To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Southern Porch Extension

A place for general chat (non-writing related). Please keep political discussions to the relevant neighborhood forum.

Moderators: cori67, RedBaron, Shann

BeachGrandma
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: Southern Porch Extension

Postby BeachGrandma » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:33 pm

We're praying for you, sweetie, that soon you'll be back to your own self again and feeling chipper. Getting older is not a picnic, any way you look at it.

I'm waiting for the debate to begin so I'm catching up on some things. I hope you all will be watching and praying, too.

Hugs to all,

:grouphug3 :grouphug3 :grouphug3 :grouphug3 :grouphug3 :grouphug3 :grouphug3 :grouphug3 :grouphug3 :grouphug3 :grouphug3 :grouphug3 :grouphug3 :grouphug3 :grouphug3 :grouphug3
"Let us come before him with thanksgiving and extol him with music and song. For the LORD is the great God, the great King above all gods."

SING ALONG:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3dXCL34aEA

Mariane Holbrook

Laurie

Postby Laurie » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:53 pm

Carol, I've been watching for you and concerned about your absence from the porch. Is there anything you want to talk about - whether on the porch or privately?

We had a bushel of apples made into applesauce, dishes done and apple crisp ready to go into the oven by noon today. :) Getting to the end of my fall chores/projects. :)

I'll be watching the debate tonight. I saw the debate last week also. I despise all of the political ads on TV, the junk mail, and the phone calls, but I appreciate hearing from the candidates.

Carole L

Postby Carole L » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:38 pm

Laurie, are you looking for me?

I'm doing great! My sugar is dropping, almost down to normal. My acupuncturist has worked miracles with my back, that pain is gone, as well.

It's been a very busy time, tho. I'm involved in two Bible studies, in BSF we are studying Genesis, and then one of our pastors is doing a class studying the old testament thru maps. Just Tracking David and all of his campaigns has taken us three weeks to cover. It's VERY intense, takes 4-5 hours a week.

Also, we have a very dear friend from Texas who is having serious medical problems, we almost lost her. Her sugar dropped to 20! She was in critical condition for several days.

They are moving Johanna off the second floor to a private room. I don’t know how much longer she will remain in the hospital.
I don’t know when they will run the tests so she can eat. She is still very sick and while not needed all the care offered by the second floor, still has a long way to go. As most of you know not only does she have diabetes, but also pituitary and thyroid insufficiency. This means they have to primarily medicate against the pneumonia, but additionally monitor and support all the systems her body doesn’t.

They did say that after she leaves the hospital she will spend two to three weeks in a facility to help build up her strength.

So it is a long way to go, but Johanna has taken steps in the right direction.

Above is the latest email we have received about her.

Plus, another very dear friend from here at out new church has been hospitalized this week for severe depression. We have been traveling across town to see her several times.

And.... we had a serious announcement at church about a grievous sin that had been committed, calling for a resignation, and then asking the church to rec that person in love as a member. Loving the sinner while condemning the sin. It was heart wrenching, and so unexpected. It really took the wind out of our sails.

So..... it's been an extremely emotional roller coaster ride ride, one that is completely exhausting.

We are looking at trying to make the trip back to Austin, to see if we can lend any support to our friend and her husband there. But gas is so high, it will cost a fortune to go, and we don't know if we would actually be of any help. We don't want to be more of a burden than a help.

Bill will be qualifying for unemployment, so that is good, and will help to make the next couple of months easier, till he can get his SS restarted.

Watching this debate. It's a joke. Biden's elevator doesn't go all the way to the top. His marbles have rolled away.
Carole

Proud to be a 500 member.
I don't know the master plan, but I know the Master has a plan.

http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=34113

Laurie

Postby Laurie » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:14 pm

Carole, I'm glad to hear your sugar is getting back under control. Good that Bill can get unemployment until he can get back on SS. And what a lot of stuff going on with others you know. Goodness.

