling :rolling :rolling :rolling :rolling :rolling :rolling :rolling :rolling :rolling :rolling :rolling :rolling :rolling :rolling :rolling :rolling :rolling :rolling :rolling :rolling :rolling :rolling :rolling :rolling :rolling :rolling :rolling :rolling

Mariane Holbrook

Verna

Postby Verna » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:22 am

Quick stop here
Edy, Can you say that word three times fast??

and Laurie--How about Stop! or a stop sign with the the word in it for your article?
Verna

A merry heart doeth good like a medicine...
Proverb 17:22

Facebook author page: Verna Cole Mitchell
http://www.magnificomanuscripts.com/

Edy

Postby Edy » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:38 pm

Keep --> Weep

BeachGrandma - I hope you didn't hurt yourself with all that laughing and hugging. I know I'm quite exhausted from it, myself! :lol:

Verna - No, if I tried I'm afraid my tongue would end up in a knot! 8)
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:00 pm

Edy wrote:

No, if I tried I'm afraid my tongue would end up in a knot! 8)

I'd sell tickets to see that, Edy.

:rolling :rolling :rolling :rolling :rolling :rolling :rolling :rolling :rolling :rolling :rolling

Mariane Holbrook

PreviousNext

Return to The Water Cooler