To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Pacific Coast Rest-Stop

A place for general chat (non-writing related). Please keep political discussions to the relevant neighborhood forum.

Moderators: cori67, RedBaron, Shann

lauralnm
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Re: Pacific Coast Rest-Stop

Postby lauralnm » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:30 am

There is a conference?!?! I am going to the health semiar tomorrow at the puyallup one that my trainer is doing with the Fitness Manager Ernest. But did know there were conferences. I would like to meet up with you too, but I don't have a license so planning things like meeting up with someone isn't easy.

Tiara: I had too many things I was talking about at once. I was speaking of the Faithwriters Conference. I'd love to come your way. I must tell you though, I am directionally challenged (my husband says I'm directionally dysfunctional) but I'm willing to try. We'll continue this conversation another time as I need to get ready for Sunday School and Church. blessings... laura

JesusPuppy
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Postby JesusPuppy » Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:15 pm

Allison wrote:(Feel free to smile and nod and/or pat me on the head gently to calm me down... I'm just one super excited St. Louis Cardinals fan right now. That's all.)

::Giggles while patting Allison on the head like a puppy.::

Thats OK Short-stuff, we all have to get excited about something now and then. :lol:

And Terror.. what's wrong with George or Fred? They are good strong names. Then to so is Spot but... oh well. Simon for the first one is ok, but the second guy looks more like a Mat. One of the girls at the store has a boyfriend named Mat and he looks just like that guy.

#14 on my list... actually watching someone slip on a banana peel. (Has anyone actually seen that happen? Besides on TV where anything can happen...)
....JesusPuppy (or just call me Pup) Image

And just for the record, I am a Male.

"I am a writer, I do NOT lie... I fictionalise." JP

"The Lord Bless thee, and keep thee.." Num. 6:24

JesusPuppy Profile

Cypress Times, online Christian news paper.

Shann

Postby Shann » Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:09 pm

Allison wrote:Okay, Pacific Coast Rest-Stop, specifically California, and even MORE specifically, San Francisco... Get ready for the Comeback Cardiac Cardinals, who will be bringing the spirit of all of Cardinals nation with them...

(Feel free to smile and nod and/or pat me on the head gently to calm me down... I'm just one super excited St. Louis Cardinals fan right now. That's all.)

I'll pat you on the head if you'll comfort me for being a Cubs fan for the last 15 years or so! :mrgreen:
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

Shann

Postby Shann » Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:23 pm

JesusPuppy wrote:What..? You didn't get one in? How dare you. you should be ashamed. :roll:

:tongue

By the way guess what happens in 15 more posts? :wink:

Just sitting here listening to old music and watching it rain. Nothing really miraculous, just the start of winter. Maybe in six months we will have some more dry days.. when the sun comes out for more that a few hours. :lol:

I have of late deside to make a list. A special list of "100 odd things that never happen in my life." Odd like.. (and this one actually happened once) the seven year old that came up and said she wanted to marry me when she got older. I didn't have the heart to tell my niece that couldn't happen. :lol:

Most will be things that HAVE happened to others, like a friend that met up with his long lost highschool girl friend, after he had been dating "Her" daughter for three months. :lol: (poor guy)

Any help with odd things is greatly welcome... i could use the extra laughs.

First I am ashamed and horrified and hiding out in fear of the aliens who track naggers who don't complete what they are nagging about. Does the fact that my baby will be getting married in less than 2 weeks count as a good excuse? (She was the one I wanted to introduce you to until I found out you're an old goat! (hey you're still a year older than me so old goat it is!)

Second what happens in 15 posts? It doesn't appear to be anything super exciting such as post 111,111 or 555,555 or like I wanted 1111 on 11-11-11 at precisely 11:11

Third odd things that have never happened in your life... someone called you "Here, kitty, kitty kitty" ? Oh wait Becky did that :mrgreen:

How about pulling on the pants you wore yesterday for just a bit and while walking across the school bus parking lot your undies and pantyhose started trailing out of your pant leg while all the male bus drivers watched laughing? (That did happen to MOM)

Or you decide to wear the free T-shirt you got in the mail but have to call your daughter who lives on your school bus route to meet you at the bus stop with another T-shirt so you can change the one that announces in huge letters across your chest that Reese's Peanut Butter Cups Two great tastes in one! (Yes that happened to Mom too hmm I'm beginning to see why she died at such a young age) :( :mrgreen:

The sock falling out of my pant leg in Junior High happened to me. Someone pointed it out and I very nonchalantly picked it up and said OH I'd been looking for that! :oops: (And that is why I wear matching undies) Thank Goodness it was a sock and not underwear.

