To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Find a Challenge Buddy (or Two ... or Three)

Become a part of a Challenge Buddy Group today and work with other members to fine tune your entry (and help them do the same).

Moderators: Deb Porter, RedBaron

glorybee

Re: Find a Challenge Buddy (or Two ... or Three)

Postby glorybee » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:58 pm

Lillian, grammar and predictability are as much an issue in poetry as they are in prose. I've read many, many predictable poems, and many with errors in grammar. I'm sure that the judges are aware that poetry has its own conventions for syntax, punctuation, word usage and the like.

As far as the criterion "Does the entry start well"--that also applies equally to poetry, which must also hook its readers.

The judges probably look at rhyme, meter, poetic devices, etc., when applying the third criterion (How well crafted was this entry?).

When picking a Challenge buddy for poetry, be sure that you find one who 'gets' your style, whether it's traditional rhymed poetry or free verse, and you should be fine!
Jan Ackerson

lish1936
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Postby lish1936 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:13 pm

Thanks, Jan

Faithwriters' is an awesome classroom, and it's nice to have you as one of its teachers; even though I often have to repeat the class. :D

Lillian :typing2
E-Book - Retirement Lane - How to Celebrate Life After 60

Fortunate 500

I write even when I think I can't, because I must. :-)

I love to write. Nothing escapes the crush I have on the written word. I'm hooked on words!!

"Let words bewitch you. Scrutinze them, mull them, savor them, and in combination, until you see their subtle differences and the ways they tint each other." Francis Flaherty

LindaSG
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Postby LindaSG » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:16 am

Deb,

I have a question that I know a couple of us are confused about.

Do we form into groups of 2-4 or more with all in the group
critiquing each other's work...
OR
does each individual writer have their own buddies
that only they share and critique with?

Because I have gotten individual buddy requests but
it doesn't seem apparent that any of them have requested the others.
I quite frankly don't know how all this is supposed to happen
or what the rules are
or how to handle this challenge buddy thing!

Blessings, Linda

Deb Porter
FaithWriters and Site Admin

Postby Deb Porter » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:12 am

Hi Linda.

The idea is to join into groups of two to four. So if you have had a few requests, see if three of those people would like to join a group with you and the two others. That group then critiques each other's work (so if there are four in the group, you will each critique the other three members' entries--more work, but more feedback as well).

If there are more requests than there is room in your group, point these people to each other.

There are no rules with this. It's just make a group, write your entries, share your entries with each other, and then give each other feedback to help fine tune.

That's why I said for people to post their availability for a buddy group here on the boards, and for people to respond to that post if it sounds like a group they would like to belong to. So once you have a group of two to four people you are all set to go.

But like I said, no hard and fast rules. Just make a small group (however many you're comfortable working with for each topic) and then communicate via email to share your draft entries and provide feedback.

Members were actually doing this years ago, but it got out of hand (at that time) with people using multiple buddies each time, while other people didn't have any at all. So we had to rein it in. Now we just want members to have the opportunity to get input on their entries before they submit so they can grow and develop as writers. We also want them to be able to learn to critique entries to help them develop that skill as well.

Basically, though, if someone starts a thread about looking for buddies, then they really should be the person to join everyone together in that group. After that, though, it's up to the members of that group how they make it happen. So if someone starts a thread about starting a group, then they need to come back and let everyone know when they have enough members. That way, others can start another thread for a new group.

Love, Deb
FaithWriters' Writing Challenge Co-ordinator

Breath of Fresh Air Press - a little publisher with a lot of heart

Anja

Postby Anja » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:11 am

Is it mandatory to be in a Buddy Group?

For me, it's "one more thing."
And I'd rather have the option to whip something up at the last minute without it "going before the board," so to speak.
And in the same way, finding time to complete MY share of the responsibility might be a huge issue, if someone were depending on me to critique their entry in time.

Not trying to be snarky, but if it's mandatory, I'm definitely out.
Ann Grover

"What remains of a story after it is finished? Another story..." Eli Wiesel

RedBaron

Postby RedBaron » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:25 am

I doubt it's mandatory. I think it's just a way of allowing people to get more feedback. As long as you have an understanding with your buddies, I'm sure it'll be fine.
<><
Shari
FW 500 Member

"...hunt like a spider..." Cori - FW Con '07

lish1936

Postby lish1936 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:29 am

I had some of the same "time" concerns. What is the likelihood of making the Challenge a bi-weekly event to go along with the new Buddy System, or is that suggestion too radical?

Fortunate 500

I love to write. Nothing escapes the crush I have on the written word. I'm hooked on words!!

