To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Hi all! I'm new here!

If Fiction is your forte, this is the forum for you. This is the place to share information and get help on the road to writing the next great novel.

Moderators: itsjoanne, Sparrow, RedBaron

cdafrica
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Hi all! I'm new here!

Postby cdafrica » Thu May 03, 2012 9:42 am

Hi All!

Hope everyone is well. I'm at this website and not sure where to start.

When I was in high school 17 years ago, I started writing a book. Through the years, I've picked it up and down. I've been really frustrated with, until recently. This past fall, I signed up for a night class called, "Write A Novel In A Month." The teacher really helped me to stop listening to that voice that says, "You're doing it all wrong." She said for now just get it on paper. I also said, "Lord, if I write this book, I want it to bring glory to your name."

The book is set in castle time, with Kings and Queens, etc. I can't think of the word right at the moment. It's about a girl who doesn't know that she is a princess, because she has amnesia. Her father (who really isn't her father) was killed by the enemy. She is very bitter and wants revenge. Through all of this I want her to find the Lord and forgiveness. I don't know how to make God tangible to her and the reader without getting too mystical. I love the Narnia movies, but I can't use that.

Any advice?

Thanks! :D

Johnasleetrotter
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Re: Hi all! I'm new here!

Postby Johnasleetrotter » Thu May 03, 2012 11:04 am

seeing ass monks played a major role back then prehaps you can have one play a part in her life.

Johnasleetrotter
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Postby Johnasleetrotter » Thu May 03, 2012 11:05 am

my apologies ass=as

cdafrica
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Postby cdafrica » Thu May 03, 2012 3:03 pm

Thanks! I'll chew on that :D

Arpy
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)

Postby Arpy » Wed May 09, 2012 1:53 pm

He, he, he!

You sound like a writer after my own heart--Kings, Queens, amnesia, castles :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: . I don't know, but those things just get me! All right, amnesia is in a category of its own with me, but all the same. . . .

Do get it down on paper, like the lady said. (It was a lady, right? Yes.) I have to force myself to do that too. Not being very old, I'm always feeling like the story is absolutely childish and unoriginal. But it isn't really. (So I'm told.)
Arpy

I write adventures, historical fiction, war stories, fantasies, psychological and spy thrillers.

IN PROGRESS:
Snaga - fan fiction fantasy
Emira - action adventure
Confessions of an Evil Genius - psychological thriller
The Play-Actor - sci-fi, historical, psychological spy thriller
Dreamreader - YA psychological thriller
A fantasy without a title
RECENT DRAFTS:
Royal Opposition - action adventure

tomoral
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Postby tomoral » Wed May 09, 2012 4:52 pm

hey, i dont know a whit about any of those things, but it does sound intriuging. I just wanted to say hello and welcome!!!! This is a great place to be. :welcome
God Bless the beasts and the children
Give them shelter from the storms.
Children are our tomorrow
Keep them daily from the sorrow
Of the beasts in life

http://www.faithwriters.com/websites/my ... p?id=57394

cdafrica
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Postby cdafrica » Wed May 16, 2012 7:01 pm

Hey Avatar Arby,

Did I do your name right?

Anyways, thanks for the encouragement :) Right now I'm having a hard time with the plot. It's about a princess who has amnesia and is a very angry bitter person. Eventually finds out who she is and also finds God in all of this. She learns to forgive and that vengeance belongs to the Lord. How do I make God tangible to her on the reader without being too mystical. I love the Narnia movies, but I can't take from that. I like how they make God tangible to Peter, Edmund, Susan, and Lucy and to the people watching.