Did any of those tickle your funny bone?
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

Shann

Postby Shann » Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:33 pm

As for names for your characters I'm with Becky about the Mckenzie being his last name and then his nickname could still be Ken and his first name Nick which could be a double dose of picking because Nicky could also be a girls' name along with McKenzie and then through in his middle name to be something like Robin or Terry

Now you didn't suggest these but if I were to have a baby today I think I'd name him Griffith (not Griffin) I like names that are last name like Parker, Conner, Hunter, Ryder, Camden (who is my character Wrigley's brother) Cooper, Fabian, Hayden (another name that could be either sex) of course I like the name Quinten too although when Mom called him Quinny I called my friends at the hospital and begged them to tear up his birth certificate until I came up with a better name) Finn or Phineas but I have been hearing a lot of Finn
Shann

Shann's Profile

lauralnm
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Postby lauralnm » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:01 pm

Tiara... just had a thought. My maiden name is "Trent," which I find to be a very strong man's name. In fact, it is my son's middle name and his son's middle name. Just getting my two-cents worth in. blessings... laura

JoyAnn

Postby JoyAnn » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:49 pm

Thanks everyone for the feedback and input.

Rebecky wrote:Tazzy, I think the first guy looks like a Simon and the second one looks like a Nicholas. Have you made last names for them yet? Maybe Nicholas could be Nicholas McKenzie (assuming that sounds right like it goes together) or it could be his middle name or something. Actually if he was named McKenzie he could go by the nickname Mac or Mack but that's up to you.

Personally, I think any of the names you chose would be good! :)

Yeah the first one is NO DOUBT Simon, I can't see him as something else. (I wish I knew what his name really is though lol.) I like the way the sounds Nicholas McKenzie, but not sure about it and I hadn't pick out last names yet either so that is something to think about. And there is a reason I chose Ken as the nickname. I like the name McKenzie for both genders, and the nickname Kenzie, however that is girly for a boy. So I don't like when they shorten McKenzie to Mac or Mack or even Mick, it doesn't look right or sound right to me especially is it isn't spelled MacKenzie, and I don't like that spelling lol. I also couldn't picture that guy as Mac, or someone calling him that. So Ken was manly and I could totally see him as that.

Jesus Puppy wrote:
And Terror.. what's wrong with George or Fred? They are good strong names. Then to so is Spot but... oh well. Simon for the first one is ok, but the second guy looks more like a Mat. One of the girls at the store has a boyfriend named Mat and he looks just like that guy.

This isn't going to be a book where everyone gets named after characters in a favorite books series of mine. I am not naming them after Harry Potter characters. plus I've never liked those names. And Spot? they aren't dogs!! hehe It is funny that you say he looks like a Matt, because oddly his name is Matthew, I didn't think be looked like a Matt or Matthew though...lol

Shann wrote:As for names for your characters I'm with Becky about the Mckenzie being his last name and then his nickname could still be Ken and his first name Nick which could be a double dose of picking because Nicky could also be a girls' name along with McKenzie and then through in his middle name to be something like Robin or Terry

Now you didn't suggest these but if I were to have a baby today I think I'd name him Griffith (not Griffin) I like names that are last name like Parker, Conner, Hunter, Ryder, Camden (who is my character Wrigley's brother) Cooper, Fabian, Hayden (another name that could be either sex) of course I like the name Quinten too although when Mom called him Quinny I called my friends at the hospital and begged them to tear up his birth certificate until I came up with a better name) Finn or Phineas but I have been hearing a lot of Finn

