To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Southern Porch Extension

A place for general chat (non-writing related). Please keep political discussions to the relevant neighborhood forum.

Moderators: cori67, RedBaron, Shann

ready2go
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: Southern Porch Extension

Postby ready2go » Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:53 pm

The test does not consider the fact that one could get run over by a truck tomorrow, or, die from a heart attack soon.

Had a good So. Dak. high school friend of mine taken the test a week ago, it would have probably revealed he had several years left. But...he died last Tuesday. He was driving a farm tractor pulling two wagon-loads of corn on a rural SD road. As he was driving across some railroad tracks, a fast-moving freight train hit the tractor broadside...killing him instantly.

Did the train sound a warning whistle? There were no stop arms at the crossing.
Why didn't he see or hear the train approaching? It was a clear day.
Was it suicide? Perhaps he was struggling with life, and couldn't deal with it.

That just shows us the test doesn't work in real life. Tomorrow will never come for some.

Don
Last edited by ready2go on Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John 14:6
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"
http://faithwriters.com/article-details.php?id=41225

http://faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=18654

"The Israel Connection"
http://theisraelconnection.blogspot.com/

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

tomoral

Postby tomoral » Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:54 pm

Hi all lynn gipson from memphis, tn here....where yall from?
:thumbs
God Bless the beasts and the children
Give them shelter from the storms.
Children are our tomorrow
Keep them daily from the sorrow
Of the beasts in life

http://www.faithwriters.com/websites/my ... p?id=57394

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:01 pm

tomoral wrote:Hi all lynn gipson from memphis, tn here....where yall from?
:thumbs

Welcome aboard!

I was born and raised in South Dakota, but have called Minnesota my home for about 50 years. The good folks here let me stay on the southern porch, but only if I promise to stay out of trouble.

Tell us a little about yourself...

Don
John 14:6
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"
http://faithwriters.com/article-details.php?id=41225

http://faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=18654

"The Israel Connection"
http://theisraelconnection.blogspot.com/

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

Laurie

Postby Laurie » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:46 pm

Hi Lynn. Nice to see you on the porch. I live in Wisconsin. What do you like to write? I used to write poetry, but have narrowed my focus to non-fiction on the topic of eating disorders. I have an online ministry to those with eating disorders and am trying to do whatever I can to get the word out - an uphill climb for sure.

Congratulations, Carole. :)

deejay

Postby deejay » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:06 pm

I took the test twice--once at my actual weight, plus diet and a couple other things, and got a score of 92 years. Then I changed the weight to the bottom of my healthy weight range, had myself eating healthy and getting plenty of exercise, etc., and had 6 more years added. I kept the high blood pressure answer the same, because even though my mom was at or, especially well below her healthy weight the last year of her life, she still had high blood pressure, and she was on medication for it. So it might not just be my weight that's causing it, it's likely heredity, because most of my family has it as well. But I have ancestors that lived into their 80s, 90s and 100s, so my living well into my 90s is realistic. I wouldn't be surprised if I outlived my siblings.

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:47 pm

Hi Lynn - Nice to meet you! You have a standing invitation to join our group, to post as much and as often as you like, and we'll always have a warm welcome for you.

I grew up in New York State but married a North Carolina boy after we met at Nyack College near New York City. I love living in the South. I love all the traditions and faithfully abide by the culinary rule, "If it ain't deep fried, it ain't worth eating." :D I'm the oldest member of the Porch and probably the oldest member of FaithWriters! The people you'll meet here are among the most delightful, most spiritual, most loving, and most encouraging people on the internet! If you live in Memphis, you've probably seen Elvis many times. :lol: :superhappy :rolling

My computer crashed again over the weekend! I saved a few choice words for it if I don't soon get it fixed. Right now it's on another Band-Aid fix. With any luck I'll get 2 or 3 days of service out of it before it gives up the ghost again.

Carol, my sweetie, my sister and her family return to Boston early Wednesday morning so after that I'll reply to your latest Email. It's going to be hard to say goodbye to her this time, for obvious reasons.

Y'all have a good night's sleep.
:love2 :love2 :love2 :love2 :love2 :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug3 :grouphug3 :grouphug2 :grouphug2 :loveyou :loveyou :loveyou :loveyou :loveyou :hugs2 :hugs2 :hugs2 :hugs2 :hugs2 :hugs2
"I long, O I long to be holy, conformed to His will and His Word.
I long to be gentle and Christ-like; I long to be just like my Lord."

Mariane Holbrook

Verna

Postby Verna » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:55 pm

Sorry, Don, I forgot to tell you how your list brightened my day when I read it. Also, I find comfort knowing that God has written the number of days I'll live in His book, and He'll be with me thro0ugh every one of them.

My dad died at 79 and my mom at 83--I'll go when He calls me! But that was a fun exercise.

Marianne, you can give your computer an extra kick for me to get it jump-started.

