... what of it?

Back to the basics with regular Challenge winner, Ann Grover. Weekly lessons to help you hone your basic writing skills.

Moderators: RedBaron, itsjoanne, RedBaron, itsjoanne, RedBaron, itsjoanne

jo555
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

... what of it?

Post by jo555 »

Ok, so I really like using them three periods to indicate a long pause.

Is that approprate?

I tend to use it excessively, yet I want to curb it in my story so have replaced several with commas. Although, now I am wondering if it is appropriate use to indicate a long pause.

Is that ok or is it just used when a sentence is incomplete?

Exhibit A-The long pause:

I am glad you feel that way because...I have another one.

Is that ok or do I need to stick with commas?

Exhibit B-The incomplete sentence:

I'm going to stop saying this is the last one because...

Ok?

???
People may be right in their own eyes, but the Lord looks upon the heart - Proverbs
Anja
Pencil 4 (150-199 Posts)
Pencil 4 (150-199 Posts)

Re: ... what of it?

Post by Anja »

Scroll down in this forum. There is a thread totally devoted to the use of ellipses.

Yes, there are times when using them are completely appropriate, but you'd be correct in not overusing them.

The most common error is the setup, however. There should be spaces, if you get my drift . . .

There's a very useful link posted within that thread by another FW-er.
Ann Grover Stocking

"What remains of a story after it is finished? Another story..." Eli Wiesel
jo555
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Re: ... what of it?

Post by jo555 »

Anja wrote:Scroll down in this forum. There is a thread totally devoted to the use of ellipses.

Yes, there are times when using them are completely appropriate, but you'd be correct in not overusing them.

The most common error is the setup, however. There should be spaces, if you get my drift . . .

There's a very useful link posted within that thread by another FW-er.
Oh, I saw that but didn't know what ellipses meant so didn't even go into that room (wink). I will check it out now so I can catch some of that draft coming in.

I was checking out your information on commas. Very helpful information for another commaholic (tee, hee).

BIG THANKS!
People may be right in their own eyes, but the Lord looks upon the heart - Proverbs

Return to “Ann's Grammar Basics”