Subsidy Press -vs- Self Publishing (are they the same?)

Discussion and links regarding potentially problematic publishers, agents, writing contests, etc.

Moderators: RedBaron, itsjoanne, RedBaron, itsjoanne, RedBaron, itsjoanne

Deb Porter
FaithWriters and Site Admin

Subsidy Press -vs- Self Publishing (are they the same?)

Post by Deb Porter »

A new member posted a query regarding a specific subsidy press company, and I thought my response to her may help clarify the confusion many people have regarding the difference between self publishing and using a subsidy press/vanity press company.

There are a rapidly increasing number of subsidy press publishers (or vanity press publishers, to use the less flattering term). They should NOT be confused with self publishing (which, unfortunately, is a confusion that is encouraged by these companies).

If you self publish your manuscript, then you are the one acting as the publisher regarding every aspect of your book's production. If you go through a subsidy press company, they are acting as the publisher, even if they refer to it as "self publishing."

If you self-publish in the true sense of the word, you arrange for all aspects of production, etc., yourself. It is a lot of work, but you will ultimately receive a greater return for your investment.

The problem with subsidy press companies is that they usually charge an inflated price for the service of publishing; they accept anything for publication (even if they give the appearance of being "picky"); they do not require the manuscripts to be edited; they may charge for any changes after the second proof; and they pay very small royalties to the authors on what are usually over priced books.

Different subsidy publishers have different angles, so not all things will apply to them all. There are also types of subsidy publishers that give the appearance of selecting the books they publish, but then requiring a partnership payment from the author (sometimes an exorbitant amount). Sometimes this may come with a promise to refund that amount once a certain number of books have been sold retail (something that is actually quite hard to achieve for the average book published in this way).

If an author is considering using a subsidy press/vanity press publisher, they should first do a lot of research before signing any contracts. A Google search will usually provide a lot of discussion in writer's forums from people who have been both unhappy and happy with certain services. Don't just take one person's opinion (and don't base your opinion on glowing testimonies on the company's website).

Here is the bottom line regarding the three basic forms of publishing:

Traditional Publisher -- The publisher takes all the risks regarding the publication of the manuscript on behalf of the author. The traditional publisher makes their money by selling books, and then passes on royalties (at industry standards) to the author.

Self Publishing -- The author takes all the risks regarding the publication of their manuscript--including pre-press and post-press production tasks. The self-publisher makes their money from the selling of books. Although it is hard work, the author will have the satisfaction of doing it all themselves, and will hopefully see a return on their investment by recouping their outlay (and possibly more). Of course, this will totally depend on the standard of the book published. An unedited, poorly produced book on a common topic will struggle to make sales beyond the author's immediate circle of influence.

Subsidy Press/Vanity Press Publishing -- The Subsidy Press publishing company makes its money by charging the author, not from selling books (although they will make money from that as well). They pay small royalties to authors (at varying rates and at varying times). In other words, the author is still taking the financial risk, but their publisher is taking no risk at all--yet making more money out of the deal.

If that last sentence didn't make you stop and think, then go back and read it again.

So with a subsidy press company, the author is taking all the financial risk regarding publication of their manuscript, but is trusting a subsidy press publisher to undertake all the pre-press production tasks. (The layout and formatting will be undertaken, but editing is rarely part of the package, and believe me, this shows.) Although some packages may give the impression that distribution and marketing is included, this is a minimum, and even though it may say the books are available in Borders and Barnes & Noble, they are not physically available on book shelves.

Most subsidy press companies are print on demand (not a problem, as long as the author is aware of this) OR they require the author to purchase a certain number of books up front. This can lead to a huge outlay for the author.

So it's a case of being aware before you sign anything. If you go into it with a clear understanding of exactly what it is (and what it isn't), are aware of all the pitfalls of going with a subsidy press publisher, and basically just want to get your book in print, then it may be an option for you.

Otherwise, try submitting to a traditional publisher first, or try your hand at self publishing (in the literal sense of the word).

BUT whichever path you take, make sure your manuscript is polished as perfectly as it can be. Ensure it has been professionally edited for structure (not just proof read by a friend or two). As Christian writers, it is our responsibility to ensure we are presenting something excellent for God's glory. Not being willing to go with second rate. The market is flooded with very weak material at the moment, due to the proliferation of subsidy press companies and ease of self publishing. You have one chance to make a great impression with your book, so get it right before you even think of going into print.

Love, Deb
Deb
FaithWriters' Writing Challenge Co-ordinator
Breath of Fresh Air Press

Breath of Fresh Air Press - a little publisher with a lot of heart

yvonblake
Pencil 4 (150-199 Posts)
Pencil 4 (150-199 Posts)

Re: Subsidy Press -vs- Self Publishing (are they the same?)

Post by yvonblake »

Thanks, Deb... this helps me to understand things better.
Deb Porter

Post by Deb Porter »

My pleasure, Yvonne. Glad it helped.

