To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Am I the only one?

If you're a non-fiction writer (other than inspirational articles and devotionals) this is the place for you.

Moderators: Deb Porter, RedBaron

ChristineMuir
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Am I the only one?

Postby ChristineMuir » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:53 am

Am I the only person on faithwriters that writes non-fiction? surely not....

Christine

Deb Porter
FaithWriters and Site Admin
FaithWriters and Site Admin

Re: Am I the only one?

Postby Deb Porter » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:13 am

Hi Christine.

No, you definitely aren't, and hopefully you'll bring a bit of discussion back here. There was quite a lot, but unfortunately we had a problem on the boards recently with forums being auto-pruned too soon.

So let's see some non-fiction chat happening again.

Love, Deb
Finesse Writing & Editing Service

FaithWriters' Writing Challenge Co-ordinator

Coming Soon ... Breath of Fresh Air Press (the home of FaithWriters' Books)

Laurie
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Postby Laurie » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:26 pm

I write non-fiction. :)

helen1975
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Postby helen1975 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:44 am

Hi Christine!

What sort of non-fiction do you write?

Blessings,

Helen

pheeweed

Postby pheeweed » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:14 am

My first love in reading was fiction, so I always thought I was a fiction writer too. But my first publication was non-fiction (a human interest newspaper article) and since then, most of my experience has been non-fiction. Thanks to FW I've learned that my fiction needs a lot of work. I think I've learned a lot and my fiction is improving, but in the meantime, I'm writing non-fiction because it comes naturally.

I've written news articles, manuals, content articles, book reviews and now I have a blog with short devotionals and I'm working on several Bible studies.

Now it's someone else's turn to share.
Phee
A friend of the Bridegroom

http://www.delightedmeditations.blogspot.com

"And now, dear brothers and sisters, one final thing. Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise." Philippians 4:8 NLT

cdawson41
Pencil 4 (150-199 Posts)
Pencil 4 (150-199 Posts)

Postby cdawson41 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:44 am

I also prefer to write non-fiction. I've taken a stab at a couple of devotionals and really think I should work more on those and get better at them.

I've been through a lot in the past three years and God has been teaching me even when I thought He had forgotten me. Often times I can take almost any word they give me and tie it into these hills and valleys.

The one thing that is really hard for me in writing nonfiction is that people sometimes get concerned because my stories are always full of right in your face faith, hope etc. Sometimes you have to read between the lines to get it. Often times when we do the challenges and they give us a word I pull out an experience and write about that part of it, but with the limit on words the entire story doesn't get written, only a snippet of it.

Having had four major surgeries in the past three years and being left disabled and with chronic pain all of my days are not happy go lucky kind of days but it doesn't mean the faith or hope is gone. I don't know it's hard to explain. :D
Cynthia

For I know the plans I have for you declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:11

Profile Page FaithWriters
http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=58736

My Web/Blog Page
http://cynthiad.weebly.com

RonB
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Postby RonB » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:26 pm

Add me to your non-fiction writers, and there's bound to be more.

My current writing is in the form of a daily devotional blog, bit.ly/x5n6lO, in which I write six devotional messages each week. I have been doing this since February of this year and continue to be amazed at the growing number that read my blog.

Sometimes I think about doing some fiction writing, but haven't taken that on yet.

Let's hear it for the non-fiction writers! :superhappy

RonB

pheeweed

Postby pheeweed » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:34 pm

Ron, I'm impressed. I have a devotional blog too, but have a hard time posting three a week. May God continue to bless it.
Phee

"And now, dear brothers and sisters, one final thing. Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise." Philippians 4:8 NLT

helen1975
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Postby helen1975 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:37 pm

Thanks for sharing everyone!

I joined FWers to become a writer. Of course, in my mind that meant fiction. I've soon realised that non-fiction writing is what I love, and in fact what I'd been writing most of my life!

