To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Pacific Coast Rest-Stop

A place for general chat (non-writing related). Please keep political discussions to the relevant neighborhood forum.

Moderators: cori67, RedBaron, Shann

Allison
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: Pacific Coast Rest-Stop

Postby Allison » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:43 pm

So I had my final cortisone injection today before surgery in February.... I'm hoping it lasts until at least late December, so I can still get around at Urbana 2012 (InterVarsity's missions conference) well. I had to kind of laugh at my appointment today... In addition to the doctor, there was a fellow (maybe? Not a resident and I don't think she was a "full" orthopedic doctor), a resident and a "medical student." (meaning he's not in his residency, fellowship, or anything else, I'd assume.) Anyone want to guess what they let the "medical student" do?

Put on the bandaid and lower the exam table. :lol:

P.S. I apologize for my overuse of parentheses.
Isaiah 40:30-31 (NIV)

JesusPuppy

Postby JesusPuppy » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:45 am

Well... I guess they have to start somewhere in their practice of medicine. Seems to me a good safe place to start. I mean really if they done know how to put on a bandaid right, maybe they shouldn't be allowed to do surgary either. :lol:
....JesusPuppy (or just call me Pup) Image

And just for the record, I am a Male.

"I am a writer, I do NOT lie... I fictionalise." JP

"The Lord Bless thee, and keep thee.." Num. 6:24

JesusPuppy Profile

Cypress Times, online Christian news paper.

Rebecky

Postby Rebecky » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:12 am

I worked yesterday and it was C-O-L-D! :brrr

We were able to go outside in the morning despite it being cold and a bit wet but by the time it got to be close enough to 11 Mom was like "I'm cold, I'm going in" lol
So we took all 7 of her little 2 year olds back inside.

Speaking of those kids, they are smart little cookies. Mom has these flash cards with colors and shapes that she does with them during learning time and those cards has shapes like cube, cylinder, arch, pentagon, octagon, hexagon... and they can usually get them. I mean I didn't learn what a octagon or hexagon was until closer to middle school not when I was barely 2 years old.

There was one girl who cracks me up and she's moved to a different room now but almost every time she gets asked what day it is she says "Tooooooooooos dayy".

Well anyway... today is laundry day. Tomorrow I work again and then I have the rest of the week off. I can't wait for Friday and the weekend.
Dum Spiro Spero

lauralnm
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Postby lauralnm » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:31 am

Good morning all! Getting ready to start my day, although I've been up since 4:45 a.m. It is now 6:25 and in about 15 minutes I'm off to get my granddaughter to school. I'm trying to prioritize my schedule on a weekly basis and see what I have left at the end of the week yet to do. I decided it is the only way I can possibly get anything done.

Allison, you are too funny! I LOVE your comments about the medical student. I remember when I had my second child and needed iron. Two nurses came in to put "the needle" into my hand. The older of the two nurses advised the other was a student. After about five tries, the older nurse finally put the needle into my hand. I had a HUGE bruise on that hand for a very long time, but I wasn't upset. Like Pup said, they gotta start somewhere.

Haven't gotten my entry into the Challenge yet; I am having to ponder the topic this time longer than usual. Not that nothing funny has ever happened to me; my brain just isn't working this week and I LOVE THE CHALLENGE!!!

That's all for now; will try to catch up with you all soon. blessings... laura

Shann

Postby Shann » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:14 pm

Hey Allison I couldn't help notice the Inter-Varisity reference. My son was talking about going to that too but now I don't think he is. He was quite involved in the UB Inter-Varsity and was quoted several times in the National News when there was a big "scandal" at University of Buffalo campus. It was great practice for what he will deal with now at Divinity School and later as a minister.

Funny about the medical student too. Hmm maybe that's an idea for a challenge story, well not that but when I was working in OB I'd been the only RN on during the night shift and I was super busy and had 3 labor patients and a life and death c-section. Finally at the very end of my shift a lady who was having her 4th or 5th baby was really annoyed because she had been laboring all night and her other deliveries were fast but she watched three other babies be born. Plus I was so busy so didn't spend as much time with her as I'd have liked. Finally at the end of the 12 hour shift she had her baby and I went to give her a shot and I always say "This is to help you not bleed so much." But I was exhausted and slurred my words and said this will help you not to BREED too much!"
The doctor yelled my name, the mother gave me a dirty look and the dad said "They have a shot for that?" Maybe it was one of those you had to be there stories but I suspect Leah might appreciate it.

I haven't been nagging too much about everyone writing a story because like Laura I have no idea at all. And I'm too tired and stressed about worrying that my baby is getting married in just over 2 weeks. sniff
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

Allison

Postby Allison » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:58 pm

Shann, he NEEDS to go to Urbana, if at all possible. It is AMAZING! Worshiping God with 15,000 to 18,000 fellow believers in multiple languages and ringing in the New Year by sharing communion with 15,000 to 18,000 believes is simply amazing and something that shouldn't be missed. I wish there were words to adequately describe Urbana, but really, there are not! I love to say it is a glimpse of heaven, because I truly believe it is! People from all different tribes and tongues worshiping together, and learning about how to carry out God's global mission. It is AWEsome. In the literal sense of the word.

