To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

FaithWriters Writing CONTEST #3 WINNERS ARE HERE!

This forum is reserved for member articles being submitted for specific blogging contests.

Moderator: mikeedwards

mikeedwards
Site Admin
Site Admin

FaithWriters Writing CONTEST #3 WINNERS ARE HERE!

Postby mikeedwards » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:05 pm

Thank you to everyone who submitted articles. We learned a lot with this contest as with the others that will help us with future contests. Everyone who entered is a winner in our book and your member number has now been entered one time into the annual prize drawing. All articles may be used to promote further contests and FaithWriters as a whole.

As a winner you are invited to make a comment with the post reply button. Others are encouraged to comment on the articles and tell the winners what you think of their work.

And the winners for the FaithWriters blog contest are - :party

1st place and two paid writing assignments worth $150 goes to -
What to Do with Your Amazing Stories by Jennifer Suchey

Hovering discreetly, the two figures draped their legs over the banister rail. Below them they observed the antics of two women around a kitchen island.

“Are you kidding me? Give me that.” Renee grabbed the can of whipped cream and crafted an impressive mound atop her fudge sundae.

Sophie gaped at the concoction. “How do you stay so thin?”

“Well,” Renee’s words were muffled by the massive bite she had just shoved in her mouth, “I burn a lot of energy trying to figure out how to get you to write.”

Renee rolled her eyes. “I’m telling you, you’re the only one who actually wants to read my writing. I don’t even know why I let you read that story.”

“Umm . . . maybe because it was amazing? And maybe because you know you need someone to kick you in the booTAY?”

Renee licked her spoon and eyed her friend. “BooTAY?”

“Yes, booTAY. It’s that skinny thing you need to sit on while you think up more amazing stories.”

“Mm hmm . . . and just what do you suggest I do with these amazing stories?”

Renee shrugged. “Enter a writing contest?”

Zeke bumped the figure beside him, nearly toppling him over the rail. “This is your cue.”

“Cue for what?” Gus regained his balance and rubbed his arm.

“Don’t be a doofus. You know the reason the Father sent us here was to point Renee to FaithWriters.com.”

“Yeah? Well? So, why do I have to do it?”

“Because your the angel in training, not me. I direct. You do . . . so go . . . do.”

“Alright fine. I’ll just go tell her to check out FaithWriters.com. How hard could it be?”

Zeke concealed a smirk as his feathered friend hopped off the rail, swooped into the kitchen and nestled himself on the counter between the two women. He looked Sophie in the eye and clearly enunciated the words, “Faith Writers."

Renee scraped the fudge off the sides of her goblet. “Maybe there’s a website where you can post your Christian writing and get your writing critiqued.”

Gus twisted his head toward Renee. “Yeah. Hellooo. I just said it. FaithWriters. Go toFaithWriters.com.

Sophie put the lid on the ice cream. “That would be great. I think I’d feel safer in a Christian environment. I wonder if there’s a site that offers Christian writing courses . . . maybe even opportunities for paid writing assignments.

Gus peered at Zeke.“What up? Clearly they’re not paying attention.”

Zeke smiled. “Yes, but it’s very entertaining from up here.” He moved his gaze to the laptop in front of Gus.

Gus eyed the open device. “What? You want me to . . .? Ohhh!

He flashed a gander at Sophie and then Renee, still gabbing with spoons in hand.

Tipping forward, he studied the keys on the computer. With his two index fingers he managed to locate the “F” key, and then the “A”. One by one he found all the letters that make up faithwriters.com.

He grinned at his accomplishment and eyed his mentor above. Zeke just shook his head in bewilderment. “How does he not know how to type?

Looking back at the keyboard, Gus hit the enter key and then jumped off the counter with triumphal expectancy.

His radiant smile vanished, however, as the women began to clean up their mess.

“I’ll put the whipped cream away,” Renee smirked before squirting a glob in her mouth.

“You’re hopeless.” Sophie wiped the counter near the laptop and paused.

“Hey, let’s do a Google search.”

“Okay.”

Sophie took a look at the screen and squinted. “What’s this?”

Tah dah!” Gus raised his hands in jubilation.

Jennifer Suchey
Member ID# 54251

http://theauthorwithin.wordpress.com/20 ... c5f8104cee

http://jennifersuchey.wordpress.com/201 ... g-stories/

http://www.facebook.com/JiffChick?ref=profile

http://www.faithwriters.com/article-det ... ?id=150360

2nd Place and one paid writing assignment worth $75 goes to
The Beginning by Lori Othouse

His words assaulted her like a series of jabs and uppercuts. She often thought that physical blows would be easier to take. And even though she should have gotten used to it by now, she never really did.

“Did you work out today? Don’t you ever want to look good?”

“What are you wearing? Don’t embarrass me.”

“You look like a freakin’ __________!” (insert derogatory comparison here - homeless person, old lady, boring mom, etc.)

Is this really how Christian husbands were? And it wasn’t only about looks. When, wanting to serve, she took a huge step of faith to be a Sunday School teacher, she was met with, “You’re not qualified; you’re not a teacher!”

She tried hard not to listen, but the constant, careless words sank deep into her soul, regularly beating her down and leaving her confused, hurting, tired and broken. She struggled daily to try to be the good wife and mother, while her love for him died a slow, painful death.

It had been another brutal night as she sat at the computer, aimlessly scrolling through emails, fighting back the tears. A familiar name popped up in her inbox - FaithWriters .com. She always loved writing and participated in their weekly writing challenge several times, but lately inspiration seemed very far away. Still, she remembered how she enjoyed the site and clicked the link to see what was new.