"Let words bewitch you. Scrutinze them, mull them, savor them, and in combination, until you see their subtle differences and the ways they tint each other." Francis Flaherty

itsjoanne

Postby itsjoanne » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:30 am

lish1936 wrote:I had some of the same "time" concerns. What is the likelihood of making the Challenge a bi-weekly event to go along with the new Buddy System, or is that suggestion too radical?

You already have two weeks to put it together. IS that what you're talking about, Lillian? Or do you mean having weeks to skip in the middle?

Anja

Postby Anja » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:59 pm

RedBaron wrote:I doubt it's mandatory. I think it's just a way of allowing people to get more feedback. As long as you have an understanding with your buddies, I'm sure it'll be fine.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding.

Why do I need "an understanding with my buddies" if I *gasp-horrors* don't want any buddies in the first place?

Some seasons are busy here, even day to day, hour to hour. I don't want to have "buddies" that I'm going to let down because this week isn't going to work for me to read / critique their entries. Or next week. Or next month. But I might get a chance to do something the night before deadline. So my buddies see I entered, and oops, what happened? Ann submitted an entry but couldn't be bothered with us.
Ann Grover

glorybee

Postby glorybee » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:15 pm

Ann, it's not mandatory. Feel free to continue on as you always have.
Jan Ackerson

RedBaron

Postby RedBaron » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:19 pm

I'm just saying if you want to have buddies, but sometimes things get busy, they should be understanding if you need to step out for a bit. I believe I also said "I doubt it's mandatory."

Anja wrote:
RedBaron wrote:I doubt it's mandatory. I think it's just a way of allowing people to get more feedback. As long as you have an understanding with your buddies, I'm sure it'll be fine.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding.

Why do I need "an understanding with my buddies" if I *gasp-horrors* don't want any buddies in the first place?

Some seasons are busy here, even day to day, hour to hour. I don't want to have "buddies" that I'm going to let down because this week isn't going to work for me to read / critique their entries. Or next week. Or next month. But I might get a chance to do something the night before deadline. So my buddies see I entered, and oops, what happened? Ann submitted an entry but couldn't be bothered with us.
<><
Shari
FW 500 Member

"...hunt like a spider..." Cori - FW Con '07

Deb Porter

Postby Deb Porter » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:17 pm

Ann, Jan is right. The Buddy system is purely for people who want to be in a buddy group. No problem at all for those who don't want to be. It will be a great help for the people who want that sort of peer critiquing, but I know a lot of others prefer to work very much on their own.

Shari is also right with buddy groups. Although it's good if a commitment can be made to be in a group for one full period of the Challenge, there still has to be grace and flexibility in that. If someone can't participate for one topic, or more, then that's fine. That's why groups of three or four are probably better than just groups of two.

There's no pressure with this. It's just allowing members to get help if they want help before they enter, which is something we've vetoed for a long time.

Love, Deb

Deb Porter

Postby Deb Porter » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:18 pm

lish1936 wrote:I had some of the same "time" concerns. What is the likelihood of making the Challenge a bi-weekly event to go along with the new Buddy System, or is that suggestion too radical?

Lillian, I'm just checking to make sure you know that each topic now runs for two weeks.

Love, Deb

Anja

Postby Anja » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:31 pm

Deb Porter wrote:Ann, Jan is right. The Buddy system is purely for people who want to be in a buddy group. No problem at all for those who don't want to be. It will be a great help for the people who want that sort of peer critiquing, but I know a lot of others prefer to work very much on their own.

Shari is also right with buddy groups. Although it's good if a commitment can be made to be in a group for one full period of the Challenge, there still has to be grace and flexibility in that. If someone can't participate for one topic, or more, then that's fine. That's why groups of three or four are probably better than just groups of two.

There's no pressure with this. It's just allowing members to get help if they want help before they enter, which is something we've vetoed for a long time.

Love, Deb

Ah, thank you, Jan, Deb, and Shari.

Shari, I know you said it wasn't mandatory, but then to have an understanding with one's buddies. I guess, to me, that sounded like we still had to sign up for buddies. Even with having an understanding of flexibility, I would just feel awful if I had to bail. Even once.

That being said, I wouldn't mind occasionally being a buddy.
Ann Grover

lish1936

Postby lish1936 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:43 am

No, Jan and Joanne ( J. J. :lol: )

I didn't know about the change. Was it posted on another thread? What else I have I missed regarding the "changes?"

Fortunate 500

PreviousNext

Return to Challenge Buddy Groups