On a completely different note...

I am so thankful for God's protection this morning! As I was heading down the highway this morning, I was in the right line. There was an exit lane that was stopped/slowed, but one driver didn't notice... Came down the exit lane too fast, and swerved at the last second to try to avoid hitting the car in front of him/her. Well, he/she hit the right rear of the other car, sending it across my lane right in front of my car and across three more lanes of traffic, and the car came to rest sideways across the two left lanes. I was able to slow down in time, as were all the other cars traveling down the highway. I am still SHOCKED that there were not more cars involved, and VERY thankful that I was not involved, other than seeing it first hand!

Psalm 32:7 (NASB) You are my hiding place; You preserve me from trouble;
You surround me with songs of deliverance.

lauralnm
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Postby lauralnm » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:13 am

I got a giggle out of your story, Shann, about the woman who was having her 4th or 5th child. Now that would be something to write a Challenge on!

Allison, my heart stopped as I read your explanation of the event that occurred right in front of your eyes. I would have been shaken to the core, but once calm I would have reallized how great our God is to have kept that accident from being any worse than it was. Praise the Lord!

Need to start focusing on a very busy day; kids to take to school, pick up, lunch with my granddaughter, the usual household chores, writing, dinner preparation, soul winning, getting granddaughter to church, me to church... whew, I'm tired already and haven't even started my day. It reminds me of what I always say... I have things to do, people to see, places to go, and babies to kiss. I am praying it will be a day of peace and productivity. God bless you all and have a good one! blessings, laura

jaybird
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Postby jaybird » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:15 pm

Allison what's wrong with Parentheses? (it's a hug) ((hugs))

Shann, that story about "They have a shot for that?" cracked me up, it was so funny!

Amy, I don't remember the question I asked, lol. That's cool, an ALS wedding!

Don't worry folks (you may, means you care) but I was having swallowing difficulty (well, it's been a progressive issue for years) - my swallow is ok now, but I'll be careful and choose soft food. I got some input from my dietition. I have an option of an extra can of ensure or isource in my g-tube (I get 3 cans at night).
I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me. Philippians 4:13

"Why sweat the small stuff when it's really not a big stink" - my quote

http://www.journalhome.com/ThingsToShare/

Shann

Postby Shann » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:06 pm

I do worry Jay and I do care. I can't imagine how horrible that feeling would be so I'm glad it is better and your dietitian has some helpful advice for you.

Becky I hope you're out having a nice weekend with your friend.

I've been reading some challenge stories. I didn't submit this time. It would have been a perfect opportunity for you all to have submitted something and then you could tease me for a very long time about my nagging for everyone to submit but I ruined the opportunity. You guys missed out! Maybe next time I nag...
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

JesusPuppy

Postby JesusPuppy » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:32 pm

What..? You didn't get one in? How dare you. you should be ashamed. :roll:

:tongue

By the way guess what happens in 15 more posts? :wink:

Just sitting here listening to old music and watching it rain. Nothing really miraculous, just the start of winter. Maybe in six months we will have some more dry days.. when the sun comes out for more that a few hours. :lol:

I have of late deside to make a list. A special list of "100 odd things that never happen in my life." Odd like.. (and this one actually happened once) the seven year old that came up and said she wanted to marry me when she got older. I didn't have the heart to tell my niece that couldn't happen. :lol:

Most will be things that HAVE happened to others, like a friend that met up with his long lost highschool girl friend, after he had been dating "Her" daughter for three months. :lol: (poor guy)

Any help with odd things is greatly welcome... i could use the extra laughs.
....JesusPuppy (or just call me Pup) Image

And just for the record, I am a Male.

"I am a writer, I do NOT lie... I fictionalise." JP

"The Lord Bless thee, and keep thee.." Num. 6:24

JesusPuppy Profile

Cypress Times, online Christian news paper.

JoyAnn

Postby JoyAnn » Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:47 am

Okay, so I have been trying to find names that fit some of my supporting male characters and I have figure out two different names for the two nameless guys and so I thought I would get some feedback from you guys to help me make my choice.

The first guy is Autumn's husband, a man in his late 20's early 30's that is kind, loving, funny, strong willed man. When Autumn becomes obsessed with the guy she "saw" at the funeral he becomes upset and worried. Because she is so drunk with the idea of "this man" being her father, that he isn't even sure was really there. It cause trouble in their marriage because he beings to wonder who she is with or "after" however once Autumn finds out who the man is and her husband knows the truth they repair their relationship and he feels sorry for not trusting her and believing her and encouraging her to find the man. So this is what he kind of looks like...the firs one with curly hair in the dark blue. And they names I like for him is either Simon which means: to be heard or Nathan, meaning: He gave. Nickname would Sy/Si for Simon or Nate for Nathan. Oh and he and Autumn have a little girl named Maddison and a baby boy named Wyatt.