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:55 pm

Where have they gone? And, why did they leave?

Our neighborhood hasn't changed much during the past several years. Our back yard is pretty much the same semi-secluded, quiet, lakeshore property that we have enjoyed ever since moving here. Oh, the trees have grown taller, there is still very little boat traffic on the lake, and the neighborhood kids are not a problem. However, in spite of those things, the wildlife we have enjoyed over the years has disappeared at an alarming rate.

Several years ago turkeys and pheasants could be seen wandering through our back yard, but have been absent the past couple of years. Raccoons and wood chucks have not been seen lately, either. Rabbits were once quite numerous, but only one rabbit was observed this year. Deer and young fawns frequently rested beneath our backyard trees, but not this year. Occasionally, a red fox or coyote would be seen running along the shoreline in search of a meal, but they have disappeared, too. It's likely that fox and coyotes were responsible for a small reduction in some of the wildlife population, but not to the extent we have seen.

Also, each spring dozens of wood ducks would gather near the shoreline looking for nesting spots, but this year only one pair of wood ducks was seen there. Even the once plentiful mallard ducks were few in number this year. The population of geese has diminished as well. A couple pair of loons always nest on the lake, but this year there were no loons to be heard or seen. Some of our song birds were noticeably absent, too.

What has happened all of our wildlife? Something unusual is happening that we don't understand...but what?

Don
John 14:6
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"
http://faithwriters.com/article-details.php?id=41225

http://faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=18654

"The Israel Connection"
http://theisraelconnection.blogspot.com/

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

Edy

Postby Edy » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:52 pm

That does sound alarming, Don. The weather hasn't been that different, to drive them to more hospitable areas. You don't suppose politics has anything to do with it, do you? :shock:

Just today I was reading that Minnesota and some other "blue" states lost electoral votes (in favor or "red" states) following the latest census. The general population is apparently seeking a more hospitable environment. Minnesota tax policies hurting small businesses mean people here just don't stick around, fewer small businesses means fewer jobs, and so it goes.

But, I don't imagine the wild life has noticed the trend to take one's business elsewhere---do you think? I'm baffled, since your area sounds like a lovely place to spend the summer. 8)
"Jesus Never Fails!" Love, Edy
The Gospel is such Good News even Christians don't believe it!
The Power of Story
We are the third temple! Acts 7:48, 1 Peter 2:4-5
Essentially Lutheran
My StoriesMy Blog:The Prairie Nightingale

Verna

Postby Verna » Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:44 pm

A blessed Sunday to you all.

Don, I believe some of your wildlife have wandered south. We have about three bunnies, deer, squirrels, and a bunch of geese. This morning in the church parking lot, a group of geese were strutting around, just like they have no fear of automobiles, and the right of way must certainly be theirs. I think, though, a number of our birds have moved further south. Several weeks ago, our fat, selfish hummingbird left for parts unknown. She would hover over the hummingbird feeder most of the day, chasing away even an adventurous butterfly, seeking nectar from nearby flowers.

I am eagerly awaiting my box of my books to arrive, hopefully, before next Monday. If anyone is interested in a signed copy, I'll be happy to send you one (!2.00) to include mailing. You can contact me at dontfrightenthepansies@gmail.com. Paypal or checks will work, or you can always order one from Amazon or Barnes and Noble at $8.95.
Verna

A merry heart doeth good like a medicine...
Proverb 17:22

Facebook author page: Verna Cole Mitchell
http://www.magnificomanuscripts.com/

Laurie

Postby Laurie » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:16 pm

What an exciting time for you, Verna. :)

Laurie

Postby Laurie » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:58 pm

With every presidential election, I kind of feel like my intelligence is insulted by all this political stuff (from both parties). Like I'm too stupid to think for myself so I'm going to be swayed by a TV ad or a piece of junk mail. Or I'm going to vote for whoever can sling the most mud. Or I'm going to fall in love with the candidate whose volunteers pester me the most with phone calls. Twisted campaign methods in my book. It seems like such a waste of time and campaign dollars.

