Could be reason for less entries?

The Challenge winners will be posted here two weeks after entries close for each topic, and the Highest Ranked entries will be posted sometime later that day or the next.

Moderators: RedBaron, itsjoanne, RedBaron, itsjoanne, RedBaron, itsjoanne

Colswann1
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)

Re: Could be reason for less entries?

Post by Colswann1 »

I think you're right Lillian (took the words right out of my mouth) and I've been thinking for some time that a part-time (maybe a couple of days) help with a little official remumeration would help the load become lighter, and not go amiss. :)
Colin Swann

Jesus’ love is constant and never wavers.
grandmalovesbabies
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)

Post by grandmalovesbabies »

lish1936 wrote:

Now, that's something we can and should all pray about. :helpwobble Needed.

Lillian: :typing2

Might be able to take down the helped wanted sign already...if I remember reading right, Shann volunteered to help out and lighten the load. They might want to seriously consider giving her a call.
In the twilight of my years, may His Light shine more brightly.

THRILLED TO BE A 500 MEMBER!

lolliehofer.blogspot.com
lolliehofer.wordpress.com
lolliehofer.wix/lollie-hofer
http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=33832
Colswann1
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)

Post by Colswann1 »

Not too long ago Deb said her Australian friend Lyn Churchyard was going to assist her and that she lived near enough to meet up with from time to time. But unless she's working silently behind the scenes I have not seen much evidence of her being around. :)
Colin Swann

GreenLeaves
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)

Post by GreenLeaves »

Just putting in my two cents... That may be all they are worth. I have been a member since Nov 2009 and so appreciate the efforts of Deb, Scott, and others who take on such responsibilities to help each of us grow as Christian writers.

I admit I look forward to the ECs and the Highest Rankings, even when I have not entered. But even though I have been fortunate enough to make the ECs a few times, it is really encouraging when I find myself listed in the Rankings. I so often doubt myself as a writer but this helps me to keep trying and improving. I suspect that is true for many.

All that to say, even if I may be disappointed when the Rankings are late, I really hope they are not discontinued. I would rather have them late than not at all.

Carol Penhorwood
http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=45576

"God has not called me to be successful, God has called me to be faithful." Mother Teresa

"...not to advance in the spiritual life is to go back. But those who have the gale of the Holy Spirit go forward even in sleep.". Brother Lawrence
Deb Porter
FaithWriters and Site Admin

Post by Deb Porter »

Hi everyone.

Believe it or not, the Highest Rankings is a grace thing I provide. I never used to, but I started doing it to be a blessing so people didn't feel discouraged.

I haven't read this whole thread yet, but the delay has a very valid reason. I've been travelling and on vacation for the last three and a half weeks. Since arriving home last Wednesday, I've been playing major catch up on everything (and nowhere near on top of things yet).

So please understand that when there is a delay, there is a reason for it. It's not a failure on the part of FaithWriters. It's just me.

I'm just about to post the highest rankings for Comedy of Errors now, but it really is a very tiny list (due to the smaller number of entries). It won't really give much more insight than the actual list of winners.

With the Much Ado Challenge, I actually thought I had posted them and was very surprised when I realised I hadn't. Human error there (in the midst of the Conference and travelling).

I don't believe any delay with the highest rankings has anything to do with lower numbers. It's just that some topics are a little tougher for people to work with.

Anyway, off to post the rankings now.

Love, Deb :D
Deb
FaithWriters' Writing Challenge Co-ordinator
Breath of Fresh Air Press

Breath of Fresh Air Press - a little publisher with a lot of heart

Shann

Post by Shann »

Deb,

I so understand that you are super busy and I deeply appreciate everything you do. I know much of what you do is because of your big heart. I do worry about you being overworked and that could have such an impact on so many parts of your life. If something were to happen to you then we would truly notice the difference in this outstanding site.

I realize you haven't read the whole thread so I'd like to repeat my offer. I would be more than willing to volunteer in anyway you need. FW has literally saved my life. I'd love to repay in anyway possible.

I'm posting this here instead of PMing you because I'm sure there are others who would be willing to give their time or perhaps someone will read this and think "Oh what a good idea!"
I understand it might be hard to trust virtual strangers with such important task, but if there are things I could do to lighten your load it would be beyond an honor. Especially now that many of my health problems are resolving, I would be more reliable than I might have been in the past.

Again thank you for what you do it helps many discouraged writers keep on writing. Oh one more thing I did notice this week there seemed to be more entries so I think part of the reason entries have been down is that it's just the normal cycle of life.

