To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Pacific Coast Rest-Stop

A place for general chat (non-writing related). Please keep political discussions to the relevant neighborhood forum.

Moderators: cori67, RedBaron, Shann

Rebecky
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Postby Rebecky » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:43 pm

I will be around later or tomorrow everyone. I'm feeling dizzy and nauseous and I have a headache. I'm fighting to not throw up.
Dum Spiro Spero

kahoosbt

Postby kahoosbt » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:23 pm

Praying for Shann and Becky's health. (Did I miss anyone? I thought I was keeping up pretty well but was still 3 pages behind this morning! :? )

I'm also praying for your job situation, Barb. What a pain!

I read both yesterday's and today's passages.

I enjoy your "thinking" posts, Amy! I like to do that, too.

Oh, one funny... when I read yesterday's verses in Matthew re the wise men etc... it reminded me of the Christmas program one year at the Christian school where I taught. We wanted to be more accurate and have the wise men come to visit the child Jesus at a house, as the scripture indicates (instead of the baby in the manger as is often depicted). There was an adorable little almost 2 year old son of a lady in church who was going to play the child Jesus. He did really well in the practices...but we had never practiced having him come out in the dark between scenes as happened for the actual performance. So, between scenes everyone heard the little guy yelling "No, No...I don't want to". Well, the girl who was playing Mary knew the lights would be coming on soon and didn't want to be without some one / thing representing Jesus so she grabbed a doll. ...A ventriloquist's doll.

The lights wend up and she sat holding the "child Jesus" who looked remarkably like Mortimer Snerd. Everyone cracked up. It was so funny!

Does anyone know why Noah's nakedness (inside his own tent) was such a big deal? I assume that either "nakedness" as noted at that time meant something more than "just" that, or else it was a cultural thing. In our culture a son seeing his father without clothing would certainly not be worthy of a curse to his son! :wink: Anyway, that's one of those things I've wondered about each time I've read it.

Shelley
ImageImage
NEW! A Different Perpsective on Amazon, B&N, Smashwords
My blogs: Soul Searching Suspense - Indi-e Quality
ACFW Genesis Finalist 2011 (Suspense / Thriller) AND 2010 (Speculative)
2009 FaithWriters Page Turner Contest Runner Up

Sparrow

Postby Sparrow » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:15 pm

Well, we know which days Christ isn't coming back! Haha.

Barb and Leonie, so sorry. Praying for both of you!

Kara, yup, add me to the waiting to hear about your retreat! :)

Holly, hope your school goes well. I'll be meeting new teachers and students and coworkers today, too. Though today is just a one-time job so this won't be my regular class until tomorrow.

Shelley, I've heard a couple of different things about Noah's nakedness. One opinion was that most of the time when "nakedness" is mentioned in the Bible, it's refering to sexual activity. Another idea was the boy's attitude...that he was being distrespectful and mocking his father in an inappropriate way.

I gotta go get ready for work! See ya'll tonight.
Amy Michelle Wiley
Check out my booklet, Bring Your Writing to Life: a writer's guide to "show; don't tell". Buy it here.
My Website, Sparrow's Flight

tonguethaid

Postby tonguethaid » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:15 pm

Sparrow wrote:Well, we know which days Christ isn't coming back! Haha.

Barb and Leonie, so sorry. Praying for both of you!

Kara, yup, add me to the waiting to hear about your retreat! :)

Holly, hope your school goes well. I'll be meeting new teachers and students and coworkers today, too. Though today is just a one-time job so this won't be my regular class until tomorrow.

Shelley, I've heard a couple of different things about Noah's nakedness. One opinion was that most of the time when "nakedness" is mentioned in the Bible, it's refering to sexual activity. Another idea was the boy's attitude...that he was being distrespectful and mocking his father in an inappropriate way.

I gotta go get ready for work! See ya'll tonight.

It was actually Ivy who went to the retreat, but it took me a few seconds to try and remember what retreat I went to :wink:

Shelley- I have heard basically the same as Amy, where it wasn't simply that he was naked but there was something wicked in his intentions or actions.