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:08 pm

Laurie wrote:With every presidential election, I kind of feel like my intelligence is insulted by all this political stuff (from both parties). Like I'm too stupid to think for myself so I'm going to be swayed by a TV ad or a piece of junk mail. Or I'm going to vote for whoever can sling the most mud. Or I'm going to fall in love with the candidate whose volunteers pester me the most with phone calls. Twisted campaign methods in my book. It seems like such a waste of time and campaign dollars.

I am also sick to death of campaign garbage hitting us from every direction and being stuffed down our throats. I don't contribute $.01 to any political party, nor do I participate in political polls.

Yesterday a friend sent a note to me (and many others) saying that we must pray to select righteous representation when we vote. I responded as follows:

We must pray for guidance whenever we vote to select our leaders. However, there will never be "righteous representation" among the electorate or anyone else. The Bible says, "There is none righteous, no, not one" (Romans 3:10). Knowing that, we must attempt to select candidates who we believe will most likely uphold sound principles while leading our nation...even if the candidates might be pagans.

On another note, it's my understanding that many Obama supporters are demanding that tele-prompters be made available for Obama's use during his next debate. If that would be allowed, Romney should cancel the debate and be declared the winner by default.

Don
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

Laurie

Postby Laurie » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:27 pm

Don, I agree with you on the tele-prompter thing. Good grief!

I've never contributed to any political party, either.

I actually felt like I could relax a little bit this weekend. That's really unusual for me. Felt good.

With fall projects/chores just about behind me, I need to focus on business related matters this week. I'd like to get some things done before my mom's farm closing. We don't have a date for that yet, but it should be fairly soon. Then there will be a list of things to take care of. Then we'll have my dad's estate wrapped up.

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:12 pm

Don, there is information on Google that the question of whether or not Obama should have been permitted use of teleprompters was fair or not was raised immediately after the first debate. But I couldn't find anything that said his handlers were going to request use of the teleprompters for the 2nd debate. Do you have any link to your information? I'd love to know.
"Let us come before him with thanksgiving and extol him with music and song. For the LORD is the great God, the great King above all gods."

SING ALONG:

Mariane Holbrook

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:18 am

BeachGrandma wrote:Don, there is information on Google that the question of whether or not Obama should have been permitted use of teleprompters was fair or not was raised immediately after the first debate. But I couldn't find anything that said his handlers were going to request use of the teleprompters for the 2nd debate. Do you have any link to your information? I'd love to know.

I read that a few days ago, but don't remember where. I have spent the past hour looking for it with no success. I'll keep looking.

Don

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:20 am

I found that before using a newly-prescribed med, that it relieves my mind to run it through a drug interaction checker. One of the easiest ones to use is:

http://www.healthline.com/druginteractions?reset=t

If you use one that you particularly like, I'd love for you to post the link. :thankssign :thankssign :thankssign :thankssign :thankssign :thankssign :thankssign

SING ALONG:

Mariane Holbrook

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:44 pm

Thanks for posting that link, Mariane. I put it into my favorites file for future reference. Believe me, we have enough prescriptions for different meds around here to choke a horse, and I would like to know how they interact.

Here's another question concerning meds:

With each new prescription a patient information sheet is given telling about that med including its possible side effects. If 10 different prescribed meds are taken for a certain condition, and if at least 6 of them list XYZ as a possible side effect, then, wouldn't the odds of the XYZ side effect actually occurring also increase...perhaps by a factor of 6 or more?

By the way, the doctor is insistent that all the meds are necessary...and denies that the cause of the disturbing side effect could be from the meds. In my opinion, they would rather run all kinds of expensive tests to search for another cause...and prescribe another med to fix the problem.

Doctors are trained to intimidate, prescribe, cut, and bill out the job.

Don

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

PreviousNext

Return to The Water Cooler