Well if is first name isn't McKenzie then why would he go by Ken? He wouldn't lol and some of those names I actually like, I like Conner (a freind has twin brothers Conner and Collin) Griffin (though you said Griffith I don't like that I like Griffin lol), Hayden (named a previous character that), Parker (consider this name for them actually), Hunter (one of my nephews middle names) Ryder (WAITING for the day when the right character comes along for this name) and I like Quinn but not Quinten...And Finn (which I had consider for Simon and Autumn's baby boy because it is popular right now) And I too like the last names that can be first names. Just not when their last name can also be a first name normally, or if it is like the same name.. examples Michael Johns, Phil Phillips...drop the s in Johns and it is a common first name, with a common first name, that could also be a last name...and Phil Phillips..really?

lauralnm wrote:Tiara... just had a thought. My maiden name is "Trent," which I find to be a very strong man's name. In fact, it is my son's middle name and his son's middle name. Just getting my two-cents worth in. blessings... laura

I ABSOLUTLY LOVE that trend..naming your child with you mother's maiden name whether first or middle. Though I have seen it in a show before where is was tacky because EVERYONE did it. three different couples all named their first born with the mother's maiden name. Haley and Nathan named their son James Lucas Scott (James was the mother's maiden name and Lucas was his uncle and Scott is their last name) Then Lucas and Peyton named their daughter Sawyer Brooke Scott (Sawyer is Peyton's maiden name and Brooke is her best friend) And then Brooke and Julian names their twin boys Davis and Jude (Davis is Brooke's maiden name) that was cheesy having all your characters do the same thing..so I was thinking of only having one of my characters do that. And I planning on Winter and Nicholas/Mckenzie do that with their child.
~Jazzy~Tazzy~
~Tazzarina~Terror~
~Terrorizer~Princess~
~Spunky~PopTart~JoyBells~

"Oh, I KNOW I'm not confused."

"Yeah, I am a Moron."

In His Love and Mercy, Tiara Joy

Terrorizer41192@hotmail.com
(I can't even get into this one, so if you sent anything to it I won't get it....)
TiaraJoy's Profile

lauralnm
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Postby lauralnm » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:14 am

Sounds like a plan, Tiara. You obviously know your characters and what you want of them. I like that! Here's to your book continuing on the path you have for it and it being a HUGE success! blessings... laura

Shann

Postby Shann » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:17 am

Rebecky wrote:
Shann wrote:As for names for your characters I'm with Becky about the Mckenzie being his last name and then his nickname could still be Ken and his first name Nick which could be a double dose of picking because Nicky could also be a girls' name along with McKenzie and then through in his middle name to be something like Robin or Terry

Well if is first name isn't McKenzie then why would he go by Ken?

[*] Actually what made me think of him going by Ken is because I had a friend whose last name was Mathieu, her brother's nickname was Matt. I've also seen that an older sibling may grab the more common nickname from their last name like in this case Mac but because little brother wants his own identity he goes by the name Ken or Kenz.

Often in High school and college a lot of guys get a nickname based from their last name (unless your last name is Hall-LochmannVanBennekom :mrgreen: though one of hubby's nicknames was Alphabet ) which is why Quinten's nickname is Q. Before he was born I believed I'd probably call him Quin so I went with the irregular spelling and pronunciation. In fact I had someone tell me I was pronouncing his name wrong. She insisted it should be QUENT --in (rhymes with went) the T can barely be heard. I tried to set her straight and tell her his name is Quin-TEN but she insisted over and over that I was incorrect! Not only was I pronouncing it wrong but I was putting the accent on the second syllable instead of the first! I've had several people tell me I spell it wrong. (insert eye roll) We joked over the years that on his birthday we would change his name so he was Quin-two, Quin-three and so on.

A lot of people (at least in this area do a couple of things to a name. One of Lyd's nickname is Lidz and rarely Lizard but she also gets a fair share of Lidderz. The only 2 people in the world you can get by calling her Lyddie is her Daddy and her grandmother.

With Emily I thought I'd call her Emmy until I heard someone say it and wanted to barf. My mom came up with the idea of "M" I really liked that. Many Emily's are called Em but just plain M is a bit rarer. Mom would put the quotation marks around it but I don't.

