To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Book date estimate?

Information and announcements about new Mixed Blessings Anthologies which are a compilation of the Editors' Choice winning Writing Challenge entries.

Moderator: Deb Porter

ElizaEvans
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Re: Book date estimate?

Postby ElizaEvans » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:09 pm

I don't think anyone was being "un-Christian" At all.

People have to have a safe place to say how they feel. 6 years IS a very long time. People have been amazingly patient. Maybe I have missed it but this is bascially the first thread I have seen like this and I have been here for 3 years.

WRITING CHALLENGE ARTICLES

lish1936
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Postby lish1936 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:50 pm

Deb wrote:So they will happen (honest). Please keep me in prayer. All the doors are open for me to walk through, but it seems the enemy loves to trip my feet out from under me on a regular basis (like now).

Thanks for sharing, Deb.
I think most, if not all of us Faithwriters appreciate the blood, sweat, and I'm sure tears that you put into this great site. I can't speak for everyone, but when I know what to pray for, I do. It's the not knowing that creates a vacuum that leads to discouragement and apathy.

I don't know if this is appropriate to say here, but after I read your comments, Exodus 18:18-23 came to mind. Very often God is trying to nudge us into doing something we have yet to see or accept. When our spiritual eyes are opened and we accept it, the enemy loses his control. I pray that you will have God's mind in all things. It might mean a better/different way to accomplish goals; but a less stressful YOU.

Blessings,

Lillian :typing2
E-Book - Retirement Lane - How to Celebrate Life After 60

Fortunate 500

I write even when I think I can't, because I must. :-)

I love to write. Nothing escapes the crush I have on the written word. I'm hooked on words!!

"Let words bewitch you. Scrutinze them, mull them, savor them, and in combination, until you see their subtle differences and the ways they tint each other." Francis Flaherty

CatLin

Postby CatLin » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:22 pm

Now that I've been chastised, I'll go back to my corner and hush.
Catrina Bradley
FaithWriters Profile
Scattered Seeds
Jewels of Encouragement

"God rewrote the text of my life when I opened the book of my heart to his eyes." Psalm 18:24 (The Message)

RedBaron

Postby RedBaron » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:28 pm

I'm sorry if my post was a bit harsh, but it's a bit frustrating to see traffic on the forum practically stop, people not participating, and then what traffic do we get? People complaining about the books not being published. Deb has posted about it. More than once. I know she has, I've read the posts before they vanished due to lack of activity.

I miss seeing a ton of people here. Maybe time would go faster if people got involved on the forum again.

There are a few new people here, some of them I still don't recognize their names and avatars yet. People aren't building the same relationships that they used to build. They stay in a little corner of the forum, if they are here at all.

People say, "But there's Facebook!" Do you know how many things I miss on Facebook until like a month later when I just happen to catch something? FB has its pros and cons, but it will never take the place of this forum.

You know how much I care about everyone here and FWs. I just hate to see the negative stuff, and I had to say something.
<><
Shari
FW 500 Member

"...hunt like a spider..." Cori - FW Con '07

BettyDee

Postby BettyDee » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:29 pm

Praying for Deb and everyone in this thread and that any misunderstandings will disappear.
I'm Bound for the Promised Land

Extramilegirl
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Postby Extramilegirl » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:55 pm

I agree. The answers cotinue to be vague, like "soon" or "we're working on it." Maybe some explanation as to why things are being held up. I know some people said that their pieces won in 2007. That's 5 years ago! I've become frustrated with FaithWriters and don't know if I will renew my membership after the year is up. I know that it's not all about being published, but at the same time, that's what the winners were promised and it feels an awful lot like being strung along with no foreseeable end.

RedBaron

Postby RedBaron » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:06 pm

Extramilegirl wrote:I agree. The answers cotinue to be vague, like "soon" or "we're working on it." Maybe some explanation as to why things are being held up. I know some people said that their pieces won in 2007. That's 5 years ago! I've become frustrated with FaithWriters and don't know if I will renew my membership after the year is up. I know that it's not all about being published, but at the same time, that's what the winners were promised and it feels an awful lot like being strung along with no foreseeable end.

That's just it, people are making it sound like this is being done on purpose. I even had a friend I told about FW, who'd actually found it before I did and said, "All they want is your money!"

It's not on purpose. Deb wasn't happy with the way the books were done before. She decided to start her own publishing company. That's not easy -especially when she's in another country.

Reasons were given - mostly Deb's health.

And if people pull their membership over this, what will that do? Really? It will just put the site back in danger of going under. We just had two new people invest in the future of FW, by buying it for Scott.

