To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Got one more...

Back to the basics with regular Challenge winner, Ann Grover. Weekly lessons to help you hone your basic writing skills.

Moderator: itsjoanne

jo555
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Got one more...

Postby jo555 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:48 pm

I think this may be the last one to finish up on this current editing.

What style do you suggest on titles, like movie and music titles, especially as they are found within quotes?

For instance, "My wife talked me into watching Dancing with the Stars with her and I missed Monday Night Football."

I was using single quotes but after reading something elsewhere on titles I went with capitalizing the titles. Doesn't look right to me, like all blended in together.

Then there are titles within conversation. I don't like how quotes within quotes looks either but think I prefer it over caps.

Can I do italics for titles within quotation marks, like the suggestion on the stressing a word within quotes? I like how that looks.
People may be right in their own eyes, but the Lord looks upon the heart - Proverbs

Anja

Re: Got one more...

Postby Anja » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:45 pm

Jo,

Here's a page that defines when to use quotation marks or italics.

MLA Style Guide for Italics and Quotation Marks

Remember, since we are writers, a book title is always italicized. No quotation marks.
Ann Grover

"What remains of a story after it is finished? Another story..." Eli Wiesel

jo555

Re: Got one more...

Postby jo555 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:38 pm

Thanks. That was very helpful and have saved it for future reference.

:thankssign :party
People may be right in their own eyes, but the Lord looks upon the heart - Proverbs

Return to Ann's Grammar Basics