I wanted to name Lyd Esther but everyone had such a visceral reaction to it, claiming it was an old lady's name. I tried to reason that the old ladies were once babies but still people dreaded it. In fact my friends in OB threatened to change it on the birth certificate if I named her that and they were just about crazy enough that I didn't want to have to pay to get it changed back. Plus I would have likely called her "S" and the initials S and M don't go well together and then add Q to the mix and I could see mean girls drooling all over the world. Next was Hayley but my husband kept saying Hail-ee. I figured if her own father couldn't get it right then everyone would mess it up.

What with my name being Shann rarely does anyone get it right on the first try and some on the 4, 5 or 6 time. I have had arguments with people that my name is really Shannon and Shann just a nickname. In fact, in Junior High I was called to the principal's office and scolded for continuing to put my nickname on my homework. I think my mom had to come in and settle the debate.

She knew a lady whose name was Shirley Ann and her nickname was Shann. Mom thought it was super pretty and asked the lady if she would mind. The lady (who was murdered by her husband when I was about 9 or 10) gave Mom her blessing. She wanted to name my middle name after my Grandma but G-ma said that it would be cruel to saddle the kid with 2 weird names. G-ma's name was Arla. Though I think it's pretty, it doesn't really flow as well-- Shann Arla or Shann Marie which sounds better?

Okay I'm done with my thesis about names. Wait--almost done! I've had this idea for an online company for several years now but my husband thinks no one would pay for it. But I want to help people come up with different names. I'd get a website and offer a free questionaire that would include things like Do you want a traditional name or something different? What is your maiden name? Do you have any family names? Would you like to honor someone? And so on. Then for something like $5 I would come up with 5 girls and 5 boys or 10 of the same sex (including middle names) Then for an additional $3 bucks or so I would print out an 8x10 certificate that describes the origin of the name, its meaning along with expected personality traits and then they could frame it and keep it for their baby.

I have the meaning and personality traits of each of my kids and it's kind of freaky how well they matched those traits. And it wasn't traits that could relate to anyone. Like for Emily she matched 9 out of 10 traits but if I were to use those same traits for Lydia or Q they would only match 2 or 3. I still have their names on my wall. Maybe I'll find Andy's name and frame that and give them both as a wedding present. And since Andy's last name is one that could be a first name maybe I'll do that as well.

I did find out that Emily is not keeping or even hyphenating her last name. Sigh I can't imagine why. When I told Mom I was keeping my maiden name she had a cow and insisted I was only doing it to be different. I told her if I wanted to be different I'd change to LochmannVanBennekom! Though with so many hyphenated names I wonder if people would start doing that Lydia could become Hall-LochmannVanBennekom-Van Durme-Smith! talk about a mouthful. For the record the reason I kept my maiden name is because Emily (who was 8) didn't want to be the only Hall in the family so when Chris adopted her we changed it to Hall_Loch.... and then as an anniversary present I changed mine to Hall- Loch... too except NYS Nursing Board must have thought it was a joke because even though I tried several times to change it they refused so my name on my nursing license is Shann Hall so those in the medical community know me as that.

This was going to be just a quick howdy--no wonder I don't get anything done!

Off to consider a story for blessing. I have 2 ideas neither is too far out of the box so I'll have to see which one works out better.
Shann

Shann's Profile

deejay

Postby deejay » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:36 pm

There are a couple of websites I consider to be useful in coming up with names--I tend to go by meanings--for characters. One is www.behindthename.com; it has a secondary site for surnames, www.behindthesurname.com . It has a random renamer that's fun, there are lists of most popular names by country and decade, and oodles of variations. They even have name themes, which is pretty cool. Check it out! There's also www.babynames.com, which has fewer features--though there is a note for writers. You can hover over a name to see its origin and meaning. Names for girls are in pink, names for boys are in blue, and unisex names are in green, if I remember right. Great sites, both of them.

