To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Some Encouragement on Critiquing

A good critique is an invaluable tool for improving your work.

You can now use the Critique Circle at the this link: http://www.faithwriters.com/critique-circle.php

For REGULAR ARTICLE SUBMISSIONS, leave a request for an article review from other FaithWriters members on this forum. Be sure to leave the url to your posted article. Or post your article on this forum for review by other members.

Moderators: Deb Porter, cori67, RedBaron

Deb Porter
FaithWriters and Site Admin

Some Encouragement on Critiquing

Postby Deb Porter » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:09 pm

Many people are a little nervous about leaving any form of critique, other than a generic "good work" type response. Sometimes it's fear of offending; other times it is due to a lack of confidence.

Critique does not mean "be mean," so relax. We don't want you to leave the author emotionally bleeding. FaithWriters encourages members to give thoughtful, sincere, helpful and encouraging critique. Consider the article and then give your thoughts on why it did or didn't work. Always look for the positive aspects as well (and there are always some positive aspects, even if just that the author wrote with enthusiasm and from the heart).

If a person posts to the Critique Circle they are looking for red ink. So please don't just leave short "Good Work" posts there. If you thought something was perfect as is, then highlight the reasons why. What was it that spoke to you? Which parts really jumped out? However, it's rare for any of us to get it right first time. Help the author fine-tune their article/poem.

For more information about Critique, please read our post in the FAQs section:

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=28273

Be blessed to be a blessing.

Love, Deb
FaithWriters' Writing Challenge Co-ordinator

Breath of Fresh Air Press - a little publisher with a lot of heart

Connies-House
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Re: Some Encouragement on Critiquing

Postby Connies-House » Fri May 18, 2012 8:37 pm

Hi Deb,
I'm new to the forum, so I really appreciate your instructions!

I tried to submit an article for some feedback, but received an error message that says the file extension PDF is not allowed. Could you please tell me the best way to submit an article for review?

Thanks so much!
Connie
Connie Walcott
http://www.biblecrafts4kids.com
"Where we wage war on the lack of Bible knowledge!"

"For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper and not to harm you, plans for hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11
It's all about God's Good Plan... for ALL of us!

CatLin
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Postby CatLin » Fri May 18, 2012 11:26 pm

Hi, Connie! I'm not Deb, but I know that a PDF file isn't an accepted format at FaithWriters. If you are uploading a file, it needs to be a TXT (text) file. I've found the easiest way is not to upload, but to copy and past the text of your article into the submission box. Hope this helps!
Love
Cat
Catrina Bradley
FaithWriters Profile
Scattered Seeds
Jewels of Encouragement

"God rewrote the text of my life when I opened the book of my heart to his eyes." Psalm 18:24 (The Message)

Deb Porter

Postby Deb Porter » Sat May 19, 2012 4:19 am

Cat, you did a great job being Deb. :lol: Thanks for that.

Yes, Connie. PDF files can't be used. Just copy and paste from a text file (you can use Word, but save it as plain text or just copy and paste).

Love, Deb

Connies-House
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Postby Connies-House » Sat May 19, 2012 9:08 am

Thanks to both of you, Cat and Deb! I'll do that... and then hold my breath for the critiquing!!!
:lol:
Connie Walcott
http://www.biblecrafts4kids.com
"Where we wage war on the lack of Bible knowledge!"

"For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper and not to harm you, plans for hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11
It's all about God's Good Plan... for ALL of us!

EyesStraightAhead
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Postby EyesStraightAhead » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:20 pm

I am a Toastmaster. One of the most beneficial things I have learned from this organization is to leave valuable feedback. I look at the article critique as a chance to help someone improve his/her writing. To leave helpful comments the author will appreciate. I use the "sandwich" technique.

1. Something positive that I enjoyed about the writing.
2. Something I feel could be improved upon.
3. Something else positive that I really enjoyed.

I start positive and end positive. I always leave something to be improved, as none of us are perfect. Each of us can improve something. This can often be hard to find in some of the work posted here. There are some GREAT writers. However, it does not help the writer or me to not leave some comment - even something like "Have you considered starting the story with the quote instead of ending it with one? This may draw readers in early and then you can end with your response to the quote?" That does not say the article isn't great but offers another way to write it.

I love to receive feedback because it helps me to improve. I feel if I don't receive feedback, I am cheated...either the reader didn't like it enough to leave comments or I didn't get any readers!