There were Christian articles of every kind on every subject, from Jesus and the gospel to poetry to world affairs. As she browsed around, there was a stirring inside, that spark of creativity almost snuffed out by the struggle of her daily life. It felt so good, this almost forgotten part of her awakening again. She remembered the dreams she once had of writing, especially to help or instruct others.

Suddenly, the moment was broken. An insidious voice hissed in her ear, ‘you’re not qualified; you’re not a teacher!’ The self-doubt she struggled with about her appearance, her abilities and her attitudes spilled over now into her aspirations. What was she thinking? She couldn’t even help herself right now and she wanted to try to help others?

Embarrassed at getting so caught up, she quickly logged in to remove her email from the list. Why be reminded of another inadequacy? Once in her account, she saw the list of her posted writings . She knew them well, but it seemed like they were written a lifetime ago. Then she saw it - the area where she submitted to have her writing critiqued .

Slowly, she read the words of her fellow FaithWriters :

“You have a gift.”

“This blessed me so much.”

“Don’t ever stop writing!”

The tears she had been holding back began to flow. How had she forgotten this? This community of Christian writers was there to support her, even when others were not. They understood the power of words and used them to help her, not hurt her. Maybe she really was more capable than she had been told all this time. The spark inside her began to ignite.

Words had all but ruined her self-worth, but perhaps they could now be a rescue. Although she had no idea what was to come, she no longer felt alone. And for the first time in a very long time, she had hope, which is the beginning of faith, which is the beginning of everything.

Lori Othouse
Member ID # 8826

http://infyouz.wordpress.com/2012/07/25/the-beginning/

http://www.faithwriters.com/article-det ... ?id=150332

https://contributor.yahoo.com/library/

3rd Place and $25 goes to -
Out of the Past, Into the Furure by Deborah Engle

A face from generations past, anonymous, yet somehow familiar, loomed above me. No words were spoken, but the image appeared to be waiting, expecting me to act. The unsettling dream had me sitting up in bed, my heart pounding. In the darkness, a sense of urgency overwhelmed me. I had to find a way.

When Angie picked me up that morning, she knew with one glance something was up. “So, are you going to tell me now, or are you going to tell me later?” was all she said, but I was happy to share with her.

After relating the events of the night, I added, “You know I’ve been immersed in my genealogy lately. Having 16 generations of names, dates and places has brought it all to life for me, but it’s also raised more questions. I mean, come on . . . medieval England? What kind of life did they have? What work did they do? What kind of people were they? But the biggest question is the one that is getting to me. Did they love the Lord?”

Angie looked puzzled. “I don’t think you’ll ever be able to . . . “

“I know. I’ll never know their hearts, but it’s more than that. It’s almost like I need to step up somehow, to ensure that future generations of Cooper’s will have the opportunity to hear about Jesus and the Gospel.”

“Wow, Jen, that’s a tall order. How could you accomplish something like that?”

“That’s the thing. I think I know.”

Angie looked at me sideways, waiting.

“After that dream, I spent the rest of the night praying. By the time I got up, I was confident that God is directing me to write.”

“Write? Really? You could probably do that. You wrote that poem for the Christmas party last year.”

I stared at Angie, considering her words. “Well, sure, I’ve done some things for my own amusement, but I don’t think I’m ready for all my descendents to be judging my results.”

“So, what can you do?”

I couldn’t keep the wonder from my face. “This is the really cool part. Last week I was surfing the web, and I came across a Christian writers’ site. It’s called Faithwriters. I took the time to explore and was very impressed.”

“First, writers sign up. Once you do that, you can post your Christian writing. There’s another place you can get your writing critiqued. That’s a good idea, especially for a beginner like me.”

“I didn’t know there were sites like that. But what if their critiques say you’re no good?”

“I don’t think that’s how it works. I think they tell you how to improve your writing. But I saw something else on the homepage. They have twelve Christian writing courses. And interactive writing forums, so I would be able to ‘talk’ to experienced writers.”

“This site sounds quite comprehensive.”

“I haven’t even told you half of it. There’s a writing challenge. That looked like a pretty big deal. I guess you write to a prompt, and there’s a deadline and a word limit . . . and something about little gold boxes, but I haven’t figured it all out yet. Doesn’t that seem like a good way to practice and improve? Oh, and they sponsor a Christian Writer’s Conference.”

Angie grinned. “You know Jen, it appears you have already decided to try this out. If you really believe you need to write, I agree that Faithwriters may be the place for you to start. Let me know how it goes.”

http://www.faithwriters.com/article-det ... ?id=150249

http://debbiege.blogspot.com/2012/07/ou ... re_86.html

Deborah Engle #29095

VERY GOOD and so close to the top 3 is -
Trim and Fit by Lois Farrow

Autumn leaves crunched under foot as Lisa and Joanne jogged through the park. Soon the crisp frosts of winter would be here, but today the cool air was refreshing and invigorating.

“How’s your writing going, then?” asked Joanne, steamy breaths billowing as she ran.

“Hopeless. I seem to be in a rut, and I’m going nowhere.” Lisa was grateful for her friend with whom she could be honest. With most people she said fine, fine, when asked the same question. It was easier than getting into complicated explanations.

“I need help,” she continued.

“Well, you’ve come a long way already,” Joanne encouraged her. “I’ll tell you what helped me most when I was at your stage; I joined FaithWriters. Membership gave a new boost to my writing, helped me to focus my stories and think about what I was doing. It’s also great to have an outlet that is openly Christian and have fun sharing your faith.”

“Sounds great, tell me more.”

“I started with the weekly writing challenge. Every week they give you a topic with a tight word count, between 150 and 750 words, and you write a short piece on that topic.”

“Sounds intriguing.”

“It is, and the best thing is that in the following week other people comment on your article, and you can read what others have written and comment on their pieces for them. You learn such a lot from seeing how other people treat the topic.”

