To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Getting book endorsements

If Fiction is your forte, this is the forum for you. This is the place to share information and get help on the road to writing the next great novel.

Moderators: itsjoanne, Sparrow, RedBaron

Writetrack
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Getting book endorsements

Postby Writetrack » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:16 pm

A FaithWriters member recently submitted a question to Mike & Bea about how to go about getting endorsements for her book. They forwarded the question to me, and wondered if I could post my response here, for those of you who may be interested.

I had to get endorsements for my first novel, which came out last year, and I am in the process of soliciting more for my upcoming book. The first time around, I ended up with endorsements from wonderful authors like Loree Lough, Virginia Smith, Julie Carobini, Megan DiMaria, and Sandra Bricker. Here are a few tips on what worked for me:

The best way to go about getting endorsements is to search for authors who have written books similar to yours. You can search Amazon or other book sellers for these. Preferably select authors whom readers have likely heard of before, for the credibility factor. Then it is simply a matter of contacting these authors (via their website or email), asking if they would be willing to read your book and possibly offer an endorsement. They are, of course, doing you a huge favor, so be sure to tell them that they are under no obligation to endorse your book, but you would love to provide a complimentary copy (e-copy or printed) for them to read.

Address each author separately (with individual emails). You can copy and paste your main message, but make it as personal as possible. Start off by introducing yourself and giving your credentials, then add a blurb about your book, which publisher you're with, ending with your request to endorse. Do not send a copy of your full manuscript until they agree to read it. Professionalism is important. Some authors just don't ever endorse any books. Some may politely decline. Some may not respond at all.

When looking for endorsements for Mind over Madi, I contacted 10 authors. I heard back from 7 of them. Two declined, telling me they do not give endorsements. Five agreed to read my book, and all five gave me a wonderful endorsement. Like I said, I chose authors who write in a similar genre as my lighthearted women's fiction. If you have a non-fiction book, contact pastors, as well as well-known authors who might agree to read it and offer a positive quote.

Hope this helps! If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Accord64
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Re: Getting book endorsements

Postby Accord64 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:26 pm

Would I be correct to assume that "endorsements" could be considered the same as a "review" on Amazon?

If so, just an added word of caution. The issue of "fake" reviews on Amazon has become a hot topic lately. There have been a couple of well known authors who have been caught posting fake reviews (either written by themselves or paying someone to leave one). Unfortunately, this makes it difficult for authors trying to establish themselves because potential customers are now particularly leery of this unethical practice. They are even more likely to scrutinize any review that appears with your book, and often dig around for telltale signs that it might be bogus.

A couple of these telltale signs is that the reviewer has not made a verified purchase of your book (because you supplied it for free), and/or has little to no history of of leaving book reviews. So even though you might have found someone to read your book and give it a genuine review, under these conditions, it will be looked at with great skepticism. So choose your reviewers carefully, or it could work against you.

It's very frustrating that the dishonesty of a few have made it even harder for those who are trying to play the rules.

Writetrack

Postby Writetrack » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:30 pm

You're right about the Amazon reviews. So unethical...ugh.

No, I am talking about quotes from published authors that are posted on the back cover or front pages of your book. Quotes raving about your book and encouraging readers to pick up a copy. For example, here are a couple of endorsements I received for Mind over Madi:

“Lynda Lee Schab is a new, fresh addition to Christian fiction, combining her own distinctive author voice with humor and thought-provoking storytelling. I laughed right out loud in places and experienced the ministry of the Holy Spirit in others. I’m eager to see what’s next from Lynda Lee Schab.” - SANDRA D. BRICKER, best-selling and award-winning author of Always the Baker, Never the Bride, the first in a four-book series

“A fast, fun read in the tradition of classic chick lit. Madison ‘Madi’ McCall lives in an ordinary world, yet dreams of being a fairy-tale princess. In her quest to find her inner princess, Madi faces her responsibilities and the stresses that crowd her life. Along the way she overcomes challenges, learns to accept God’s grace, and grows her faith.” -MEGAN DIMARIA, author of Searching for Spice and Out of Her Hands

“With a smart, snappy style, Lynda Lee Schab delivers an entertaining tale. Be prepared for chuckles aplenty as Madi learns a hard-won lesson about trust.” - VIRGINIA SMITH, author of Third Time’s a Charm and the Sister-to-Sister Series

Accord64
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Postby Accord64 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:00 pm

Looks like you got some great endorsements. :thumbs

I hope it works out well for you, and thanks for sharing.

Sparrow

Postby Sparrow » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:01 am

I have often wondered how one goes about getting endorsements. Thanks so much for sharing, Lynda! Now if I can just snap out of this fatigue flare and get mine off to the publishers, then maybe I can have a try. :)
Amy Michelle Wiley
Check out my booklet, Bring Your Writing to Life: a writer's guide to "show; don't tell". Buy it here.
My Website, Sparrow's Flight

Return to Fiction Forum