To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Find a Challenge Buddy (or Two ... or Three)

Become a part of a Challenge Buddy Group today and work with other members to fine tune your entry (and help them do the same).

Moderators: Deb Porter, RedBaron

lish1936
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: Find a Challenge Buddy (or Two ... or Three)

Postby lish1936 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:54 am

Never mind.

I went surfing just now and saw the new schedule. I'll forgive you, Deb for stealing my idea. :lol:
That's o.k. I'm just glad you could read my mind. :wink: :thumbs

Lillian :typing2
E-Book - Retirement Lane - How to Celebrate Life After 60

Fortunate 500

I write even when I think I can't, because I must. :-)

I love to write. Nothing escapes the crush I have on the written word. I'm hooked on words!!

"Let words bewitch you. Scrutinze them, mull them, savor them, and in combination, until you see their subtle differences and the ways they tint each other." Francis Flaherty

lancslass
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Postby lancslass » Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:59 am

I'd really like a buddy. I'm in beginners.

kahoosbt

Postby kahoosbt » Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:39 pm

Anja wrote:Ah, thank you, Jan, Deb, and Shari.

Shari, I know you said it wasn't mandatory, but then to have an understanding with one's buddies. I guess, to me, that sounded like we still had to sign up for buddies. Even with having an understanding of flexibility, I would just feel awful if I had to bail. Even once.

That being said, I wouldn't mind occasionally being a buddy.

I like Ann's idea of being an occasional buddy. I don't enter the challenge very often any more, but, if someone would like to PM me, I would be happy to look over an entry and give feedback on it occasionally, as my time allows, if anyone would find that helpful. (And if that is okay with Deb / fits in with the new challenge changes.)

But, with other projects I have going, I feel like I would NOT be able to commit to being a regular contributor to a buddy group.

Maybe there could be a place for people like Ann and me to note our "occasional" availability? :mrgreen:

Shelley

RedBaron

Postby RedBaron » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:26 pm

I think having occasional buddies, or like "subs" is a great idea! :) I'll start a thread and maybe sticky it so people can offer a hand when things come up for regular buddies.
<><
Shari
FW 500 Member

"...hunt like a spider..." Cori - FW Con '07

Allison

Postby Allison » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:24 pm

lish1936 wrote:Deb,
Hopefully, this will be the last question. :sorry The Rating categories will be very helpful in critiquing my work and others. My question pertains to how well these questions apply to poetry; i.e. grammar and predictability..opening paragraph hook... Should we consider other aspects when critiquing a poem? Rhyming, timing, etc?

As a former volunteer judge, I can somewhat answer this one for you. The way the ratings criteria are worded, they apply to all genres equally well.
Isaiah 40:30-31 (NIV)

lish1936

Postby lish1936 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:43 pm

Allison wrote:
lish1936 wrote:Deb,
Hopefully, this will be the last question. :sorry The Rating categories will be very helpful in critiquing my work and others. My question pertains to how well these questions apply to poetry; i.e. grammar and predictability..opening paragraph hook... Should we consider other aspects when critiquing a poem? Rhyming, timing, etc?

As a former volunteer judge, I can somewhat answer this one for you. The way the ratings criteria are worded, they apply to all genres equally well.

Thanks, Allison

Hope your special tribute gift is coming along.

Fortunate 500

I love to write. Nothing escapes the crush I have on the written word. I'm hooked on words!!

"Let words bewitch you. Scrutinze them, mull them, savor them, and in combination, until you see their subtle differences and the ways they tint each other." Francis Flaherty

Deb Porter
FaithWriters and Site Admin

Postby Deb Porter » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:51 pm

Hi Lillian. It's everywhere, including the Challenge home page at FaithWriters.

When you come to the message boards, do you check the newest posts or do you just browse? If you browse, you'll miss heaps. But if you always go for the newest posts, you'll never miss things.

On the Message Board main page, just at the very top of the list of forums, on the right hand side, you'll see four links to these pages:

View Unanswered Posts - View Unread Posts - View New Posts - View Active Topics

The best thing to do when you visit the boards is to click on the "View New Posts" link. That shows you all the new things since you were last on the boards. This is a direct link to that:

search.php?search_id=newposts

If I didn't use that link every time I visited the boards, I would miss so much.

Anyway, have a read of all the information about the new Challenge on the Challenge main page, or just here on the boards.

Love, Deb
FaithWriters' Writing Challenge Co-ordinator

Breath of Fresh Air Press - a little publisher with a lot of heart

grannyannie
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Postby grannyannie » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:18 am

This will be my first challenge entry; 750 words sounded like a LOT, until I began to write. LOL, are you sure that isn't a limit of 7,500 words? Mercy! :lol:

Deb Porter

Postby Deb Porter » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:36 am

grannyannie wrote:This will be my first challenge entry; 750 words sounded like a LOT, until I began to write. LOL, are you sure that isn't a limit of 7,500 words? Mercy! :lol:

:lol: I think most people know exactly what you mean. Bring out the scissors. :wink:

Love, Deb

grannyannie
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Postby grannyannie » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:04 pm

Allllllrighty then. Mercy sakes! My entry is whittled down from an epistle to a short story. I'm a very 'wordy' writer, LOL. I write ten pages then edit it down to maybe, if I try really hard; eight and a half.