“Wow.” The women jogged steadily while the swish of passing cyclists and the hum of nearby traffic accompanied them.

“It’s just like our jogging,” Joanne suddenly broke their reverie. “Remember we started this because we wanted to trim down a bit? It’s the same in our writing. It can be very flabby using all sorts of unnecessary words, and the writing challenge helps us to get our writing trim and fit.”

“I’m definitely interested,” said Lisa. “Is that all there is?”

“Oh no, there is a lot more. Through the FaithWriters
website you have access to Christian writing courses, forums and conversations about various writing topics, Christian articles, and you can post your Christian writing on their website. Also if you have a problem you have access to helpful people who will answer your questions.”

“Wow, it sounds wonderful. How do I join?”

“Go to the website, http://www.faithwriters.com, and follow the instructions, it tells you what to do. It does cost a bit, but I think it’s worth it because it helps so much. They also have writing contests with cash prizes, so you might even earn some of your money back.”

“Make my fortune, eh, that’s just what I want.”

“Well, maybe not a fortune, but it’s great to think your work is worth something.”

They kicked the autumn leaves aside as they reached the bus stop.

“You’ll be glad if you do it,” said Joanne. “It’s really easy, and the feedback from other people is so encouraging.”

Lois Farrow # 44742

Posted to:
http://www.faithwriters.com/myaccount/submit.php
http://www.margo19.blogspot.co.nz
viewtopic.php?f=92&t=35527

Judging

This contest is designed to replicate your submission to a potential publisher. Faithwriters staff may narrow down the choices but the ministry we are promoting makes the final decision just like in the real world.

The most weight in this contest and others to come is on content. Remember these articles are like mini ads for a ministry and are most valuable when someone reads them and clicks through to the website. Does the article catch and hold attention? Does the article flow smoothly including where the links were placed? Is the content appropriate? Articles narrowed down to this point undergo further scrutiny based on the rules. Tie breaker decisions could be based on word count, spelling, is there a title, etc.

There were some great entries and some that might have made it were disqualified or lost in a tie with another article based on the contest rules. Here are some of the rules that were applied when judging.

Word Count maximum was 600.
Links had to work in the postings and in this forum.
There must be a title.

Actual Contest started here

FaithWriters Writing Contest #3 Actually $315.00 in prizes. 7-27-12 Deadline

We have outside ministries who are very interested in this program. We would like to see more involvement in these contests so we have held back an interested outside ministry to do a live practice contest. This is a win- win situation as we all get to work together to refine this program while promoting FaithWriters and your articles. The program itself puts your writing out into the real world competing for real paid opportunities and great exposure. The potential client picks the winner just like in real life. We hope to be offering at least two of these contests per month. If you are not familiar with these contests you should read here first -

http://www.faithwriters.com/Boards/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=92&t=35283

This blog, let’s call it writing contest so no one gets scared off, will be focused on the FaithWriters website. Your mission is to build a storyline around the list of keywords/keyword phrases. I urge you to take notice of the style of writing from the winners of the PTL contest.

http://www.faithwriters.com/Boards/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=92&t=35372

In them you will see what we want for FaithWriters articles too. You can see how much fun they had and how they caught our attention. We are looking for unique, edgy and engaging articles where the keywords below can be utilized. We are not looking for a straight review. We want to see your creativity come alive. In these contests you are trying to impress upon the ministry in question, your writing ability. How you can engage the reader and get them to click through on one of your links. There is so much information out there you need to be unique for someone to pay attention. Have fun with it, take some risks and go for it. As long as the keywords are used in the context of your article you are all set. I am really excited to see what you come up with.

Prizes
Any member can enter these contests but the ability to win the paid writing assignment is restricted to Gold or Platinum members. The paid writing assignment will go to the highest ranked Gold or Platinum member. If you want to eligible to win the paid writing assignment for this contest you must upgrade before you submit your entry.

Silver members will be judged separately for this contest and the first place Silver winner will receive a one year paid Gold membership. They will then be able to win writing assignments for future contests under their newly upgraded membership. This rule can be altered or modified at the discretion of the owners of FaithWriters.

Gold and Platinum Prizes
First place = Two paid writing assignments for FaithWriters - $75 per article.
Second Place = One paid writing assignment for FaithWriters -$75
Third place = $25

New Additional Annual Prize starts with this contest and going forward to every contest.
Annual Prize Drawing –Starting with this contest, $50 or more will be placed in a fund for an annual contest of contests for this forum. Seventy Five Percent of the total in this fund at the end of the 1st year will go to the top three winning entries and be divided like this -( 1st = 30%, 2nd = 25%, 3rd = 20%)

Example - $1200 total for year in fund. (75% of $1,200 = $900 to the top three winners = 1st = $270.00, 2nd = $225.00 3rd = $180.00)

Twenty Five percent or in this example $300 will be divided equally and go to the top three random picks from all entries. For each time you enter one of these contests you will have your member ID number entered into this drawing. The more you enter the higher your chance at winning this prize. If you enter one contest you have one chance. If you enter 20 you have 20 chances. You could be chosen and win one of the top three article picks plus win one of the random picks. You could be a Silver member and win one of the random picks. A member may only win one time as a random pick winner.

Contest Rules

600 words or less

7-27-12 Deadline at 10AM New York Time

You must have a title.

Post article 3 places minimum - You must post the article in our regular articles, this forum and one other location. If you have other locations the judges will look favorably upon your efforts.
In your article post in this forum you must list the other locations you posted in.

You must list your name and FaithWriters member ID number at the bottom of your submission to this forum. To find your ID number go to your profile page. If you then look at the URL for your profile page in the browser window, you will see your member number listed at the end of the URL.

