To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

UK Cooler Stop

A place for general chat (non-writing related). Please keep political discussions to the relevant neighborhood forum.

Moderators: cori67, RedBaron, Shann

Arpy
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)

Re: UK Cooler Stop

Postby Arpy » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:16 pm

Colswann1 wrote:
And yes, if you are passing by, call in and enjoy her cooking.

Am I invited? PLEASE? I positively love the kind of food you eat over there.
And although an increasing majority of the people on this thread are only British wannabes, I can't resist sticking my oar in.
I echo the views of some people on here about worldwide cultures being fascinating. I am very patriotic because I like to be, but I love all countries and cultures and couldn't imagine a world without Rwanda, Liechtenstein, Nepal, or any other country.

I will confess. Every time I watch or read about the Olympics, I'm cheering for the British. (Comes from watching too much Chariots of Fire.) And if there's one song that manages to get me just above the solar plexus every time I hear it (and mind, I'm a hard-boiled egg with good nerves), it's God Save the Queen.
(Every time that scene in Chariots of Fire comes along where the music plays and the flag goes up, I'm in a dreadfully soft-boiled state.)

Tonguethaid, I was a bit like you for years. But there is more honour in loving what you you're given than in loving what you choose, as I realised, and although I tease Americana and laugh at cowboy boots and get annoyed when people sing 'My Country Tis of Thee', I like it because it's mine.

But I've got to say there are some things that make me go all flabby, and one of those is the Blankney/Chauvelin scene from the old black and white Scarlet Pimpernel where he quotes 'This royal throne of kings.' :(
Arpy

I write adventures, historical fiction, war stories, fantasies, psychological and spy thrillers.

IN PROGRESS:
Snaga - fan fiction fantasy
Emira - action adventure
Confessions of an Evil Genius - psychological thriller
The Play-Actor - sci-fi, historical, psychological spy thriller
Dreamreader - YA psychological thriller
A fantasy without a title
RECENT DRAFTS:
Royal Opposition - action adventure

Arpy
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)

Postby Arpy » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:20 pm

Oh, and, I have to know!
Call me skeptical, but did the Queen really, really parachute into the opening ceremonies?
I wasn't very well informed. Although I saw it two places (newspaper and tv) I couldn't believe it.
And who was that chap who jumped with her, again? We conjectured it was a bodyguard, but I thought I heard the magic name. . . .?
Arpy

I write adventures, historical fiction, war stories, fantasies, psychological and spy thrillers.

IN PROGRESS:
Emira - action adventure
RECENT DRAFTS:

Colswann1
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Postby Colswann1 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:05 am

Arpy wrote:Oh, and, I have to know!
Call me skeptical, but did the Queen really, really parachute into the opening ceremonies?

During the war years (before she was queen) Elizabeth served in the war effort and I would be surprised if she didn't make a jump in those years - so I don't think she's chicken! I suppose it will have to stand, with some believing, and, some not, like the Neil Armstrong story.

Arpy wrote:Am I invited? PLEASE? I positively love the kind of food you eat over there.

Any more? Gill will not be thanking me if we have an open house for all and sundry. But we'll make exceptions to a few special cases like you and the wannabes.

I think Pup wasn't far wrong when he said I was on my British lonesome in here. I thought we may have had a DizzieDannie and a Scot or two - maybe I'm wrong.

Luv ya all - Col :) :)
Colin Swann

Jesus’ love is constant and never wavers.

Arpy
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)

Postby Arpy » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:20 am

Yes, well that's OK, Colin. If I ever get over there, I'll be dining at the Savoy Grille!
Arpy

IN PROGRESS:
Emira - action adventure
RECENT DRAFTS:

Colswann1

Postby Colswann1 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:44 pm

Arpy, I see you have had some of your work printed, could you give us details of where to browse your books? :D
Colin Swann

deejay

Postby deejay » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:36 pm

I thought I read that Her Majesty was actually a bit of CGI magic when she made the parachute jump. At her age, I don't think it would be too healthy for her to make an actual jump.

I read that when Elizabeth was serving during WWII as a driver mechanic, she was working on a car that had mechanical problems. By lunch she still couldn't get it going, so she took a break. While she had been working, her father the King walked by and saw her hard at work. Later, after lunch, she went back to work on the car, and still couldn't get it to run. The King came by again, and asked, "Still can't get it to start yet?" What happened was, he had come by while Princess Elizabeth was at lunch, and removed the distributor cap, so of course it wouldn't run. He'd played a practical joke on her.

Arpy
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)

Postby Arpy » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:52 pm

deejay wrote:What happened was, he had come by while Princess Elizabeth was at lunch, and removed the distributor cap, so of course it wouldn't run. He'd played a practical joke on her.

I can believe he would do it, and I can also believe he would know how! King George VI is one of my heroes.

Colswann1 wrote:Arpy, I see you have had some of your work printed, could you give us details of where to browse your books? :D

Actually, I haven't. That's why I wrote 'Recent drafts' and not 'Completed works'. I want to have something printed, but I'm too nit-picky right now. I'm just glad to have the drafts done. I'm sure you'll hear from me all over the forums when I do print anything -- I long to.
Thank you anyway for your interest.
Arpy

IN PROGRESS:
Emira - action adventure
RECENT DRAFTS:

tonguethaid

Postby tonguethaid » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:13 am

Arpy wrote:Tonguethaid, I was a bit like you for years. But there is more honour in loving what you you're given than in loving what you choose, as I realised, and although I tease Americana and laugh at cowboy boots and get annoyed when people sing 'My Country Tis of Thee', I like it because it's mine.

