To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Iowa: Des Moines Writers

Looking for a Christian writers' group in your area or have a group of your own? Use this forum to make the connection with other writers.

Moderators: Deb Porter, RedBaron

gotbooks
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Iowa: Des Moines Writers

Postby gotbooks » Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:06 pm

Anyone in this region interested in forming a writing group? I live in Ankeny, but since I don't even see any groups here for Iowa, I'll stretch it out to the Des Moines area :)

I majored in English with an emphasis Creative Writing and am currently a member of F&SF Writers Workshop on google groups, which meets in Second Life. I have written the first draft of a Christian Fantasy called The Tsadakeen.

The Tsadakeen is a Christian Fantasy novel set in an alternative universe where their "fall" caused a virus that turned man into a hybrid of man and animal. These hybrids are called Shofar, and have discovered a mountain range full of the precious stone, moker, by which they enhance their magic and have developed advanced weapons. An unlikely hero, Orino, comes upon the prophesied scepter of righteousness. This scepter has seven jewels with different powers that help him and his new band of followers fight the newest and most dangerous invasion of the Shofar.

I hope to hear back soon. Des Moines could really use a Christian writing group!

Psandboys
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Postby Psandboys » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:25 pm

I don't know if you remember writing this post since it dates back to Jan. 1st of this year. I have been a member of FW for 2 yrs now, really getting more involved in just the past couple of months. Just this afternoon I had the thought that I would really love to meet with other local would-be writers. So I googled "Christian writing groups in Des Moines" and this was the first thing that popped up.

I live in Swan (just south of Carlisle). Have you been successful yet at forming a local group? If so, I'd definitely be interested!

--Sarah Heywood

gotbooks
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Postby gotbooks » Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:32 pm

Hi Sarah,
I haven't been able to form a local group yet, unfortunately. Right now I am trying to get more involved in my two online groups. One of them is specifically Christian. You can check us out at www.holyworlds.org (I'm Timotheus). It is a sci-fi/fantasy forum, but there might still be some useful people to help you as a Christian writer. I'm on the east side of Des Moines now, which is about 25 miles away. If we had more people and a spot somewhere in the middle, it might work. There is a writing course in Des Moines by Noble Ransom. I'm opting out this time, but might consider it or something similar in the future to meet more Des Moines authors.

What kind of Christian Fiction do you like to write? If you're interested, I've got a website up at http://www.timothycward.com I'm always looking to get to know other Christian authors. :)

Psandboys
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Postby Psandboys » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:59 pm

I'll be sure to check out your website - thanks for the link. It occurred to me later today that perhaps you were looking for more like-minded writers to meet with. I'm definitely not into the sci-fi stuff. My writing comfort zone is centered around my own life experiences - motherhood, marriage, etc. But it would be nice to have a local community of preferably Christian writers just to know where the markets are, for encouragement, and motivation to keep on writing.

Please do let me know, though, if anything ever gets formed. Thanks so much for your quick reply!

--Sarah

Return to Christian Writers' Groups