You must use at least 6 of the keywords/keyword phrases listed below.

Your links must work. There is a simple explanation below next.

Instructions for submissions to our regular articles.
Easiest way to explain how to insert contextual links. When preparing your article simply type out the article like any normal article using at least 6 of the Keywords/Keyword phrases below. Here is an example where I use two–

I had searched all over trying to find a (Chrisitan writer). Then I found (FaithWriters).

When your article was done you would exchange the keywords/keyword phrases with the links below exactly as they are typed. Copy and paste them into the article so no mistake is made. You can modify the keywords themselves for capitalization and such to fit into your article. So the sentence above would be changed by you to this before you submitted it to our regular articles.All that has been done is replacing the keyword with the matching code below.

I had searched all over trying to <a href=" http://www.faithwriters.com/publishers-tour.php" > find a Christian Writer.</a> Then I found <a href=" http://www.faithwriters.com/index.php">FaithWriters</a>.

Here are the Keywords/Keyword phrases to use in your article. You can adjust the keywords if you desire. For example on number two I have “writer sign up” You could use just the word “writer” instead. You can change them as long as the change fits the page it is linked to. If you feel brave you can create some of your own keywords or keyword phrases that better fit your storyline. Just make sure you link them to pages or articles within our site that match the context of the keyword. If you are newer at this you might just want to stay with the Keywords exactly as listed below and build around them. Pick six out first and then start writing.

1) <a href=" http://www.faithwriters.com/index.php">FaithWriters</a>

2) <a href=" http://www.faithwriters.com/finish-signup.php" >writer sign up</a>

3) <a href=" http://www.faithwriters.com/publishers-tour.php" > find a Christian Writer</a>

4) <a href=" http://www.faithwriters.com/newest-articles.php">Christian articles</a>

5) <a href=" http://www.faithwriters.com/project-post.php"> post a writing project</a>

6)<a href=" http://www.faithwriters.com/writing-challenge-intro.php"> writing challenge</a>

7)<a href=" http://www.faithwriters.com/critique-circle.php"> writing critiqued</a>

8 )<a href=" http://www.faithwriters.com/index.php"> post your Christian writing</a>

9) <a href=" http://www.faithwriters.com/writing-cou ... mplete.php " > Christian writing courses</a>

10)<a href=" http://www.faithwriters.com/page-turner.php"> writing contests with cash prizes</a>

11)<a href=" http://www.faithwriters.com/article-det ... ?id=148028"> free contextual back links for Christian sites</a>

12)<a href=" http://www.faithwriters.com/article-det ... ?id=148028"> Christian website backlinks</a>

13) <a href=" http://faithwritersjesuspage.weebly.com/ ">Jesus and the gospel</a>

14) <a href=" viewforum.php?f=92 ">paid writing assignments</a>

Instructions for submission to this forum.
To create a contextual link in our forums you need to do it like this
[url=TheURLHere]post your Christian writing[/url] This is the exact format you need to use. Note there are four brackets [ , one equal sign = and one back slash / . If I built the actual links in this forum as you need to build them, you would not be able to see how they were created. You would only see the finished product. Therefore where it says TheURLHere you insert the web address for the corresponding keyword. For example if number eight above ‘post your Christian writing” was the keyword phrase in question, in place of TheURLHere you would insert http://www.faithwriters.com/index.php as shown in number eight. You do this for each Keyword.

Instructions to create a contextual link in the third location you post your article.
This will depend on the blog or forum where you post the article. Most are extremely easy and you need to follow their directions.

Please do not post questions below this posting. This forum is specifically for entries for this contest. Anything else will be removed. If you have a question check the question forums under “Blogging for Paid Writing Opportunities’ is here - http://www.faithwriters.com/Boards/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=92&t=35289. Your answer may be there already. If it is not submit your question. Myself or a knowledgeable member will help you.

Now Get writing and win this thing! :thumbs
We need God's Grace because of God's Truth.

tomoral
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: FaithWriters Writing CONTEST #3 NOW OPEN $315.00 in priz

Postby tomoral » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:14 pm

Faith in Writing

I was in group therapy with eight or nine others. People were talking about their sorrow at their experiences in life. Everyone would listen intently to what the speaker was saying. One lady started talking about the abuse she suffered as a child. Another one spoke of things he had done he was ashamed of. Something inside of me was crying to come out. I had a secret. There was something I had never told a living soul.

When it came to be my turn to talk, the words came spilling out. “I had an abortion in my younger years, and I have never spoken of it to anyone, not even my husband at the time!"

All eyes were on me as I related my story and how that experience had haunted me every day of my life since. I had watched my child grow up in my mind. I would see her at every stage of her life. I was convinced it was a girl. I even had a name for her. The others got misty eyed as I blurted out the words “I murdered my child!”

The counselor of our group suggested I write a letter to my aborted child, telling her of my feelings and how much I grieved for her. I wrote “Angel Interrupted, A Story of Abortion” and read it to the others the next day. There were tears among all of them, and my confession somehow stirred them to open up with secrets of their own. That day was a turning point in several people’s lives, including my own.

I came home that day and started looking for a website that took freelance Christian articles. I felt compelled to get my story out there to others who may be considering abortion. I wanted them to be aware of the consequences I had suffered, and perhaps save at least one child’s life. I somehow stumbled across Faithwriters. I posted “Angel Interrupted" that very day and it has changed my life.

I signed on first as a silver member at Sign Up (it’s free!) and began writing other articles which I would post in article submissions. After the first article, God spoke to me to write about my faith. I have been a born again Christian for three years, and have always wanted to be a writer, but never thought I had the talent to be one. After a while a I became a platinum member and started entering the writing challenge contest every two weeks. A few times my articles and poems actually made into the top half, and I was thrilled!