I know Deb, she is hardly doing this on purpose to frustrate people. She wants the books to be the best possible. To punish FW and the rest of the members by pulling financial and personal support (by not posting, not participating) will only hurt everyone involved.
<><
Shari
FW 500 Member

"...hunt like a spider..." Cori - FW Con '07

BettyDee

Postby BettyDee » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:38 pm

I just want to say that I don't post here much any more because my interests have changed. FW was a season for me. All of us move on, do other things, develop new interests. My not posting here has absolutely nothing to do with anything or anyone other than ME. I prefer other places at the present. It's just where I am in my life. Besides, I am just getting too old to be stressed over these matters.

Facebook is where my family, my church family and most of my friends are. I enjoy spending time there. I'm not writing much at the present, so it doesn't make a lot of sense for me to stay here, especially when most of my FW friends are on other social sites. However, that doesn't mean I don't wish only the best for FW and the site's new owners. I hope the site grows and prospers.

And I want to add I am really sorry this thread has veered so far from what I intended. It would be okay with me if it was locked.
I'm Bound for the Promised Land

mikeedwards
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby mikeedwards » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:30 pm

Hello everyone,

Thanks again for all of the warm welcomes we received.

I just wanted to let you know, the books are definitely going to happen. Deb is in full charge of this but if she needs help we will be there for her. I know she has had some health issues. Please pray for her health, peace and wisdom.

My guess on the date would be middle of the summer.

In His Grip,
Michael Edwards
We need God's Grace because of God's Truth.

CatLin

Postby CatLin » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:00 am

Amen, and me too, Chrissy. I have no intention of pulling my support. And I've been, and will continue to, pray for Deb. Thanks for the guestimate on the date, Michael! You and Bea are in my prayers too.
Blessings,
Cat
Catrina Bradley
FaithWriters Profile
Scattered Seeds
Jewels of Encouragement

"God rewrote the text of my life when I opened the book of my heart to his eyes." Psalm 18:24 (The Message)

philippa
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)

Postby philippa » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:21 pm

Hi Everyone -
So much has happened since my last visit. :thumbs
New beginnings and sincere gratitude for the old.
I perceive God is very much in control.
Deb I pray that you will be filled with the health that Jesus died to win for you and that we will all look to Him alone to author and manage our writing abilities and subsequent recognition(s). May such submission begin with me of course :D
Cheers, P.

Colswann1

Postby Colswann1 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:32 am

I've just got back off holiday and read some of this thread (enough to get the gist of it) and it made me smile.

I've been a member six or seven years and I've been hoping to avoid those ECs (at least getting 3) because I don't want to go up to the Masters level, simple because I like it in Advanced and want to stay there.

One EC did get through, once upon a time, some years ago but if it's still in the running for a print Deb can put me to the back of the queue, or bin it altogether, if it helps someone to get theirs pushed in.
Colin Swann

Jesus’ love is constant and never wavers.

Wrider

Postby Wrider » Mon May 07, 2012 11:35 am

Maybe I'm just adding to a mess, but I felt compelled to reply as well - to a couple of the subjects brought up here. Please forgive the length.

1) The FW Books
I'll admit, I've also been one that has experienced frustration. For a long time I kept careful track of my ECs, and sat in anticipation. My first EC win was in the "Hidden in the Hymns" book so I was thrilled when that one was published. I was motivated to continue with the Challenges and excited to see more of my ECs in future books. The longer it took though, the less excited I was. I told many people that I would be in more books and... it still hasn't happened, years later. I mentioned future books on my website as an accomplishment... I finally took that off since it had been so long and there was still nothing. I understand about the delays, about Deb starting her own business, and about how much work it takes - especially for one person! Wow! But I'm human too... and while I understand and acknowledge all of that without selfishness... there's still a part of me that is disappointed. It's been so long now that the thrill is gone. It wasn't an anticipated thrill I thought up on my own - upon entering the FW Challenges a few years ago, that was one key motivator that was advertised to gain more participation. Enter, win, be published!

I'm not upset. Just disappointed in what I consider a lack of communication to the FW Challenge participants - especially EC winners who have been waiting literally years to see their entries in print. It's not so much the time that has lapsed as the lack of updates (whether there's actually any news or not) that has become a frustration.

Now I also see that some books may only be in digital format? While I'm sure that thrills a lot of people... that's just another disappointment for me. I can't give my grandmother a digital book. No one in my family has an ebook reader. I can't set a digital book on my shelf. Do I understand? Yes, I do. Am I disappointed? Yes. Am I hoping that my EC entries fall into books chosen to be printed? Yes. I wish I knew if they would be or not.