I really like having a pastor for a Dad cause I can ask him all these questions and he answers with things I would have never guessed.
♥Kara

“The true harvest of my life is intangible - a little star dust caught, a portion of the rainbow I have clutched” ~ Henry David Thoreau

"If you are a dreamer,come in. If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar, a hoper, a prayer, a magic-bean-buyer. If you're a pretender, come sit by my fire, for we have some flax-golden tales to spin. Come in! Come in!" ~ Shel Silverstein

b24bomb

Postby b24bomb » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:52 pm

Hi, all. Just poking my head in before we sit down to eat. I'd appreciate prayer. I'm facing a disappointment right now, and I'm not quite sure yet how to feel about it.

Lauren Bombardier

I always thought I was strange until I discovered FW. Now I know its just cause I'm a writer. ~ Julie Ruspoli

"Why do books have to have so many pictures? It's annoying!" ~ Sierra

Sparrow

Postby Sparrow » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:24 pm

tonguethaid wrote:It was actually Ivy who went to the retreat, but it took me a few seconds to try and remember what retreat I went to :wink:

Yeah, I realized my mistake a few minutes later, but was leaving for work and didn't have time to fix it. Sorry, Ivy. I was thinking of you even though I said the wrong name. ;)

Holly, how did your first day back at class go? Have you had that one teacher's class yet?

Wren, praying for you. Let us know details when/if you can.

My first day of work went well. I'm sore now, but wasn't too much during the interpreting, so that's good. My teammate and the clients are nice and it looks like I'll be interpreting again in that class off and on this term, so that would be cool. It's a much more exciting topic than my regular class. :P

I accepted another job on Wednesday so I'll have five hours of work that day. Last time I tried to do that it didn't go well and I was in too much pain to interpret well the last few hours, but I'm doing less overall right now than I was then, so I think my body will be able to handle it better when it's just an occational thing and not all the time. I've done longer things in the past and did okay with them, so want to try it again now that I've been resting more.
Amy Michelle Wiley
Check out my booklet, Bring Your Writing to Life: a writer's guide to "show; don't tell". Buy it here.

AnneRene'

Postby AnneRene' » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:58 pm

Hi Guys....I'm just now reading the scriptures for today so haven't had a chance to catch up on posts but found this article about the Nephilim on CBN and wanted to share it with you. I like it! :)

http://www.cbn.com/spirituallife/inspir ... hilim.aspx

Before I read this article, I was outside talking with God and asking Him to show me His truth about the Nephilim and the one thing I walked away with as what I have always felt. It felt perverted to think of man and angels pro-creating, so that settled that. And then I went to a couple of sites but nothing was grabbing me and then I decided to check out CBN and all of this article sits well with my soul! :) AMEN.

Okay, back to the reading...be back later.

Sparrow

Postby Sparrow » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:22 am

AnneRene' wrote:Hi Guys....I'm just now reading the scriptures for today so haven't had a chance to catch up on posts but found this article about the Nephilim on CBN and wanted to share it with you. I like it! :)

Maybe I should read the passages instead of watching reruns on TV. :P I did read the link, though, and he said what I believe beautifully. Great link.
Amy Michelle Wiley

b24bomb

Postby b24bomb » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:39 am

Oh, and by the way, I have been doing the readings. I just haven't been able to get in here to tell you. I did come across this today - a Facebook friend posted it. I thought it applicable to tomorrow's chapters. I'm withholding comments on the article until I've read it again. One of the elders in my church recently did a sermon on the Tower of Babel and I kinda want to listen to it again, too.

Tower of Babel’s Ruins Waiting for Archaeologists

Lauren Bombardier

I always thought I was strange until I discovered FW. Now I know its just cause I'm a writer. ~ Julie Ruspoli

b24bomb

Postby b24bomb » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:41 am

Thought I'd post this, too. :D

Lauren Bombardier

Sparrow

Postby Sparrow » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:03 am

Oh, I forgot to tell a funny story on myself, at risk of ya'll realizing how much of an airhead I can be sometimes. :heehee