Now I look back and am amazed at how much my writing has improved in the last six months. I have learned so much from this wonderful website. There is also an amazing Christ filled sight called the Jesus Page that has helped me daily in strengthening my faith. I have also posted some of my articles in the critique circle section and received gentle, constructive reviews from veteran writers that helped me improve my writing.

Faithwriters also leads me to paid writing assignments such as the one I now have with Christian News Today. I am a regular writer for them and they even posted my Testimony in their off line publication “Christ and You” which is circulated in India! These opportunities came to me only by way of this wonderful site.

Just as God compelled my to tell my story of abortion to others at long last, He led me to Faithwriters and to a faith building new life in writing. Everyone involved from the writers to the owners of the site are just wonderful to know and so eager to help you in your passion for writing.

If one is not a writer but simply looking for articles to print, just take ourPublisher's Tour and see the thousands of articles, stories and poems from our treasure trove of writers. I am a new writer, but we have many, many talented, gifted writers here and I’m sure you will find just what you need.

If you feel the need to write about your faith in God and need a place to show it to others, or if you need to learn and grow, and even become a published author, come to Faithwriters. Even if you are already an accomplished writer and you just need to share your faith and passion for writing, come join our family! I guarantee you will love it! God Bless.

http://www.faithwriters.com/article-det ... ?id=150117

http://www.thekingstranz4mdscribe.com/t ... g-1780494/

http://lynntomoralgipson.wordpress.com/

Lynn Gipson

http://www.faithwriters.com/websites/my ... p?id=57394
Last edited by tomoral on Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:04 am, edited 8 times in total.
God Bless the beasts and the children
Give them shelter from the storms.
Children are our tomorrow
Keep them daily from the sorrow
Of the beasts in life

http://www.faithwriters.com/websites/my ... p?id=57394

tracynunes
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)

Postby tracynunes » Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:57 pm

Opportunity Knocks on Unexpected Doors

I knew that once the knife sliced through my throat life would never be the same again. Now, the beeps of the heart monitor, the drone of the television on the other side of the curtain and the nurse testing the sensation in my toes, all pressed reality into the lingering fog of anesthesia. My lack of ability to speak confirmed what I saw and heard: Disk replacement surgery was the beginning of a long journey for me.

In the weeks and months to follow I would count the time in minutes and hours as the days of recuperation dragged on. Isolation and immobilization caused me to rethink who I was and to ponder what God had in store for me on this new passage. It was while in this rumpled condition that a dear friend told me about FaithWriters. She told me how fulfilling it was for her to participate in the writing challenges and to post her articles with hopes of gaining a wider audience for the words the Lord had given her to write.

“What can it hurt to try?” I responded to the nagging doubter in my head.

Signing up was simple and easy. Before I knew it I was on my way. I hadn’t envisioned myself as a writer beyond sharing my testimony, but as I began to explore the site, my interest was expanded to include other possibilities. The tools I found on Faithwriters made the impossible seem achievable.

I posted an article about a homeless woman and was very encouraged when they chose to highlight the article on the front page of the website. That pat on the back spurred me on to try my pen at my first entry into the writing challenge. The challenges are on topics that run the gamut of human experience. The topic I chose to dive into was Once in a Blue Moon. Entries can be anything from poetry, to devotions, non-fiction to fiction. After praying I decided to write a first person account of my experiences with neck surgery and what God had been teaching me through it.

Doubt turned to astonishment when that entry was second in my level and placed in Editor’s Choice for all levels. The Facebook widget on the page indicated that many people had shared the article with others. That was over a year ago. The article has been viewed, reprinted and shared hundreds of times through FaithWriters and I recently had a request from a blogger who asked to highlight it on her blog. The amazing multiplication of ministry that happens on FaithWriters is matched by no other writing forum on the internet. Publishers and Christian ministries from all over the world come to FaithWriters to find high quality Christian writing.

A couple of months after my winning entry, I decided to try my hand at fiction. I was never very good at telling a story, as my kids will attest, but I thought that perhaps <i> writing</i> a story would be different. From the moment I began to write my first short story I was hooked. The freedom of expressing myself, and more importantly, communicating the love of Jesus to my readers using fiction took me on writing adventures I never imagined.

Now, my short stories are being published in FaithWriters anthologies and it has opened wide the door of inspiration and opportunity. I urge you…let your fingers run, not walk, to FaithWriters today and find the whole new world that awaits you.

Surgery? No big deal.

http://www.faithwriters.com

https://www.facebook.com/#!/tracy.nunes
http://tracynunes.blogspot.com/2012/07/ ... rs_21.html
http://www.faithwriters.com/article-det ... ?id=150222
Tracy Nunes

tracynunes
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)

Postby tracynunes » Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:53 pm

Oops! On the above article, Opportunity Knocks on Unexpected Doors, I forgot to put my name and ID number.

Tracy Nunes
ID: 50219

:thankssign
Tracy Nunes

Granny's Pen

Postby Granny's Pen » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:51 pm

Out of the Past, Into the Furure

A face from generations past, anonymous, yet somehow familiar, loomed above me. No words were spoken, but the image appeared to be waiting, expecting me to act. The unsettling dream had me sitting up in bed, my heart pounding. In the darkness, a sense of urgency overwhelmed me. I had to find a way.

When Angie picked me up that morning, she knew with one glance something was up. “So, are you going to tell me now, or are you going to tell me later?” was all she said, but I was happy to share with her.

After relating the events of the night, I added, “You know I’ve been immersed in my genealogy lately. Having 16 generations of names, dates and places has brought it all to life for me, but it’s also raised more questions. I mean, come on . . . medieval England? What kind of life did they have? What work did they do? What kind of people were they? But the biggest question is the one that is getting to me. Did they love the Lord?”