89792357.jpg
Simon or Nathan
89792357.jpg (31.41 KiB) Viewed 1022 times

And the second guy is Winter's newlywed husband, he is sweet, romantic but very business like, a very goal oriented person and family very important to him. And he is a few years younger than Autumn's husband. When he and Winter are on their honeymoon Winter's mother dies and he immediately rushes them back home and they have they bury her mother. He hopes to get back to their honeymoon but Winter doesn't want to leave, nor does she want to see her dad who is back in her life, and suddenly doesn't want to have kids. he doesn't understand her why she would want to have the time with her dad that she can't have with her mom and why she doesn't want to have kids. Even though these issues cause tension in their marriage he knows she is grieving waits, and prays for her to come around. And she does after she spends time with her dad. He looks like the second guy in the lighter blue shirt. The names I like for him are McKenzie or Nicholas. If go with McKenzie people will often call him Ken..and people will assume that it is short for Kenneth and call him that and make jokes, then he would tell them it is short for McKenzie which he would then be made fun of for "having a girls name" and then he would led not to responsed to being mistake for "Kenneth" and then with Nicholas obvious people will call him Nick. McKenxie means: son of the handsome one and Nicholas: victory of the people.
mspence2-mspence2-6a3b.jpg
McKenzie or Nicholas
mspence2-mspence2-6a3b.jpg (14.44 KiB) Viewed 1022 times

So what are your thoughts on those names for them. I really don't like that I shared that much about the book(s) but to make an honest reply you have to know a little bit about the guys. Anyway...
Last edited by JoyAnn on Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
~Jazzy~Tazzy~
~Tazzarina~Terror~
~Terrorizer~Princess~
~Spunky~PopTart~JoyBells~

"Oh, I KNOW I'm not confused."

"Yeah, I am a Moron."

In His Love and Mercy, Tiara Joy

Terrorizer41192@hotmail.com
(I can't even get into this one, so if you sent anything to it I won't get it....)
TiaraJoy's Profile

Allison

Postby Allison » Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:22 am

Okay, Pacific Coast Rest-Stop, specifically California, and even MORE specifically, San Francisco... Get ready for the Comeback Cardiac Cardinals, who will be bringing the spirit of all of Cardinals nation with them...

(Feel free to smile and nod and/or pat me on the head gently to calm me down... I'm just one super excited St. Louis Cardinals fan right now. That's all.)

lauralnm
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Postby lauralnm » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:29 am

Tiara -- I vote for Nathan for the first handsome man. As far as the second, if it would be significant to the story to have the second man's name McKenzie, then I would use it. If not, then Nicholas (Nick) would be a good choice.

BTW, I see you live in Puyallup. I live in Tacoma (actually a little community called Fircrest). I would love to meet you one of these days. I see you've been commenting about The Biggest Loser. Although I've never gone through that program, I work out at Vision Quest in Tacoma. Are you planning on going to the Conference? Just a few thoughts this early morning (5:25 a.m.) blessings to you and yours... laura

JoyAnn

Postby JoyAnn » Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:02 am

lauralnm wrote:Tiara -- I vote for Nathan for the first handsome man. As far as the second, if it would be significant to the story to have the second man's name McKenzie, then I would use it. If not, then Nicholas (Nick) would be a good choice.

BTW, I see you live in Puyallup. I live in Tacoma (actually a little community called Fircrest). I would love to meet you one of these days. I see you've been commenting about The Biggest Loser. Although I've never gone through that program, I work out at Vision Quest in Tacoma. Are you planning on going to the Conference? Just a few thoughts this early morning (5:25 a.m.) blessings to you and yours... laura

There is a conference?!?! I am going to the health semiar tomorrow at the puyallup one that my trainer is doing with the Fitness Manager Ernest. But did know there were conferences. I would like to meet up with you too, but I don't have a license so planning things like meeting up with someone isn't easy.
~Jazzy~Tazzy~
~Tazzarina~Terror~
~Terrorizer~Princess~
~Spunky~PopTart~JoyBells~

"Oh, I KNOW I'm not confused."

"Yeah, I am a Moron."

In His Love and Mercy, Tiara Joy

Terrorizer41192@hotmail.com
(I can't even get into this one, so if you sent anything to it I won't get it....)
TiaraJoy's Profile

Rebecky

Postby Rebecky » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:21 am

Tazzy, I think the first guy looks like a Simon and the second one looks like a Nicholas. Have you made last names for them yet? Maybe Nicholas could be Nicholas McKenzie (assuming that sounds right like it goes together) or it could be his middle name or something. Actually if he was named McKenzie he could go by the nickname Mac or Mack but that's up to you.

Personally, I think any of the names you chose would be good! :)
Dum Spiro Spero

PreviousNext

Return to The Water Cooler