As a devotional writer, this is only my second (adult) attempt at a short story, ever. Totally out of my genre~ comfort zone, but, I'm working at broadening my efforts. :? Writing devotions is different, you take the ten pages and divide them up into 12 "thoughts" and wala, 10 devotions. (the other two end up in the recycle bin--there are no bad ideas, just ideas that still need a lot of work haha :roll: )

A question, actually two questions. 1. Does the title line count in the word count? 2. Does the entry have the authors name and email on it as a header? (ok, THREE questions) 3. How do I find these buddies? A couple of folks sent me 'howdy hi' notes, but I'm not sure if they meant that to be a buddy invite. ? Soooo many questions---; sorry :sorry , my first time entering a challenge. LOL, I hope that I posted this right so I can answers! Mercy!

Deb Porter

Postby Deb Porter » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:16 pm

grannyannie wrote:Allllllrighty then. Mercy sakes! My entry is whittled down from an epistle to a short story. I'm a very 'wordy' writer, LOL. I write ten pages then edit it down to maybe, if I try really hard; eight and a half.

Well done! Image

1. Does the title line count in the word count?

Nope. That would be mean. (And I'm not that mean.) :D

2. Does the entry have the authors name and email on it as a header

Yikes! No. I'd have to remove it. (And it's a common mistake.) When you submit your entry, it is automatically linked to your account. So the system connects it with you, while maintaining anonymity until after the winners are announced. So no names in the actual body of the entry.

3. How do I find these buddies? A couple of folks sent me 'howdy hi' notes, but I'm not sure if they meant that to be a buddy invite.

Send them a howdy back and ask if they want to be your buddy. If they were just being friendly, then pop back here to the boards and post a new message in this forum.

viewforum.php?f=90

Hit the NEW TOPIC button at the top of the Challenge Buddy forum, and post a request for buddies.

Or you can make contact with some of the other people who have posted buddy requests. As people become more familiar with the new Buddy system, there will be more people posting and replying to requests. It's going to be an on-going thing.

Soooo many questions---; sorry :sorry , my first time entering a challenge. LOL, I hope that I posted this right so I can answers! Mercy!

Never apologize for asking questions. We love members doing that, and there's always someone around who can point you in the right direction.

Love, Deb

helen1975
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Postby helen1975 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:19 pm

Hi Annie,

The Title doesn't count towards the word count limit.

Not sure how the entries will be submitted now with the new changes, but they were submitted anonymously and the author revealed after judging/winners announced.

And if you would like some feedback, feel free to email me/one/all of the others from our link! I'll send an other email out with the others' email addresses for you; you then just have to reply with your story as an attachment.

Blessings,

Helen :D

cdawson41
Pencil 4 (150-199 Posts)
Pencil 4 (150-199 Posts)

Postby cdawson41 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:27 pm

I am still looking for a couple of critique buddies. I'm still in the beginner level and just need that added :eyes that will point out things the spell checker did not pick up on and I missed because I know what it was "supposed" to say.

I really have quite a lot of ideas I would like to write about and I really enjoy the challenges but seriously need a few folks that wouldn't mind reading over my writings for me.

I even tried some other sites trying to locate a few people but those "other" sites are not cool in my humble opinion.

Just message me back if you are interested. In return to making a new friend I would also be more than happy to read over anything you have and would try my best to help you out with it.

:thankssign
Cynthia

For I know the plans I have for you declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:11

Profile Page FaithWriters
http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=58736

My Web/Blog Page
http://cynthiad.weebly.com

lish1936

Postby lish1936 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:24 pm

cdawson41 wrote:
I am still looking for a couple of critique buddies. I'm still in the beginner level and just need that added :eyes that will point out things the spell checker did not pick up on and I missed because I know what it was "supposed" to say.

:thankssign

So sorry you're still looking. When the Challenge resumes, feel free to share your entries with me at Ls4mu@aol.com

Many blessings,

Lillian

Fortunate 500

tomoral

Postby tomoral » Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:19 pm

I need a buddy to proof my short story for punctuation mainly. I am still having trouble with the commas, semi colons, and certain types of quotations.

In short, I'm just a dummy when it comes to all that!

Any takers? :thankssign
God Bless the beasts and the children
Give them shelter from the storms.
Children are our tomorrow
Keep them daily from the sorrow
Of the beasts in life

http://www.faithwriters.com/websites/my ... p?id=57394

PreviousNext

Return to Challenge Buddy Groups