Angie looked puzzled. “I don’t think you’ll ever be able to . . . “

“I know. I’ll never know their hearts, but it’s more than that. It’s almost like I need to step up somehow, to ensure that future generations of Cooper’s will have the opportunity to hear about Jesus and the Gospel.”

“Wow, Jen, that’s a tall order. How could you accomplish something like that?”

“That’s the thing. I think I know.”

Angie looked at me sideways, waiting.

“After that dream, I spent the rest of the night praying. By the time I got up, I was confident that God is directing me to write.”

“Write? Really? You could probably do that. You wrote that poem for the Christmas party last year.”

I stared at Angie, considering her words. “Well, sure, I’ve done some things for my own amusement, but I don’t think I’m ready for all my descendents to be judging my results.”

“So, what can you do?”

I couldn’t keep the wonder from my face. “This is the really cool part. Last week I was surfing the web, and I came across a Christian writers’ site. It’s called Faithwriters. I took the time to explore and was very impressed.”

“First, writers sign up. Once you do that, you can post your Christian writing. There’s another place you can get your writing critiqued. That’s a good idea, especially for a beginner like me.”

“I didn’t know there were sites like that. But what if their critiques say you’re no good?”

“I don’t think that’s how it works. I think they tell you how to improve your writing. But I saw something else on the homepage. They have twelve Christian writing courses. And interactive writing forums, so I would be able to ‘talk’ to experienced writers.”

“This site sounds quite comprehensive.”

“I haven’t even told you half of it. There’s a writing challenge. That looked like a pretty big deal. I guess you write to a prompt, and there’s a deadline and a word limit . . . and something about little gold boxes, but I haven’t figured it all out yet. Doesn’t that seem like a good way to practice and improve? Oh, and they sponsor a Christian Writer’s Conference.”

Angie grinned. “You know Jen, it appears you have already decided to try this out. If you really believe you need to write, I agree that Faithwriters may be the place for you to start. Let me know how it goes.”

http://www.faithwriters.com/article-det ... ?id=150249

http://debbiege.blogspot.com/2012/07/ou ... re_86.html

Deborah Engle #29095
Granny's Pen

Lois
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Postby Lois » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:02 pm

Trim and Fit

Autumn leaves crunched under foot as Lisa and Joanne jogged through the park. Soon the crisp frosts of winter would be here, but today the cool air was refreshing and invigorating.

“How’s your writing going, then?” asked Joanne, steamy breaths billowing as she ran.

“Hopeless. I seem to be in a rut, and I’m going nowhere.” Lisa was grateful for her friend with whom she could be honest. With most people she said fine, fine, when asked the same question. It was easier than getting into complicated explanations.

“I need help,” she continued.

“Well, you’ve come a long way already,” Joanne encouraged her. “I’ll tell you what helped me most when I was at your stage; I joined FaithWriters. Membership gave a new boost to my writing, helped me to focus my stories and think about what I was doing. It’s also great to have an outlet that is openly Christian and have fun sharing your faith.”

“Sounds great, tell me more.”

“I started with the weekly writing challenge. Every week they give you a topic with a tight word count, between 150 and 750 words, and you write a short piece on that topic.”

“Sounds intriguing.”

“It is, and the best thing is that in the following week other people comment on your article, and you can read what others have written and comment on their pieces for them. You learn such a lot from seeing how other people treat the topic.”

“Wow.” The women jogged steadily while the swish of passing cyclists and the hum of nearby traffic accompanied them.

“It’s just like our jogging,” Joanne suddenly broke their reverie. “Remember we started this because we wanted to trim down a bit? It’s the same in our writing. It can be very flabby using all sorts of unnecessary words, and the writing challenge helps us to get our writing trim and fit.”

“I’m definitely interested,” said Lisa. “Is that all there is?”

“Oh no, there is a lot more. Through the FaithWriters
website you have access to Christian writing courses, forums and conversations about various writing topics, Christian articles, and you can post your Christian writing on their website. Also if you have a problem you have access to helpful people who will answer your questions.”

“Wow, it sounds wonderful. How do I join?”

“Go to the website, http://www.faithwriters.com, and follow the instructions, it tells you what to do. It does cost a bit, but I think it’s worth it because it helps so much. They also have writing contests with cash prizes, so you might even earn some of your money back.”

“Make my fortune, eh, that’s just what I want.”

“Well, maybe not a fortune, but it’s great to think your work is worth something.”

They kicked the autumn leaves aside as they reached the bus stop.

“You’ll be glad if you do it,” said Joanne. “It’s really easy, and the feedback from other people is so encouraging.”

Lois Farrow # 44742

Posted to:
http://www.faithwriters.com/myaccount/submit.php
http://www.margo19.blogspot.co.nz
viewtopic.php?f=92&t=35527

seasalt44
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)

Postby seasalt44 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:57 pm

Reaching Out
Even on one of the “can’t get ‘em up” days I can sit down at my computer and reach across the miles to someone that needs encouragement. To me this is God’s hand extended so I must carefully listen to Him and send forth the message that He wants me to place on the AllAboutGod site. Bringing comfort across the miles is just one of the joys of being an AllAboutGod responder and content writer. Years ago I responded to a find the writer ad[url][/url] placed on Faithwriters [[url][/url]place URL here] by the people who were starting the AllAbout God.com website.

I would have never known this wonderful experience had I not taken the plunge and signed up [[url][/url]place URL here]at the Faithwriters. Sitting at the computer, writing in the trailer was a good experience. My lakeside view relaxed and inspired me but to keep writing with no goals, even though I disciplined myself to write at least a little everyday, just wasn’t taking me anyplace.