Here's to great feedback for each of us!
If you like my writing here at FaithWriters, please offer your support by visiting me at one of the following pages to see more of my writing:

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/EyesStraightAhead

HubPages Writing: http://eyesstraightahead.hubpages.com/_faithwriterslike/

cdawson41
Pencil 4 (150-199 Posts)
Pencil 4 (150-199 Posts)

Postby cdawson41 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:29 am

I agree, when I post a story I want the feedback also. I have a list of several places on my computer where I can post works I have done to get feedback. Most of them are a huge disappointment. On one that I tried out well over one hundred people read my story and not one single comment. Though I still have those other sites in my fav file I rarely go there as I consider it a waste of time if people aren't willing to help each other out like they are here.

I do get a bit leary about leaving feedback until I can at least advance out of the beginners level. I have been told before that it makes no difference but while in the beginners level I feel like I'm in learning/training mode. I'm not only learning how to improve my writing but I'm watching how folks critique my writing. I should do a better job of giving feedback to others as I actually become quite sad when I don't have any, however, I want to leave remarks that are knowldgeable and helpful to the writer.

And on a side note since I know Deb :) is reading this. Would it be impossible to put a spell check button on the comment boxes? This is my third night of I'm not gonna sleep and I'm gonna bet money even when I reread this there will be typos in it. It is one of the dangers of being a natural blonde. LOL. (I nearly misspelled blonde, time to try and get some sleep )
Cynthia

For I know the plans I have for you declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:11

Profile Page FaithWriters
http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=58736

My Web/Blog Page
http://cynthiad.weebly.com

HeartSpeaks
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Postby HeartSpeaks » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:08 pm

Thanks for your help with critiquing.

I had the most wonderful critique from someone and would like to print it out. How do I find it again? Forgive me if this is in the newbie forum. Could you direct me to the correct forum posting please? I am a newbie.

amilli
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)

Postby amilli » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:38 pm

HeartSpeaks I think that depends on where you posted your article. If you post it under the general submissions area or in the writing challenge, then you can just go back there and look at the bottom of the article to view the comments. You can copy or print from there. If you post the article in a forum on the message board, then you'll first have to figure out which forum it was (water cooler, article critique etc). Most times more than one person leave a comment so you may have to scroll through the comments, sometimes moving to the next page if there is a lot of comments, until you find the critique you are looking for.

On critiquing,
I am also a beginner and sometimes feel as if I am not qualified to leave a comment on a level 3 or 4 article! But I know that every little bit counts & I may have a fresh perspective to offer so I leave my comments anyhow...still with a little reservation though. I must admit however, that sometimes I just leave a positive comment on articles because I don't want to be "the bad guy" going around always finding faults on every piece! :cop I like the sandwich method though (Something positive, improvement, something positive), Shann shared that with me & am going to start using that.
Amelia

My writing is a passion, not a hobby!

rcthebanditqueen
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)

Postby rcthebanditqueen » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:57 pm

amilli wrote:On critiquing,
I am also a beginner and sometimes feel as if I am not qualified to leave a comment on a level 3 or 4 article! But I know that every little bit counts & I may have a fresh perspective to offer so I leave my comments anyhow...still with a little reservation though. I must admit however, that sometimes I just leave a positive comment on articles because I don't want to be "the bad guy" going around always finding faults on every piece! :cop I like the sandwich method though (Something positive, improvement, something positive), Shann shared that with me & am going to start using that.

I like that method too! I read that and thought of my favorite college professor ever. The first day of class, we thought she was going to stake us out and sacrifice us to the sun god, as it were...we were so scared of her! I muddled through the first assignment and didn't understand it, and then she sat down and went over it with me line by line. I found out the harder you worked, the more she cheered you on. She struck fire from me. She had such a talent for that "encouragement, improvement, encouragement" manner.

GlorytoGod
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Postby GlorytoGod » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:07 pm

Hello,

I am wanting to do an article on the Critique Circle but had a question. In the Critique Circle, when we post an article, does that article go out for permanent post on the website or is it out there only for people to critique the work. So, I am wondering if we get a chance to critique the work and then make any changes before we put the permanent article out to view.

Thanks for anyone who can help me understand how this works. I am trying to dive in and get to work in writing and I just need some guidance from the wise.

Blessings! Charla

Deb Porter

Postby Deb Porter » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:50 pm

Hi Charla. It's just in the Critique Circle. Once you get feedback on it, pull it from the CC, make changes and repost in the Regular Articles.

Love, Deb

GlorytoGod
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Postby GlorytoGod » Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:49 pm

Thank you so much, Deb, that helps me tremendously.
Charla

Shann

Postby Shann » Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:04 pm

I also wanted to stress that no one sees the critiques but the author of the article. . :D
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

Return to Article Reviews/Critiques