Also for those interested I know I mentioned in July that there were several entries with no comments or only one or two. But I have also seen in the last few weeks more people commenting on entries which ,whether we want to admit it or not, many of us do need feedback so maybe the fact that there is more feedback is a reason why there were more entries this week!

Again thanks for all those who work so hard to make this site work, even when we grumble we do appreciate the heart you all have. :bow
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child
OldManRivers
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)

Post by OldManRivers »

Deb,

I am now retired as of July 1. Blessed with time to share. I would love to give gifts of time and service to you and Faithwriters.

jim
May God's gentle grace be with you.

Jim McWhinnie
oursilverstrands
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Post by oursilverstrands »

gemstone wrote: I'm making an observation that's noteworthy. Not as a complaint, more of a suggestion. Maybe, you don't think anything about it, but my guess is others do.
I realize you haven't read the whole thread so I'd like to repeat my offer. I would be more than willing to volunteer in anyway you need.
I am now retired as of July 1. Blessed with time to share. I would love to give gifts of time and service to you and Faithwriters.
How heartwarming to read the response to a legitimate expression of concern. Whether or not the offers are considered, the sentiment expressed is laudable. :clap

Lillian :typing2
When Youth Fades
Available at: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=when+youth+f ... nb_sb_noss/

Fortunate 500

I have a love affair with words. I write, even when I think I can't. I'm hooked on words!

"Let words bewitch you. Scrutinze them, mull them, savor them, and in combination, until you see their subtle differences and the ways they tint each other." Francis Flaherty
Deb Porter

Post by Deb Porter »

Thanks Jim and Shann.

One of the things I came home determined to do was to ask for volunteers to help with little tasks here and there. Nothing set in concrete yet, but even an hour a week could help with some little bits and pieces.

To be honest, though, my FaithWriters work is only one small part of the story. I really need a personal assistant, at least a couple of days a week, to help me with all the other balls being juggled. That's not a financial possibility at the moment, though, so for now it's a case of streamlining everything.

Shann, you already do so much with the encouragement you leave people each week. That's invaluable. Jim, I've seen you doing the same thing. Those words of encouragement are such a blessing to people.

From October, things will be changing a little with the Challenge (part of the streamlining). I'll be sharing more on that in the next week or so.

Love, Deb
Deb

Colswann1
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)

Post by Colswann1 »

Deb, maybe streamling could include listing the winners and rankings all in one. I'm sure the winners wouldn't mind waiting a little longer for their postings whilst you get them all prepared together.

:D to have you back on the job!

Hope you had a lovely holiday, we're going for a 16 day Med cruise this weekend.
Colin Swann

jodybooks
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by jodybooks »

Hi! I don't think gemstone was "tearing down", just observing and expressing, which we should all be able to do. I love FW, it has made me a better writer. It is disappointing when things aren't on time, but I just wait until it's posted on Facebook, then go look. It's a schedule thing for me.

Have to be tolerant, though, because I don't always have time to read, critique and comment, which is my end of the deal...lol. God Bless Your Day!!! :D
"Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet."
Deb Porter

Post by Deb Porter »

Colin, I like to give the winners a chance to enjoy their moment in the spotlight first. Jo gets the list of winners from me early in the week, then she posts them at the same time as the winners are announced at FaithWriters. So that's never a problem.

Like I said, the Highest Rankings were just something I originally posted to be nice, and I do try to get them done on the same day the winners are announced. It just doesn't always work out that way.

Anyway, I certainly wasn't offended by Mona starting this thread. Things like that are important to share (rather than letting them become private irritations). I like to be the one to post the highest rankings to keep that point of contact with everyone, but when I get around to asking people to take on little jobs for me, that will probably be one of the little jobs.

Love, Deb
Deb

gemstone
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by gemstone »

Thank you, Deb. I knew you would see this as more of an observation than a complaint. My love for FW is why I want to see it kept strong. :thumbs :thumbs
helen1975
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)

Post by helen1975 »

Gemstone (Mona is it?!),

I just wanted to say I'm sorry if I made you, or anyone else, feel bad for bringing up and/or responding to this thread...I tend to react like Simon the Zealot cutting off ears, when it would do me well to think more about what's being said, and trusting the person behind the message. :oops:

Off I go to work on my grace :-)

Blessings,

Helen
Colswann1
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)

Post by Colswann1 »

Not to worry Helen, Deb's said that she'd rather us say what we had to say than bottle it up. I'm sure most in here join me in saying we love Deb to bits for who she is and what she does (like us, not always perfectly) LOL!! :)
Colin Swann

Return to “Results and Highest Rankings”