I, too, have done various bible studies - mostly for kids/youth camps - and dramas/skits for church services. I can still remember the thrill of having God prompt me to write my first drama, at a performing arts camp with The Salvation Army. And the bible studies for these camps were my heart's delight.

Nearly 18 months has passed since I joined and I have learnt so much about so many things - grammar, show, don't tell ( :roll: ) - both of which I thought I had down-pat . . . until I read through the writing lessons in the forums! :oops: 8). So this quarter I've decided to try and make each challenge entry a piece of fiction, focusing especially on the show, don't tell style and my intro's and titles. It's so hard! I just desperately want to go back to what is now so very comfortable, but this is a necessary step forward for me :)

Thanks for reading!

Blessings, Helen

seasalt44
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)

Postby seasalt44 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:49 pm

I find myself writing mostly true stories and/or fiction based on a true or partially true story. I am write Bible Study and study courses. I love to write curriculum, probably comes from being a teacher. But every once and a while I get into that deep section of my brain that shelters the really creative part of me and am totally surprised at what comes forth.

I think the biggest part of being a writer is discipline. I have a multitude of ideas and things I would like to write about but it is me not God. I have to discipline myself to stay on His track. But occasionally I take a vacation and let "er rip". Pouring out what has been stored up for a while. Sometimes its ripe and sometimes it isn't. But then it is back to work.

Fiction has a format, you gotta make it real or at least believable. I sometimes find that non fiction format is difficult to develop. When i think of it as curriculum-the course to run-it comes easier. What do you do to set up the format and design?

pheeweed

Postby pheeweed » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:21 pm

Format is determined by the genre. Devotionals have a different format than book reviews. But I think that for the most part I follow the basic essay format. Introduction, body, conclusion. I teach my students to write a thesis statement first, then determine key points and supporting points and write the body from there, writing the introduction and conclusion last. But I don't tend to follow those steps because in writing the introduction I am formulating the thesis and key points. But I still use that basic formula. Was that too much information?
Phee

tomoral

Postby tomoral » Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:27 pm

i write both, and sometimes I mix them up, "inspired by true stories" the only story I've sold so far was non fiction....i think im a little better at those, my imagination just isnt that good.

Non fiction is good!! :clap :clap
God Bless the beasts and the children
Give them shelter from the storms.
Children are our tomorrow
Keep them daily from the sorrow
Of the beasts in life

http://www.faithwriters.com/websites/my ... p?id=57394

ChristineMuir
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Postby ChristineMuir » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:24 am

It seems that Im not the only one :-)

I wrote a lot of non fiction in the past (on the published page of my website/blog you can see some of it) then I moved over to fiction, writing short stories for womens magazines - however the market in the UK for these is pretty saturated, but I had some success.

Ive also written non fiction features for various magazines as well, but want to get back to my Christian writing roots, so am concentrating on writing for Christian publications and looking for new markets there.

Christine

SparrowMinistries
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Postby SparrowMinistries » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:44 pm

Hi Christine,
I just got started on FaithWriters-still trying to find my way around. I consider myself a non-fiction writer, but mine is more like devotional/inspirational messages from the Bible. I just started a Creative Writing program with a non-fiction emphasis. I guess I am not altogether sure what that will entail. I want to write books that help people overcome emotional and relational struggles. I admire people who can write fiction, I have not even had the courage to try it. I guess it is all in what each of us is called to. Nice meeting you.
Sondra

vasquezsavage
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Postby vasquezsavage » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:05 pm

Hi guys! I have written a autobiographical novel entitled "Journey to Repentance". It is my story. I fostered/adopted kids for 11 yrs. and was a 31 yr. social worker. This is my first attempt. I want to go on & tell more of the kids and parents stories that have gone through the system. I write poetry, greeting cards, wall art/photos, and a daily Christian blog on facebook and my website. I too am disabled and have alot of time. I look forward to chatting more on this non-fiction subject. There is a wide range of interests here. I could learn alot! God bless! vs

Next

Return to Non-Fiction Forum