To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Book date estimate?

Information and announcements about new Mixed Blessings Anthologies which are a compilation of the Editors' Choice winning Writing Challenge entries.

Moderator: Deb Porter

CatLin
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: Book date estimate?

Postby CatLin » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:56 pm

Chrissy wrote:The anthology that my first EC would have been published in was basically dropped from the list. My 2nd EC, well, that remains to be seen...

Love, Chrissy

What do you mean dropped from the list? Where did you find a list?
Cat
Catrina Bradley
FaithWriters Profile
Scattered Seeds
Jewels of Encouragement

"God rewrote the text of my life when I opened the book of my heart to his eyes." Psalm 18:24 (The Message)

ECSmith
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)

Postby ECSmith » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:09 pm

Same question here Cat and Chrissy; what list? I'm also waiting to find out whether or not my 2 EC stories will be included in an anthology, someday.
:(
Tempered Steel; refine me Lord, as the blacksmith refines precious metal. Sift the impurities from my heart and soul, that I may some day prove to be precious in your sight. -ECS

Sparrow

Postby Sparrow » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:35 pm

CatLin wrote:
Chrissy wrote:The anthology that my first EC would have been published in was basically dropped from the list. My 2nd EC, well, that remains to be seen...

Love, Chrissy

What do you mean dropped from the list? Where did you find a list?
Cat

I'm guessing she's talking about the Heroes book that Deb's been having trouble with. I'm not sure it will never be published, but Deb said many of the stories weren't on topic so she was giving those authors a chance to rewrite their stories. I have four in that book. :|
Amy Michelle Wiley
Check out my booklet, Bring Your Writing to Life: a writer's guide to "show; don't tell". Buy it here.
My Website, Sparrow's Flight

lish1936

Postby lish1936 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:48 pm

Deb's been having trouble with...but Deb said...

Amy,
Do you have connections to inside information? :? Any chance of actually getting more of that
from Deb?

Lillian :typing2
E-Book - Retirement Lane - How to Celebrate Life After 60

Fortunate 500

I write even when I think I can't, because I must. :-)

I love to write. Nothing escapes the crush I have on the written word. I'm hooked on words!!

"Let words bewitch you. Scrutinze them, mull them, savor them, and in combination, until you see their subtle differences and the ways they tint each other." Francis Flaherty

CatLin

Postby CatLin » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:14 am

Amy, that's a bummer! I'm so sorry! Deb is such a sweetheart, tho, to give authors a "second chance".
Catrina Bradley
FaithWriters Profile
Scattered Seeds
Jewels of Encouragement

"God rewrote the text of my life when I opened the book of my heart to his eyes." Psalm 18:24 (The Message)

nybakeram

Postby nybakeram » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:17 am

I understand all the reasons to be part of the Challenge. I agreed with all of them, which is why I was very active for several years. I enjoyed the road from the Beginner to Master Level. It was a privilege and joy to be a judge. All the relationships I've made have been such a blessing. However, the publishing aspect was also an important reason to be in the Challenge.

For me, in May 2011 when my mother died I cried over her body, apologizing for not keeping my promise to her and my father (who died in Sept 2007). They wanted so much to see my ECs in print. They told friends, family, and customers their daughter was being published. They patiently waited to show everyone a real published book with their daughter's stories and name in print. My heart is broken that regardless if the anthologies ever materialize my mother and father will never see them. This has become such an emotional issue for me I haven't written since.

Over the years I've forgotten which stories won and what the quarter was, so I wouldn't even know what titles to be looking for. That goes for my husband's EC stories too. It's not that I'm unsympathetic to the difficulties FWs has run into, but previous books were published even though they also had their share of roadblocks to overcome, and it didn't take them this many years.

I will always have a special place in my heart for FaithWriters but I'm just not sure if I still want to have a place at FWs.
Angela M. Baker-Bridge

To read my FW's Articles & Entries

<b>"Anxiety does not empty tomorrow of its sorrows, but only empties today of its strength." </b>C.H. Spurgeon

RedBaron

Postby RedBaron » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:33 am

yvonne wrote:Faithwriters is much more than winning an EC or having a story printed in a book; it's family of writers who have become such close friends. I'd hate for it to fall apart in this rough stretch of change. :grouphug

^^^^^ This.

Ok, I'm going to step in here and also say (my mod hat is deep in the closet for this) - Why are so many sounding so selfish and unChristian in this thread?

The former books were published by an outside company. Deb decided to start her own business and publish them. That's not an easy task. She's a busy women, not only with what she does for FaithWriters and her family, her ministries at home, not to mention health issues, both hers and her husband's.

I have an EC waiting to be in one of the books as well (and one already published) and it will get there, eventually. Deb wants them to be the best possible. She's ONE WOMAN and there are several books to be published. She's editing each and every one of them. The really early books I believe were printed "as is", warts and all. I'd rather wait another 10 years to see my book and have it done right.

Instead of criticizing her and FW, pray for her and encourage her. How many of you could honestly do all that Deb does on a daily basis? I know I couldn't. She amazes me.

The FW forum has almost been a ghost town, with a few of us still here regularly. I miss seeing everyone here. There are only a few little pockets of activity in a couple sections. That's a shame.

We need to rebuild our family, as I feel like it's been empty nest syndrome :(
<><
Shari
FW 500 Member

"...hunt like a spider..." Cori - FW Con '07

lish1936

Postby lish1936 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:50 am

Shari wrote:Why are so many sounding so selfish and unChristian in this thread?
The FW forum has almost been a ghost town, with a few of us still here regularly. I miss seeing everyone here. There are only a few little pockets of activity in a couple sections. That's a shame.

