To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

The New Guy Writing Fiction

If Fiction is your forte, this is the forum for you. This is the place to share information and get help on the road to writing the next great novel.

Moderators: itsjoanne, Sparrow, RedBaron

Accord64
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Re: The New Guy Writing Fiction

Postby Accord64 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:40 am

Arpy wrote:I have one going right now which should only really end up about 65,000 words (if current trends continue) but which I've re-started over seven times. And reading what I wrote on it three years ago has the same effect on me. Except it's not so much the preaching as the over-all amateur sound of the style.

My early writing style left a lot to be desired too. But to be fair, the jury is still out on how much I've improved... :lol:

My second novel will top out at just under 50,000 words. I'm hoping a faster read will help make it a bit more attractive to readers.

Sparrow wrote:That's so fun to have family pictures on the front.

Actually, it's just having a family member who's a photographer. But it's still fun to be able to tap into family talent and showcase it.

Shaleen
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Postby Shaleen » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:02 am

Hey Amy,

I need your help. I wrote a short children's book called Sally and Alley: An Adventure. It's in the critique circle. I haven't received any responses, and have no idea as to where to go from here. I've already started the second book in the series called The Haunted Barn. I'm starting to think they may end up a collection of children's stories, but had rather they be short books. They're aimed at parents who can read them to young and young readers can read them for themselves. I don't know what to do next other than write.

I'm serious about writing, but due to an exhausting job, I pretty much work and sleep so I don't get to work on my writing as often as I would like. And that is pretty much my reason for not catching the challenges or writing opportunities on this website. I'm afraid some think I'm just going through a phase. The book can be found at Sonlightcrossing@wordpress.com. Thank you.

Sparrow

Postby Sparrow » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:22 pm

Hi Shaleen, We have had trouble with the critique circle not getting enough critiques and we're trying to figure out how to help boost that. Sorry you haven't had any help yet. I found an old thread where I answered a similar question that you may find helpful: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=35803&p=507695#p507695

I'll go answer your email, too. :)
Amy Michelle Wiley
Check out my booklet, Bring Your Writing to Life: a writer's guide to "show; don't tell". Buy it here.
My Website, Sparrow's Flight

jaeblakney
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)

Postby jaeblakney » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:57 am

Yup, you sound a lot like me. Self-published a Christian novel and wrote a Christian movie script. Now I'm working on the type of fiction C S Lewis called "benignly Christian". Gee, I hope that was his quote and not my father's!

Faithwriters is a great place for Christian support, of course. Have you checked out NaNoWriMo.org? I've met a lot of Christian writers there, including some very serious ones with good writing skill.

Previous

Return to Fiction Forum