In Search of a MoreAuthentic Voice 4/19/10

For Platinum 500 Members -- articles to help you hone your skills and Glenn Hascall's Ultimate Writing Guide

Moderators: RedBaron, RedBaron, RedBaron

Writetrack
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)

In Search of a MoreAuthentic Voice 4/19/10

Post by Writetrack »

This week's article personally speaks to me, as I am searching for a way to authenticate the character in my current work-in-progress. Much of the setting of my novel takes place in a health club/gym. Honestly, I haven't set foot in one for years (gasp!) so I have been considering joining, or at the very least, going in to talk to a manager or trainer regarding procedures, weight lifting terms, etc. And that's exactly what Glenn talks about this week. Here is a brief section near the beginning of the article:

We recently talked a bit about how personal observation can be important to capturing a good setting. Face it, you can draw from many emotional sources in an effort to infuse your characters with personality, but if you don't have a keen sense of the setting it is possible to really mess up the details.

This week I wanted to continue this line of thinking by extending it to the primary occupation of the main character.

To read the entire article, click HERE

If you'd like to access these wonderful articles, upgrade your FaithWriters membership to the Platinum 500 today. You won't regret it! For more information, visit: UPGRADE YOUR MEMBERSHIP

Return to “Writing Articles and Ultimate Writing Guide”