To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Can we make it through these hard times?

If debating Theology isn't quite your style, but you love God's Word, please use this forum to encourage and be encouraged by sharing scripture, your own devotions and short questions to ponder. This is not a place for debate or argument.

Moderator: beaedwards

POO
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Can we make it through these hard times?

Postby POO » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:31 pm

Recently, as I thought about the challenges facing the US and the entire world, it was obvious these are no ordinary days. From moral crises to economic uncertainties, these challenges produce fears that cover the heats and sweep across the faces of people, christians inclusive. For those in the US, you understand what this nation is going through.

Is this taking us by surprise? What is the believer to do?
The US is ofcourse not the only country facing challenging times. Take a look at this prophecy

Darkness as black as night covers all the nations of the earth, but the glory of the LORD rises and appears over you. Is 60:2 (NLT).

Darkness covers the earth. Of course it is not the darkness of the literal night. It is the darkness of increased sin, violence, fears, crises, and all the evil you can ever imagine. Without wanting to sound so negative, the world is not getting better and we can see this clearly from scriptures. Do not expect the world to get better. It is moving towards destruction. Jesus fortold in Matt 24, "I have told you these things so that when they happen, you should not be taken off guard"(paraphrased).

This was not what caught my attention the most as the Lord was impressing this thought upon my mind from IS 60:2. Look at the second part and see something glaring "but the glory of the LORD rises and appears over you". As darkness becomes darker, even a tiny source of light appears brighter! I got excited when the Lord impressed this on my mind... that we should not be afraid of the darkness like the world around us who have no hope apart from impending destruction. The darkness is an opportunity for us to shine because in the midst of that darkness, His glory is arising upon us! What does that mean practically? In the days when people are baffled with economic challenges, the Lord will supply for His people in ways that would make the world notice a difference. When there is fear and terror in the world( darkness), the water of life( the Spirit) will fill believers with joy unspeakeable and full of glory! This is the light shining in darkness. It is experiencing something different from the others around you. And this is what unbelievers will see and notice that there is something different and then come to our light.

And nations shall come to your light, and kings to the brightness of your rising. Isa60:3

So brethren, let us be confident in our God and not allow the news or environment dictate our heart states. There is hope for us far beyond what the world can imagine. You are not a stray animal in a wide junkle wondering where to go. He knows and monitors every bit of your steps to keep you. All that is needed is to put your trust in Him. In these days, trust is our lifeline.

But blessed are those who trust in the LORD and have made the LORD their hope and confidence.(Jer17:7)
Patrick Oben, MD

Hosting Gracious Words of Christ(GWC) conf. call
No: 916-233-2999( UK dial 0844 316 0103). Access code 687706#. Saturday: 6pm, Sunday 8pm, EST

Return to Encouragement from the Word