Lynn, welcome to the porch. I began life in Cincinatti, Ohio, as the daughter of a preacher. We lived in several other places in Ohio, moved to Kentucky, then to South Carolina. I went to college in Marion, IN, met my sweetheart there. After he graduated from college, we moved to SC for several years then settled in NC, where we've been since 1965. I feel like a native here--and love it.

Hope you all are enjoying the fall as much as I am.
Verna

A merry heart doeth good like a medicine...
Proverb 17:22

Facebook author page: Verna Cole Mitchell
http://www.magnificomanuscripts.com/

Verna

Postby Verna » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:56 pm

oops, Carole, I forgot to say that I think you have a gift for reviewing. Great job!You can review my book any time. Hopefully, it will be on Amazon in a week or so.
Verna

Carole L

Postby Carole L » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:14 pm

I went to a Walmart Clinic yesterday to see about what I thought was a UTI, with possible kidney stones. They took a urine sample, said no infection, but my sugar was really high, that my body was doing a major sugar dump.

They then took a A1c. I said I had eaten less than two hours before, was told it didn't matter. I've always had to fast for them before.

They gave me meds for the back pain, plus anti nausea meds, as the pain was making me sick. They also gave me antibiotic as, while no infection showed in sample, one usually follows stones due to irritation.

Today they called with the results. The nurse said that for some reason the blood was never sent in, but they showed a sugar count of 416 and I needed to get to a doctor immediately, as that was high enough to cause a coma. I have an apt for 2pm.

I took a sugar reading here, a little while ago, three hours after breakfast, and got 220.

I'm not sure if their 416 was accurate, but I am going to go in.

The meds they gave me literally knock me out. I sleep for hours after I take them. the back pain is still very intense, doesn't seem to be helping. Need to go, time to see docs.
Carole

Proud to be a 500 member.
I don't know the master plan, but I know the Master has a plan.

http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=34113

Carole L

Postby Carole L » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:23 pm

Ok, just got home.

They did another blood draw for an A1c, among other tests.

A normal, healthy, non-diabetic should come in at 6.5
A healthy, controlled diabetic shouldn't be above 7.5
I came in at 8.9.

The pain in my kidneys is because of the sugar being so high, tho there may also be stones. I am now on two meds for my sugar. Sooo, no more yummy desserts.
Carole

Proud to be a 500 member.
I don't know the master plan, but I know the Master has a plan.

http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=34113

Edy

Postby Edy » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:53 pm

Oooh, Carole, that sounds like no fun at all. I'm trying to think what foods are helpful in such situations, but the only thing that comes to mind is cinnamon. I think that has something to do with lowering blood sugar/or affecting the body's insulin response - off the top of my head. I should check the internet for certain. C U later!
"Jesus Never Fails!" Love, Edy
The Gospel is such Good News even Christians don't believe it!
The Power of Story
We are the third temple! Acts 7:48, 1 Peter 2:4-5
Essentially Lutheran
My StoriesMy Blog:The Prairie Nightingale

Edy

Postby Edy » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:58 pm

Here's a link for starters, Carole:
http://diabetes.webmd.com/cinnamon-and- ... r-diabetes

Praying that you feel better real quick, and everything else settles down to normal. :thumbs
"Jesus Never Fails!" Love, Edy
The Gospel is such Good News even Christians don't believe it!
The Power of Story
We are the third temple! Acts 7:48, 1 Peter 2:4-5
Essentially Lutheran
My StoriesMy Blog:The Prairie Nightingale

Green Leaves

Postby Green Leaves » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:17 pm

Carole, I can only imagine how you are feeling. Know that you are in our prayers.

BTW, if you find you have kidney stones, the one pain medication that helped me most was Toradol. Apparently from what nurses told me, this med has been helpful for many in dealing with the pain of kidney stones. But I really hope you don't have them.
http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=45576

"God has not called me to be successful, God has called me to be faithful." Mother Teresa

"...not to advance in the spiritual life is to go back. But those who have the gale of the Holy Spirit go forward even in sleep.". Brother Lawrence

Laurie

Postby Laurie » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:24 pm

Carole, I'm glad you went in for a follow up. I hope you don't have a kidney stone, too. You have enough going on without that.

I was in the clinic myself today. I have several sores in my mouth. I've had them before, but this time my teeth hurt, it hurts up into my ear, and I ache all over. Goodness, what a commotion. But she said the nasty little fellers can do that to a person. I'm taking ibuprofen (though it's hard to say how many days my stomach will be able to tolerate it) and a mouthwash to numb the sores to make it a little easier to eat. I hadn't had these sores for probably a few years or more, but now I've had them twice since my dad died. I've had a couple other things, too, since he died. It's just been a heavy duty year between losing my dad and my unemployment status (which is the hardest to deal with).

Verna

Postby Verna » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:45 pm

Carole and Laurie--Praying right now for comfort and healing for both of you.

Laurie, after my dad died many years ago, I had miserable sores in my mouth, which the doctor said were just stress. You've had sufficient to be stressed about!
Verna

PreviousNext

Return to The Water Cooler