Each of us in our own way is expressing a love for and an interest in the continued success of Faithwriters. I do not see selfishness expressed here, but disappointment and sadness. As a relatively new member ( two years), I appreciate every comment. Perhaps, if the questions about book publications had been posted earlier, with an immediate answer to the questions, as you Shari and Amy have attempted to do, we could have avoided the "ghost town."

I, for one, am more puzzled by the absence of answers from the Administrators than I am by the absence of the published anthologies. It is not selfish or non-Christian to expect an answer/reason when promises are not kept. We are a forgiving and understanding community of believers, but no one likes to be kept in the dark. It's important to address the issue and/or change the policy, especially for new Faithwriters who come aboard expecting to be published. Eventually, they too will become disillusioned.

To speak the truth in love is a Biblical command. We should never quench or try to deny honest discussion that's done without malicious intent.

E-Book - Retirement Lane - How to Celebrate Life After 60

Fortunate 500

I write even when I think I can't, because I must. :-)

I love to write. Nothing escapes the crush I have on the written word. I'm hooked on words!!

"Let words bewitch you. Scrutinze them, mull them, savor them, and in combination, until you see their subtle differences and the ways they tint each other." Francis Flaherty

glorybee

Postby glorybee » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:00 pm

lish1936 wrote:I, for one, am more puzzled by the absence of answers from the Administrators than I am by the absence of the published anthologies. It is not selfish or non-Christian to expect an answer/reason when promises are not kept. We are a forgiving and understanding community of believers, but no one likes to be kept in the dark. It's important to address the issue and/or change the policy, especially for new Faithwriters who come aboard expecting to be published. Eventually, they too will become disillusioned.

To speak the truth in love is a Biblical command. We should never quench or try to deny honest discussion that's done without malicious intent.

As an administrator, I'll speak to this. The books are Deb's 'thing', and they are her top priority. But she is very ill, and has had health problems on and off for quite a while now. I'd implore you all to be humble and patient.
Jan Ackerson

BettyDee

Postby BettyDee » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:23 pm

Oh my. What a hornet's nest I've stirred up, when all I wanted was an honest, straight forward answer. I still do not think it's too much to ask. I was given a semi concrete answer about the books. It didn't happen. That's okay. I know things come up, but I was only asking again, two years later, to see if there was any change.

If you all could see into my heart, you would see my intentions. And furthermore, if you all knew what was going on in MY life at the present, you would completely understand.

We ALL have problems, challenges, illnesses, whatever. I am not running anyone down, nor am I making judgements upon anyone. All I ask is the same from each of you.

Wow, I wish we could all sit down together and have a loving discussion about this. I meant no harm. Really.
I'm Bound for the Promised Land

RedBaron

Postby RedBaron » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:29 pm

Betty, I know, it's just the direction the thread was starting to take and I didn't like it.

Deb has given updates at the conference and occasionally on the forum. Posts that don't get a response after a certain period of time get eaten. We've lost a lot of threads. So it's quite possible you, and others, who aren't here often simply missed the times Deb has updated us on the books.

Again, there's only so much one woman can do, Deb is no exception. I wonder from time to time about the books, but they really aren't a high priority.
<><
Shari
FW 500 Member

"...hunt like a spider..." Cori - FW Con '07

glorybee

Postby glorybee » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:39 pm

Betty, my plea for humility and patience was not aimed at you specifically, but at everyone who is anxious about the books, on this thread and in private. I know you to have a tender and loving spirit.
Jan Ackerson

BettyDee

Postby BettyDee » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:25 pm

I don't think it's anyone's fault that the FW forums have become a "ghost town". I used to spend a fair amount of time here and at other special interest boards, especially parrot and companion bird boards, but most of them are pretty much dead now.

People seem to enjoy Facebook and Twitter and other "social" sites. Could be they just don't feel the need to go to other sites or just don't have the time. That's how it is with me. "Everyone" is on FB. I don't have to surf all over the internet to find them. Maybe it's just progress and the FW types of forums have outlived their usefulness.
I'm Bound for the Promised Land

Deb Porter
FaithWriters and Site Admin
FaithWriters and Site Admin

Postby Deb Porter » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:42 pm

Hi guys.

I'm sorry I haven't responded to this yet. I'll be honest, I haven't even read the thread (but I will). At the moment, I can only cope with very small amounts of on-line time before I start to feel nauseas. I'm sure it's the medication I'm on right now, which will be easing off in the next seven days.

All I can say is that the books are happening. Mike has given me full control of them (praise God), so we're right to go.

However, as I've mentioned somewhere else, they may not all be in order, and they won't all be going to physical print versions (some will go straight to digital). It will totally depend on whether that theme worked well or not. Most will probably make it to dead tree books though. :D

So they will happen (honest). Please keep me in prayer. All the doors are open for me to walk through, but it seems the enemy loves to trip my feet out from under me on a regular basis (like now).

Love, Deb
FaithWriters' Writing Challenge Co-ordinator

Breath of Fresh Air Press - a little publisher with a lot of heart

yvonne

Postby yvonne » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:09 pm

Deb Porter wrote:
All I can say is that the books are happening. Mike has given me full control of them (praise God), so we're right to go.

However, as I've mentioned somewhere else, they may not all be in order, and they won't all be going to physical print versions (some will go straight to digital). It will totally depend on whether that theme worked well or not. Most will probably make it to dead tree books though. :D

So they will happen (honest). Please keep me in prayer.

Yay! :superhappy ( I just got a Kindle, so I'm ready for the digital, too! )

I'm sorry if I sounded bitter, I'm not really - just feeling a bit down about my writing being at a standstill - and this was part of it. I knew you were over-whelmed with stuff, Deb, and I have been praying for you.
:sorry

((hugs and prayers))

PreviousNext

Return to Challenge Books - Mixed Blessings