Am I going to quit supporting FW because of this? No. Am I angry? No. Am I going to go around blaming FW or Deb for delays? No, of course not. Life is a whole lot bigger than waiting on FW books. I've written a whole lot more than my EC winners. To me, the FW books have become far less important - unfortunately, enough time has passed that I've moved on. Will I still be excited to see the books in print? Kind of.

I'm honestly not trying to complain here at all - I hope no one thinks I am. I'm just taking the opportunity to share how I feel as well, and I do hope that's alright and that it isn't taken the wrong way.

2) FW Boards
:sorry I'm hardly here anymore. There are many reasons for that, and I'm sorry that I'm one of the members missing from the boards lately, contributing to the sparseness. I saw someone else call their interaction a "season," and that's kind of how I feel. When I first found FW, it was exactly what I needed. I needed to interact with other writers and gain encouragement. Everyone here was great and I enjoyed joining all sorts of conversations. As time went on, I became busy with other things - not just Facebook. Yes, Facebook takes up some of my online time, but that's not a large contributor to my lack of involvement here.

Some of my involvement slacked off when I was entering the Challenges less. Being a part of the Challenges gave me something to talk about and helped keep me a "part of the gang." When that lessened, so did my reason to interact. My involvement in Challenges lacked because of other writing, lack of free time, lack of inspiration etc.

As the boards changed a little bit with different people and topics, I had a harder time finding my niche. Being gone for a while then coming back, the boards held a different feel. I find it hard to describe - it wasn't bad or wrong, just different and not something to which I could as easily relate. So I backed off again. Returning once more, the place is all but empty. I tried getting back into the groove and threw myself into several topics, but when replies took several days at least (if at all), it defeated my purpose of interacting. So I quit again. Now every once in a while I come snoop, but I find little I can relate to or join. Not complaining - just a fact.

Lots of things have changed around FW. Things feel much differently than they did when I first discovered the site. This has changed how I feel about FW as a whole. Am I still supporting FW? Yes, as long as I can still afford it. I still feel the site has much to offer and I often tell people about it. But for me... I guess lately I have felt other things have been more worth my time.

Love y'all and I do still plan on lurking. :hide
One of these days I might even be able to make it to a conference - something I've always wanted to do.
Rachel B

beaedwards
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby beaedwards » Wed May 09, 2012 9:52 am

Hello and no need to apologize for the length of your post, we value reading your thoughts. As we (Mike and Bea) are still getting assimilated into the site- it REALLY is SO beneficial for us to have this input!!
When we took over FaithWriters we were unaware of these issues however now that we are becoming conscious of certain aspects that need attention we are discussing and formulating plans to address these valid concerns.
We appreciate your continued support and hope to bring new creative aspects to the site.
Blessings,
Mike and Bea

Come forth

Postby Come forth » Wed May 09, 2012 7:02 pm

I'm excited to see that Bea and Mike are going to improve what is already a great blessing. Thanks guys.

I've added a new subject under the feed back thread and given some thoughts there; didn't want to hijack this thread.

There have been so many comments about these books; and I empathize with both sides. Yes, we must give grace and understanding, but it is also disappointing when promises and expectations are not met.

Let us remember that the whole purpose many of us joined this site was for the feedback and enjoyment of our writing going forth (and for many of us we would add 'at long last'). So if the site doesn't deliver that then we would slowly wander off. And that is sad because the other aspect of this is the fellowship and working with each other to help improve what is really great.

My prayer is that we now have a new beginning, may all who remain be able to let go of past hurts and disappointments, forgive all who have expressed opposing views with perhaps abruptness or sharpness and now move on towards the fullness of this ministry in Christ.

And that brings me to the comment about ministry v for profit. That too needs a little understanding. Even if Mike and Bea are independently very wealthy (and this is REALLY none of our business), bless their socks, you can't expect them to cover all the costs just because.

For money or not for money, I pray for this site to become all it can be in the Kingdom; and I begrudge nobody a single penny/cent.

Any ideas you have, comments you wish to make, now is the time for Mike and Bea to hear them. And for Deb (and others that I probably don't know about) to be thanked for being the backbone that has held this together through obvious trials.

Blessings, blessing and more blessings :bow :bow :bow ; Graham
May we all get eyes to see and ears to hear,
A Revelation of His Word, crystal clear.
Admitting our need to be drawn in,
Less of self, more of Him.

My prayer for us all.
God bless us with the Revelation of His Word, Graham
http://www.shekinahcloud.com/page/page/8464330.htm

PreviousNext

Return to Challenge Books - Mixed Blessings