I begin on the faithwriters site by posting some articles [[url][/url]place URL here], and then entered the writing challenge [[url][/url]place URL here] and made a few tentative outreaches by submitting article to the critique circle [[url][/url]place URL here]. The encouragement I received was just what I needed. Sometimes when you are alone writing it really helps to be able to reach out and get a response. Faithwriters supplied that for me.

Paid assignments [[url][/url]place URL here] were the “icing on the cake”. I was hooked and thoroughly enjoyed my experiences as a 500 member. I had to leave for a while but you just don’t leave a good thing forever if you can avoid it. I have recently returned to enjoy the Faithwriter Platinum Member benefits of putting my ebook on the site and selling my book.

Having the opportunity to pray for people you would never come in contact with in your own environment is one of the biggest blessings of Faithwriters. It is good to pray and to have people praying for you when you have a special need.

Faithwriters, what a blessing.

Brenda Klutz Blakely

Placed on Faithwriters, Wordpress, Blogger, and Yanger.

Jiffer
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)

Postby Jiffer » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:43 pm

What to Do with Your Amazing Stories

Hovering discreetly, the two figures draped their legs over the banister rail. Below them they observed the antics of two women around a kitchen island.

“Are you kidding me? Give me that.” Renee grabbed the can of whipped cream and crafted an impressive mound atop her fudge sundae.

Sophie gaped at the concoction. “How do you stay so thin?”

“Well,” Renee’s words were muffled by the massive bite she had just shoved in her mouth, “I burn a lot of energy trying to figure out how to get you to write.”

Renee rolled her eyes. “I’m telling you, you’re the only one who actually wants to read my writing. I don’t even know why I let you read that story.”

“Umm . . . maybe because it was amazing? And maybe because you know you need someone to kick you in the booTAY?”

Renee licked her spoon and eyed her friend. “BooTAY?”

“Yes, booTAY. It’s that skinny thing you need to sit on while you think up more amazing stories.”

“Mm hmm . . . and just what do you suggest I do with these amazing stories?”

Renee shrugged. “Enter a writing contest?”

Zeke bumped the figure beside him, nearly toppling him over the rail. “This is your cue.”

“Cue for what?” Gus regained his balance and rubbed his arm.

“Don’t be a doofus. You know the reason the Father sent us here was to point Renee to FaithWriters.com.”

“Yeah? Well? So, why do I have to do it?”

“Because your the angel in training, not me. I direct. You do . . . so go . . . do.”

“Alright fine. I’ll just go tell her to check out FaithWriters.com. How hard could it be?”

Zeke concealed a smirk as his feathered friend hopped off the rail, swooped into the kitchen and nestled himself on the counter between the two women. He looked Sophie in the eye and clearly enunciated the words, “Faith Writers."

Renee scraped the fudge off the sides of her goblet. “Maybe there’s a website where you can post your Christian writing and get your writing critiqued.”

Gus twisted his head toward Renee. “Yeah. Hellooo. I just said it. FaithWriters. Go toFaithWriters.com.

Sophie put the lid on the ice cream. “That would be great. I think I’d feel safer in a Christian environment. I wonder if there’s a site that offers Christian writing courses . . . maybe even opportunities for paid writing assignments.

Gus peered at Zeke.“What up? Clearly they’re not paying attention.”

Zeke smiled. “Yes, but it’s very entertaining from up here.” He moved his gaze to the laptop in front of Gus.

Gus eyed the open device. “What? You want me to . . .? Ohhh!

He flashed a gander at Sophie and then Renee, still gabbing with spoons in hand.

Tipping forward, he studied the keys on the computer. With his two index fingers he managed to locate the “F” key, and then the “A”. One by one he found all the letters that make up faithwriters.com.

He grinned at his accomplishment and eyed his mentor above. Zeke just shook his head in bewilderment. “How does he not know how to type?

Looking back at the keyboard, Gus hit the enter key and then jumped off the counter with triumphal expectancy.

His radiant smile vanished, however, as the women began to clean up their mess.

“I’ll put the whipped cream away,” Renee smirked before squirting a glob in her mouth.

“You’re hopeless.” Sophie wiped the counter near the laptop and paused.

“Hey, let’s do a Google search.”

“Okay.”

Sophie took a look at the screen and squinted. “What’s this?”

Tah dah!” Gus raised his hands in jubilation.

Jennifer Suchey
Member ID# 54251

http://theauthorwithin.wordpress.com/20 ... c5f8104cee

http://jennifersuchey.wordpress.com/201 ... g-stories/

http://www.facebook.com/JiffChick?ref=profile

http://www.faithwriters.com/article-det ... ?id=150360

weapon413
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Postby weapon413 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:52 am

The Beginning

His words assaulted her like a series of jabs and uppercuts. She often thought that physical blows would be easier to take. And even though she should have gotten used to it by now, she never really did.

“Did you work out today? Don’t you ever want to look good?”

“What are you wearing? Don’t embarrass me.”

“You look like a freakin’ __________!” (insert derogatory comparison here - homeless person, old lady, boring mom, etc.)

Is this really how Christian husbands were? And it wasn’t only about looks. When, wanting to serve, she took a huge step of faith to be a Sunday School teacher, she was met with, “You’re not qualified; you’re not a teacher!”

She tried hard not to listen, but the constant, careless words sank deep into her soul, regularly beating her down and leaving her confused, hurting, tired and broken. She struggled daily to try to be the good wife and mother, while her love for him died a slow, painful death.

It had been another brutal night as she sat at the computer, aimlessly scrolling through emails, fighting back the tears. A familiar name popped up in her inbox - FaithWriters .com. She always loved writing and participated in their weekly writing challenge several times, but lately inspiration seemed very far away. Still, she remembered how she enjoyed the site and clicked the link to see what was new.