So after work I went to the restroom. I walked in past a guy at the sink and a row of urinals and was looking for seat covers before it FINALLY sunk in that I'd just walked past a man and urinals. :oops: :roll: :oops: I went rushing back out and mumbled "sorry" to the poor guy, but he just laughed. :P
Amy Michelle Wiley

b24bomb

Postby b24bomb » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:16 am

Lol...I did something similar on the last WSU bowling night. My group usually has a lane further down than we did this time, so I was a little disoriented about where the restrooms were. When I found them, I automatically went around the corner and entered the one there. The reason I went around the corner is that I've noticed over the years that they will generally put the women's restrooms so that the door is not as visible as the men's restroom door. Anyway, I walked right in without thinking about it, and nearly bumped into one of our school senators who was drying his hands. It took a second before it hit me that this was not only one of our male senators, but it was one whom I had seen earlier that day when I'd done an interview in the senate office for the school paper. THEN it hit me that the reason why he was in there was because I'd walked into the men's restroom instead of the women's. I yelped out a "sorry!" and backed out (without bumping into anyone else, fortunately) of the restroom and practically ran into the women's. I don't think he quite knew what had happened because I got out of there as fast as I could. :lol:

But at least I know now that he does wash his hands after using the restroom. 8)

Lauren Bombardier

Sparrow

Postby Sparrow » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:16 am

BEEE-YOOO-TIFUL picture, seriously. Love it. You two definitely look related. :)

Yes, doesn't it seem like they should always put the women's on the right and then men's on the left or vice versa? They switch them around so much, it throws me off. (that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it)

Weird... my cold is worse tonight. My nose didn't bother me much all day and now it's really running and I'm sneezing a ton, again. :? Thanks for praying me through work!

OK, so I'm reading the passages now. In Matthew, what do you suppose, "It is fitting for us to fulfill all righteousness" means in regaurd to Jesus being baptised?

Boy, John really lays it out for the Jewish leaders. If they make such a public declaration of repentance and faith, they sure better toe the line. God doesn't look kindly on hypocrites or hautiness.

For Genesis, I wish it discribed all the animals. Wouldn't that be cool? Because everything has changed so much now. I imagine there was only one kind of canine and one kind of feline, etc. back then. Though I guess there could already be some different species within each type....

It seems like that was the first time it ever rained. Before that it was just a mist like dew that watered the earth, don't you think? Scientist now talk about the "hole" in the ozone layer and blame it on human toxins, but many Christian scientists believe that hole came from the flood and that weather patterns changed after that.

Did you know almost every culture, even the isolated tribes in Africa and Indonesia, all have some sort of flood story in their folklore? And arcatecture sure supports the facts, too.

"But God remembered Noah and...all that were with him in the ark." I love that phrase. God thinks of us and cares, and then acts on that love.

Here in the rainforest of the Pacific Northwest, I see a lot of rainbows. :) Love them.

JoyAnn

Postby JoyAnn » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:26 am

JesusPuppy wrote:Well Spunky it could be that guy was freaked out about the angel walking beside you... that or the fact that you is sooo sweet and cute he couldn't help but stare. :mrgreen:

Haha nice. that made me smile.
~Jazzy~Tazzy~
~Tazzarina~Terror~
~Terrorizer~Princess~
~Spunky~PopTart~JoyBells~

"Oh, I KNOW I'm not confused."

"Yeah, I am a Moron."

In His Love and Mercy, Tiara Joy

Terrorizer41192@hotmail.com
(I can't even get into this one, so if you sent anything to it I won't get it....)
TiaraJoy's Profile

JesusPuppy

Postby JesusPuppy » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:32 am

Sparrow wrote:Oh, I forgot to tell a funny story on myself, at risk of ya'll realizing how much of an airhead I can be sometimes. :heehee

So after work I went to the restroom. I walked in past a guy at the sink and a row of urinals and was looking for seat covers before it FINALLY sunk in that I'd just walked past a man and urinals. :oops: :roll: :oops: I went rushing back out and mumbled "sorry" to the poor guy, but he just laughed. :P

You poor child. :(

:heehee :sofa
....JesusPuppy (or just call me Pup) Image

And just for the record, I am a Male.

"I am a writer, I do NOT lie... I fictionalise." JP

"The Lord Bless thee, and keep thee.." Num. 6:24

JesusPuppy Profile

Cypress Times, online Christian news paper.

PreviousNext

Return to The Water Cooler