To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Tips and Tricks for Using the EZ-Site Builder

Queries about this free service for Platinum (500) members

Moderator: mikeedwards

Deb Porter
FaithWriters and Site Admin
FaithWriters and Site Admin

Tips and Tricks for Using the EZ-Site Builder

Postby Deb Porter » Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:14 am

Okay ... for all the 500 members who have used the EZ-Site builder, how about sharing any tips and tricks you've discovered for those who are just starting now.

Although I haven't actually used the EZ-Site Portfolio builder, I have seen a couple of things to watch out for.

Make sure you don't upload really large images. I've seen one or two portfolio pages that scrolled miles across the page because the images they used were too large.

Also, make the most of this page. Really think about the information you want to present, prepare it in your word processing program on your computer, and then paste it into the site builder. Remember, this is supposed to be your writing portfolio, so really show your abilities in their best light.

Love, Deb
FaithWriters' Writing Challenge Co-ordinator

Breath of Fresh Air Press - a little publisher with a lot of heart

Debboggy
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Postby Debboggy » Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:57 pm

My biggest tip would be to actually use the portfolio! The home page lists links to them apparently at random (the list is different every time you refresh the page). I clicked on tons of these links the other day, trying to see how others had worded their bios and what info they had included.

I was shocked to see how many people had no more than just their name with out a single article link, accomplishment listed or even contact info!

Another suggestion is to show your personality in your bios while keeping it professional. Many of them rambled on and on in a manner I honestly couldn't see being appealing to potential publishers browsing the profiles.

The ones that stood out the most (in a good way) were the ones that were personable, giving the reader a taste of the writer's personality, while staying focused on the purpose of the page--making the writer look like someone who should be hired!

My last tip would be to update regularly. There were a lot of profiles stating that something would be happening in the future, like in 2004! If it's outdated, it shows that it's not a priority to you to get noticed and get work.

An easy way to remember might be to either update with each new success, like placing in the challenge or being published. If that's not happening very frequently for you right now, then try to update every month or two.

:P
~Debbie~

PaddyO

Postby PaddyO » Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:33 pm

Debboggy wrote: I clicked on tons of these links the other day, trying to see how others had worded their bios and what info they had included.

I was shocked to see how many people had no more than just their name with out a single article link, accomplishment listed or even contact info!

Yes! I did the same thing. This isn't just a problem with people not using their resources. This also very much waters down other portfolios. I'm not going to spend time clicking links that most likely go nowhere. It makes the site look sloppy.

There should be a way to "opt-in" to the listings, or somehow another step that makes a portfolio page go from available to ready, and this step is what the random link section requires.

I very much enjoyed the portfolios I came across so I would love to see the people who have put in time to develop a portfolio enjoy the privilege of being highlighted.
~Patrick

A lover of truth, beauty, and occasionally silliness.

It's a Dance: Moving with the Holy Spirit

www.dualravens.com
Shoutlife!

Stand at the crossroads, and look, and ask for the ancient paths, where the good way lies; and walk in it, and find rest for your souls. -Jeremiah 6:16

Allison

Postby Allison » Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:41 pm

I need to start using that, but basically all my writing is for the challenges. I don't write too much outside of the challenge. Any suggestions?
Isaiah 40:30-31 (NIV)

Laurie

Postby Laurie » Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:46 pm

Debbie and Patrick, you make good points. I, too, have noticed that not many people use this feature, myself included. I'm clueless about such things, but I should just jump in and see what I can learn. Would someone be willing to help me if I have questions?

Debboggy

Postby Debboggy » Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:53 pm

Laurie wrote:Debbie and Patrick, you make good points. I, too, have noticed that not many people use this feature, myself included. I'm clueless about such things, but I should just jump in and see what I can learn. Would someone be willing to help me if I have questions?

Sure!

And Glenn, yours was one of the ones that surprised me to find blank. I'll have to check out the new you. :lol:
~Debbie~

firstacts

Postby firstacts » Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:01 am

I guess I just have too many pots and too few hands and fewer ingredients than the stew will allow and a heart with much love to share in a world gone wrong in a place called - wait a minute - what was I saying? :shock: :wink: :mrgreen:

Laurie

Postby Laurie » Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:46 am

Thanks, Debbie. I think I'll try working on it this weekend and it's nice to know there's someone I can pester if I get stuck. :wink:

RedBaron

Postby RedBaron » Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:35 am

I started mine just about as soon as I got my membership, but I need to update it a bit more. I did a little yesterday (spurred on by this thread lol) but want to do more.
<><
Shari
FW 500 Member

"...hunt like a spider..." Cori - FW Con '07

constantprayer
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)

Postby constantprayer » Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:17 pm

My portfolio was boring until I realized I could use html on it.

Now, I use it to introduce myself to magazine and newspaper editors that might be interested in my work. It is a great tool and has already worked for me.

I made a special link from my profile to the portfolio page which helps people get there easily.

Maybe, in the future, a web counter could be added to the portfolio pages. It would be interesting to see how often an author's portfolio is visited.

I encourage all of you to use the tools Faithwriters offers. :D
Cheryl Harrison

Has it ever occurred to you that nothing ever occurs to God?
~Nothing takes God by surprise.
~You will never hear God say, "Sure didn't see that one coming!"

My Blog: FreedtoWrite

My FW Profile

My FaithWriters Website

RedBaron

Postby RedBaron » Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:28 pm

Very Nice!
<><
Shari
FW 500 Member

"...hunt like a spider..." Cori - FW Con '07

Green Leaves

Postby Green Leaves » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:27 pm

I wonder if someone would be willing to critique my web page for me. I've worked on it some, but I'm not very good at that sort of thing.

http://www.faithwriters.com/websites/my ... p?id=45576
http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=45576

"God has not called me to be successful, God has called me to be faithful." Mother Teresa

"...not to advance in the spiritual life is to go back. But those who have the gale of the Holy Spirit go forward even in sleep.". Brother Lawrence

WriterFearNot
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

In Response to Green Leaves

Postby WriterFearNot » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:07 pm

I checked out your web page and can report that I am quite impressed. the bio is great, and wow, look at all those accomplishments.

My only suggestion would be to summarize your many accomplishments. For example, "I've been placed in the Jewel Chest X number of times during years X and X". I would summarize throughout, cutting the size of the list to a fraction of what it is now, giving special attention to the highest acheivements.

In this age of mass information overload, the fewer times a viewer needs to scroll, the more likely he/she will remain engaged.

Ironic, isn't it? As more information becomes available, our attention spans become shorter.

WFN :P

Cajunluvie
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)

Re: Tips and Tricks for Using the EZ-Site Builder

Postby Cajunluvie » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:11 pm

Just wondering out loud here.

Is it worth using the site if I don't have much of "articles" to share that has been published. My portfolio would be pretty thin. I do have an inspirational blog on Wordpress but that is about it.

Green Leaves

Re: Tips and Tricks for Using the EZ-Site Builder

Postby Green Leaves » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:28 pm

Thank you for the feedback! Your input confirms what I have been thinking myself...that I should condense. I was using it as well to keep track of my pieces but I think I should do that elsewhere.
I really appreciate you taking the time.
http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=45576

"God has not called me to be successful, God has called me to be faithful." Mother Teresa

"...not to advance in the spiritual life is to go back. But those who have the gale of the Holy Spirit go forward even in sleep.". Brother Lawrence

Return to EZ-Site Builder