There were Christian articles of every kind on every subject, from Jesus and the gospel to poetry to world affairs. As she browsed around, there was a stirring inside, that spark of creativity almost snuffed out by the struggle of her daily life. It felt so good, this almost forgotten part of her awakening again. She remembered the dreams she once had of writing, especially to help or instruct others.

Suddenly, the moment was broken. An insidious voice hissed in her ear, ‘you’re not qualified; you’re not a teacher!’ The self-doubt she struggled with about her appearance, her abilities and her attitudes spilled over now into her aspirations. What was she thinking? She couldn’t even help herself right now and she wanted to try to help others?

Embarrassed at getting so caught up, she quickly logged in to remove her email from the list. Why be reminded of another inadequacy? Once in her account, she saw the list of her posted writings . She knew them well, but it seemed like they were written a lifetime ago. Then she saw it - the area where she submitted to have her writing critiqued .

Slowly, she read the words of her fellow FaithWriters :

“You have a gift.”

“This blessed me so much.”

“Don’t ever stop writing!”

The tears she had been holding back began to flow. How had she forgotten this? This community of Christian writers was there to support her, even when others were not. They understood the power of words and used them to help her, not hurt her. Maybe she really was more capable than she had been told all this time. The spark inside her began to ignite.

Words had all but ruined her self-worth, but perhaps they could now be a rescue. Although she had no idea what was to come, she no longer felt alone. And for the first time in a very long time, she had hope, which is the beginning of faith, which is the beginning of everything.

Lori Othouse
Member ID # 8826

http://infyouz.wordpress.com/2012/07/25/the-beginning/

http://www.faithwriters.com/article-det ... ?id=150332

https://contributor.yahoo.com/library/
"... being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus."
Phil. 1:6

maziz777
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Postby maziz777 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:31 am

Take my hand, Let’s make this count.

It was so miserable. Grey skies, cold and windy. My husband and I really looked forward to a day where we could get away from it all. But this was it. Although, there was an aura about it, like an adventure was awaiting.

We walked hand in hand, not a burden on our shoulders and with no real destination. We stumbled upon an old building. Absolutely stunning, full of character and edged with mystery. Just glimpses were exchanged between us as we both knew we couldn't pass up the opportunity to walk in.

As my heels hit the marble floor and bounce their echoes on the walls, my heart felt the need to be silent and breathe it in. It was a magnificent church with ceilings that stretched far above me. Its beauty declared its age from one generation to another.

We had just walked into the last minutes of a bible study. People were getting up, walking around and whispering.

As we went around, looking at the pictures and writings on the walls, I looked in front of me and saw a huge, robust book incased in glass.

It was beautiful, wonderful and there for me to see. The Bible, God's word preached from by priests dating back to the 1400s. It laid out open in front of us, stirring curiosity in our eyes to read it.

It was so hard to understand and after just a few words, I gave up. But it made me ponder on how God creatively and sovereignly called different people from all around the world just to bring us to a time and day like this. A time where we have the bible at our fingertips, understandable and with so much help with commentaries and writings to help us grasp what God has done for us even more. But it doesn't stop there. God still calls people to leave a legacy for the next generations so that they may have a better chance of knowing Him and glorifying Him.

I want to make sure I’m leaving a legacy behind for my children and their children. I want to Glorify God for all that He is worth. One of the ways that I’ve started to do this is by going to the writer sign up page on FaithWriters. This is what I feel God has asked of me; to write about Jesus and the Gospel, so that all can know of the one who loves them.
I can now look up Christian articles, find a Christian writer and try my hand at a Writing Challenge or two.

In God’s grace and strength I can now write about Him, for Him and for generations to come.

Maryan Aziz

Also posted in Worpress.

mikeedwards
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby mikeedwards » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:07 am

This Contest Ends Here. -Romans 8:28 -

Soon to come will be a contest where you write a gripping article about the need for clean water and one about saving kids out of the sex slave trade overseas. In them you will be required to insert links to the ministry we are supporting. There will be prizes for these contests. They will be held in September and much advance notice will be given.

Thanks to all who entered and God Bless, Mike

Area below for winners to comment on their win. Also others to enter their comments and praise for the winners below.
We need God's Grace because of God's Truth.

weapon413
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Re: FaithWriters Writing CONTEST #3 WINNERS ARE HERE!

Postby weapon413 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:43 pm

Wow, so excited and humbled to place in this contest! I love the idea of being able to promote Christian sites and polishing our writing skills at the same time. Congratulations to everyone and I'm looking forward to future opportunities to use my words for God's glory!! God bless, everyone! :D

Lori
"... being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus."
Phil. 1:6

helen1975
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Postby helen1975 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:22 pm

Congratulations everyone!!!!!!

Blessings,

Helen

(I haven't read the articles as yet, but will definitely do so this afternoon :D ).

Granny's Pen

Postby Granny's Pen » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:57 pm

What a surprise to see my name on the winners list. I've had fun with these contest, and have read so many wonderful entries.
Granny's Pen

carpenterdaughter
Pencil 4 (150-199 Posts)
Pencil 4 (150-199 Posts)

Postby carpenterdaughter » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:56 pm

Congratulations to all the winners! May God richly bless your efforts by using your words to draw hearts to a saving knowledge of Jesus and all the ways that He uses our talents to reach the hearts and minds of mankind.

I have to confess, here, my own frustration with my efforts and my own questions as to whether or not this is the place for my words--or even if this is my "calling." It is God who works and not us . . . our efforts are foolishness, but to be Graced by His Presence in our efforts, that's a different story altogether--the most beautiful of stories for both a writer and a reader.

May we all find that place where our efforts meet His Grace!

Next

Return to Writing/Blogging Contests for Paid Writing Opportunities