Love, Deb
Deb

yvonblake
Pencil 4 (150-199 Posts)
Pencil 4 (150-199 Posts)

Post by yvonblake »

A couple years ago, at the FW conference, you mentioned the possiblity of you starting a publishing company. How is that coming along?
Deb Porter

Post by Deb Porter »

Getting there--and soon. But it will be to handle the FaithWriters' Challenge books to start with, and by considering the Page Turner winner each year. If all goes well, then the next step will be to publish a very small number of other books each year.

Love, Deb
Deb

yvonblake
Pencil 4 (150-199 Posts)
Pencil 4 (150-199 Posts)

Post by yvonblake »

YAY!!! :superhappy
quietman70
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by quietman70 »

Wow this was very eye-opening! Thanks a lot for all the information. I wasn't aware of most of this even though I've done some research into the topic. Apparently not enough though. And I hope you're publishing company has been successful by now!
Please check out my Unlocked Treasures Kickstarter Project to turn my life's work of poems & StorySongs into a beautiful book! http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/161 ... -the-heart
Deb Porter

Post by Deb Porter »

quietman70 wrote:Wow this was very eye-opening! Thanks a lot for all the information. I wasn't aware of most of this even though I've done some research into the topic. Apparently not enough though. And I hope you're publishing company has been successful by now!
Glad it helped. Most people who know me will know that this is my particular soap box (well, one of them, at any rate). :D

As for Breath of Fresh Air Press, it's on the verge now. The first FaithWriters book should be launched in August, newly re-branded and raring to go. This will be followed by the rest. I also have one separate publishing project definitely on the go, and I'm very excited about that.

So not long now.

Love, Deb
Deb

zacdfox
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)

Post by zacdfox »

This is just what I needed! This draws a perfect distinction where I saw none... Thanks for taking the time and effort necessary in putting together a great post!
Deb Porter

Post by Deb Porter »

Glad it helped Zach.

Getting the message out to writers about these distinctions has been my soap box issue for years now. I've seen way too many authors hurt by poorly produced, overpriced books. It breaks my heart for them.

Unfortunately, even some very large traditional publishers are going the subsidy press route. They know it's a license to make money. It would be so easy for me to do the same thing, but I refuse to go down that road.

(And my publishing business has been up and running for a year now, and it is traditional to the core.)

Love, Deb :D
Deb

zacdfox
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)

Post by zacdfox »

So, West Bow, a subsidiary of Thomas Nelson that advertises on this sight would be something you'd avoid?

Also, are you actively searching for authors? You are traditional through and through, so how is one to approach you, if say, they'd just finished a book?
Deb Porter

Post by Deb Porter »

Westbow is subsidy press. On a par with Xulon. They are up front about their services, which makes them a part of the better options If someone wants to go down the subsidy press road.

With Breath of Fresh Air Press, here's the Author Information page:
http://www.breathoffreshairpress.com/for-authors/

Blessings!

Deb
Deb

Sibermom65
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)

Post by Sibermom65 »

So if I want to self publish instead of using a vanity press, how do I get it printed and bound?
Shann

Post by Shann »

There are some sites like CreateSpace were you can self-publish for free if you know how to do layout. You do everything and they bind the book. There's another major company that does that too, but the name escapes me. CreateSpace also offers to do the layout and marketing and editing for a fee. But if you do the work, the only cost to you is the book and shipping. The more books you buy, the less shipping is. I was able to do a full-color, 32-page picture book through them. If I ordered 20 books at a time, it cost me a bit under $5 per book. I'd urge you to still pay for a good editor. So many people avoid that to save money and it's not worth it. It can ruin your reputation or name if a book with your name on it goes out full of errors. People will rip you apart on the reviews.

If you Google self-publishing companies, you'll get back mostly subsidy presses. The first one I found stated "full-service self-publishing, " which is a bit oxymoronic. :mrgreen:

If you only want a copy or two of the book for your family, you could do what my daughter did for me one mother's day. She took my poem and added her photographs to it and had it bound at Walmart. It was the best present ever. It might get costly with a lot of pages though. You could also go to Kinkos or Stables and have something similar done.

Basically, subsidy presses and vanity presses are the same thing. These companies have only one goal--to make money, so make sure you really research them before paying a ton of money.
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child
Deb Porter

Post by Deb Porter »

The more professional help you can get in the preparation of your manuscript, the better it will be for you in the long run. Proven, professional editors (structural editing, not just proof reading), cover design (which is not as unaffordable as you may think), and professional layout (poor layout will mark a book as unprofessional very quickly).

After that, there are options (such as the ones Shann mentioned and others). If you obtain professional services as mentioned above, then they may be able to help point you in some good directions.

Blessings!

Deb
Deb

Return to “Forewarned is Forearmed”