JoyAnn

Postby JoyAnn » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:37 am

deejay wrote:There are a couple of websites I consider to be useful in coming up with names--I tend to go by meanings--for characters. One is http://www.behindthename.com; it has a secondary site for surnames, http://www.behindthesurname.com . It has a random renamer that's fun, there are lists of most popular names by country and decade, and oodles of variations. They even have name themes, which is pretty cool. Check it out! There's also http://www.babynames.com, which has fewer features--though there is a note for writers. You can hover over a name to see its origin and meaning. Names for girls are in pink, names for boys are in blue, and unisex names are in green, if I remember right. Great sites, both of them.
I go on Babynames.com ALL the time lol and I have been on other sites a few times for Surnames but not for first names. Though when I am looking for last names I go here http://names.mongabay.com/most_common_surnames.htm they have most common last names, most common first names for boys and girls and then it even breaks it down to sate and zip code and there is also anstery listings. it is a really good one to go too.
~Jazzy~Tazzy~
~Tazzarina~Terror~
~Terrorizer~Princess~

"Yeah, I am a Moron."

(I can't even get into this one, so if you sent anything to it I won't get it....)
TiaraJoy's Profile

Sparrow

Postby Sparrow » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:26 am

My dad's name is Lynn and he gets all those arguments, too. I've had a telemarketer argue with me that Lynn Wiley had to be a female because it was spelled L-Y-N-N! and she wouldn't believe me when I said it was my dad. He gets the "Oh, that must be a nickname for Lenard (or Leonardo Lindon), right?" Or they hear it as Glenn.

Jay, struggling with swallowing must be awfully scary. I've been praying for you. You said it's a little better? At Bible study today seemed like you were still having a bit of trouble with it though. Are you having to cut out any favorite foods? That would be like throwing salt on the wound. Hugs.

I'm finally starting to pull out of my two-month-long fatigue flare a little, so I've been able to work on formatting Christine Ramey's devotional book. Still not doing any of my own writing, but it's a start.

Well, tomorrow is the big day that determines my financial future... I have the disability hearing at 1:00 PM. My lawyer talked to my specialist on the phone and the dr wrote a letter to the judge, so things seem to be going better. My boss at the college wrote a really good letter, too, that should be helpful.
Amy Michelle Wiley
Check out my booklet, Bring Your Writing to Life: a writer's guide to "show; don't tell". Buy it here.
My Website, Sparrow's Flight

JesusPuppy

Postby JesusPuppy » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:04 am

(Weird internet day.. lost me post before it could go through.)

I had said...

I would write a letter for you but I don't think it would count for much. Definitely in pray for you though and hope all will go well.

One of the ladies from work is going in to surgary today sometime, not sure when though. From what she had told me yesterday it was for a cancerous growth the they had found on her intestines. Her name is Tami. She told me she has given it to Lord for the outcome, and seemed in good spirits about it all.

Today seems another blah day here. Rained most of the night, and still overcast... in other words... the normal start to winter on the NorthWest Coast. :roll:

:heehee

Terror... how about Bob? Bob is a good name. So is Festus. :wink:
....JesusPuppy (or just call me Pup) Image

And just for the record, I am a Male.

"I am a writer, I do NOT lie... I fictionalise." JP

"The Lord Bless thee, and keep thee.." Num. 6:24

JesusPuppy Profile

Cypress Times, online Christian news paper.

Rebecky

Postby Rebecky » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:33 pm

So i feel like its my fault for why my parents didn't get invited to my cousins wedding. I mean I know she doesn't like me at all and never really has and yeah its a slap in the face that I didn't get invited (but considering how she's always treated me i'm not shocked) but why not invite my parents? Maybe she was afraid I'd come too if they were invited.

Anyway... the two cousins that always disliked me and bullied me is no longer on my facebook and I've decided they aren't my cousins or family anymore. Which they kind of never were anyway since they're adopted and considering how they treated me... thats not family. and my one Aunt isn't my "Aunt" to me anymore either. She's done enough and doesn't deserve to be my family anymore especially considering that she just gets my cousins to treat me the way they do and she bad mouths me to everyone else. I'm done with them.
Dum Spiro Spero

JoyAnn

Postby JoyAnn » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:06 pm

JesusPuppy wrote::heehee

Terror... how about Bob? Bob is a good name. So is Festus. :wink:

Bob is one of the most grossest names ever! that and Billy...so you could just imagine how much a hate Billy Bob Thorton's name lol..and Festus really? you orny son of a gun!
~Jazzy~Tazzy~
~Tazzarina~Terror~
~Terrorizer~Princess~

"Yeah, I am a Moron."

TiaraJoy's Profile

PreviousNext

Return to The Water Cooler