I think my lesson mostly learned is that life is hard no matter where you are. People tend to be blind to their own culture and find things more frustrating and irritating in other cultures. Its sometimes difficult going to the states and hearing some of the rather ignorant and arrogant comments from people, but I think that is true no matter where you are. I just feel a stronger connection to British culture.

Which brings me to take a poll of sorts; in your opinion what is the best brand/type of tea?
♥Kara

“The true harvest of my life is intangible - a little star dust caught, a portion of the rainbow I have clutched” ~ Henry David Thoreau

"If you are a dreamer,come in. If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar, a hoper, a prayer, a magic-bean-buyer. If you're a pretender, come sit by my fire, for we have some flax-golden tales to spin. Come in! Come in!" ~ Shel Silverstein

Colswann1

Postby Colswann1 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:32 am

tonguethaid wrote:Which brings me to take a poll of sorts; in your opinion what is the best brand/type of tea?

I have a friend who likes to think he's posh. He would say only china will do. An heated up china teapot, loose tea leaves in pot, scalded with boiling water, left to brew for awhile, and then poured out through a strainer into china teacups (with saucers), and then add milk if required.

I, being a Yorkshire man, love 'Yorkshire Tea' brand - can't beat the taste (doubt if it's available in America) and I prefer a Yorkshire teabag in a mug (preferably made by my wife - who makes the best cuppa), add milk and slop it down forthwith. :D
Colin Swann

ThreeDee

Postby ThreeDee » Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:14 am

We have Yorkshire Tea here in Canada, Col! And my hubs knows how to make it just right... maybe not quite like your wife, but close :)

I prefer Twinings, myself. English Breakfast is full flavoured and picks me up. Whichever brand we brew, it must be a rolling boil and black (unless hubs adds a dollop of honey and a splash of his creamy milk--mine's plain ole' black).
With His Love,
Di

you can find me on my prickly blog Thistle N That at http://www.dianadart.com

Colswann1

Postby Colswann1 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:28 am

ThreeDee wrote:And my hubs knows how to make it just right

Di, I hope you don't think Gill's a skivvy (anything but), I sometimes make the tea and always help with housework and get breakfast every morning and call her when it's ready (she doesn't like it in bed). I even make a main meal, from time to time, when I can get my own way and cook a complete fry up, all at once, in our electric frying pan (junk food indeed!).

A BIG DAY FOR GILL TODAY!!!
When she was at teacher training college for three years doing her teaching diploma in maths, that is all they gave them in those days (a teaching diploma). They realise now that was not enough and are going to give them a belated degree - which she will receive today at her old College which is now called a university (I dare not say how many years later). :)
Colin Swann

deejay

Postby deejay » Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:48 pm

I grew up, like most Americans, on Lipton tea. When other brands came out, I enjoyed Bigelow's, which has many interesting flavors. I've had a few other brands as well. Celestial Seasonings is another. I once saw they had a pear-flavored white tea, and the picture on the box had a smiling Siamese cat in an Oriental robe, holding a cup of tea in one paw and a paintbrush in the other, as he painted a pear tree. Nearby was a pear-shaped teapot, with a pear on either side of it, and a couple more cups of tea on the tray. I lost sight of it, without having had the opportunity to taste it, for some time, but recently found it at Big Lots! So I now have a box of it--teabags, of course--and can't wait for it to get cool enough to drink it!

When we were in Australia, we Yanks got teased about our teabags--"That's not tea, that's tea stuck in some gauze!" They of course favored loose. Someday I will get another teapot, and buy loose tea. I had a teapot, but a very clumsy and grabby sibling of mine lost the lid, and I'm not sure I still have it. I plan to get into my storage on Monday as the libraries are closed for Labor Day in order to put most of my Bible college notes, assignments, etc. back into binders (still need 12 2" binders), so I'll try to remember to take a look.

Arpy
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)

Postby Arpy » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:14 pm

I'm not an expert, and I can't say which is the best, but two of my favourites are Darjeeling from the Taylors of Harrigate (or something like that) and Prince of Wales by Twinings (I think.)
Arpy

IN PROGRESS:
Emira - action adventure
RECENT DRAFTS:

Arpy
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)

Postby Arpy » Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:11 pm

So yesterday, Colin, I was at the annual Virginia Scottish Games and Festival, (complete with tattooed rednecks in camouflage kilts :shock: -- that's for you, Tonguethaid) and I thought about you. Aren't you flattered?
Which part of Scotland are you from, anyway?

And meanwhile, am I arrogant and ignorant to wonder if Colin is opening a new tab on his computer and entering 'what is a redneck' in his search engine? :wink:
Arpy

IN PROGRESS:
Emira - action adventure
RECENT DRAFTS:

ThreeDee

Postby ThreeDee » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:35 pm

I love going to the Highland Games near our home, although it hasn't worked out in the last few years. The food and music are wonderful, and watching the actual games is totally thrilling. I've asked my oldest son to consider training for the caber toss... but no bites yet :)

When I bought my hubs a kilt last year, my uncle (born in Glasgow) commented in his typical dry tone:

"If you see a man in London wearing a kilt, you can assume he's from Scotland. If you see a man in Glasgow wearing a kilt, you can assume he's from the Highlands. But if you see a man in the Highlands wearing a kilt, you can always assume he's an American."

I'm still not sure if he was making fun of me. :roll:

Glad to hear you're a helpmeet, Col. I've been blessed with a guy who does (more than) his part around the house, and I'm sure that Gill feels just as blessed!
With His Love,
Di

you can find me on my prickly blog Thistle N That at http://www.dianadart.com

PreviousNext

Return to The Water Cooler