Any advice?
~Cara

cdawson41
Pencil 4 (150-199 Posts)
Pencil 4 (150-199 Posts)

Postby cdawson41 » Wed May 16, 2012 11:30 pm

:welcome I'm so glad you found this site. I have been here less than a month and have found this to be such an amazing place. Even though you are working on a book I would strongly suggest you take part in the weekly writing challenges, they are fun and a great way to get critiques on your writing. I'm finding that to be so helpful. I do not get all sugar coated responses, they do tell me if I've messed a thing up, give suggestions on how I could fix it and also tell me the things they do like. I just found Jan's basic writing lessons on here and wow there is a wealth of information there so I would sure check that out as well. And a tip for reading the boards. When you come to the boards click on the link that says view new posts. That way you can see what is current and look trough the older ones as you have time to do so. I hope that you are a paying member, if you are then there are also free writing classes that are outstanding and so helpful. I sure hope you enjoy your time here as much as I am. I don't have suggestions for your story, that is out of my relm he he he, but good luck with it. I look forward to reading some of it if you post it on here. Good luck and God Bless!
Cynthia

For I know the plans I have for you declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:11

Profile Page FaithWriters
http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=58736

My Web/Blog Page
http://cynthiad.weebly.com

smittyfan
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Postby smittyfan » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:48 pm

:welcome It's nice to have you here. :mrgreen:

I love your story idea! :thumbs It's my dream to write within that same genre as well, although a little more on the romantic side. :mrgreen:

Maybe you could try modeling your character after a friend that has gone through a similar situation of hating GOD, but then coming back around. :wink:
Be :arrow: :mrgreen: Not :arrow: :coolsign

lauralnm
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Postby lauralnm » Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:01 am

Maybe, just maybe, you could thicken the plot and as she comes out of the amnesia (for whatever reason), she starts talking to a friend who knew her before the amnesia who tells her she's been praying for her to come out of the prison of the amnesia. Still confused somewhat, the two begin talking and she is eventually lead to the Lord by her friend. Corny? Who's to say at 12:58 a.m.! Something to perhaps toss around though. :) BTW, welcome to the greatest website ever. Glad you found it! blessings...laura

beaedwards
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby beaedwards » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:25 am

I really like that twist about her friend revealing that she had been praying for her. Don't think it's corny at all but rather a brilliant way to incorporate the Lord into the story. Perhaps there could also be allusions to a time where forgiveness was needed between the two friends that is now coming into the characters recall.
I think you have come to the right place to be encouraged as there are tons of creative genius' all over this site...not me of course, I am a reader and enjoyer of words-sadly not a writer, but you will find plenty of expert advise here by folks with years of experience and love to share.
:welcome

Sparrow

Postby Sparrow » Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:57 am

Welcome! I finally managed to get my first full novel down on paper through a novel-in-a-month competition, too--National Novel Writing Month. It's every November.

For the spiritual aspect in your book, you could make up a fantasy name for God, or use an allegorical king and prince to represent God and Jesus.
Amy Michelle Wiley
Check out my booklet, Bring Your Writing to Life: a writer's guide to "show; don't tell". Buy it here.
My Website, Sparrow's Flight

Arpy
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)

Postby Arpy » Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:36 pm

Interestingly, I recently finished the rough draft of a novel--in a month! I echo the idea of a fanciful name for God, but the king and the prince might be over-used. Perhaps something like a Duke and his heir or some other kind of nobility. . . .
Arpy

I write adventures, historical fiction, war stories, fantasies, psychological and spy thrillers.

IN PROGRESS:
Snaga - fan fiction fantasy
Emira - action adventure
Confessions of an Evil Genius - psychological thriller
The Play-Actor - sci-fi, historical, psychological spy thriller
Dreamreader - YA psychological thriller
A fantasy without a title
RECENT DRAFTS:
Royal Opposition - action adventure

deejay

Postby deejay » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:52 pm

The Chronicles of Narnia referred to God as the Emperor Beyond the Great Sea, and Aslan the Lion was His Son.

tonguethaid

Postby tonguethaid » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:17 pm

If you share truth and truly whats at the depth of your heart- that will come through your writing. Obivously quoting scripture is not an option, but focusing on the attributes of God, you could have anything(one) embody those characteristics.

Aslan is a great example of that, but I think if you want something truly unique you may have to use those creative juices :wink:
♥Kara

“The true harvest of my life is intangible - a little star dust caught, a portion of the rainbow I have clutched” ~ Henry David Thoreau

"If you are a dreamer,come in. If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar, a hoper, a prayer, a magic-bean-buyer. If you're a pretender, come sit by my fire, for we have some flax-golden tales to spin. Come in! Come in!" ~ Shel Silverstein

Next

Return to Fiction Forum