To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Challenge/Accountablilty Buddy(ies)? (multi-genre)

Become a part of a Challenge Buddy Group today and work with other members to fine tune your entry (and help them do the same).

Moderators: Deb Porter, RedBaron

CatLin
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Challenge/Accountablilty Buddy(ies)? (multi-genre)

Postby CatLin » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:56 pm

Hello friends,

I need some buddies to not only advise me about my writing, but to keep me on track - encourage, browbeat, scold, etc, because I tend to lose faith in what I'm writing, stop, restart, and most times give up. Is there anyone out there who feels led to be my coach as well as my buddy?

I'm in masters, and as Deb suggested, mixed levels would be great. (Even tho I wouldn't mind if a more experienced/published master to come along side also!) A link to my profile is below, but I'll warn you that don't adhere to any one "genre". I write what and how God leads me. (When I don't, I usually fail.) My EC's, with the exception of a creative non-fiction, inspirational piece, and (most recently) a free-verse poem, have all been fiction.

I'm not an expert (despite the "master" label") but I'm a good proofreader and I have an ear for grammar. The kind of help I'd like to receive (in addition to proofing-in-kind of course) is the eye of a reader. The kind of input my husband gives. What he liked, what he didn't like, what he didn't get, or what was boring.

I feel like I just wrote a job application letter. :)

Anyway, reply here or pm me. I'd like to enter the challenge every week again. I'd like to make it priority again. But I haven't been successful in doing it alone.

Love
Cat
Catrina Bradley
FaithWriters Profile
Scattered Seeds
Jewels of Encouragement

"God rewrote the text of my life when I opened the book of my heart to his eyes." Psalm 18:24 (The Message)

philippa
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)

Re: Challenge/Accountablilty Buddy(ies)? (multi-genre)

Postby philippa » Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:20 am

Hi CatLin,
I felt very much in tune with your post and couldn't resist a reply. I am in the Advanced level (yes indeed it is like a job application!) needing one more first placing to reach Masters. That's if I remember the regulations.
Life has been a bit brutal this year and I found I had to put the Weekly Challenge on the back burner; though it was never far from my heart.
My greatest concern in putting my hand up for the Buddy system is that I work in a busy hospital and do my share of theatre call work which means I can, after doing a normal day's work get called in to emergencies during the night. It seems my only loyalty after such a stint is to sleep. If this happened for a few nights in a row it may mean I would let the team down.
And of course I am Australian: making your day my night and vice versa. That takes care of the nagatives.
I think you described a lot of my ways in your post. I love reading-have perfected the art of reading and walking simultaneously- believe I have an 'ear' for prose and a respect for the grit it takes to write even a 'half way' decent story. However if you feel you need greater assurances of talent and commitment I will in no way feel 'slighted'. Cheers, Philippa.

lancslass
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Postby lancslass » Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:59 am

You may not want me because I'm only in beginners and you're way ahead.

I like to write in a variety of genres but I'm only just getting started. I can, however,offer you a sense of the impact your work has on the reader and I have a sound grasp of grammar.

My name is Pamela Weeden; I'll try and post a link to my profile so you can see what my work is like.

YosemiteSyd
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Postby YosemiteSyd » Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:53 am

I also write in multi-genres but am focusing on stories and essays. Those who have replied to this post seem like a diverse group of busy people. Perfect!

I am in the Master level (tough crowd!) and have a critque buddy nipping at my heels in Advanced, my sister Cheryl von Drehle. My EC wins have been for poetry and stories -- most recently Pastor Jerr and Jesus at the Bean Punk cafe.

I like the changes Deb is making. Iwonder if Facebook would be a good platform for a critique group?

Sydney Avey
YosemiteSyd blogs at www.psalm49.blogspot.com

CatLin

Postby CatLin » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:50 am

It looks like we have a group!

Phillippa, I was extremely nervous to ask for a buddy too! I'm glad you responded. :)

Pamela, you are a perfect member! Of course we want you!! Readers are the best critiquers and I'm excited to be able to possibly HELP as well as receive help. :)

Sydney, I like your idea about FaceBook - I spend too much time there and making our group a "group" would actually make my FB time productive. ;)

Yay!!! Ok, now I guess we need to exchange emails? If anyone has been in a critique group before, feel free to take the lead here. I really don't know what I'm doing. :D

Mine email link is below, or (taking out the spaces) catrina @ faithwriters . com
Catrina Bradley
FaithWriters Profile
Scattered Seeds
Jewels of Encouragement

"God rewrote the text of my life when I opened the book of my heart to his eyes." Psalm 18:24 (The Message)

CatLin

Postby CatLin » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:52 am

I just noticed - with the "new" board format, the links below our posts are gone. Oops.:oops: Ignore that part of my message about the email link being below. :sorry
Catrina Bradley
FaithWriters Profile
Scattered Seeds
Jewels of Encouragement

YosemiteSyd
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Postby YosemiteSyd » Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:48 pm

:coolsign Is everyone comfortable with Facebook? If everyone likes this idea, perhaps Catrina could set up our page since she spends a lot of time on FB. :bow What shall we call ourselves?
YosemiteSyd blogs at www.psalm49.blogspot.com

philippa
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)

Postby philippa » Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:14 pm

This is wonderful :superhappy Thanks so much for accepting me. I agree you Masters are a very talented bunch and I have decided I have to look at it as aiming for the sky. How else can a person outreach oneself!
Face Book is cool. I haven't spent a lot of time (in fact I can't even remember how to write it properly--Sorry) there. I visit enough to know a bit of the drill. Off to church but will check back in after that. P.
E-mail is as follows: philippa_geaney at hotmail . com

Mod edit - spacing out the e-mail to protect it from spam bots :)

CatLin

Postby CatLin » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:02 pm

Sorry to desert you - if I ever disappear, don't be afraid to poke me and bring me up for air. :)

Will you three find and friend me on facebook? (You could probably use a SEARCH ENGINE. :lol: I've pm'ed you each my FB name. It's my "real" name, and I prefer not to connect it publicly (yet) with my pen name, which is splashed all over the internet. :D

Love
Cat
Catrina Bradley
FaithWriters Profile
Scattered Seeds
Jewels of Encouragement

Return to Challenge Buddy Groups